What is Free Will?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

xris

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:52 pm
@Zetherin,
My subconscious holds all the demons all the horrors I attempt to control. It gives me the very best and most terrible choices I need to consider. It records my life and its experiences. It holds all that could be me but it is not me. I overcome my subconscious and exert my free will. If its determined then I determine it.

Dreams give us a clue to our ability to determine our destiny, they show us how without it what we would be, if we lost free will.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:57 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;121584 wrote:
Interesting. I had not considered the political aspects. However, it seems that we are still in the realm of belief or viewpoint.

What I am asking about are the ramifications on a personal level of an irrefutable, unarguable, consensually agreed upon, end-of-story, definitive answer to the question of free will.

How would an answer one way or another change the way you conduct your day-to-day life?

And what other questions would be raised by the answer to the free will question?
What other questions would be answered?

Also, I thought that light exhibited properties of both. But I understand what you are saying.

I know a number of people who are perpetual victims. Nothing is ever their fault. They can't help being the way they are. And, they act that way. Fatalism can be blamed for the passive attitudes found predominately in the East. If I were a "victimologist" I would behave victimologists behave. Sartre had a good name for it. He called it, "mauvaise foi". Bad faith. As he wrote, people fear freedom. They feel condemned to be free. They blame genes, luck, upbringing, whatever, to avoid responsibility for what they do.

Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:08 pm
@kennethamy,
Just out of curiosity have we given a proper definition of what the "will" is? Are we sure that everyone on this thread understands this concept? Perhaps this may be of help to us in this philosophical inquiry. Not trying to be tedious or annoying on definitions but I want to make sure we understand the word "will" when we are focusing on free will.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:11 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding_an_Sich;121609 wrote:
Just out of curiosity have we given a proper definition of what the "will" is? Are we sure that everyone on this thread understands this concept? Perhaps this may be of help to us in this philosophical inquiry. Not trying to be tedious or annoying on definitions but I want to make sure we understand the word "will" when we are focusing on free will.

In great detail throughout the last thirty pages, Ding.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:11 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding_an_Sich;121609 wrote:

Will is not a thing. When we want something, or decide to do something, we are exhibiting "will". As Locke said, "it is not the will that is free, it is the person who is free". "Free will" is misleading. I am free. Not my will.

xris

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:21 pm
@kennethamy,
My free will is dragging me down the pub.

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:24 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121605 wrote:
I know a number of people who are perpetual victims. Nothing is ever their fault. They can't help being the way they are. And, they act that way. Fatalism can be blamed for the passive attitudes found predominately in the East. If I were a "victimologist" I would behave victimologists behave. Sartre had a good name for it. He called it, "mauvaise foi". Bad faith. As he wrote, people fear freedom. They feel condemned to be free. They blame genes, luck, upbringing, whatever, to avoid responsibility for what they do.

Again, what you say is accurate. Our society seems to be filled with those who seem unable, or unwilling, to accept any form of responsibility for their own lives. These are often the same people making noises about what they think they are entitled to, aren't they? Perhaps, if they are going to continue to believe this way, they should practice a little amor fati?

Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:33 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121612 wrote:
Will is not a thing. When we want something, or decide to do something, we are exhibiting "will". As Locke said, "it is not the will that is free, it is the person who is free". "Free will" is misleading. I am free. Not my will.

I guess I myself am trying to equate "will" with "person". So the will would be action then? When we will something to happen? If thats the case would free will be translated to something like free action?

I always viewed it more as the will being synonymous with person, but then again I may need to assess this.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:56 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;121619 wrote:
Again, what you say is accurate. Our society seems to be filled with those who seem unable, or unwilling, to accept any form of responsibility for their own lives. These are often the same people making noises about what they think they are entitled to, aren't they? Perhaps, if they are going to continue to believe this way, they should practice a little amor fati?

They have too much as it is.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 03:12 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121554 wrote:
The same thing can be said about whether light is a wave or a particle.

But, in fact, some political views, like Left-Liberalism, are based on the view that free will is a dubious proposition. Which is why Liberalism holds that equality of outcome trumps equality of opportunity, merit should not be rewarded because people do not deserve what they merit. President Obama's, and the Left's social politics depends on this view that need trumps merit. A very large and popular book is an exposition of why need trumps merit, and equality of outcome trumps equality of opportunity because free will is probably false.
It is called, A Theory of Justice by John Rawls. It is a mainstay of Left-Academia (most of academia). As John Dewey said, "Ideas have consequences".

...Well it can go quite in the opposite direction...what you are, despite of not being responsible, does not change, you still being what you are and getting the feedback result of your nature...is a question of Order not of Moral or Ethics, al do that's an easy mistake to go with...

kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 03:17 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;121651 wrote:
...Well it can go quite in the opposite direction...what you are, despite of not being responsible, does not change, you still being what you are and getting the feedback result of your nature...is a question of Order not of Moral or Ethics, al do that's an easy mistake to go with...

What are you saying? If you like to be a victim, then you can remain a victim. Or, the politicians can help you remain a victim so you will keep them in office. A symbiotic relation. Is that the point?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 03:27 pm
@kennethamy,
No !

The point is in Order

kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 03:46 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;121660 wrote:
No !

The point is in Order

And it is one of the better TV shows too.

