Skepticism and Belief

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 02:56 pm
@nerdfiles,
Thats what I thought you were saying, but I can't reconcile that with your earlier statement:

Quote:
Gettier spent the whole paper trying to get us to accept that the premises are not falsifed. Gettier is not resting anything on 'false premises.'

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 02:59 pm
@nerdfiles,
Look at it this way: I can be justified even if I am wrong.

A lawyer may make an argument with a false conclusion, but it's not that being false makes the lawyer's justification vanish. It's not as if all the evidence just disappears. It's still evidence for something. It's evidence for a false conclusion. It doesn't cease to be evidence.

Like with valid arguments. You can have a valid argument even if it has false premises. Having false premises alone does not make the argument invalid.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
Thats what I thought you were saying, but I can't reconcile that with your earlier statement:

The conditions are not falsified.

Smith believes that (e) is true. (Belief condition is not falsified.)
Smith is justified in holding (e) is true. (Belief condition is not falsified.)
(e) is true is true. (Belief condition is not falsified.)

None of these are false; thus, they are not falsified.

Perhaps it is a communication issue. By "premises" I meant "conditions."

kennethamy

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 03:44 pm
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
Look at it this way: I can be justified even if I am wrong.

A lawyer may make an argument with a false conclusion, but it's not that being false makes the lawyer's justification vanish. It's not as if all the evidence just disappears. It's still evidence for something. It's evidence for a false conclusion. It doesn't cease to be evidence.

Like with valid arguments. You can have a valid argument even if it has false premises. Having false premises alone does not make the argument invalid.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

The fact is that two persons, A and B, may have exactly the same justification for p, and if it happens that p is true, then A knows that p, and if it happens that p is false, then B does not know that p. That is the consequence of justification being non-deductive.

ACB

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 08:13 pm
@nerdfiles,
Gettier argument

nerdfiles wrote:
As Gettier claims, you can be justified in believing something is false. If we narrow our scope to just talking about justification, the justification condition in this particular problem does hold. So 2 is true, though 1 is irrelevant (he believed--past tense) and 3 is false. If (d) were the issue, Smith would simply not know. It wouldn't be a case of knowledge by the definition thus given.

You say "he believed - past tense". But surely he still believes it? To argue that all that matters is that he now believes "the man who will get the job has ten coins in his pocket" sounds dubious to me. What he actually believes is "the man who will get the job, Jones, has ten coins in his pocket". His belief that the man in question is Jones still forms an essential part of his overall belief; if he were now informed that the man was not Jones, he would abandon it entirely. He holds his belief holistically, and it is misleading to try to cast off part of it. The concept of 'Jones' is still vital to his reasoning. So (d) is still very much the issue.

Logically impossible beliefs

I agree with you that it is impossible to truly believe such propositions as 2+2=5. But what about propositions that are logically impossible but not obviously so? I am thinking particularly of mathematics. Take the following statement, for example:

"There exists a set of three whole numbers - x, y and z - such that x cubed + y cubed = z cubed."

This is actually a mathematical (and hence logical) impossibility, but that fact is far from obvious, and was not discovered until quite recently. Since the proposition is logically impossible, must we say that anyone in the past who claimed to believe it did not really do so?

Zetherin

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 08:51 pm
@nerdfiles,
ACB wrote:
I agree with you that it is impossible to truly believe such propositions as 2+2=5. But what about propositions that are logically impossible but not obviously so? I am thinking particularly of mathematics. Take the following statement, for example:

"There exists a set of three whole numbers - x, y and z - such that x cubed + y cubed = z cubed."

This is actually a mathematical (and hence logical) impossibility, but that fact is far from obvious, and was not discovered until quite recently. Since the proposition is logically impossible, must we say that anyone in the past who claimed to believe it did not really do so?

This was actually discussed earlier concerning "Squaring a Circle". We recently discovered this to be impossible, but medieval mathematicians thought it was possible.

It seems if we do not have knowledge a contradiction exists, we can still believe a contradictory proposition. How could we say they didn't really believe, only because we now have new knowledge? That seems absurd.

