Skepticism and Belief

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 12:43 am
@nerdfiles,
I stand corrected on my assessment of counterexample, in general. You could give a counterexample. Though, yours is not a counterexample.

Yours is completely consistent with the normative belief formation constraint. Based on my evaluation, the person "injected" with the belief did not get that belief in the right way. It follows then that this person does not believe 2+2=5.

A counterexample would be where one does indeed count as believing something but does not get it in the appropriate way. Fictional characters are suspect, to say the least, and 2+2=5 is not thinkable for us. No one can think it. It's not just that Winston can't or I can't or you can't. No one can. It's necessarily false. No one can believe contradictions, despite what some author or God say. And you cannot just suppose that someone does believe a contradiction. Contradictions can never be true. You can believe that contradictions are fun or clever or cool, but you can never believe them to be true. It is impossible for them to be true. You cannot believe what is false. No one can.

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

Omg... I changed your post. Crap.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

Quote:
I think you ought to read, 1984. Winston Smith did believe that 2+2=5. To insist he did not is to beg the question.
It's fiction. He believed it in the sense that Orwell said "Oh yes, he believed it"?

Plus, believing the unthinkable attacks the "thinkability" constraint, not necessarily the belief formation constraint. So I don't know what your goal is here. Nevertheless, no thing can believe that 2+2=5. You cannot possibly make it true. It is a metaphysical impossibility for it to be true. No one can believe it (that it is true). It is, again, necessarily false.

If I say "Oh yes, Kevin believes X" does not imply that this person actually believes it? Can we talk to Winston Smith to determine this belief?

When you tell your children, "Santa Claus believes you've been naughty" does this somehow imply that Santa Claus actually believe it?

Quote:
You wrote that beliefs have to be acquired in a reasonable or appropriate way. A case in which a belief is not acquired in a reasonable or appropriate way is a counterexample.
A case in which a belief is not acquired in such a way entails that the belief is not present.

S only if P

S -> P

is logically equivalent to

-P -> -S

This is the form of it.

Quote:
But being caused to believe by being given a serum, or by being frightened into belief is not acquiring a belief in a reasonable or appropriate way.
Therefore, both are counterexamples. QED
Again. "not acquiring a belief in the reasonable and appropriate way"

S believes that P only if S acquires the belief, etc etc.

"not acquiring etc etc" denies the consequent (in bold).

That's means, by Modus Tollens, S does not believe that P.

So what you're saying is not a counterexample. It simply is consistent with this belief formation constraint. You're proving my point, not countering it.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 06:35 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:

A case in which a belief is not acquired in such a way entails that the belief is not present.

Then to say that something is a belief only if it is acquired in such a way is a blatant tautology, since if it is not so acquired, then it is not a belief. Tautologies are empty, and give no information. They are just "definitional". But in fact, people have all kinds of beliefs that are acquired in ways that are not acquired in the way you define them as being acquired on pain of their not being beliefs.

I heard of a child fearing to touch anything made of satin because she believed it was made of "Satan", and she believed it because she heard her mother say it was made of satin, and thought her mother said, "Satan". Are you telling me the child did not believe the material was made of "Satan"?

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 07:20 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Then to say that something is a belief only if it is acquired in such a way is a blatant tautology, since if it is not so acquired, then it is not a belief. Tautologies are empty, and give no information. They are just "definitional". But in fact, people have all kinds of beliefs that are acquired in ways that are not acquired in the way you define them as being acquired on pain of their not being beliefs.

I heard of a child fearing to touch anything made of satin because she believed it was made of "Satan", and she believed it because she heard her mother say it was made of satin, and thought her mother said, "Satan". Are you telling me the child did not believe the material was made of "Satan"?

It's not a tautology. Acquiring is not the same thing as believing what is required. Look at the schema again. Look at examples of what tautologies are, again, and understand just what tautology means.

