What is Free Will?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Zetherin

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 05:31 pm
@fast,
Krumple wrote:
Well once again the topic of free will most often comes up because of religious motivation

Maybe this is your hold up. We're not talking about anything religious here, and you would know this if you had read the thread (like I suggested earlier).

Krumple

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 05:39 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;120892 wrote:
But this is demonstrably false - We can choose what we want. This doesn't mean we can choose anything, but who ever stated that? The fact that we can only make choices within reasonable measure does not mean we don't have free will. It just means we don't have unlimited options. We can still have free choice within those limited options, though. Can't we?

You just stated what I said previously. You have defined perimeters to what you are allowed to pick from and even within those perimeters you have distinct set of options. That by definition is not free, so how is my statement false? Demonstrably at that. I'm wondering here if you actually meant demonstrably or something else.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 05:40 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;120896 wrote:
You just stated what I said previously. You have defined perimeters to what you are allowed to pick from and even within those perimeters you have distinct set of options. That by definition is not free, so how is my statement false? Demonstrably at that. I'm wondering here if you actually meant demonstrably or something else.

Free will has never meant unlimited choice, and I have no clue why you think it does.

It's demonstrably false that I cannot choose what I want to choose. I can demonstrate it to you quite easily (I'm doing it right now).

Krumple

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 05:44 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;120898 wrote:
Free will has never meant unlimited choice, and I have no clue why you think it does.

Once again, I'm not talking about unlimited choice.

Zetherin;120898 wrote:

It's demonstrably false that I cannot choose what I want to choose. I can demonstrate it to you quite easily (I'm doing it right now).

Well show me the example of neither choosing nor not choosing.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 05:49 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;120900 wrote:
Well show me the example of neither choosing nor not choosing.

I can show you an example of me freely choosing, and I can show you an example where I am compelled (did not choose of my own free will), but I don't know what you're asking for.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 06:39 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;120893 wrote:
Well once again the topic of free will most often comes up because of religious motivation, so in this sense consequences are relevant. Why? Because it is by the very mentioning of free will that is to give credit to the whole process of choose or lose.

If consequences were irrelevant than we would always be confused why things happened after making choices. We don't behave that way, well most of us don't, some do I suppose. But anyways, a majority of us actually determine the result prior to making the choice and thus that effects the decision. Or maybe I am the only one who does that.

Probably.But what has that to do with it?

---------- Post added 01-18-2010 at 07:43 PM ----------

Zetherin;120898 wrote:

It is a constant puzzle to me that when it comes to philosophy, people assert what they sincerely believe is false, but do not think they are being deceptive.

ACB

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:28 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120855 wrote:
Unless you deny that all of us are able to do things because we want to, and not because we are forced to do them, and that we could have done something else if we had chosen to, what other proof would you require that we have free will?

Can you clarify one point, please. Bearing in mind your posts #166 and 170, would you say that "we could have done otherwise" is a necessary but not a sufficient condition of our acting of our own free will? So if we are forced to do something by fear of adverse consequences, we are not exercising free will, despite the fact that we could have chosen to incur such consequences?

memester

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 12:27 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;120893 wrote:
Well once again the topic of free will most often comes up because of religious motivation, so in this sense consequences are relevant. Why? Because it is by the very mentioning of free will that is to give credit to the whole process of choose or lose.

If consequences were irrelevant than we would always be confused why things happened after making choices. We don't behave that way, well most of us don't, some do I suppose. But anyways, a majority of us actually determine the result prior to making the choice and thus that effects the decision. Or maybe I am the only one who does that.
result ? how can you determine a final result when the effects of anything go on and on ? and does not your way suggest that if you cannot determine result, you do not act ? Prediction is a thing we do lots of, but it does not have to be very specific in order for us to act.
Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Having faith that what you do, has effects ( makes changes ) . that's enough.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 02:02 am
@ACB,
ACB;120917 wrote:
Can you clarify one point, please. Bearing in mind your posts #166 and 170, would you say that "we could have done otherwise" is a necessary but not a sufficient condition of our acting of our own free will? So if we are forced to do something by fear of adverse consequences, we are not exercising free will, despite the fact that we could have chosen to incur such consequences?

