What is Free Will?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

sword

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:24 am
@fast,
without a free will we would only be like robots.

Pyrrho

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:59 am
@sword,
sword;120168 wrote:
without a free will we would only be like robots.

People are like robots. It is just that they are not conscious of the vast majority of the processes involved in making a decision, and so they often fail to realize this.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:35 pm
@memester,
memester;120133 wrote:
It's not useful because whatever you decide about will, there is only one useful way to proceed...and that is as if we have will.

Then why isn't it useful to show that we do have free will if it is useful to suppose that we do?

---------- Post added 01-15-2010 at 02:42 PM ----------

Pyrrho;120174 wrote:
People are like robots. It is just that they are not conscious of the vast majority of the processes involved in making a decision, and so they often fail to realize this.

But, if they are only like robots (and the fact that they are not conscious of most of the physiological happenings makes them like robots only in that respect, but not in other respects). So what has it to do with free will? You have to show that people do not have free will because they are not conscious of many of the occurrences that go on in them that lead to the choices they make. And what is your argument for that? The fact that I may not be aware of how I chose vanilla ice-cream does not show I did not choose it, nor that I did not choose it of my own free will.

Pyrrho

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:54 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120205 wrote:

But, if they are only like robots (and the fact that they are not conscious of most of the physiological happenings makes them like robots only in that respect, but not in other respects). So what has it to do with free will? You have to show that people do not have free will because they are not conscious of many of the occurrences that go on in them that lead to the choices they make. And what is your argument for that? The fact that I may not be aware of how I chose vanilla ice-cream does not show I did not choose it, nor that I did not choose it of my own free will.

I am not arguing that people do or do not have free will (whatever "free will" means). I was only responding to what someone else said about what we would be like if we lacked free will.

If you wish, we can look at an implicit argument to which I responded.

[INDENT][INDENT]If we lack free will, then we are like robots.
We are not like robots.
Therefore, we do not lack free will (or, equivalently, we have free will).
[/INDENT][/INDENT]

I am simply denying the second premise, which was unstated (i.e., merely implicit). From the denial of the second premise, we do not get to conclude anything about whether or not we have free will, as concluding the opposite of it would be the fallacy of affirming the consequent.

Jebediah

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 02:12 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120098 wrote:
Why would it matter that there is only one possible future for me, as long as it is up to me what that future will be? If, in other words, that future is the consequence of what I decide to do. For instance, suppose my future is to eat some vanilla ice-cream. But that is because I decided to eat vanilla ice-cream. So, I ate vanilla ice-cream of my own free will.

I think this is a good point...if you argue against free will completely, then you are forced to say insignificant things like "well, that's exactly what you wanted to do, but you had no choice about the matter because you wanted to do it!".

I think when the decision is determined by our personal wants and desires (not just our subconscious ones), it makes sense to say we made it of our own free will, regardless of the fact that we have those wants do to cause and effect.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 02:14 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;120215 wrote:
I am not arguing that people do or do not have free will (whatever "free will" means). I was only responding to what someone else said about what we would be like if we lacked free will.

If you wish, we can look at an implicit argument to which I responded.
[INDENT][INDENT]If we lack free will, then we are like robots.
We are not like robots.
Therefore, we do not lack free will (or, equivalently, we have free will).
[/INDENT][/INDENT]I am simply denying the second premise, which was unstated (i.e., merely implicit). From the denial of the second premise, we do not get to conclude anything about whether or not we have free will, as concluding the opposite of it would be the fallacy of affirming the consequent.

I would deny the first premise on the grounds that I have no idea what it means. I would also deny the second premise on the same grounds. These "quicky fortune cookie mottos", "we are like (or not like) robots", "we are like (or not like) puppets on a string", "we are like (or not like) characters in a movie", and so on, are just substitutes for thought. Dennett talks about them in one of his books on free will.

