No Human Action, It Is All Reaction

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

boagie

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 11:56 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
What is it that is so grand that I am claiming Boagie?

--edit--
I want to add that I cannot help another to understand when they are in denial. That is something only the other can do. The other might be able to do so with help of my words, but not without action of the other; the action of not denying, not defining; accepting.

Arjen,Smile

Grand claim, saying you know the thing-in-itself, I would say is a grand claim, it is in essence saying you know what ultimate reality is. Kant and Schopenhauer would be most impressed.:eek: There is indeed resposibility on both individuals in conversation, when introducing new and or odd concepts perhaps terminology not everyone is use to, its going to take a little working out, give and take from both sides.Smile

Arjen

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 12:11 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Arjen,Smile

Grand claim, saying you know the thing-in-itself, I would say is a grand claim, it is in essence saying you know what ultimate reality is. Kant and Schopenhauer would be most impressed.:eek: There is indeed resposibility on both individuals in conversation, when introducing new and or odd concepts perhaps terminology not everyone is use to, its going to take a little working out, give and take from both sides.Smile

Boagie, Smile

I am stating that everything is a part of the thing-in-itself. There is a difference between what I am saying and what you say I am saying. Apart from that I am also saying that the thing-in-itself posesses certain modalities; those modalities, looking at it from our point of view, contains all paradoxes man has ever known (<-- so to speak).

I do agree however that my thoughts need a lot of time to sink in. I think that this discussion is not the right angle for you to understand what I am saying. I think to understand that you would need to work out what human thought is (and how it functions) as well as work out some ontological problems you are facing. After that the question of paradoxes becomes relevant.

I hope that last remark does not sound presumptuous.. Smile

de budding

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 12:20 pm
@Arjen,
Continued from last post...

I have ran many examples in my head since last, the best being in cars. I tried this.

Verb: Driving
Setting: Unknown to subject
Intention: ----

things are getting tricky now, but even now it is easy to determine some possibilities. When does some one not know where they are? when they are lost, or intentionally entering unknown territory. So intentions could be- to run away from home, not caring where one goes; a reaction to a domestic situation. Or say he is lost; therefore the intention is to get home, a reaction to fear.

Now what I found interesting about this example is- what about when we consider the rest of the driver's journey? Every T-junction let's say, well we can now predict every direction the man will take (or at least think he is taking). If he is running away from home all choices made at all T-junctions will be determined by the desire to get away from home, or if he is lost, all by the desire to get home.

I think only now I am starting to see the implications on freedom of your statement Boagie. No action: Only reaction

It prescribes the truth about our 'actions' that they are the last in a chain of mental events being manifested in actuality. A will develops because of a necessity (e.g. thirst, hunger), a preference (fear, pleasure) or an obligation which is probably a social version of preference (fear of others reactions to yours?)

I feel I'm on the right lines to defining why the will develops, but also fell that I'M WRONG. If you guys could help me define how the will develops independent of our thought, then maybe I will be able to understand you two better.

boagie

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 12:24 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Boagie, Smile

I am stating that everything is a part of the thing-in-itself. There is a difference between what I am saying and what you say I am saying. Apart from that I am also saying that the thing-in-itself posesses certain modalities; those modalities, looking at it from our point of view, contains all paradoxes man has ever known (<-- so to speak).

I do agree however that my thoughts need a lot of time to sink in. I think that this discussion is not the right angle for you to understand what I am saying. I think to understand that you would need to work out what human thought is (and how it functions) as well as work out some ontological problems you are facing. After that the question of paradoxes becomes relevant.

I hope that last remark does not sound presumptuous.. Smile

Arjen,

Well, it does sound a little pretentious, but that may be do to my own ignorance, hard to evaluate that which has not been delivered yet. I am in the dark as to what these paraboxes are about to teach me, what is your intended message in presenting them, or are they, self explanatory in someway. Sorry I do not mean to be rude, just do not enjoy being in the dark.

Arjen

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 05:48 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Arjen,

Well, it does sound a little pretentious, but that may be do to my own ignorance, hard to evaluate that which has not been delivered yet. I am in the dark as to what these paraboxes are about to teach me, what is your intended message in presenting them, or are they, self explanatory in someway. Sorry I do not mean to be rude, just do not enjoy being in the dark.

Boagie, Smile

First of all: I do not think you ignorant. Perhaps in this matter, but I have looked up to you in past matters. Add to that that in the end I cannot be 100% sure it is as I think it is and my boasts are pretty silly. I do, however, think I am right. Which explains my comments.