Yes, the child would not believe the material is Satan. But that's not because of the belief formation condition. I'd likely say such a proposition is unthinkable. Even if I am wrong about this, you haven't suggested why the belief formation condition is wrong. You've only produced evidence for why the thinkability condition is wrong. Sure, I might say "mishearings are inappropriate bases for believing things." So perhaps this falls under the formation condition.
[INDENT]Would we count mishearings as genuine beliefs? That is the question.
[/INDENT] I'm proposing this as a condition that common persons in general would hold. Not just people. If someone tells me, "Bob is in the house" I can belief this, even if they actually said "Schmob is in the house" and I here Bob. Perfectly fair. But your example seems to fail the thinkability condition. What exactly would the proposition be that the child purportedly believes? On inspection of this proposition, you'll see that it is a peculiar one, but perhaps not contradictory in the way 2+2=5 is contradictory.

But that is the exact goal here. Which propositions lean to being contradictions? "Satan is a possible fabric for garments, etc"; Well, what does "Satan" refer to? What could it refer to? How did the child come to acquire such a term? What is it that is being feared when one says "I fear Satan" or it is implied?

You make it seem like you have a problem with the formation condition, but your arguments have all been directed at the thinkability condition.

I'm not sure what's going on, but you're making a lot of mistakes and misapplying weighty terms (like "tautology"). It doesn't seem to be that you're actually coming to understand anything. Are you actually agreeing with me and understanding at each step along the way? Or are you just ignoring my arguments because you have new complaints to make? It doesn't seem like you're learning or in the business of learning.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 07:24 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
It's not a tautology. Acquiring is not the same thing as believing what is required. Look at the schema again. Look at examples of what tautologies are, again, and understand just what tautology means.

Yes, the child would not believe the material is Satan. But that's not because of the belief formation condition. I'd likely say such a proposition is unthinkable.

You make it seem like you have a problem with the formation condition, but your arguments have all been directed at the thinkability condition.

I'm not sure what's going on, but you're making a lot of mistakes and misapplying weighty terms (like "tautology"). It doesn't seem to be that you're actually coming to understand anything. Are you actually agreeing with me and understanding at each step along the way? Or are you just ignoring my arguments because you have new complaints to make? It doesn't seem like you're learning or in the business of learning.

The child does not believe the material is made of Satan? Then why is she frightened?
You seem to be in "the grip of a theory".

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 07:34 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
The child does not believe the material is made of Satan? Then why is she frightened?
You seem to be in "the grip of a theory".

First we need to determine what "Satan" refers to or could refer to. If "something is Satan" comes to have a status like "2+2=5" then we can rightly look at "The child fears Satan" under a different light. The child might have stories which are believed, but the proposition itself--which you have yet to provide; remember, we're looking for propositional beliefs--maybe turn on being a contradiction. So, of course, we might say the child does not and cannot literally believe that proposition. But that the child has associations, between images of this or that, or feelings of this or that. But what about the proposition itself? That which is presumed to be believed?

I'm not so sure it's easy to equate propositional attitude contexts. It's not so clear that "fears that" and "believes that" amount to just the same thing. So your example might not even fall within range of our discussion, oddly enough.

I don't know what "grip of theory" is supposed to mean, but is that an argument? What am I or could I do with this piece of information? We are after all testing this theory. The whole point of having a theory is to test it. If you think my interpretations are the wrong ones, say so and why.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Does fear imply belief in all cases? Might fear and belief have different conditions, some of which are exclusive?

I suppose S fears that P only if S believes that P.

By contraposition, if S does not believe that P then S does not fear that P.

ACB

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 08:09 am
@nerdfiles,
Suppose we change the statement slightly and say the child (through mishearing) believes the material is controlled by Satan or has associations with Satan, and will therefore cause her harm. This seems to rectify the category mistake. Does this 'belief' now meet (a) the thinkability condition, (b) the belief formation condition?

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 08:12 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
Suppose we change the statement slightly and say the child (through mishearing) believes the material is controlled by Satan or has associations with Satan, and will therefore cause her harm. This seems to rectify the category mistake. Does this 'belief' now meet (a) the thinkability condition, (b) the belief formation condition?

I believe so, and it would be false. Well, controlled by would false. Associations with is ambiguous, I admit.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 09:19 am
@nerdfiles,
Your normative principle is a problem of knowledge similar to the Gettier problems, that is true belief without proper justification. Belief can be belief no matter how it is justified or formed, and it seems that you are relying on anecdotal evidence that I doesn't make sense to me to support its inclusion.

