Skepticism and Belief

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 01:28 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
With agreement here, do you think there is a serious problem in saying that belief in P means a willingness to assent to P?

By this definition belief would imply that the statements "I believe" and "I know" are the equivalent of each other, but they are plainly not equal statements.

But "I know" is not only the willingness to assent to p. In addition to belief (or the willingness to assent) two other conditions are also necessary for knowledge: a. adequate justification, and b. truth. So "I know" and "I believe" are not equivalent. If you know that p, then you believe that p, but if you believe that p, then it does not follow that you also know that p. (Just as, although if X is an apple, the X is a fruit; it is not true that if X is a fruit, then X is an apple. So, if X is an apple, then X is a fruit, but if X is a fruit, it does not follow that X in an apple. Thus, "I have an apple" ins not equivalent to, "I have a fruit).

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 05:54 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
But "I know" is not only the willingness to assent to p. In addition to belief (or the willingness to assent) two other conditions are also necessary for knowledge: a. adequate justification, and b. truth. So "I know" and "I believe" are not equivalent. If you know that p, then you believe that p, but if you believe that p, then it does not follow that you also know that p. (Just as, although if X is an apple, the X is a fruit; it is not true that if X is a fruit, then X is an apple. So, if X is an apple, then X is a fruit, but if X is a fruit, it does not follow that X in an apple. Thus, "I have an apple" ins not equivalent to, "I have a fruit).

I understand what you are saying, and I acknowledge that there is a difference between "know" and "believe". I am specifically referring to the statements "I know" and "I believe".

By our definition, someone who says "I believe" is also implying that they have justification and accept the content as being true. If the person were to say "I know" they are implying that they have justification and accept the content to be true.

For example:

To say "I believe Bob is in the house" I am implying that I have and accept justification to the proposition Bob is in the house.

Why would I not just say "I know Bob is in the house"?

By my estimation and the necessities placed on the statement "I believe Bob is in the house" I would supposedly satisfy all the requirements to also say "I know Bob is in the house". Yet, it is plain that I can differentiate between between the statements based on the degree of skepticism I have for my own beliefs.

Because of this, I would say that

I believe P if I would sincerely assent to the truth of P

is certainly false.

We can weaken it to:

I believe P if I would sincerely assent to the likelihood of the truth of P.

Where did nerdfiles go?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 06:29 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
I understand what you are saying, and I acknowledge that there is a difference between "know" and "believe". I am specifically referring to the statements "I know" and "I believe".

By our definition, someone who says "I believe" is also implying that they have justification and accept the content as being true. If the person were to say "I know" they are implying that they have justification and accept the content to be true.

For example:

To say "I believe Bob is in the house" I am implying that I have and accept justification to the proposition Bob is in the house.

Why would I not just say "I know Bob is in the house"?

By my estimation and the necessities placed on the statement "I believe Bob is in the house" I would supposedly satisfy all the requirements to also say "I know Bob is in the house". Yet, it is plain that I can differentiate between between the statements based on the degree of skepticism I have for my own beliefs.

Because of this, I would say that

I believe P if I would sincerely assent to the truth of P

is certainly false.

We can weaken it to:

I believe P if I would sincerely assent to the likelihood of the truth of P.

Where did nerdfiles go?

I think I said that I did not think that someone who says that he believes is implying that he has justification for his belief at all, since if I ask him why he believes so-and-so, he might simply reply, "I really have no reasons for my belief", I just believe that so-and-so. And, a person who says he believes that so-and-s0, of course, implies that he thinks his belief is true, else he would not hold that belief. But, on the other hand, remember that if it is discovered that his belief turned out not to be true, that does not mean that he did not have that belief. He did, but it turned out to be false. On the other hand, contrast that with a person's claim to know that so-and-so. Suppose now it turns out that what the person claimed to know was false. Can the person still claim to have known what he claimed to know (as he could claim to have believed what he claimed to believe)? No. He would have to say that he never knew in the first place. That he believed he knew (if he said he knew sincerely) but that he never did know what he claimed to know. So, although it is true that when I say I believe I am implying that what I believe is true, and when I say that I know, I am implying that what I know is true, the resemblance stops there, since believing does not imply truth, but knowing does imply true, since if I believe and I am wrong, I still believed. But if I claim to know, and I am wrong, then I did not know at all.
Your "Bob" example neglects the fact that I should not say I know unless I have adequate justification for saying that I know, but I can say "I believe" if I have no justification, or weak justification. That is why when I say that I know that Bob is at home, may ask me, "Do you really know he is, or do you just believe he is?" That question, of course, goes to the justification I have for claiming to know rather than claiming to believe.

nerdfiles

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 06:37 am
@nerdfiles,
It should be clear that some instances of "I believe that such-and-such is the case" is itself a misleading linguistic sample of "belief-that" utterance.