Anyway, should we not open a topic on these precious paraboxes then?

p.s. I am speaking of paraboxes because the way we see reality creates paraboxes.

boagie

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 06:02 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Boagie, Smile

First of all: I do not think you ignorant. Perhaps in this matter, but I have looked up to you in past matters. Add to that that in the end I cannot be 100% sure it is as I think it is and my boasts are pretty silly. I do, however, think I am right. Which explains my comments.

Anyway, should we not open a topic on these precious paraboxes then?

p.s. I am speaking of paraboxes because the way we see reality creates paraboxes.

Arjen,

It sounds like it would be interesting, I guess there is a little fear at being faced with something I cannot perhaps deal with, that is what a paradox is, is it not. Let the adventure begin Arjen, new territory for me.

nameless

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 01:20 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
I am speaking of paraboxes because the way we see reality creates paraboxes.

Only if that 'reality' is 'seen' erroneously.
'Error' (of thought, usually an erroneous assumption somewhere) creates paradox.
There is no paradox with 'Reality/Truth'.

Doobah47

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 10:39 am
@nameless,
nameless wrote:

There is no paradox with 'Reality/Truth'.

Ha!

You've got to be joking...

'truth = reality' is a false statement.
so 'truth ≈ reality' or even 'truth ≠ reality'.

What we have here is a paradox because 'truth ≠ reality' is - so to speak - 'true'.

Whatsmore, our perception and language deviate and pervert the reality they are conditioned by - so if I point at a tree and say 'tree', it could very easily be said that I pointed at everything and said 'word'.

boagie

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 10:50 am
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:
Ha!

You've got to be joking...

'truth = reality' is a false statement.
so 'truth ≈ reality' or even 'truth ≠ reality'.

What we have here is a paradox because 'truth ≠ reality' is - so to speak - 'true'.

Whatsmore, our perception and language deviate and pervert the reality they are conditioned by - so if I point at a tree and say 'tree', it could very easily be said that I pointed at everything and said 'word'.

Doobah,Smile

:)Truth is experience, experience is truth. Experience without judgement is an experience of perfection. That would be my slant on it, how can within itself, experience be wrong?

Doobah47

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 02:40 pm
@boagie,
Perception/language deviate from reality (translation into electrical impulse for example), so in effect what we perceive/say is deviant from the origin (the reality). Although we can say with 99% accuracy that what we perceive in our environment is what is in our environment, that 1% represents a mistruth, a lie.

The truth (perception/language) is not absolute, thus it is not true.

boagie

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 04:26 pm
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:
Perception/language deviate from reality (translation into electrical impulse for example), so in effect what we perceive/say is deviant from the origin (the reality). Although we can say with 99% accuracy that what we perceive in our environment is what is in our environment, that 1% represents a mistruth, a lie.
The truth (perception/language) is not absolute, thus it is not true.

Doobah,Smile

:)You seem to be restating the difference between apparent reality and that of ultimate reality. Truth, is about, in its normal use, the relation between object and you as your own biology. Is it fallible, yes indeed, where the error might occur might be in perception or in the process of the understanding or both. Truth is about experience, whether it is in error or not.

Doobah47

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 06:29 am
@boagie,
There is ALWAYS an error in perception, there is ALWAYS an error in linguistic translation of reality -> fact.
I'm not happy to have a lie for the truth, so I will continue to disprove it.

boagie

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 06:52 am
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:
There is ALWAYS an error in perception, there is ALWAYS an error in linguistic translation of reality -> fact.
I'm not happy to have a lie for the truth, so I will continue to disprove it.

Doobah,Smile

What you will be disproving then, will be apparent reality, good luck.

Ask a Philosopher!

AskPhilosophers.org

SmileHere are a couple of sites, which if enough members visit and indulge, should crank-up the number and quality of the topics the forum considers---------they are both really good!!Wink
[RIGHT]http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/images/PHBlue/misc/progress.gif[/RIGHT]

boagie

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 11:10 pm
@boagie,
Smile
If all human action is motivated, how is that not then reaction rather than action. Certainly there is no such thing as human action, there is only human reaction.Very Happy

nameless

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 11:37 pm
@boagie,
boagie;16262 wrote:
Smile
If all human action is motivated, how is that not then reaction rather than action. Certainly there is no such thing as human action, there is only human reaction.Very Happy

Sorry, me again..
All 'action' being ('motivated' and therefore) a 'reaction' is only 'true' from certain perspectives. It is not a 'truth' to other perspectives. I think that presenting your perspective as true for all perspectives invites conflict that simply obfuscates the point. You can well support your perspective, and from that angle, I would have to call your 'claim' correct, within the context of your perspective. Ain't necessarily so from this one, though. Thats all I'm saying. Both our perspectives are therefore 'correct' (to some limited degree).

boagie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 07:59 am
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
Sorry, me again..
All 'action' being ('motivated' and therefore) a 'reaction' is only 'true' from certain perspectives. It is not a 'truth' to other perspectives. I think that presenting your perspective as true for all perspectives invites conflict that simply obfuscates the point. You can well support your perspective, and from that angle, I would have to call your 'claim' correct, within the context of your perspective. Ain't necessarily so from this one, though. Thats all I'm saying. Both our perspectives are therefore 'correct' (to some limited degree).

