knowledge is merely one of faith's children

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 04:00 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
Then I don't understand why you resist what seems to me a perfectly logical conclusion.

If you read something, you have to have reading material, and you have to use your eyes and your reasoning powers. Any knowledge that you claim to have as a result of that process would indicate that you have put your trust in the source of the reading material, your sensory perception, and your reasoning powers.

Is this not so?

As I have already said, yes. With the qualification that I have good reasons for that trust. I do not trust just any book for information. What sources I trust depends, finally, on my reasons and evidence for trusting those sources. For instance, in trying to learn the news, I trust certain newspapers, but not other newspapers. And, how do I select which I trust, and which I do not trust? On whether I consider the source reliable. And, of course, I do that on the basis of past experience.

Dichanthelium

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 03:03 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... what we found at one extreme is a perspective where experience and reason are self-evidently simply what they are (but only paradoxically so) ... and at at the other extreme is a tension between one perspective where experience self-evidently corresponds to reality while reason is fallible, and another perspective where reason self-evidently corresponds to reality while experience is fallible (is this extreme-realist tension a mirrored image of the extreme-idealist paradox?) ... as interesting as this is, it does not further illuminate the "kernel" of self-evident knowledge that we had already identified in the middle of the continuum (where nothing self-evidently corresponds to reality and both reason and experience are fallible) - that is, the only self-evident knowledge is the knowledge that "I experience" and "I reason" ...

Pretty interesting summary! Another angle on all this might be to get some insights from child psychology. Imagine going all the way back to the fetal state. Did I know anything before I was born? I had sensory perception and brain functon. Answers to that must be speculative. But people have been studying child psych for a long time. What would be the very first things that we can confidently say a child knows?

paulhanke

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 04:36 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
What would be the very first things that we can confidently say a child knows?

... interesting question ... fear? ... hunger? ... Mom? ... does a newborn yet have any sense of "I"? ...

Dichanthelium

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 05:52 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... interesting question ... fear? ... hunger? ... Mom? ... does a newborn yet have any sense of "I"? ...

Fear and hunger would be sensations though, wouldn't they? And mom is a problem, because newborns don't actually separate their identity from their mom until later, or so I have heard.

I speculate that actual knowing as in knowing "what something is" (distinct from simple stimulus-response) doesn't start happening until the child can see an object, bring it into focus, deliberately reach for it and confidently achieve hand-eye coordination. Before that, I would think a baby is seeing mostly unfocused images, and not having any sense of what those objects are or where they are in relation to the self.

At some point, possibly before the hand-eye stuff, actually, the baby may experience the "familiarity" type of knowing though. For example, when a baby first begins to associate pleasuable sensations with certain faces, such as those of dad or brothers and sisters or other caregivers. Babies begin to regularly smile when they see certain people, so we could say that they begin to know those people.

paulhanke

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:15 am
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
Fear and hunger would be sensations though, wouldn't they?

... yes, they are experience ... but what's missing here is the "I" in the knowledge "I experience" ... and if there is no "I", is there any knowledge? - or is it just pure experience? ...

Dichanthelium wrote:
And mom is a problem, because newborns don't actually separate their identity from their mom until later, or so I have heard.

... I was actually just using "Mom" as shorthand for all of the instincts associated with feeding (look! - it's a nipple!), bonding (look! - it's a face! - time to look cute!), etc. ... and does instinct count as knowledge?

Dichanthelium wrote:
I speculate that actual knowing as in knowing "what something is" (distinct from simple stimulus-response) doesn't start happening until the child can see an object, bring it into focus, deliberately reach for it and confidently achieve hand-eye coordination. Before that, I would think a baby is seeing mostly unfocused images, and not having any sense of what those objects are or where they are in relation to the self.

... and it also remains a speculative question as to when the experience of "self" emerges ... is it a feeling that occurs only after the infant has found that it can exert control over the "other", or is it a feeling that provides the impetus for the infant to initially try to exert control over the "other"?

Dichanthelium

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:45 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... yes, they are experience ... but what's missing here is the "I" in the knowledge "I experience" ... and if there is no "I", is there any knowledge? - or is it just pure experience? ...