An example of belief that was not formed up to your standards would be the belief in a lie by someone with assumed authority.

You have stated that it is not the proposition that is believed, but the other's acceptance of the proposition that is believed. This, to me, neglects the fact that scientific knowledge accepts external verification and testimony as a strengthening and verification of knowledge, or at least truth.

If one can gain scientific knowledge and truth through consensus, then it stands to reason that one should also be able to accept authoritative testimony as justification for belief in some proposition. Whether it is true or false testimony is irrelevant, it can still form a belief in the truth of the proposition.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 09:58 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

And what of Winston Smith of Orwell's 1984? Can he believe that 2+2=5, or are we to believe that is impossible because Nerdfiles tells us it is, although Orwell tell us he did believe that?

In any case why cannot I believe a category mistake? Suppose I claim to bellieve that the number three is purple. Why can't I believe that?

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 10:32 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
And what of Winston Smith of Orwell's 1984? Can he believe that 2+2=5, or are we to believe that is impossible because Nerdfiles tells us it is, although Orwell tell us he did believe that?

I have provided argument. I'm doing more that just saying it.

Quote:
In any case why cannot I believe a category mistake? Suppose I claim to bellieve that the number three is purple. Why can't I believe that?
The proposition does not have sense. It is not possible for it to be true. It's not the kind of thing that can be true. It has no truth conditions.
[INDENT]I went on and on about this in talking about logical grammar earlier. Merely because you form a grammatical sentence in English, that does not guarantee that it has a sense. "The Communist party is 200 pages long" has no truth conditions. It's not false or true; it is senseless. You wouldn't look for the first page to begin counting, to confirm or falsify its truth. You'd say, "That doesn't make any sense." You cannot believe "The Communist party is 200 pages long."
[/INDENT] It's Aristotle's law of noncontradiction. "One cannot say of something that it is and that it is not in the same respect and at the same time."

If you do not accept the law of noncontradiction, then we simply cannot continue our discourse. You can certainly say with your mouth or by typing "I believe this contradiction" but you can never say "I believe that this contradiction is true."

That is the whole point. I am saying you cannot believe that it is true. We need to be clear about this and explicit. You cannot say a contradiction is true. By definition, a contradiction is necessarily false.

Contradictions are necessarily false. They can never be true.

Category mistakes are senseless. They are not the kind of thing that can be true or false. They're like rocks. One cannot say, "I believe rocks are true." It is senseless.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
Your normative principle is a problem of knowledge similar to the Gettier problems, that is true belief without proper justification.

That is a misunderstanding of the Gettier problem.

Gettier problems presume justified true belief. It's not that the justification is improper. It's simply that we cannot say the person has knowledge. The whole point of the Gettier problem is to find a fourth condition for knowledge not to determine the best definition of justification.

However, some epistemologists try to show that a better account of justification resolves the Gettier problem but that is not what Gettier's conclusion calls for. It calls for a fourth condition. Gettier presumes that JTB is insufficient not that justification is lacking, for he presumes that the examples have adequate justification.

Looking for a fourth condition will supplement the belief, justification and truth conditions, not replace them or undermine them.

Quote:
Belief can be belief no matter how it is justified or formed, and it seems that you are relying on anecdotal evidence that I doesn't make sense to me to support its inclusion.
"Belief can be belief" is like "War is war"; it's tautologies. That much should be clear. I'm not sure how a tautology will confute any claim.

Quote:
An example of belief that was not formed up to your standards would be the belief in a lie by someone with assumed authority.
Where have I stated this? You can certainly believe things based on lies. Though likely the belief will be false, or more likely your knowledge will be shaky.

Quote:
You have stated that it is not the proposition that is believed, but the other's acceptance of the proposition that is believed.
What? S believes that P. The proposition is believed. I'm not sure how this can get confused. It seems straightforward and clear.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 11:37 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
That is a misunderstanding of the Gettier problem.

Gettier problems presume justified true belief. It's not that the justification is improper. It's simply that we cannot say the person has knowledge. The whole point of the Gettier problem is to find a fourth condition for knowledge not to determine the best definition of justification.