Nameless,Smile

Is your name an indication of this said philosophy, sorry, I just do not get it unless you are talking of another realm, quantum physics? This area may hold many wonders but, apparent reality is the one we are forced to deal with on a daily basis. It is the one in which the concept of cause and effect as a linear happening remains unchallenged, with the odd disgruntled voice calling in from the wilderness its disapproval. I think your going to say there is nothing happening out there, if there is no consciousness, no subjective awareness, and awareness would only be necessary if, there was something happening, so, what then, what is this other perspective of which you speak, which has nothing to be aware of, and yet, is aware. Is the on going drama called reality now found to be not the relation between subject and object, but simply, the subjects relation to itself---which in itself, infers activity or reactivity.

all-inclusive

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 11:49 pm
@boagie,
Quote:
:)Very interesting post, I do not have much knowledge of Buddhist thought but it seems delightful. "Reaction in itself is a dicholtomy [cause and effect ] I doubt that at the orgin of existence we find a dichotomy." There is no cause and effect, there are but relational reactions, in such interactions the constitutions of the subjects involved are the essence of the transformations taking place, reality is an emergent quality.
The nature of all reality is that it is relational, cause and effect is part of an over all misrepresentation of reality, starting with the belief that there is such a thing as human action, the very term of which spells autonomy, independance and separation from the world at large, it is quite simply, delusional.

So are you saying that cause and effect do not apply to any situation? Does cause have to be an action?

For example, someone has taken ecstacy for the first time, and feel they need to keep hydrated to stay alive(reaction to worry), so during reaction, would the cause not to stay hydrated, or alive, and the effect being staying alive, or water poisoning.

Or are you seeing the word cause as someone who 'acts', as it were in a dictionary? Though someone does not simply have to 'act' to produce an effect. The process of reaching the effect would thus be a cause, am I wrong?

boagie

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 07:57 pm
@all-inclusive,
all-inclusive,

I know it sounds strange, and I will probably at a later date accept this linear cause and effect theory. In the mean while back at the ranch house it is fun to play with the idea. In an utterly relational world, no there is no cause and effect, there are but relations. Even something as apparently simple as driving nails, in order for this to work, must not the two objects have their own qualities, and is it not these qualities reacting which is produceing the desired effect.

I do not really agree with the statement about one not having to act to produce and effect, it would not be an act anyway, it would a reaction to produce effect. The only possiability for man/animal is that they will react, there are a multitude of choices, but he has no choice in the matter, for even the decision to remain passive, is a reaction to the given situation--in other words, one cannot NOT react.

'The process of reaching the effect would thus be a cause, am I wrong?[/quote]

Yes I am afraid you are wrong, contact I believe is necessary for any transformation to occur, the two objects, conditions or states must come into contact in order for a reaction on both sides to occur, do not forget it is their qualities that are reacting to each other.

The drug thing, I would say he is reacting to the fear of death, also thirst would qualify as something to react too. Hope I have not missed anything.

all-inclusive

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 07:09 pm
@boagie,
Boagie,

I suppose there were a few words, I hadn't considered. Thank you for clearing it up. It makes more sense to me now.Smile

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 07:15 pm
@all-inclusive,
Quote:
The nature of all reality is that it is relational, cause and effect is part of an over all misrepresentation of reality, starting with the belief that there is such a thing as human action, the very term of which spells autonomy, independance and separation from the world at large, it is quite simply, delusional.

Are you saying that the notion of cause and effect is grounded in the belief in human action?

I'm trying to wrap my head around your connection of cause and effect and action, in truth, being reaction. I mean, if everything is a reaction, shouldn't there be something that is being reacted to? For example, if I move my hand as a reaction, isn't there a cause of my reaction? And isn't my reaction the effect of the cause?

I also have another concern - if everything is a reaction, is reality on loop? Otherwise, it seems like there must be some initial action to set off the chain of reactions.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:11:21