Absolute certainty

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

paulhanke

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 08:17 am
@boagie,
... perhaps both definitions can fit into one dictionary Smile

First, there's The Truth - a metaphysical/spiritual/all-encompassing beast that we palpably feel in our very bones ... The Truth is out there ... we'll know it when we see it ... but, as BrightNoon implies, this is but religious faith.

Second, there's the truth about - the truth about the roles with which this world discloses itself to us ... the truth about how we interact with those roles and disclose roles of our own to this world ... and the truth about how we carve out a life for ourselves in this world.

... or am I just rambling? Wink

MJA

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 10:37 am
@paulhanke,
The Right

The right are the just and the just are the true and the true are the equal and the equal are the One and the One are so few.

=
MJA

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:43 pm
@MJA,
MJA;31349 wrote:
the One are so few.

Okay, you lost me here. I thought there could be only one . . . One. You've pluralized a singular and now I'm doubly baffled.

MJA

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 01:46 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
Okay, you lost me here. I thought there could be only one . . . One. You've pluralized a singular and now I'm doubly baffled.

And now all is One.

Oneness is truly All up to Oneself, up to You!

=
MJA

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:31 pm
@MJA,
MJA;31644 wrote:
And now all is One.

Oneness is truly All up to Oneself, up to You!

=
MJA

So if I'm One, who are You?

MJA

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:55 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
So if I'm One, who are You?

"If" is not absolute certainty, but One is.
And God doesn't gamble with truth, Einstein was right.

=
MJA

kennethamy

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 10:18 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... aren't we still waiting for a very similar prediction of Hume's to be realized? Wink ...

What prediction was that?

paulhanke

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 10:41 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
What prediction was that?

... that superstition and enthusiasm would wither away under the onslaught of reason ...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 11:27 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... that superstition and enthusiasm would wither away under the onslaught of reason ...

Sorry. I don't see any similarity between that and, "I can't imagine that there will exist any people who really believe in the truth.". Quite the contrary.

paulhanke

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 11:57 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Sorry. I don't see any similarity between that and, "I can't imagine that there will exist any people who really believe in the truth.". Quite the contrary.

... maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that BrightNoon was implying that belief in "the truth" is more or less a superstitious belief ...

OctoberMist

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 04:38 am
@Stormalv,
Stormalv said:

"One thing at least is that you, if you are reading this and thinking about it and experiencing it, you exist. Your self. You exist, there can be no doubt about that."

Or so it seems, however, even this knowledge is not absolute. It's mathematically possible that we could all be in 'The Matrix' or some other artificial reality and/or metaphysical reality and all these thoughts are merely the musings of someone else.

I don't believe that, but it's mathematically possible. =)

Stormalv

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:50 am
@OctoberMist,
But you still exist, no matter where the reality comes from. Smile

kennethamy

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 03:21 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that BrightNoon was implying that belief in "the truth" is more or less a superstitious belief ...

Could be. But why would anyone think that? Isn't it true that Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun, or that Germany is in Europe?
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Anthrobus

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 04:07 pm
@OctoberMist,
OctoberMist wrote:
Stormalv said:

"One thing at least is that you, if you are reading this and thinking about it and experiencing it, you exist. Your self. You exist, there can be no doubt about that."

Or so it seems, however, even this knowledge is not absolute. It's mathematically possible that we could all be in 'The Matrix' or some other artificial reality and/or metaphysical reality and all these thoughts are merely the musings of someone else.

I don't believe that, but it's mathematically possible. =)
...we most certainly do not exist in the MATTER OF SUBSTANCE...the entire UNIVERSE is nothing but PHENOMENON...never has a particle or wave been captured in a specific space or time...we do not EXIST...simple...

kennethamy

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 04:29 pm
@Anthrobus,
Anthrobus wrote:
...we most certainly do not exist in the MATTER OF SUBSTANCE...the entire UNIVERSE is nothing but PHENOMENON...never has a particle or wave been captured in a specific space or time...we do not EXIST...simple...

Then who has written this post?
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

paulhanke

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 05:54 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Could be. But why would anyone think that? Isn't it true that Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun, or that Germany is in Europe?

... I think at this point you're getting into the difference between "The Truth" and "the truth about" that I posted earlier Wink ... the truth about Germany is that it is in Europe; The Truth is that Germany and Europe are figments of human imagination ...

Anthrobus

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 06:26 pm
@Stormalv,
Then who has written this post? A PHENOMENON...

kennethamy

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:19 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... I think at this point you're getting into the difference between "The Truth" and "the truth about" that I posted earlier Wink ... the truth about Germany is that it is in Europe; The Truth is that Germany and Europe are figments of human imagination ...

But I don't have any idea about any difference.

paulhanke

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:33 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
But I don't have any idea about any difference.

... so then, if you don't buy into the notion that "truth" as a word can have multiple definitions, what is your single definition? ... and how does that single definition accommodate what seem to be incompatible truths? ... e.g., "It is true that Germany is in Europe" and "It is true that Germany and Europe are figments of human imagination" ...

TickTockMan

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;32285 wrote:
Then who has written this post?

These guys, perhaps?
Machine elf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 03:04:15