ACB

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 09:22 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
It seems if we do not have knowledge a contradiction exists, we can still believe a contradictory proposition. How could we say they didn't really believe, only because we now have new knowledge? That seems absurd.

Yes, I agree with that.

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 11:22 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
The fact is that two persons, A and B, may have exactly the same justification for p, and if it happens that p is true, then A knows that p, and if it happens that p is false, then B does not know that p. That is the consequence of justification being non-deductive.

Supposing it is a consequence, what's the import or concern for this consequence? What is the status of this consequence? What reason have I to think about it or be worried about it?

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

ACB wrote:
Gettier argument

You say "he believed - past tense". But surely he still believes it?

It's irrelevant with respect to our focusing on (e). I only qualified one way in which it is irrelevant. I mean, clearly I believe one can still believe it for I stated that one could or does earlier in that very post.

Quote:
To argue that all that matters is that he now believes "the man who will get the job has ten coins in his pocket" sounds dubious to me.
What we are concerned with is what he now believes. It's possible for him to not entertain (d) any more. It is possible that is why we are concerned with it, as observers. It's not dubious.

Quote:
What he actually believes is "the man who will get the job, Jones, has ten coins in his pocket".
No. He believes that ∃x(Mx & Jx & Tx); there is some x such that, x is a man, x is going to get the job, and x has ten coins in his pocket.

We believe generalizations all the time. Why can he not? Don't force the qualification of "the man, Jones..." It's possible for him to believe the existential generalization. Treat that issue.

Quote:
His belief that the man in question is Jones still forms an essential part of his overall belief
Again, valid point, but we can believe generalizations, and they can be true.

Quote:
if he were now informed that the man was not Jones, he would abandon it entirely.
Again, generalization is what is believed. It's best to look at it like this:

(1) A man with ten coins in his pocket will get this job.

Don't be mislead by the definite article. The definite article on its own does not force an interpretation. It's possible that (1) is the interpretation, and someone could believe (1).

Quote:
He holds his belief holistically, and it is misleading to try to cast off part of it. The concept of 'Jones' is still vital to his reasoning. So (d) is still very much the issue.
(d) could be at issue, but it is not. Suppose the receptionist asks, "Who do you think will get the job, Smith?"

Smith might reply, "The man with ten coins in his pocket will get the job."

The point is: This proposition stands on its own.

We cannot let ourselves allow for

∃x(Mx & Jx & Tx) to be logically equivalent to Mj & Jj & Tj.

Can he believe the former in an unqualified (..."Jones") sense? Can it be true? Can it be justified? Justifying a proposition does not necessitate that it has a particular content.

Because you say "Well, our generalization involves 10 people" it follows that "our generalization only applies to those 10 people." This misses the point of what a generalization is.

Look into existential generalization. (e) follows from (d) by existential generalization.

[quote]Logically impossible beliefs[/quote]
Quote:

This is what I wish for us to explore!

Is "I believe that God exists" a non-obvious belief that a contradiction is true?

Quote:

Contradictions can be believed, though the belief is always false

They could believe it if by "logically impossible" you mean that it is logically impossible for it to be true. We can believe that contradictions are true. So perhaps I rescind my former statements. (Or perhaps I was just muddled in my expression, unclear, or simply false and inaccurate.) Though our belief will be systematically false if indeed it is a contradiction.

Category mistakes cannot be believed

However, a "category mistake" cannot be believed. Contradictions have truth conditons (which happen to always yield "false"), but category mistakes do not have truth conditions. It is logically impossible for them to. It is logically impossible for "The number for is sleeping" to have truth conditions, if the terms are taken literally. It cannot be believed because it is not a conceivable situation. It can never occur.

nameless

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 06:04 am
@nerdfiles,
Zetherin;55346 wrote:
nameless wrote:

Knowledge is just a poor and obsolete term. All 'knowledge' is tentative and contextual. Public or otherwise.

What term would you recommend in its stead, if any?