It's not always cases that are believed, but nor is it just the opposite ("belief in"). "I believe that you are pretty" or "I believe that the film was a decent one" etc. Sometimes these utterances may involve relations between this or that ("Beauty" and "persons"), properties and other properties ("redness" and "warmth"), etc--not really cases. Nevertheless, these are still valid examples of belief but they're not entirely just opinion. Even then, opinions can be justified and may in some cases tend to truth.

"I believe that Bob is outside" does not imply justification nor does it imply truth. It's closer to a bet or a guess but a shade stronger than these. Plus, there's a reason behind it, though that reason may not manifest linguistic or cognitively. It may be a faint recalling or it may just be strange to suppose that one ought to justify herself when she utters it.

By our conventional use of these verbs, we do not expect justification from those who say they believe, but do when they say they believe. Remember: Linguistic practice is social. These necessary and sufficient conditions we're playing with are rough and loose approximations of what people mean when they say what they say, and what the underlying approximated concepts they work with.

Dichanthelium

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 06:27 pm
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
It should be clear that some instances of "I believe that such-and-such is the case" is itself a misleading linguistic sample of "belief-that" utterance.

It's not always cases that are believed, but nor is it just the opposite ("belief in"). "I believe that you are pretty" or "I believe that the film was a decent one" etc. Sometimes these utterances may involve relations between this or that ("Beauty" and "persons"), properties and other properties ("redness" and "warmth"), etc--not really cases. Nevertheless, these are still valid examples of belief but they're not entirely just opinion. Even then, opinions can be justified and may in some cases tend to truth.

"I believe that Bob is outside" does not imply justification nor does it imply truth. It's closer to a bet or a guess but a shade stronger than these. Plus, there's a reason behind it, though that reason may not manifest linguistic or cognitively. It may be a faint recalling or it may just be strange to suppose that one ought to justify herself when she utters it.

By our conventional use of these verbs, we do not expect justification from those who say they believe, but do when they say they believe. Remember: Linguistic practice is social. These necessary and sufficient conditions we're playing with are rough and loose approximations of what people mean when they say what they say, and what the underlying approximated concepts they work with.

I think this is in tune with your comments...Let me know if you think this is at all helpful, or if I am overlooking something....I would like to know what people think about the idea that maybe we use the term "believe" in a very wide variety of contexts and that we ascribe a very wide variety of connotations to it, and and we utter the term with a wide variety of inflections and that this tends to obscure definitiveness. For example,

"I believe that with all my heart." = "As far as I'm concerned, that is an indisputable fact."

"I believe this is a good pumpkin pie." = "I'm fairly certain it is, but I haven't confirmed it."

Zetherin

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 06:54 pm
@nerdfiles,
"I believe this is a good pumpkin pie." is preferential, and outside the realm of 'true', 'false', unless the person is implying a standard with which the comment will be evaluated: I believe according to X standard, this is a good pumpkin pie. Without an objective means to rationalize, it is nothing but preference. If there is no standard, how would one seek a confirmation, how would one seek to confirm truth? Majority vote? *Feeling*? A pumpkin pie could win a "Best Pie" contest in Arizona, and lose in a "Best pie" contest in England.

"I believe that with all my heart" is figurative for having stronger feelings for the particular thought.

Belief, in the contexts you've provided, seems to be outside the realm of fact, truth. But I do understand where you're going: The word is so semantically flexible, it could be a placeholder for so many different verbs (think, feel, etc.), thus lending it to obscure definitiveness. And I do think this is what nerdfiles was articulating.

So where are we now? It's clear the necessary and sufficient conditions vary depending on the "belief" used. Shall we make a list of commonly formed sentences containing "belief" with which to evaluate and place in categories? For instance, "I believe this pumpkin pie is good" would be in a different category than, "I believe Hydrogen is an element on the periodic table". Also, we would note the necessary and sufficient conditions which lead to the different 'types'.

nerdfiles

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 07:53 pm
@nerdfiles,
Logical grammar and linguistic grammar

We should, or at least I set us out to (perhaps not conspicuously), concern ourselves with belief-that statements where the "that" calls for a proper declarative statement.