I'm inclined to think that knowledge can reside in my brain, and that I can make use of it without being self-aware. For example, I'm driving and a ball rolls out onto the street and I slam on the brakes, because I know what all of that means, and I know how to operate the car. In that split second, I didn't have to time to reflect on any of it.

It is only when I try to define knowing, when I get analytical, that I need to recognize the process whereby all that knowledge accumulated, i.e., from a long and complicated series of experiences that involved sense perception and reasoning, and individual beliefs.

And, I think these early childhood stages illustrate important principles. We observe behaviors in children that occur to us as cute, sometimes because the behaviors illustrate utter naivete or bad logic. Like my granddaughter who, at about 3 and 1/2 yrs., says her mom and dad are going to take her to disney world in an airplane. She always sees airplanes in the sky, so when I ask her where is disney world, she says, "In the sky."

It makes me wonder how many things I think I know are really assumptions built on logic with flawed premises.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 07:52 am
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
I'm inclined to think that knowledge can reside in my brain, and that I can make use of it without being self-aware. For example, I'm driving and a ball rolls out onto the street and I slam on the brakes, because I know what all of that means, and I know how to operate the car. In that split second, I didn't have to time to reflect on any of it.

It is only when I try to define knowing, when I get analytical, that I need to recognize the process whereby all that knowledge accumulated, i.e., from a long and complicated series of experiences that involved sense perception and reasoning, and individual beliefs.

And, I think these early childhood stages illustrate important principles. We observe behaviors in children that occur to us as cute, sometimes because the behaviors illustrate utter naivete or bad logic. Like my granddaughter who, at about 3 and 1/2 yrs., says her mom and dad are going to take her to disney world in an airplane. She always sees airplanes in the sky, so when I ask her where is disney world, she says, "In the sky."

It makes me wonder how many things I think I know are really assumptions built on logic with flawed premises.

If a superscientist could examine your brain, would he be able to tell whether you know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador? I don't think so, since in order for you to know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, Quito would have to be the capital of Ecuador, and no one could tell whether that was true just by examining your brain, since whether Quito is the capital of Ecuador has nothing to do with your brain. It has to do with what happens in Ecuador.

MJA

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 08:30 am
@kennethamy,
Knowledge is merely one of faiths children;
And wisdom is the equitable truth of All.

=
MJA

paulhanke

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 09:28 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
It is only when I try to define knowing, when I get analytical, ...

... reminds me of a phrase I ran across recently, to the effect that "humans know and know that they know" ... what a damnable trick to be played on us, eh? Wink

Dichanthelium wrote:

... given that a human fetus goes through physical developmental phases that resemble other animals (e.g. the appearance and subsequent disappearance of gills), one can wonder if a human child goes through mental developmental phases that resemble other animals ... ... ...

Dichanthelium wrote:

... hey! - you've just described science!!! Wink ... (that category of self-correcting knowledge that knows its own limitations) ...

Dichanthelium

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 09:42 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
If a superscientist could examine your brain, would he be able to tell whether you know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador? I don't think so, since in order for you to know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, Quito would have to be the capital of Ecuador, and no one could tell whether that was true just by examining your brain, since whether Quito is the capital of Ecuador has nothing to do with your brain. It has to do with what happens in Ecuador.

Interesting point. But I'm not up to speed on the such technical stuff. The knowledge that Quito is the capitol of Ecuador is somehow stored in my brain. What does that mean, in physiological terms? If a "fact" can be "stored" in my brain, and I can "retrieve it," that would imply that the fact is composed of physical components arranged in some kind way so as to represent language. If it is composed of physical components reflecting some kind of language, then presumably, a researcher possessing the appropriate technology, could access, read and translate.

Of course, if a scientist--unfamiliar with geography--could use technology to read my mind, and see that I know that Quito is the capitol of Ecuador, all he would know is that I believe that Quito is the capitol of Ecuador; he wouldn't know that Quito is the capitol of Ecuador. Of course if he could do further reading and find out all my reasons for believing it, that might convince him that my knowing is adequately verified.