Yes...................

Krumple

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 07:09 am
@memester,
memester;120977 wrote:
result ? how can you determine a final result when the effects of anything go on and on ? and does not your way suggest that if you cannot determine result, you do not act ? Prediction is a thing we do lots of, but it does not have to be very specific in order for us to act.
Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Having faith that what you do, has effects ( makes changes ) . that's enough.

You are right, perhaps I stated it a little too simplistically. If I go punch my neighbor I don't know exactly what his reaction would be but I can make some hypothesis. I also can infer that if the law were to get involved that it would probably result in some kind of punishment. We also sometimes use others experiences to make a confirmation of resultant actions. Like I am pretty sure pulling out a gun while a police officer is around, is probably not going to go very well. I can't say exactly what would specifically happen but I know it wouldn't be in my best interest to do that. I know this to be true because I have seen it happen to someone else.

Jebediah

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 10:43 am
@Krumple,
SEP wrote:
an agent with regulative control can, so to speak, regulate between different alternatives. An agent with guidance control guides or brings about her conduct even if she has no other alternatives to the course she takes.

If you hold that regulative control is necessary for free will, I think you have to conclude that we don't have free will. Guidance control sounds like what we've discussed--when you buy an ice cream cone, you weren't going to do otherwise, but that's because it's what you wanted. But how much guidance control to we really have?

Quote:

Kringelbach goes even further. He suspects that confabulation is not just something people do when the system goes wrong. We may all do it routinely. Children need little encouragement to make up stories when asked to talk about something they know little about. Adults, too, can be persuaded to confabulate, as [Situationist contributor] Timothy Wilson of the University of Virginia in Charlottesville and his colleague Richard Nisbett have shown. They laid out a display of four identical items of clothing and asked people to pick which they thought was the best quality. It is known that people tend to subconsciously prefer the rightmost object in a sequence if given no other choice criteria, and sure enough about four out of five participants did favour the garment on the right. Yet when asked why they made the choice they did, nobody gave position as a reason. It was always about the fineness of the weave, richer colour or superior texture. This suggests that while we may make our decisions subconsciously, we rationalise them in our consciousness, and the way we do so may be pure fiction, or confabulation.

More recent experiments by philosopher Lars Hall of Lund University in Sweden develop this idea further. People were shown pairs of cards with pictures of faces on them and asked to choose the most attractive. Unbeknown to the subject, the person showing the cards was a magician and routinely swapped the chosen card for the rejected one. The subject was then asked why they picked this face. Often the swap went completely unnoticed, and the subjects came up with elaborate explanations about hair colour, the look of the eyes or the assumed personality of the substituted face. Clearly people routinely confabulate under conditions where they cannot know why they made a particular choice. Might confabulation be as routine in justifying our everyday choices?

How often do we confabulate?

Quote:
"For Dennett, free will consists in the ability of a person to control her conduct on the basis of rational considerations through means that arise from, or are subject to, critical self-evaluation, self-adjusting and self-monitoring. That is, free will involves responsiveness to reasons. "

How much is actually decided by the subconscious, with the conscious pretending it made the decision? It's extreme to say that it's all confabulation, but sometimes it is even when we think it isn't.

Sometimes we think we're responding to reasoning when we aren't--as in the case of people who claim an argument is logically valid because they agree with the conclusion.

xris

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:15 am
@Jebediah,
Why does my mind read "free willy" when I notice this thread? The film heading always gave me hope that I might improve my appendage, now I have subconscious thoughts about this thread. Its my subconscious ability to have its way with my free willy, I mean willl.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:45 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;121208 wrote:
If you hold that regulative control is necessary for free will, I think you have to conclude that we don't have free will. Guidance control sounds like what we've discussed--when you buy an ice cream cone, you weren't going to do otherwise, but that's because it's what you wanted. But how much guidance control to we really have?