Declarative statements are subjective-predicate statements (or noun-[grammatical-predicate]) which can record facts about the world on their own outside of the belief-context. [INDENT]Caveat (non-essential to this post): Though it is not necessary that all declarative statements do this. They simply can. And they are the best candidates to do this. For instance, "Billy is the number 4" is a English grammatico-declarative, but this statement records no fact about the world, given our understanding of the concept of persons and the concept of number. Numbers and numerals are not the same thing. No person could possibly be a number. Though one could dress up like a number, but in that case the person would be dressed up like the symbolic representation of, say, the number 4, which is the numeral "4". This is a marking. Numbers themselves do not exist as such in the world; their corresponding numbers do. I can write twenty number 4s on a piece of papers, but what I would be writing is the numeral that represents the concept of the number. So one could, in a figurative way, be the numberal 4, but one could not, even in a figurative way, be the number 4. An expression or proposition which intimates this notion would be devoid of sense.
[/INDENT]Thus, these statements are propositions which can express facts about reality.

So, the belief-context is represented by "X believes that ..." or "X believes that p" where "..." and "p" call for propositions (which, again, can express facts about reality).

Naturally, we find ourselves asking, "What is a 'fact'? What is 'reality'?" And, "What does it mean for a proposition to stand on its own?

Best to go by examples. Lookit: "This pumpkin pie is good" cannot be a fact because though it is a grammatical statement, its proposition is ambiguous. This should be self-evident. This proposition cannot record a fact. Looking at the predicate ("is good") clearly shows that this statement, though grammatical, does not sufficiently have a sense. And if it were to have a sense, we could still say, "Look: It's too ambiguous. For example, 'This dog is well-trained.' Which dog? What is our standard? etc"

Next: "with all my heart" is obviously not a grammatical statement; so it makes no sense to ask questions about whether it expresses a proposition.

We're looking at propositional-belief and propositional-knowledge. We don't need to look at the conditions under which one might "believe in" the Communist party. We can easily manufacture convincing examples (involving psychology, etc) for why people might be prone to believe in certain objects. This would be unilluminating.

The only category of belief we are concerned with is propositional-belief; belief insofar as it can possibly tend to truth.

There's no truth to be had from preferences or conviction. Preferences cannot be true nor can conviction.

In philosophy, we call the possibility of expressing a fact bit the constraints of logical grammar. So, the rule may be expressed thus: After passing linguistic grammar, an expression or (linguistic-grammatical) statement must also meet the requirements of logical grammar which states that the given statement must be capable of expressing a proposition (a thing which expresses a fact about the world, reality, etc). Non-logico-grammatical propositions might be
(i) "Bob is hello",
(ii) "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously",
(iii) "jalskjd askldjls skskj" (which just so happens to fail the linguistic grammar test), and (to be cheeky) as far as the logical positivists were concerned:
(iv) "God is omnipotent and all-good" or
(v) "The Absolute is sleeping" or
(vi) "Substance consists of an infinity of attributes" and for physicalists (to make this interesting)
(vii) "X believes that Y" (it has a sense, so it passes both tests) is systematically false or merely coincidentally true if the ascriber does not treat "believes" as a neuronal state of the brain.

One take on the question

One idea I have for a necessary condition for belief is that the content of that belief ("the proposition") be thinkable (as opposed to, say, "X thinks that P"--thinkable seems to presuppose vaguely a normative constraint).
Thus, we cannot believe contradictions.

So, S believes that P only if "P" is thinkable; by contraposition: If P is not thinkable, then S does not believe that P.

This obviously rules out belief in squared-circles (under a literal meanings and normal grammar). More generally, we cannot believe that where the clause following that is an outright (and confirmed) piece of nonsense.

(1) Sam believes that he saw a squared circle yesterday only if "Sam saw a squared circle yesterday" is thinkable.

By our contraposition, the "thinkable"-part is false (and perhaps necessarily false). Therefore, it follows that the "belief"-part is false.

If the conditional statement itself somehow got 'round the material implication of the "belief"-part being false, we'd either need to (a) readdress our rule about thinkability or (b) the conditional statement itself would be vacuously true (ignoring the thinkability constraint), in which case, we'd still need to determine why thinkability is not a reasonable or relevant constraint.

Another example by analogy (it is important, so fundanmentally important, that I stress this word A-N-A-L-O-G-Y)

Look at my "knowledge definition" example.

S knows P iff
S believes P
S justifies P
P is true

What I've said here about belief is exampled by the knowledge definition.