---------- Post added 01-15-2010 at 03:19 PM ----------

Jebediah;120226 wrote:
I think this is a good point...if you argue against free will completely, then you are forced to say insignificant things like "well, that's exactly what you wanted to do, but you had no choice about the matter because you wanted to do it!".

I think when the decision is determined by our personal wants and desires (not just our subconscious ones), it makes sense to say we made it of our own free will, regardless of the fact that we have those wants do to cause and effect.

In particular when we do not act under any kind of compulsion. Am I to suppose that when I don't want to do something, and am compelled to do it, I am not acting of my own free will, and, when I do want to do something and do it, so I am not compelled to do it, that I am also not acting of my own free will? It sounds like the fix is in against free will to me.

memester

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 03:03 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120205 wrote:
Then why isn't it useful to show that we do have free will if it is useful to suppose that we do?
It is useful to demonstrate will, but then we demonstrate it by every action we do, anyway.
A good demonstration might be of extreme willpower.
Otherwise, it's ordinary.
That you swat a mosquito demonstrates will even more than it demonstrates the value of conscious decision. A decision on how to execute the swat is probably going to make the swat less effective than just swatting it. Either way it demonstrates will.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 04:04 pm
@memester,
memester;120253 wrote:
It is useful to demonstrate will, but then we demonstrate it by every action we do, anyway.
A good demonstration might be of extreme willpower.
Otherwise, it's ordinary.
That you swat a mosquito demonstrates will even more than it demonstrates the value of conscious decision. A decision on how to execute the swat is probably going to make the swat less effective than just swatting it. Either way it demonstrates will.

I am not sure what will is supposed to be. To to say that a person does something of his own free will seems just to deny that the person was compelled to do it. I don't think it has to do with will at all, whatever that is.

ACB

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 05:52 pm
@kennethamy,
I would like to pick up the following point, from post #166:

kennethamy;115417 wrote:
I think rather that the problem lies in how to understand the notion of, "could have done otherwise". I think that we can agree that to say that a person acted of his own free will is to imply (at least) that he could have done otherwise. But the disagreement starts when we try to understand what that phrase comes to. I think that is the core idea of "free will".

---------- Post added 01-15-2010 at 11:54 PM ----------

And the following, from post #170:

kennethamy;115456 wrote:
What are the truth conditions for the application of "X could have done otherwise"? What is implied by that phrase?

What do the contributors to this thread think about the above points?

memester

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:27 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120276 wrote:
I am not sure what will is supposed to be. To to say that a person does something of his own free will seems just to deny that the person was compelled to do it. I don't think it has to do with will at all, whatever that is.
And that is why I think that your approach is less helpful; I don't care what free will is supposed to be, as I don't see any difference between "free" will and "plain old" will.

and we demonstrate will at every turn.
Can you say there is some good reason to believe that just because everything is predetermined; all predetermined, that said situation necessarily excludes will ? :bigsmile:

kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:32 pm
@memester,
memester;120348 wrote:
And that is why I think that your approach is less helpful; I don;t care what free will is supposed to be, as I don't see any difference between "free" will and "plain old" will

and we demonstrate will at every turn.

I may will to give a mugger my wallet, but not of my own free will. So it is not true that there is no difference between ' "free" will, and "plain old" will'.

sword

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 09:37 pm
@fast,
When you are really free you do what you want but when you are addicted to evil or vice you can`t avoid doing what you may know will destroy you. Unless you repent of course.

memester

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:03 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120350 wrote:
I may will to give a mugger my wallet, but not of my own free will. So it is not true that there is no difference between ' "free" will, and "plain old" will'.
Not sure, but haven't you argued that in a circle now a few times ?... saying in one response, that you don't know what it is, then in the next, indicating that you know, and it's to the negative, on free will.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:10 pm
@memester,
memester;120363 wrote:
Not sure, but haven't you argued that in a circle now a few times ?... saying in one response, that you don't know what it is, then in the next, indicating that you know, and it's to the negative, on free will.