On the other hand, if he merely assumed that my belief were sufficient evidence to support the claim that Quito is the capitol of Ecuador, then he might, naively, decide to believe it too. In such a case, since he would be believing it without having gone through a proper verification process, he would not actually know it, according to our agreed-upon definition of knowing, despite the fact that he would be believing something that is indeed true.

Dichanthelium

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 09:45 pm
@MJA,
MJA wrote:
Knowledge is merely one of faiths children;
And wisdom is the equitable truth of All.

=
MJA

Please elaborate on the wisdom and equitable truth!

paulhanke

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 10:11 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
Of course, if a scientist--unfamiliar with geography--could use technology to read my mind, and see that I know that Quito is the capitol of Ecuador, all he would know is that I believe that Quito is the capitol of Ecuador; he wouldn't know that Quito is the capitol of Ecuador. Of course if he could do further reading and find out all my reasons for believing it, that might convince him that my knowing is adequately verified.

... and then what of the supersuperscientist who's examining the brain of the superscientist - what sort of mental gymnastics are involved in her "knowing" of the superscientist's "knowing" of your "knowing"? ... it seems that this could be another instance of the inability of science to completely describe the mental ... a scientist, upon exposing a subject to "red" and measuring the resulting psycho-physical activity, can, at a later time, observe a similar psycho-physical activity in the same subject and proclaim "the subject is experiencing 'red'" ... but what the scientist cannot do is (without resorting to his own subjective experience) describe what the subject's experience of "red" is like! ... so when a superscientist scientifically "knows" what you "know", how much do they really "know"? ...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 09:36 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... and then what of the supersuperscientist who's examining the brain of the superscientist - what sort of mental gymnastics are involved in her "knowing" of the superscientist's "knowing" of your "knowing"? ... it seems that this could be another instance of the inability of science to completely describe the mental ... a scientist, upon exposing a subject to "red" and measuring the resulting psycho-physical activity, can, at a later time, observe a similar psycho-physical activity in the same subject and proclaim "the subject is experiencing 'red'" ... but what the scientist cannot do is (without resorting to his own subjective experience) describe what the subject's experience of "red" is like! ... so when a superscientist scientifically "knows" what you "know", how much do they really "know"? ...

Not the point. Even if the SS knew everything there was to know about your brain, he could not tell whether you knew that Quito was the capital of Ecuador, since that would depend on whether Quito was the capital of Ecuador, and that is not in your brain. It is in South America. When you claim to know, you are not claiming to have a certain kind of experience.

MJA

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:15 am
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
Please elaborate on the wisdom and equitable truth!

I've posted TRUTH before somewhere but think it worth repeating.
Regarding nature which is us, EQUAL unites all things.
And when nature is defined mathematically, = is the only true certainty.
Everything else is only probable or uncertain at best.
Heisenberg's Uncertainty principle was only the tip of the measurement iceberg. Ice as uncertainty easily melts away with truth.
Beyond Newtonian certainty came Eistein's relativity. And beyond relativity came uncertainty, and beyond uncertainty came, probability, and beyond probability comes certainty, and certainty is the truth from whence we came.
Full Circle.
To find the truth of nature, One must simply reduce the equation to equal, nothing else is absolutely true.
That simplification or reduction is enlightenment, and light is truth.
Try it and you'll see.
One can reduce any mathmatical equation to =,
as One can reduce or remove any uncertainty from his own life and find the equitable truth of himself, Oneself = All.
Truth is the right stuff, you'll see.

=
MJA

[CENTER][CENTER]TRUTH[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER]KNOWLEDGE IS THOUGHT[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER]EDUCATION INCREASES THOUGHT[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER]WISDOM IS TRUTH[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER]ENLIGHTENMENT REDUCES THOUGHT[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER]TO A SINGLE SIMPLE TRUTH[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER]ONENESS OR EQUALITY[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER] THE SINGLE SIMPLE[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER]WISDOM OR[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER] TRUTH[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER]MJA[/CENTER][/CENTER]

paulhanke

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:46 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Not the point. Even if the SS knew everything there was to know about your brain, he could not tell whether you knew that Quito was the capital of Ecuador, since that would depend on whether Quito was the capital of Ecuador, and that is not in your brain. It is in South America. When you claim to know, you are not claiming to have a certain kind of experience.