Suppose S does not believe that P. Can we speak of someone knowing something without believing it? Can someone know a falsity (not in the sense that you know that it is false--this would rather be S knows that ~P). Can someone be said to know something if that person has no justification whatsoever or insufficient justifications?

Thus, one part of knowledge involves, as is evidenced by my questions: S knows P only if S believes P.

By contraposition (and regardless as to the truth-values of the justification-condition and the truth-condition): If S does not believe P, then S does not know P. Thus, S does not know P, regardless of the truth-value of the other two conditions, if S does not believe P.

A tricky case

So, a lawyer might justify that the defendant committed the murder, and it might be truth that the defendant committed the murder. But if the lawyer does not believe it, then the lawyer does not know it.

But one would think: If the lawyer can stand up in front of a jury, judge, etc, she certainly must know it. This example is supposed to test our definition of knowledge given (by me).

Try to think of ways in which the definition of knowledge survives this test.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 05:25 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:

Please note that I am not dealing in any way with specifics. I am not saying "Well this time, the person didn't really believe" or "this time the person would be using an ambiguous use of the word 'believe'".

I am dealing specifically with the working definition so far.

So far we have had these proposed:

Quote:
C.S. Peirce held that to believe a proposition is to be willing to use that proposition in an argument. Another, somewhat different notion is that to believe that p is to accept p as true.

Quote:
So perhaps,

X believes P iff X would sincerely assent to P

Both of these imply truth, although the latter is graciously lenient on just how much truth. I take it as fact that, while truth itself may need no justification, human interpretation of truth does always need justification. So anytime a person proclaims the truth, he does so meaningfully only when he is prepared to provide justification.

So it seems that we now say:

X believes P if X would sincerely assent to the likelihood of P

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 05:39 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:

A tricky case

So, a lawyer might justify that the defendant committed the murder, and it might be truth that the defendant committed the murder. But if the lawyer does not believe it, then the lawyer does not know it.

But one would think: If the lawyer can stand up in front of a jury, judge, etc, she certainly must know it. This example is supposed to test our definition of knowledge given (by me).

Try to think of ways in which the definition of knowledge survives this test.

I deny that she certainly must know it.

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 06:31 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Please note that I am not dealing in any way with specifics. I am not saying "Well this time, the person didn't really believe" or "this time the person would be using an ambiguous use of the word 'believe'".

I am dealing specifically with the working definition so far.

So far we have had these proposed:

Both of these imply truth, although the latter is graciously lenient on just how much truth. I take it as fact that, while truth itself may need no justification, human interpretation of truth does always need justification. So anytime a person proclaims the truth, he does so meaningfully only when he is prepared to provide justification.

So it seems that we now say:

X believes P if X would sincerely assent to the likelihood of P

"Truth doesn't need justification"? Maybe in Plato's Heaven, but let's talk about less fanciful business. (And even then, he wrote mounds of literature attempting to justify his claim... So I can hardly make sense of what you mean or what you could try to mean. And certainly capitalizing the "T" does not show that "Truth" exists or is worth talking about as different from everyday lowercase-human-truth. If you start going on with this "Truth doesn't need justification business, I'll start to mistake you for user: MJA. You don't want that, do you?)

Being prepared to provide justification does not determine that one is speaking or expressing himself meaningfully. If I utter "The cat is the number 4 every Monday at 9'o clock" I cannot be granted that I speak meaningfully on account of my willingness to justify such a claim. And I certainly cannot say its true. It's senseless, this statement; it is devoid of meaning. Meaning comes before knowledge, justification, truth, belief, etc.

Contradictions are meaningless. This determinations comes before knowing them, justifying them, them being true (obviously absurd) or believing them. You can know that a contradiction is a contradiction. But you cannot know that P and ~P. For one, its false. And you cannot know a false proposition; though you can know that it is false.

Assent nor willingness to use in argument does not imply truth unless you're working with a funny notion of implication.

S knows P implies that P is true. By contraposition, if P is false, S does not know P. (Like with contradictions.)

S assents to P implies that P is true. By contraposition, if P is false, S does not assent to P. Obviously this is absurd. People assent to false propositions all the time; e.g. pertaining to witches, God, aliens, conspiracy theories, astrology, etc.

S uses P in argument implies P is true. By contraposition, if P is false, S does not use P in argument. Again, people use false premises in arguments all the time. If you mere use of a statement in argument determined its truth-value, we'd eventually all start speaking tautologies.