Sorry, didn't see your post 'till now. Hate to interrupt the pace of the conversation...
The term 'knowledge' seems to invite belief, which is, to me, sufficient reason to decomission the notion. Perhaps 'tentative understanding' might have a more moment to moment fluid aspect; different from moment to moment, like the universe.
Actually, all 'knowledge' that we might feature at any particular moment (which reduces to damn small amounts) can be described adequately as 'memory/ies'. Again, how many 'belief' that their memories are accurate reflections of actual events interactive with some universe 'out there'? At different moments, the universe features us with whatever memory we might have at that moment. We call it 'knowledge'. In it's moment of existence, in that universe, it is an integral truth of existence.

Quote:
Clearly, there is a consensus factor based on many objective methods of rationalization (science, logic, etc.)

Not so clearly.
QM has put the final nail in the coffin of the fantasy 'objective observer'.

Quote:
I don't think our perception is as nonsensical and detached as you make it sound.

Perceptions run the gamut from nonsensical appearing to certain Perspectives to being very in synch with others.

Quote:
Clearly, there is universal consensus on some matters.

Again, not so clearly. Care to give me any example? Whatever you might (dare to) offer, all I need do to refute the universality of your claim is to disagree.
Ahh, would that declaring something as "clearly" could make it so.
There can be no universal consensus on any point, as all Perspectives are unique, and;
'The First Law of Soul Dynamics'; "For every Perspective, there is an equal and opposite Perspective!" - Book of Fudd

Quote:What can be verbally expressed is no more than metaphor, and is not the thing, not 'truth'. There are no words at that depth of understanding/experience'.

Quote:
Why does the theory regarding that we cannot speak "truth" have more weight than a theory regarding that we can speak "truth", if we are to agree with this claim?

I guess that it depends on the individual's definition, if any, of 'truth'.
(Truths seem to be as layers of an onion. Perhaps, Lao Tsu, in his dictum, refers to the 'indivisible monism' at the heart of the onion?)

Quote:
Claiming knowledge of objective understanding would obviously be much different than a claim about your nose itching or what kind of ice cream you like.

If I heard someone claiming "knowledge of objective understanding" (an oxymoron in itself), I might smile politely at such hubris, but what can one say to such egoic 'beliefs'?

Quote:
Yes, some propositions do hold more weight, even though you seemingly think they do not (based upon your aforementioned statements).

Depends on Perspective...

Quote:
So, while I agree concerning the subjectivity factor, for communication and understanding sake, a distinction must be allowed. Do you disagree?

"Everything is true, everything is permitted!" -Hassan i' Sabbah (Old man of the Mountain)
Peace

nerdfiles;55339 wrote:
...Again, I said he might be false, or have made absurd arguments. I think his entire conception of mind is absurd, but I cannot say that he has not spent a lot of time on his topic on basis of his dogmatic outbursts at a conference.

Do you understand what I am saying?

Understood.
Peace

cypressmoon

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 06:08 am
@nerdfiles,
NerdFiles wrote:
]He believes that ∃x(Mx & Jx & Tx); there is some x such that, x is a man, x is going to get the job, and x has ten coins in his pocket... Is "I believe that God exists" a non-obvious belief that a contradiction is true?

I don't think x is a man. x is x. x is not y (the actual, whatever that may be). x points to an unknown y (an unknown reality).

If you think otherwise, maybe this example will help me clarify...

"The man is wearing a bright orange overcoat." This statement is a true statement. But truth is a property of language. "bright orange overcoat" is referencing some unknown y - whatever this actual thing is. It's merely a finger pointing to an enigma. It's a convention. Specificity is only necessary to the degree which the conditions present themselves.

Isn't truth just something that sentences have?

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 06:50 am
@nerdfiles,
This treatment of the Gettier problem is off-track.

The main purpose I had in bringing it up was to establish that the normative principle nerdfiles applied to belief is better dealt with at the knowledge level.

There is no problem with calling some injected mental content a belief, it can still be held and referred to as a belief (although I think we may be dealing with a nonsensical concept).

