What is Free Will?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

memester

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:31 pm
@kennethamy,
I'd say that people make excuses, and are not to be believed in any case, because they are usually just parroting.What they might claim is not even really on the table for consideration except as legal defense, sometimes known as " lying your ass off".

kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:34 pm
@memester,
memester;120397 wrote:
I'd say that people make excuses, and are not to be believed in any case, because they are usually just parroting.

But isn't that what, "I did it of my own free will" means? "I wasn't forced to do it" ? How is that an excuse? In fact it denies there is an excuse, namely having been forced to do it. I am not following you.

memester

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:53 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120399 wrote:
But isn't that what, "I did it of my own free will" means? "I wasn't forced to do it" ? How is that an excuse? In fact it denies there is an excuse, namely having been forced to do it. I am not following you.

It doesn't matter, what people may claim about their actions.
A gang member might claim that he was forced to shoot you because you did not respect him enough.

It's merely excuse-making, and because he is already engaged in forbidden activity, we do not buy it from him - but we do buy it from , for instance, a bank teller ( that she was "forced" to hand over the money).

ACB

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 08:09 am
@kennethamy,
Can we clarify what "forced" means? Suppose you are a bank employee handling a large amount of cash when a robber bursts in. I would say the following:

1. If the robber snatches the cash out of your hands, or hypnotises you into handing it over to him, you are forced in a physical sense; you literally have no choice.

2. If the robber orders you at gunpoint to hand over the cash, you are not forced in a physical sense (since you have the choice of refusing) but you are forced in a legal sense (i.e. you have a good excuse, so you will not be punished). You act of your own will (choice), but not of your own free will.

3. If you know the robber is unarmed and physically weaker than you, but you give him some cash just to make him go away and stop being a nuisance, then you are not forced in any sense to give him the money, but you are caused to do so. You act of your own free will, and therefore do not have a good excuse for your action.

The boundary between force and non-force is not always clear-cut. For example, if I am in pain and take a painkiller, am I forced to do so? I think it depends how bad the pain is.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 08:13 am
@memester,
memester;120440 wrote:
It doesn't matter, what people may claim about their actions.
A gang member might claim that he was forced to shoot you because you did not respect him enough.

It's merely excuse-making, and because he is already engaged in forbidden activity, we do not buy it from him - but we do buy it from , for instance, a bank teller ( that she was "forced" to hand over the money).

But sometimes people are forced to do things they don't want to do. Aren't they? And, when they claim they are, then they are right, their claim is true. And then they have what we call, a valid excuse. And since the bank teller was forced to hand over the money, why do you place quotes around the word, forced? Don't you think she was really forced. Was she lying?) But I don't see what this has to do with our question, what is free will? Isn't it true that people don't do things of their own free will when they are forced to do those things? The question does not really have much to do with the idea of "will", whatever that is.

---------- Post added 01-16-2010 at 09:23 AM ----------

ACB;120307 wrote:
I would like to pick up the following point, from post #166:

---------- Post added 01-15-2010 at 11:54 PM ----------

And the following, from post #170:

What do the contributors to this thread think about the above points?

I think they are clear, incisive, and true. They also show a masterful grasp of the problem, and philosophy in general.

memester

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 08:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120442 wrote:
But sometimes people are forced to do things they don't want to do. Aren't they?
there are forces..the question relates to an "overwhelming force"..not force such as a light breeze... "forcing" my axe through a person's skull, and not the idea that fear of possible ridicule "forced" me to kill someone who insults me.
Legally, we do accept excuses for behaviours, but the excuse must be somewhat reasonable. Not light wind "forcing" my axe -even though there is force - it's not considered overwhelming -so no excuse.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 08:32 am
@memester,
memester;120446 wrote:
there are forces..the question relates to an "overwhelming force"..not force such as a light breeze... "forcing" my axe through a person's skull, and not the idea that fear of possible ridicule "forced" me to kill someone who insults me.

I did not know the issue was "overwhelming force". Anyway, I would find the threat of death pretty overwhelming. Wouldn't you?

memester

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 08:33 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120448 wrote:
I did not know the issue was "overwhelming force". Anyway, I would find the threat of death pretty overwhelming. Wouldn't you?
not necessarily. if it's me or my child, then my child lives at the cost of my life. this kind of demonstration of will, has been seen many many times.

I merely choose the better option .

kennethamy

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:08 am
@memester,
memester;120449 wrote:
not necessarily. if it's me or my child, then my child lives at the cost of my life. this kind of demonstration of will, has been seen many many times.

I merely choose the better option .

Right. But how does that mean I chose the lesser of the evils of my own free will? You think that in the novel, Sophie's Choice, that Sophie, the mother, chose one of her children to die of her own free will?

memester

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:10 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120452 wrote:
Right. But how does that mean I chose the lesser of the evils of my own free will? You think that in the novel, Sophie's Choice, that Sophie, the mother, chose one of her children to die of her own free will?
the way I see it, you fail to reason that EVERY action is, ultimately, forced, and yet do reason that some actions are forced.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:22 am
@memester,
memester;120453 wrote:
the way I see it, you fail to reason that EVERY action is, ultimately, forced, and yet do reason that some actions are forced.

Why do you think that every action is forced? When I eat a good juicy steak (which I love) why do you think I have been forced to eat that delicious steak? Of course, some actions are forced, and some are not. What is supposed to be the matter with that?

Krumple

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:42 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120460 wrote:
Why do you think that every action is forced? When I eat a good juicy steak (which I love) why do you think I have been forced to eat that delicious steak? Of course, some actions are forced, and some are not. What is supposed to be the matter with that?

In a sense he is saying, "free will" should be renamed, "limited choice".

memester

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 10:16 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;120463 wrote:
right. unless we want to say that having free will means we can do anything and everything.