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 06:33 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
I deny that she certainly must know it.

And your argument for this denial? "Try and think" means a bit more than "what's your guttural reaction?"

It's obviously not a yes-or-no question. I'm not sure why you would presume this in word or deed.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 06:43 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles;56216 One idea I have for a necessary condition for belief is that the content of that belief ("the proposition") be [I wrote:
thinkable [/I](as opposed to, say, "X thinks that P"--thinkable seems to presuppose vaguely a normative constraint).
Thus, we cannot believe contradictions.

So, S believes that P only if "P" is thinkable; by contraposition: If P is not thinkable, then S does not believe that P.

A religious person may believe that there is the Holy Trinity, but might admit that he does not have any idea how one thing can also be three things. But he believes it because his Church tells him it is true. So, here is a case where something is not thinkable, but it is believed, nevertheless.

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 06:56 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
A religious person may believe that there is the Holy Trinity, but might admit that he does not have any idea how one thing can also be three things. But he believes it because his Church tells him it is true. So, here is a case where something is not thinkable, but it is believed, nevertheless.

You give up so easily. If someone says "I cannot think that a square circle exists, but I believe that they do" would you give up so easily? Or would you say that's a case of meaningless believing?

In what sense is it being believed? This case and the "religious" case?

Are you saying a necessary condition for belief is that it be acquired through some social means?

(1) S believes P only if S acquires P through some particular social means.

Seems harmless and unhelpful this (1). Seems that we all get our "beliefs" through some form of inculturation. Nothing surprising here. But is believing in your religious case even related to propositional-belief? Do you find yourself saying "He still believes Y because his community would ostracize him for it"?

Well, if that's the case, you haven't refuted my definition. You've only delved into a definition of belief ("belief in" for instance) that I never set out to attack in the first place.

I made this clear: Propositional-belief. Whether or not spinning circles in church is "believing in action" is not my concern here. All you've suggested to me is that religious people say they belief but don't actually believe.

Do we want to suggest that saying one believes such-and-such is believing such-and-such?

Do we want to drift into language games? "Believing" and "belief that such-and-such is the case" or "opining" are family resemblance terms?

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 07:37 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
"Truth doesn't need justification"? Maybe in Plato's Heaven, but let's talk about less fanciful business. (And even then, he wrote mounds of literature attempting to justify his claim... So I can hardly make sense of what you mean or what you could try to mean. And certainly capitalizing the "T" does not show that "Truth" exists or is worth talking about as different from everyday lowercase-human-truth. If you start going on with this "Truth doesn't need justification business, I'll start to mistake you for user: MJA. You don't want that, do you?)

Being prepared to provide justification does not determine that one is speaking or expressing himself meaningfully. If I utter "The cat is the number 4 every Monday at 9'o clock" I cannot be granted that I speak meaningfully on account of my willingness to justify such a claim. And I certainly cannot say its true. It's senseless, this statement; it is devoid of meaning. Meaning comes before knowledge, justification, truth, belief, etc.

Contradictions are meaningless. This determinations comes before knowing them, justifying them, them being true (obviously absurd) or believing them. You can know that a contradiction is a contradiction. But you cannot know that P and ~P. For one, its false. And you cannot know a false proposition; though you can know that it is false.

Assent nor willingness to use in argument does not imply truth unless you're working with a funny notion of implication.

S knows P implies that P is true. By contraposition, if P is false, S does not know P. (Like with contradictions.)

S assents to P implies that P is true. By contraposition, if P is false, S does not assent to P. Obviously this is absurd. People assent to false propositions all the time; e.g. pertaining to witches, God, aliens, conspiracy theories, astrology, etc.

S uses P in argument implies P is true. By contraposition, if P is false, S does not use P in argument. Again, people use false premises in arguments all the time. If you mere use of a statement in argument determined its truth-value, we'd eventually all start speaking tautologies.

First, when I say that truth itself does not need justification, I mean that truth precedes justification. We cannot actually explain why something is true, as truth cannot be explained. When we provide justification, we explain why we should accept it as true. Justification does not make truth, truth makes justification.

I also do not mean to say that all language requires justification to be meaningful, I simply mean that all language that expresses truth requires justification. If I say "P is true" without some discription of the world upon which to stake my claim, I say absolutely nothing. I can simply continue to throw truth claims into infinity without inputting any meaning. "It is true that it is true that it is true that P is true" says absolutely nothing more than "P". Saying "P is true" is only meaningful whenever it serves as a shortened, palatable version of "You should believe P for these reasons:....".