I don't know what you mean.I "willed" to turn over my wallet, but I was forced to do it. So, what is your objection, now?

memester

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:18 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120365 wrote:
I don't know what you mean.I "willed" to turn over my wallet, but I was forced to do it. So, what is your objection, now?

I can say you were not forced; you chose the better action. You were forced in a legal sense , however, but that is for placing blame or not , as to things we "should or shouldn't" do.

But you actually were not forced overwhelmingly.

The thing is that both arguments end up at the same dead end. They are equally true or untrue.

It therefore doesn't matter, as we behave as if we have will, and so we do. Our actions say we do. And yet because belief in having will, takes belief in causation - and we can think back only as far as the initial event - where causation ends too, it's dead a end for both.

Unless will existed before the initial event Smile

kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:26 pm
@memester,
memester;120368 wrote:
You were not forced; you chose the better action. You were forced in a legal sense , however, but that is for placing blame or not , as to things we "should or shouldn't" do

If someone holds a gun to my head, I was forced. I had to do something I did not want to do. What do you mean by "being forced"? What would the "non-legal sense" be?

memester

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120370 wrote:
If someone holds a gun to my head, I was forced. I had to do something I did not want to do. What do you mean by "being forced"? What would the "non-legal sense" be?
You're merely repeating that you were forced. Where did "wants" come to be equated with will ?

a non legal sense would be that you were not overwhelmingly forced, you gave up your wallet in exchange for better odds of remaining unharmed. Like elective surgery.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:37 pm
@memester,
memester;120372 wrote:
You're merely repeating that you were forced. Where did "wants" come to be equated with will ?

a non legal sense would be that you were not overwhelmingly forced, you gave up your wallet in exchange for better odds of remaining unharmed. Like elective surgery.

So I was not forced to give up my wallet (in a legal sense) according to you. But you just said I was forced in a legal sense. Make up your mind, please.

I don't know what you mean by "will". I interpreted it as wanting to do something. If that is not what you mean, I don't know what you mean by "will". Maybe you had better explain what you mean-if anything. Anyway, when people tell me that they did something of their own free will, I always understand them as denying that they were forced to do what they did, since that is what it means in English. How do you understand them?

memester

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 10:53 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120376 wrote:
So I was not forced to give up my wallet (in a legal sense) according to you.
No, I said you were forced, in a legal sense.

Quote:

But you just said I was forced in a legal sense. Make up your mind, please.
I repeated what I said, which is not what you say I said. I haven't changed my mind.
Quote:

I don't know what you mean by "will". I interpreted it as wanting to do something. If that is not what you mean, I don't know what you mean by "will". Maybe you had better explain what you mean-if anything. Anyway, when people tell me that they did something of their own free will, I always understand them as denying that they were forced to do what they did, since that is what it means in English. How do you understand them?
You can define "will " however you choose to. You might say it's "wants", but you may have competing 'wants", eh ?

However, you seem to choose to define it so that if it can be overcome, then that is evidence of will not existing. I'd have to track back to note where your argument has circled round and round on this.
It really doesn't matter what people deny, though, does it ?
Is that even part of the argument ?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:07 pm
@memester,
memester;120379 wrote:
No, I said you were forced, in a legal sense.

I repeated what I said, which is not what you say I said. I haven't changed my mind.
You can define "will " however you choose to.

However, you seem to choose to define it so that if it can be overcome, then that is evidence of will not existing. I'd have to track back to note where your argument has circled round and round on this.
It really doesn't matter what people deny, though, does it ?
Is that even part of the argument ?

And I asked back, what is it to be forced in a non-legal sense. I don't define "will" at all, since I don't know what it is supposed to mean except to want to do something. You don't seem to mean that, so I don't know what it means.

What I said is that when people say they did something of their own free will, they are saying that they were not compelled to do it. What do you think it means for someone to say he did something of his own free will? It cannot be just that he did it, since he might do it and be forced to do it. No one means by, "I did it of my own free will" what you believe they ought to mean by it, according to some theory of yours. Why do you think that is. I would say that it is because your theory of what it means is wrong.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 12:44:51