However, some epistemologists try to show that a better account of justification resolves the Gettier problem but that is not what Gettier's conclusion calls for. It calls for a fourth condition. Gettier presumes that JTB is insufficient not that justification is lacking, for he presumes that the examples have adequate justification.

Looking for a fourth condition will supplement the belief, justification and truth conditions, not replace them or undermine them.

Can you provide a Gettier-like counterexample that doesn't rely on a justification through false premises?

That is quite obviously the problem, if you wish to call it a problem, presented by these cases. No problem extends from JTB, but from equivocation due to the aforementioned ambiguity of the term "justification". What is the point of using justification in the definition of knowledge if it doesn't need to be valid justification.

How close is this to a Gettier counterexample:

I believe all apples are green.
I believe only fruits are green.
Therefore I believe apples are fruit.

Its a true belief, just like in the Gettier counterexamples, and just like in the counterexamples my belief rests on false premises. Yet it hardly seems like there would be any difficulty in dismissing anyone who would call this knowledge because the justification is ludicrous.

Quote:
"Belief can be belief" is like "War is war"; it's tautologies. That much should be clear. I'm not sure how a tautology will confute any claim.

Where have I stated this? You can certainly believe things based on lies. Though likely the belief will be false, or more likely your knowledge will be shaky.

What? S believes that P. The proposition is believed. I'm not sure how this can get confused. It seems straightforward and clear.

My apologies for not being sure what to call the set of mental content in which the "belief" subset resides.

My point is that there is no difference between a doctor who injects a serum that causes belief, and an authority that lies to cause belief. It is still belief no matter how substandard the formation is.

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 11:41 am
@nerdfiles,
Someone cannot say of another person that person believes a contradiction is true.

You cannot say, the mathematical proposition 2+2=5 is true.

2+2=4 is true. The same function cannot give you two different results.

A function, when given an argument, cannot give you two different values.

Suppose "the father of" is a function which is symbolized by f(x).

So, f(nerdfiles)=nerdfiles's Father

But not f(nerdfiles)=nerdfiles's Sister at the same time.

Suppose addition is a function symbolized by +(x, y).

+(2, 2)=4

But it cannot also give you +(2, 2)=5.

If we accepted this, we'd have to accept, by the identity predicate that =(4, 5) which states that the number 4 is identical to the number 5. But this is obviously absurd. 2+2=5 would imply that 2+2=/=4.

But so what gets you 4? If you say "2+1=4"; you might have to say "2+0=3"; then "1+0=2"; then "0+0=1" which is the same as "0=1" or =(0, 1), which says that the number 0 is identical to the number 1. But this is obviously absurd. It's always false. But suppose it true: well, now you get 0+0=2; then 0+0+0=3. But doesn't zero just function as 1? So why not call 0 "1"? Well, now you've got 1+1+1+1=4. 2+2=4. And 1+1+1+1+1=5; 2+1+1+1=5; 3+1+1=5; 3+2=5.

If "3+2=5 is true" is true, then "2+2=5 is false" is true, by the meaning of the function +.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 11:51 am
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
I have provided argument. I'm doing more that just saying it.

The proposition does not have sense. It is not possible for it to be true. It's not the kind of thing that can be true. It has no truth conditions.[INDENT]I went on and on about this in talking about logical grammar earlier. Merely because you form a grammatical sentence in English, that does not guarantee that it has a sense. "The Communist party is 200 pages long" has no truth conditions. It's not false or true; it is senseless. You wouldn't look for the first page to begin counting, to confirm or falsify its truth. You'd say, "That doesn't make any sense." You cannot believe "The Communist party is 200 pages long."
[/INDENT]It's Aristotle's law of noncontradiction. "One cannot say of something that it is and that it is not in the same respect and at the same time."

But why cannot Winston Smith, or anyone else, believe a contradiction, which is, of course, false, is true. People believed many false beliefs to be true, why can't Winston Smith just because he believes a contradiction to be true?

And why cannot I believe that it is true that the number 3 is purple for the same reason.

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 12:20 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Can you provide a Gettier-like counterexample that doesn't rely on a justification through false premises?

"Justification through false premises"? I'm not sure what this means.

Gettier problems work like this: S passes our Justified True Belief definition of knowledge.