How often do we confabulate?

How much is actually decided by the subconscious, with the conscious pretending it made the decision? It's extreme to say that it's all confabulation, but sometimes it is even when we think it isn't.

Sometimes we think we're responding to reasoning when we aren't--as in the case of people who claim an argument is logically valid because they agree with the conclusion.

If my subconscious made the decision (whatever that means) then I made the decision. It was my subconscious. And I consciously ratified the decision later, anyway. I don't understand the fuss.

Jebediah

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:50 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121503 wrote:
If my subconscious made the decision (whatever that means) then I made the decision. It was my subconscious. And I consciously ratified the decision later, anyway. I don't understand the fuss.

I thought of that, but I don't agree. My subconscious isn't me. The conscious can veto impulses, but how does that work? That's more of an in depth scientific question I guess.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:00 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;121505 wrote:
I thought of that, but I don't agree. My subconscious isn't me. The conscious can veto impulses, but how does that work? That's more of an in depth scientific question I guess.

The conscious can veto impulses

Well, we are getting into metaphysics (and metaphor) here. On the contrary. this is getting further away from science. It is, after all, Platonic in origin, anyway. And later on, Freudian. The science is questionable. You should worry if you have to depend on it.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:04 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;121505 wrote:

I'm pretty sure we're speaking of conscious free will here, just to clarify.

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:01 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;121505 wrote:
My subconscious isn't me.

It isn't? Who is it then? An alien?

The whole free will question troubles me. Not the question itself, but rather the answer. What difference would it make?

We finally determine that the answer is "yes, we do have free will."
Great. Now we know, and we go about our day.

Or

We finally determine that the answer is "no, we do not have free will."

What would a definitive answer change, and why?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:24 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;121546 wrote:
It isn't? Who is it then? An alien?

The whole free will question troubles me. Not the question itself, but rather the answer. What difference would it make?

We finally determine that the answer is "yes, we do have free will."

Or

We finally determine that the answer is "no, we do not have free will."

The same thing can be said about whether light is a wave or a particle.

But, in fact, some political views, like Left-Liberalism, are based on the view that free will is a dubious proposition. Which is why Liberalism holds that equality of outcome trumps equality of opportunity, merit should not be rewarded because people do not deserve what they merit. President Obama's, and the Left's social politics depends on this view that need trumps merit. A very large and popular book is an exposition of why need trumps merit, and equality of outcome trumps equality of opportunity because free will is probably false.
It is called, A Theory of Justice by John Rawls. It is a mainstay of Left-Academia (most of academia). As John Dewey said, "Ideas have consequences".

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:19 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121554 wrote:
The same thing can be said about whether light is a wave or a particle.

But, in fact, some political views, like Left-Liberalism, are based on the view that free will is a dubious proposition. Which is why Liberalism holds that equality of outcome trumps equality of opportunity, merit should not be rewarded because people do not deserve what they merit. President Obama's, and the Left's social politics depends on this view that need trumps merit. A very large and popular book is an exposition of why need trumps merit, and equality of outcome trumps equality of opportunity because free will is probably false.
It is called, A Theory of Justice by John Rawls. It is a mainstay of Left-Academia (most of academia). As John Dewey said, "Ideas have consequences".

Interesting. I had not considered the political aspects. However, it seems that we are still in the realm of belief or viewpoint.

What I am asking about are the ramifications on a personal level of an irrefutable, unarguable, consensually agreed upon, end-of-story, definitive answer to the question of free will.

How would an answer one way or another change the way you conduct your day-to-day life?

And what other questions would be raised by the answer to the free will question?
What other questions would be answered?

Also, I thought that light exhibited properties of both. But I understand what you are saying.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:31 pm
@fast,
TickTockMan wrote:

I think it may change how the person feels about humanity and the human condition. A sense of fear and depression seems to come over those who consider they are simply a highly complex mechanistic process, with no innate and unique "being". The beauty of life fades, so to say.

...but then they quickly forget about all this and go about their day Very Happy

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:13:14