Anyways, in an attempt to continue this along the path upon which it started, could coherency be a criteria? Such a criteria would include the prohibition of contradictions, and it would account for the holistic nature of our belief systems.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 07:03 am
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
The term 'knowledge' seems to invite belief, which is, to me, sufficient reason to decomission the notion.

I have been trying to figure out what you mean by knowledge seems to invite belief, and why you think that "sufficient reason to decomission the notion". Which notion? knowledge or belief? And why do you think that what you wrote, "decommissions" whichever notion you meant?

nerdfiles

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 07:07 am
@cypressmoon,
cypressmoon wrote:
I don't think x is a man. x is x. x is not y (the actual, whatever that may be). x points to an unknown y (an unknown reality).

If you think otherwise, maybe this example will help me clarify...

"The man is wearing a bright orange overcoat." This statement is a true statement. But truth is a property of language. "bright orange overcoat" is referencing some unknown y - whatever this actual thing is. It's merely a finger pointing to an enigma. It's a convention. Specificity is only necessary to the degree which the conditions present themselves.

Isn't truth just something that sentences have?

I do not follow.

---------- Post added at 08:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

kennethamy wrote:
I have been trying to figure out what you mean by knowledge seems to invite belief, and why you think that "sufficient reason to decomission the notion". Which notion? knowledge or belief? And why do you think that what you wrote, "decommissions" whichever notion you meant?

Well, knowledge does imply belief, by our definition.

But I too find nothing particularly wrong with this fact. Simply citing the fact as it is, without argument or explanation as to why it is wrong, surely will not get anyone to agree.

Alls he's said is something to the effect of: "Football is a sport. I don't like that."

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
There is no problem with calling some injected mental content a belief, it can still be held and referred to as a belief (although I think we may be dealing with a nonsensical concept).

You write as if this is uncontested. The whole point is that there is a problem, to say the least. No, beliefs not of proper formation cannot be "held" or "referred" to.

Your coherency criteria intimates this exact point.

If some "injected" belief does not cohere with the rest of your beliefs, then it is not something which you hold in any meaningful sense. You don't hold it; it's simply there. But perhaps if it does not cohere it is not really there, despite appearance to the contrary.

cypressmoon

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 07:16 am
@nerdfiles,
Quote:
I do not follow.

Are you a Tractatus W., or an Investigations W.?

nerdfiles

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 07:18 am
@cypressmoon,
cypressmoon wrote:
Are you a Tractatus W., or an Investigations W.?

How is that relevant? Do you have a particular passage from either that makes your point clear rather than murky and nondescript?

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

It is the proposition, whose sentence it is, which can be true or false. A string of characters or letters or markings is not the same thing as a proposition. Propositions are not materially constituted; sentences are.

cypressmoon

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 08:01 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
How is that relevant? Do you have a particular passage from either that makes your point clear rather than murky and nondescript?

For a moment, pretend that this smiley is actually made up of pixels on the screen. It can be found here:

:brickwall:

Now, when I say the sentence, "The smiley face is smashing its skull against a brick wall", what is "smiley face" in this context? Is it two words, made up of ten letters, or is it this: :brickwall: ?

The actual smiley face (looping pixels and all) is not the same thing as the words "smiley face".

Or as I said before, x is not y.

Further, if I talk about this: :brickwall: , I'm implying a belief about it.

I can believe in inexplicable "things". I can believe in "things" I cannot point to or speak about.

Some beliefs cannot be justified. Some beliefs do not stem from language games, but rather are rooted in something utterly enigmatic and inexplicable. A belief is not a property of sentences, the way truth is.

If you think otherwise, why do you move to music? I'm sure you have your theories, but they're provisional. You move first, and speak later. My point is that all beliefs cannot be justified through language. Beliefs do not extend from reasons, or ideas. They extend out of feeling.

A bass kick, a snare snap, a bongo thunk, and an upright bass string sending vibrations and resonances into your body make you believe.