I also am attacking the ability to use "sincerely assent" as criteria. It is obvious that people can and will assent to propositions that are untrue. However, were one to sincerely assent, one has accepted the truth of the proposition (even if the acceptance is unfounded). Once one has accepted the truth of proposition P, one ceases to say "I believe P" in favor of "I know P".

My apologies if I am grab-assing again.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 07:44 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
You give up so easily. If someone says "I cannot think that a square circle exists, but I believe that they do" would you give up so easily? Or would you say that's a case of meaningless believing?

Are you saying a necessary condition for belief is that it be acquired through some social means?

No. I am simply pointing out that someone may believe something he cannot understand on the authority of someone whom he believes has the authority to to inform him of what it true. So, the person in my example is someone who says, "I don't understand what it means for something to be three in one, but if my priest tells me that is true, then I believe it is true". The sense of "belief" is the usual sense": "accepted as true".

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 07:50 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
And your argument for this denial? "Try and think" means a bit more than "what's your guttural reaction?"

It's obviously not a yes-or-no question. I'm not sure why you would presume this in word or deed.

I am not answering your question and I never presumed it to be so. I cannot "try and think of definitions for truth that survive this test" when I see no test presented.

It also seemed as if you assumed it to be plain as day that the lawyer must know, and I hoped my gainsaying would prompt an description of what I am not seeing.

If you want my opinion of your test, I have no doubt that, with seven years of tutelage and a divorcement from moral considerations, I would have no difficulty convincing average strangers of propositions that I believe to be absurd.

Honestly, has there ever been a greater tool for retarding the pursuit of truth than the spoken word?

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 07:53 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
No. I am simply pointing out that someone may believe something he cannot understand on the authority of someone whom he believes has the authority to to inform him of what it true. So, the person in my example is someone who says, "I don't understand what it means for something to be three in one, but if my priest tells me that is true, then I believe it is true". The sense of "belief" is the usual sense": "accepted as true".

Right. Given the example we do not call it a case of belief.

If I say "Believe X or I will shoot your entire family and assassinate the President and crush your dog under a heavy box" what in God's name has anything AFTER the "or" to do with belief? It's coercion. It's not belief. So don't call it belief. You wouldn't accept that a trained parrot believes things simply because it can utter a string of sounds like resembles "I believe God exists." You wouldn't start looking for religious parrots because you wouldn't count that as a genuine belief.

Propositional belief doesn't mean "accept as true". If by "belief" you do mean this, then you're not even talking to me. We'll be talking past each other for the entirety of this discussion.

Again, countradiction example (you really need to sit and think about contradictions and what it means to believe them): "If my priest tells me that {the house is on fire and the house is not on fire}, then I believe that the house is on fire and the house is not on fire is true"

No one, regardless of the source, can believe a contradiction. Whether it is a priest or the President or God.

You cannot believe a contradiction nor can you believe that a contradiction is true.

A contradiction cannot possibly be true. You cannot believe something that is not true and which cannot possibly be true.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 07:55 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:

(1) S believes P only if S acquires P through some particular social means.

Seems harmless and unhelpful this (1). Seems that we all get our "beliefs" through some form of inculturation. Nothing surprising here. But is believing in your religious case even related to propositional-belief? Do you find yourself saying "He still believes Y because his community would ostracize him for it"?

Well, if that's the case, you haven't refuted my definition. You've only delved into a definition of belief ("belief in" for instance) that I never set out to attack in the first place.

I made this clear: Propositional-belief. Whether or not spinning circles in church is "believing in action" is not my concern here. All you've suggested to me is that religious people say they belief but don't actually believe.

Do we want to suggest that saying one believes such-and-such is believing such-and-such?

Do we want to drift into language games? "Believing" and "belief that such-and-such is the case" or "opining" are family resemblance terms?

Contrasting the completeness of God with the incompleteness of human knowledge, the perfection of God with the fallibility of humans, is universal amongst Abrahamic religions.

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 08:02 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Contrasting the completeness of God with the incompleteness of human knowledge, the perfection of God with the fallibility of humans, is universal amongst Abrahamic religions.

I do not follow.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 08:09 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
I do not follow.

People accept that they may not be able to fathom all that is. From this it follows that they may believe some proposition that is nonsensical. I think that is what Ken is going for and it is what I was leading to, but I realize I'm stupid. One simply wouldn't know what one is believing.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 07:46:06