So, using our schema, S knows that P because[INDENT]1. S believes that P (it is true that S believes that P),
2. S has justification or evidence for P (it is true that S has
justification or evidence for P), and
3. P is true (it is true that P is true).
[/INDENT]The Gettier problem is supposed to deny the claim that jointly those conditions suffice for S's knowing P.
[INDENT]So, we say even though S passes these conditions for knowledge, S still does not know.
[/INDENT]Usually when we deny the consequent, which is what we do when we say "S still does not know," we look to see if the conditions are true. In certain instances, we see that one of the conditions was false. But what if all the conditions are true? Then there is something other than the conditions that is at play here. Why is it that these agents in Gettier cases do not know? Surely they believe, and the justification is good, and it is true--but he still doesn't know?... Weird.

S achieves our definition, but we still cannot say that S knows, to no fault of any of the conditions. If a condition does not hold, or if it is false that a condition holds, then S simply does not know.
Quote:
That is quite obviously the problem, if you wish to call it a problem, presented by these cases. No problem extends from JTB, but from equivocation due to the aforementioned ambiguity of the term "justification". What is the point of using justification in the definition of knowledge if it doesn't need to be valid justification.
Justification in the JTB definition of knowledge means either[INDENT]S is justified in believing that P.
[/INDENT]or[INDENT]S has adequate evidence for P, and
[/INDENT]or[INDENT]S has the right to be sure that P is true.
[/INDENT]This should clearly distinguish "justification" from "being caused to believe" or "merely forming the belief in some way".

Quote:
How close is this to a Gettier counterexample:

I believe all apples are green.
I believe only fruits are green.
Therefore I believe apples are fruit.
Not close at all. It's a syllogism. That "only" is doing something suspicious. And "believe" is doing something suspicious too. You're blending implicitly the notion of "observation" and "induction" into a deductive argument.

All Ss are Ps.
All Rs are Ps.
Therefore, Ss are Rs.

All cats are mammals.
All dogs are mammals.
Therefore, all cats are dogs.

This is clearly invalid. But what is your "only" doing? It's implicating some extra-deductive rule or thing.

Quote:
Its a true belief, just like in the Gettier counterexamples, and just like in the counterexamples my belief rests on false premises. Yet it hardly seems like there would be any difficulty in dismissing anyone who would call this knowledge because the justification is ludicrous.
If any of the premises (the conditions which are necessary) are falsified, then S does not know. Gettier spent the whole paper trying to get us to accept that the premises are not falsifed. Gettier is not resting anything on 'false premises.'

Quote:
My point is that there is no difference between a doctor who injects a serum that causes belief, and an authority that lies to cause belief. It is still belief no matter how substandard the formation is.
Why? Having a reason to believe is different from being caused to believe. In the doctor case, you have no reason to belief whatever the doctor injects in the sense that you can consider it, reflect on it, understand it, think about the reason itself. You may be caused to believe it, sure, but is there anything which connects your present belief with a past belief? Did you derive your belief from some other beliefs?

If I ask you, "Why do you believe it?" surely I'm not looking for the answer "Well, the doctor did something to me" (suppose you don't know the means by which the doctor "caused" the belief).

If you say "I believe Golbach's conjecture is true" and you say "I don't know, the doctor did something to me" as your "reason", I'll begin to query you to see if you really believe it.

If you cannot even tell me what Golbach's conjecture is then that is reason for me to suspect that you don't believe it and that you're only gabbing parrot-wise.[INDENT]Is this much different from saying that you do not have the belief? Surely, you have words which you utterance which can correspond to positive beliefs (those who actually believe it).
[/INDENT]Now the question is, Can the doctor inject the justification or evidence that you could give into you? Okay, sure. But if we suppose this, it's no different from going to school and learning it yourself.

But can a doctor inject the whole experience of learning into you? How do I know you're not just gabbing parrot-wise that "justification"? How do I test to see whether the doctor injected the actual belief or just conditioned you to say some words along the lines, "I believe such and such"?

If I coerce someone to believe that his wife is a whore, though he emphatically loves her, and he continues to love her. What does that say about coercing someone to believe something? You cannot command (cause) someone to believe. There's no propositional connection between my saying "Believe X", hitting you with a stick and you actually believing X. If you do actually believe it, we need to look elsewhere from my commanding it and my hitting you.