Quote:
It is the proposition, whose sentence it is, which can be true or false. A string of characters or letters or markings is not the same thing as a proposition. Propositions are not materially constituted; sentences are.

ok. Just by writing this, you are implying that you knew exactly what I meant even though my formal vocabulary wasn't on the mark.

Which fork do I eat this course with, again?

nerdfiles

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 08:06 am
@cypressmoon,
cypressmoon wrote:
Some beliefs cannot be justified.

And which beliefs would fall under this category of "unjustifiable"? Have we mistakenly considered such beliefs in this thread to be justifiable where you might consider them to not be?

Names and descriptions refer to things. They are designators. "The smiley face" refers to the smiley face on the screen. "The smiley face" contributes to the proposition's sense. Senses are not linguistic like sentences are linguistic.

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

cypressmoon wrote:
ok. Just by writing this, you are implying that you knew exactly what I meant even though my formal vocabulary wasn't on the mark.

Which fork do I eat this course with, again?

By "I do not follow" I meant "I don't see where you're going with this or how it is even relevant to the issue."

You have not applied your learning to anything in this thread and succeeded only at pedantry. You've spoken over-generally where we are deep within the narrows; and you can see this for yourself.

Yet you run in "oh woe is the plight of epistemology! Some beliefs simply cannot be justified!"

That assessment might be true, but within this privileged knowledge you presumably have about the relation between the class of all beliefs and justification, would you mind enlightening us with some fact about whether the beliefs set before us are just those beliefs, which clearly have been revealed to you, that you know cannot be justified?

cypressmoon

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 08:21 am
@nerdfiles,
Quote:
And which beliefs would fall under this category of "unjustifiable"?

Lots of stuff I don't have words for, and cannot fathom concepts of that do them justice.

Are you saying that all beliefs can be able to be justified?

What about "things" that are not beliefs that cannot be talked about or conceived? Whatever you want to call that, it is there and cannot be justified. In order to be justified, it needs to be translatable into a proposition.

What I'm trying to get at is that beliefs do not extend from propositions, but rather are formed into propositions from bodily affection - physical interaction with the world. I'm thinking you have it backwards. take this, for example:

"I exist." "I'm alive." (Whichever) wasn't that formed into a proposition after some physical activity?

nerdfiles

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 08:24 am
@nerdfiles,
Ugh. I guess I should not presume you read any of the thread.

Here we go again: Look, we're talking about propositional belief. That is the kind of belief we're concerned with. We have forced ourselves into a dark tunnel with only this object stationed at its exit.

We're not concerned with believing in the sense of "belief in the Communist party" or "belief that one's hair looks nice."

We're not looking at belief as "party affiliation" or "mere opinion."

If it does not fit the S believes that "p" schema, where p is a propositional variable, then we have no comment on it. We're not saying they do or do not this or that, even if many people call them beliefs. Our "S believes that 'p'" schema is normative; and we are concerned with it and it alone, and nothing else.

cypressmoon

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 08:41 am
@nerdfiles,
Quote:
we're talking about propositional belief.

That's all we can talk about, so its no surprise to me.

There's a lot more to life than propositionally compatible things.

It's all very simple and commonsense, though.

"I believe in x. x has this, and x does this."

"What? You don't think so? Well, you see, our explanations of the world are provisional at best. The logisticians cannot even prove I'm alive. Belief is necessary in life. Don't tell me what to believe in. The universe is probabalistic, but that's only because some provisional theories tell us so."

The game never ends. There will be another Wilt Chaimberlin that will change the rules of the game, but determinate uncertainty will prevail as long as X is not Y.

I don't know why I decided to play this game again. I'm sorry if I caused trouble.

nerdfiles

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 09:10 am
@cypressmoon,
cypressmoon wrote:
There's a lot more to life than propositionally compatible things.

Yes, that's why we have no comment on those other things.

You don't walk into a spelling bee and decry, "There's more to life than just spelling!"

No one, by simply being at the spelling bee or participating in it, is claiming such a thing nor is such a thing implied by their presence.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 03:05:28