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 03:54 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121643 wrote:
They have too much as it is.

Too much what? Amor for their fati, or too much in general that they have been given by their legions of enablers?

Or both?

I suppose it would be easy to fall in love with one's own sense of injustice,
although that victim's stance seems more trouble than it would be worth to hold for any length of time.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 03:55 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121663 wrote:
And it is one of the better TV shows too.

Indeed, folks love it...and I hate it ! :brickwall:
I spend a good deal of my time criticising Latin Culture in my own country, if you get my meaning...

bsfree

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 07:34 pm
@fast,
Someone wrote that nature does not have ability. I would disagree with that notion, on the grounds that it was nature that created human beings. It would be a separate topic to discuss why nature did this, but the creation of humanity had to be endowed with free will, simply because no potential could be realized if it were any other way. The same is true for all life on Earth, with the only limitations to their free will being the constraints of the environment they find themselves in. In other words a worm was born to be a worm, a whale was born to be a whale etc.
Humankind is relatively free of these limitations, with the result that free will is able to be given its head, unfettered by the reins of life imposed on other creatures.
Free will allows benevolence to exist, it also allows malevolence to exist. The side of this double edged sword one chooses to come down on is directly attributable to free will, and nothing else.
I do not think the question should be so much what is free will, as to how we use it.
Someone else said that many humans are afraid of freedom, I feel this is true, unfortunately.
I'm sure a fish feels fear when taken out of water and a bird likewise when put in a cage. The same is true of a family member subjected to malevolence by the dominant force in their family, or the population of a country when similarly treated by their government.
When free will is suppressed by the environment it finds itself residing in it will eventually revolt. I like to think the views we are able to express here are a form of revolution that is instigated by the free will that is sought, and for that we should all be thankful.

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 11:38 am
@bsfree,
bsfree;121694 wrote:

Someone else said that many humans are afraid of freedom, I feel this is true, unfortunately.
I'm sure a fish feels fear when taken out of water and a bird likewise when put in a cage.

Taking a fish out of water is not setting it free. Nor is putting a bird in a cage.
Perhaps I'm missing your point though. I do that a lot. Sometimes because I choose to.

Jebediah

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 04:49 pm
@TickTockMan,
kennethamy;121512 wrote:
The conscious can veto impulses

Well, we are getting into metaphysics (and metaphor) here. On the contrary. this is getting further away from science. It is, after all, Platonic in origin, anyway. And later on, Freudian. The science is questionable. You should worry if you have to depend on it.

Well, I was referring to this:

SEP wrote:
Benjamin Libet (2002) conducted experiments designed to determine the timing of conscious willings or decisions to act in relation to brain activity associated with the physical initiation of behavior. Interpretation of the results is highly controversial. Libet himself concludes that the studies provide strong evidence that actions are already underway shortly before the agent wills to do it. As a result, we do not consciously initiate our actions, though he suggests that we might nonetheless retain the ability to veto actions that are initiated by unconscious psychological structures. Wegner (2002) masses a much range of studies (including those of Libet) to argue that the notion that human actions are ever initiated by their own conscious willings is simply a deeply-entrenched illusion and proceeds to offer an hypothesis concerning the reason this illusion is generated within our cognitive systems. O'Connor (forthcoming) argues that the data adduced by Libet and Wegner wholly fail to support their revisionary conclusions.
Which is science, although questionable as you say. The question as I see it is how often we are on autopilot. Our attention capacity is limited. But we do have some guidance control, the way we think about things affects how we feel about things and ultimately how we behave.

TickTockMan;121546 wrote:
It isn't? Who is it then? An alien?

If a smoker is trying to quit, he doesn't want to smoke a cigarette but his subconscious does. To say that "if my subconscious made the decision, I made the decision" is to say that a heroin addict makes the decision to shoot up, or that you make the decision to flinch. Saying my "subconscious isn't me" might have been a bit strong.

Zetherin wrote:
I think it may change how the person feels about humanity and the human condition. A sense of fear and depression seems to come over those who consider they are simply a highly complex mechanistic process, with no innate and unique "being".

I think the more free will people believe we have, the more judgmental they are. Acknowledging that we have a smaller amount of control could lead to more tolerance.

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 05:17 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;121863 wrote:

If a smoker is trying to quit, he doesn't want to smoke a cigarette but his subconscious does. To say that "if my subconscious made the decision, I made the decision" is to say that a heroin addict makes the decision to shoot up, or that you make the decision to flinch. Saying my "subconscious isn't me" might have been a bit strong.

As a former serious nicotine addict (chewing tobacco, constant use for 15+ years) I can honestly say that it never once occurred to me that my subconscious might have had any role in my addiction. I thought it was my brain. HowStuffWorks "How Nicotine Works". I started chewing tobacco of my own free will. Considering that I also quit chewing tobacco of my own free will, would it follow to conclude that I must have been chewing of my own free will all along?

Zetherin

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 05:22 pm
@fast,
Jebediah wrote:
I think the more free will people believe we have, the more judgmental they are. Acknowledging that we have a smaller amount of control could lead to more tolerance.

Probably not. The man that comes home and beats his wife every night isn't going to get more sympathy because we've established he doesn't have free will, I don't think. It's hard for people, even after critically thought about this, to not, on some level, place blame. Don't you think?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 05:51:28