Basically, this "injecting beliefs" scenario is behaviorist.

Behaviorism is false. Stop arguing along behaviorist lines if you understand this and disagree with behaviorism.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

kennethamy wrote:
But why cannot Winston Smith, or anyone else, believe a contradiction, which is, of course, false, is true. People believed many false beliefs to be true, why can't Winston Smith just because he believes a contradiction to be true?

And why cannot I believe that it is true that the number 3 is purple for the same reason.

Because it equivocates the meaning of the predicate "is true".

The proposition, which is false, is true. This is obviously absurd because it translates to "The proposition which is not true is true."

You can certainly believe that it is a contradiction. And you can believe that it is false. But you cannot believe that which is in fact false is true.

If you know it is false, then this implies that it is not true.

It seems like you're running this "true for me/false for them" argument. Stop thinking along these lines. "2+2=4" is not true for me yet false for someone else. If you're going to continue running this line of thought, I suspect that you do not understand what "is true" means.

And look, I've already given my arguments. If you want answers to your questions, re-read what I've already said.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 01:17 pm
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:
"Justification through false premises"? I'm not sure what this means.

Gettier seeks to show cases where there exists justification, belief, and truth but no knowledge. The common denominator of all these cases is that what we would call justification is actually a false premise.

Farmer Brown's belief that his cow is in the pasture is true. His justification, namely that he saw his cow in the field, is untrue.

Quote:
Gettier problems work like this: S passes our Justified True Belief definition of knowledge.

So, using our schema, S knows that P because[INDENT]1. S believes that P (it is true that S believes that P),
2. S has justification or evidence for P (it is true that S has
justification or evidence for P), and
3. P is true (it is true that P is true).
[/INDENT]The Gettier problem is supposed to deny the claim that jointly those conditions suffice for S's knowing P.
I am denying that Gettier counterexamples pass the definition of knowledge because holding false evidence or justification does not satisfy 2.

I have never understood this problem, as I have never known why anyone would argue that observing a piece of paper that looks like a cow or a rock that looks like a sheep would stand on the same footing as actually seeing the cow or sheep.

Quote:
Not close at all. It's a syllogism. That "only" is doing something suspicious. And "believe" is doing something suspicious too. You're blending implicitly the notion of "observation" and "induction" into a deductive argument.

All Ss are Ps.
All Rs are Ps.
Therefore, Ss are Rs.

All cats are mammals.
All dogs are mammals.
Therefore, all cats are dogs.

This is clearly invalid. But what is your "only" doing? It's implicating some extra-deductive rule or thing.

Here, maybe you will admit this to be valid logic:

All apples are green.
If something is green, it is a fruit.
Therefore all apples are fruit.

To me, the logic seems perfectly valid, yet the premises are false.

Quote:
If any of the premises (the conditions which are necessary) are falsified, then S does not know. Gettier spent the whole paper trying to get us to accept that the premises are not falsifed. Gettier is not resting anything on 'false premises.'

Absolute nonsense.

CASE I:

Proposition (e): The man who will get the job has ten coins in his pocket is the proposition in question. It is a true belief.

It is entailed from the conjunctive proposition (d): Jones is the man who will get the job, and Jones has ten coins in his pocket.

Gettier is quite plain when he says:

Let us suppose that Smith sees the entailment from (d) to (e), and accepts (e) on the grounds of (d), for which he has strong evidence. In this case, Smith is clearly justified in believing that (e) is true.

Gettier states that belief in (e)is justified through the reasonable belief in a false premise, as he explicitly states that proposition (d) is false.

Quote:
Why? Having a reason to believe is different from being caused to believe.

Is your language confusing or do you say that belief with cause but not reason can exist?

I cannot really fathom such a thing as this injected belief, as beliefs are held holistically and awareness of incoherency or unfounded belief would destroy the belief.

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 01:30 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Here, maybe you will admit this to be valid logic:

All apples are green.
If something is green, it is a fruit.
Therefore all apples are fruit.

To me, the logic seems perfectly valid, yet the premises are false.