---------- Post added 01-16-2010 at 11:18 AM ----------

kennethamy;120460 wrote:
can you name an action that is not forced ? Walking forward ? No muscular force applied ? Speaking ? No force applied ?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:46 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;120463 wrote:

Why? All assertions take place within a context. He is not constrained to eat the steak. Proof: he really wants to eat the steak.

---------- Post added 01-16-2010 at 12:49 PM ----------

memester;120469 wrote:
right. unless we want to say that having free will means we can do anything and everything.

---------- Post added 01-16-2010 at 11:18 AM ----------

can you name an action that is not forced ? Walking forward ? No muscular force applied ? Speaking ? No force applied ?

Sure, eating a nice juicy steak. No body means by being forced to eat a nice juicy steak that he has to chew it. You know that. You are just punning on the word, "forced". Being forced to do something means having to do something you don't want to do. You are just kidding around with language. Changing the meanings of words doesn't prove a thing. As Lincoln said, "calling a dog's tail a leg doesn't mean a dog has five legs, because calling a dog's tail a leg doesn't make it a leg". Words of wisdom.

memester

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 01:10 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120481 wrote:
Why? All assertions take place within a context. He is not constrained to eat the steak. Proof: he really wants to eat the steak.

---------- Post added 01-16-2010 at 12:49 PM ----------

Sure, eating a nice juicy steak.
Forces applied by jaws and teeth. Forces applied due to hunger. Forces applied in obtaining the steak too. Forces all over the place from start to finish, including forces on the mind such as being accustomed to eating at certain times and of certain foods.

How can you see any significance of difference between being forced by hunger or imagined needs, vs. being forced by feeling a gun threat or even by feeling an imagined gun threat ? If you hold your hand in your pocket I imagine it is a deadly threat, I am forced to hand over my wallet...

and yet bodily response to hunger is not included in your list of forcings ?

My response to "hand in pocket" was forced but response to lack of food was not ?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 01:38 pm
@memester,
memester;120510 wrote:
Forces applied by jaws and teeth. Forces applied due to hunger. Forces applied in obtaining the steak too. Forces all over the place from start to finish, including forces on the mind such as being accustomed to eating at certain times and of certain foods.

How can you see any significance of difference between being forced by hunger or imagined needs, vs. being forced by feeling a gun threat or even by feeling an imagined gun threat ? If you hold your hand in your pocket I imagine it is a deadly threat, I am forced to hand over my wallet...

and yet bodily response to hunger is not included in your list of forcings ?

My response to "hand in pocket" was forced but response to lack of food was not ?

But I am talking about forcing people to do things. It is that which is the opposite of free will. I am not talking about forcing my jaws to move and chew. As I said, you are just playing around with words. I don't have free will when I am under compulsion. Not when my jaws are chewing food. My hunger did not force me to eat a steak. It just forced me to eat. I wanted to eat that steak. Believe me, no one, and nothing forced me to eat steak rather than broccoli.

memester

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 02:39 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;120528 wrote:
But I am talking about forcing people to do things. It is that which is the opposite of free will. I am not talking about forcing my jaws to move and chew. As I said, you are just playing around with words. I don't have free will when I am under compulsion. Not when my jaws are chewing food. My hunger did not force me to eat a steak. It just forced me to eat. I wanted to eat that steak. Believe me, no one, and nothing forced me to eat steak rather than broccoli.
oh. Now you have only a choice between steak and broccoli. I'd choose steak too. I'd be forced to, as broccoli gives me gas. Laughing I'd truly be compelled to choose against broccoli by my high regard for fellow elevator riders. Unless in a good breeze in outdoors conditions; then the compulsion to chose against broccoli would be much less, and I do like broccoli.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 03:43 pm
@memester,
memester;120542 wrote:
oh. Now you have only a choice between steak and broccoli. I'd choose steak too. I'd be forced to, as broccoli gives me gas. Laughing I'd truly be compelled to choose against broccoli by my high regard for fellow elevator riders. Unless in a good breeze in outdoors conditions; then the compulsion to chose against broccoli would be much less, and I do like broccoli.

O.K. I accept your surrender. Try again, sometime.

prothero

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 04:11 pm
@memester,
memester;120133 wrote:
It's not useful because whatever you decide about will, there is only one useful way to proceed...and that is as if we have will.
Thats right. Free will is one of those hard core common sense notions (Pierce's commonsensism) that everyone assumes in practice even if they deny it in theory. We all assume that we have choices (the ability to do otherwise) and that those choices make a difference.
Everyone presupposes meaningful "free will" in practice even if they deny it in theory. Discussions of free will are useful in clarifying ones notions of will, causality, determinism and other related concepts but in practice (pragmatism) we are all free will advocates.
The same goes for mind independent external reality.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 04:20 pm
@prothero,
prothero;120556 wrote:
Thats right. Free will is one of those hard core common sense notions (Pierce's commonsensism) that everyone assumes in practice even if they deny it in theory. We all assume that we have choices (the ability to do otherwise) and that those choices make a difference.
Everyone presupposes meaningful "free will" in practice even if they deny it in theory. Discussions of free will are useful in clarifying ones notions of will, causality, determinism and other related concepts but in practice (pragmatism) we are all free will advocates.
The same goes for mind independent external reality.

How does what you write here make what memester say right? Everyone may assume free will in practice, but isn't it important what the person who assumes free will means by "free will"? I am not clear what memester means by "free will", but it does not seem to be what is ordinarily meant by that term. So, what memester has in mind by free will may be nothing like what you (or I) have in mind. Two people may agree that there is a God, but how significant is that agreement if one's God is the other's devil?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 01:04:27