... and so if Quito is in South America, then it's not in the SS's brain either, yes? ... and if the SS has never been to Ecuador nor even looked it up on a map, then again: when a superscientist scientifically "knows" what you "know", how much do they really "know"? ...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:33 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... and so if Quito is in South America, then it's not in the SS's brain either, yes? ... and if the SS has never been to Ecuador nor even looked it up on a map, then again: when a superscientist scientifically "knows" what you "know", how much do they really "know"? ...

13 mg. I have no idea what you are asking. Especially since you keep putting the word, know, between quotes, so I have no idea what you mean by the word either. I guess if a superscientist knows that you know what the capital of Ecuador is, then, he knows you know what the capital of Ecuador is, just as if I know that you know what the capital of Ecuador is, then I know that you know what the capital of Ecuador is. What did you think?

paulhanke

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:51 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I guess if a superscientist knows that you know what the capital of Ecuador is, then, he knows you know what the capital of Ecuador is, just as if I know that you know what the capital of Ecuador is, then I know that you know what the capital of Ecuador is. What did you think?

... I thought you were over-privileging the superscientist's mind by putting in qualifiers like "... since that would depend on whether Quito was the capital of Ecuador" as if the superscientist could somehow be more objective than me ... but maybe that's what you were intending with the name "superscientist" - some inhuman omniscience?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 01:47 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... I thought you were over-privileging the superscientist's mind by putting in qualifiers like "... since that would depend on whether Quito was the capital of Ecuador" as if the superscientist could somehow be more objective than me ... but maybe that's what you were intending with the name "superscientist" - some inhuman omniscience?

A ss is someone who knows everything there is to know about brains. He can know exactly what anyone thinks or believes. But he still would not know that someone knows what the capital of Ecuador is just from examining his brain, since examining his brain could not tell him what the capital of Ecuador is. It would tell him what the subject believes the capital is, but it would not tell him whether the subject is right.

paulhanke

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 02:09 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
A ss is someone who knows everything there is to know about brains. He can know exactly what anyone thinks or believes. But he still would not know that someone knows what the capital of Ecuador is just from examining his brain, since examining his brain could not tell him what the capital of Ecuador is. It would tell him what the subject believes the capital is, but it would not tell him whether the subject is right.

... but does "being right" as judged by some external observer have anything to do with what I know? ... for example, let's say I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador and some superscientist scans my brain, sees that I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, flies to Ecuador and confirms this ... overnight, a coup happens in Ecuador and Quito is no longer the capital ... the next day a new superscientist scans my brain, sees that I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, flies to Ecuador and disconfirms this ... does the fact that one day I am "right" and the next day I am "wrong" in any way affect my experience of knowing that Quito is the capital of Ecuador?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 07:18 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... but does "being right" as judged by some external observer have anything to do with what I know? ... for example, let's say I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador and some superscientist scans my brain, sees that I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, flies to Ecuador and confirms this ... overnight, a coup happens in Ecuador and Quito is no longer the capital ... the next day a new superscientist scans my brain, sees that I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, flies to Ecuador and disconfirms this ... does the fact that one day I am "right" and the next day I am "wrong" in any way affect my experience of knowing that Quito is the capital of Ecuador?

No. If at the time you claim to know Quito is the capital, it is, then you do know it. On the other hand, if it is not the capital, you do not know it. Although you may believe you know it. But, I don't know what you mean by the experience of knowing that Quito is the capital. Knowing, so far as I know, is not any experience. Believing is an experience, but knowing is a justified true belief. And there is no experience that presents itself justified and true rather than not. For the person himself, there is no difference between knowing and believing he knows, but not knowing. He cannot look into his mind and discern whether he knows or does not know. In our case, he has to find out what is true in Ecuador.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 09:18:32