∀x(Ax → Gx)
∀x(Gx → Fx)
∴∀x(Ax → Gx)

Yes, this is valid. But your "only" was doing something other than what is here. It was adding something extra-deductive; something that has no place in logical language.

The conclusion certainly follows from the premises, though the premises are false. And that's perfectly fine. You can have validity with false premises.

Quote:
Absolute nonsense.

CASE I:

Proposition (e): The man who will get the job has ten coins in his pocket is the proposition in question. It is a true belief.

It is entailed from the conjunctive proposition (d): Jones is the man who will get the job, and Jones has ten coins in his pocket.

Gettier is quite plain when he says:

Let us suppose that Smith sees the entailment from (d) to (e), and accepts (e) on the grounds of (d), for which he has strong evidence. In this case, Smith is clearly justified in believing that (e) is true.

Gettier states that belief in (e)is justified through the reasonable belief in a false premise, as he explicitly states that proposition (d) is false.
(d) is irrelevant at that point because Smith is entertaining (e). That (d) is not Smith's justification, so it doesn't matter if it is false.

Quote:
Is your language confusing or do you say that belief with cause but not reason can exist?
I highly suspect that belief without reasons can exist. I personally do not think they do. If the belief has no reason propositionally backing it, something to consider, reflect on, think about, etc, then it's equivalent to a sack of bricks.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 01:41 pm
@nerdfiles,
nerdfiles wrote:

(d) is irrelevant at that point because Smith is entertaining (e). That (d) is not Smith's justification, so it doesn't matter if it is false.

Gettier's own words:

If Smith "accepts (e) on the grounds of (d)," then what would you call (d) and what would Smith's justification be?

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 01:56 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Gettier's own words:

If Smith "accepts (e) on the grounds of (d)," then what would you call (d) and what would Smith's justification be?

"...it is possible for a person to be justified in believing a proposition that is in fact false. Secondly, for any proposition P, if S is justified in believing P, and P entails Q, and S deduces Q from P and accepts Q as a result of this deduction, then S is justified in believing Q."

We don't care about (d) anymore since it becomes a justified belief (e).

1. Smith believes (e).
  2. Smith has evidence for (e).
  3. (e), not (d), is true.

Each of these holds. Therefore, S knows that (e).

1. Smith believes (d).
  2. Smith has evidence for (d).
  3. (d) is true.

This is a completely different issue. For one, though Smith believes (or at any rate believed) (d), we don't care about this anymore. We're concerned with (e).

As Gettier claims, you can be justified in believing something is false. If we narrow our scope to just talking about justification, the justification condition in this particular problem does hold. So 2 is true, though 1 is irrelevant (he believed--paste tense) and 3 is false. If (d) were the issue, Smith would simply not know. It wouldn't be a case of knowledge by the definition thus given.

But (d) is not the concern. (e) is the concern. (e) passes the definition.

(e) logically follows from (d). Smith is justified in that he has logical justification applied to or based upon observational/empirical data. So he has compound justification.

(d) is justified by observation. Even if false, it's still justified. We find out it is insufficient justification, perhaps, after we cite the reason why it the proposition in question is false.

(e) is justified from the observation and from additional logical argument. Logical argument is a kind of justification. See the quote.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 02:38 pm
@nerdfiles,
I cannot argue with what you have said here, but I'm not sure you answered the question:

Does (d) serve as justification for (e), and is (d) shown to be a false premise?

nerdfiles

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 02:45 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
I cannot argue with what you have said here, but I'm not sure you answered the question:

Does (d) serve as justification for (e), and is (d) shown to be a false premise?

I probably answered this question like 5 times.

Quote:
(e) logically follows from (d). Smith is justified in that he has logical justification applied to or based upon observational/empirical data. So he has compound justification.

(d) is justified by observation. Even if false, it's still justified. We find out it is insufficient justification, perhaps, after we cite the reason why it the proposition in question is false.

To follow from something is to logically depend on it. To be that which is depended upon is to be justification.

(d) is false by the problem. But it doesn't matter that it is false. (e) is the concern.

(e) partially depends on (d) for justification. Logic is another kind of justification. (e) is justified by logical inference and (d)

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 07:47:49