The Real is Rational

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 06:40 am
@Extrain,
Quote:

Extrain;152677 wrote:
? If you made a living doing the impossible, then it necessarily follows you didn't do anything, precisely because whatever it was you thought you did, you actually didn't do, since, in accordance with what you said, "everything is impossible." If you did do something, on the other hand, then it necessarily follows that whatever you did is possible to do.

All I have done, and I have done everything, will be wiped away by time; so I did nothing, and was nothing...

?

Quote:

That's the very question philosophy and science asks, "what are these things"? The disciplines which investigate that question are empirical science and metaphysics.

However, now you are directly suggesting you know the true nature of reality independent of science and philosophy. Do you have some superior God-like knowledge scientists and philosophers fail to possess? That's inconsistent with everything you are saying, not to mention, arrogant.

Of morality, which is my focus as a moralist, I can say only what it is not, which is to say it is infinite...

Quote:

But this is inconsistent with your own admission that you don't know anything. You would already have to know that "spiritual and moral reality" are not logical or rational in order to claim to know that logic and reason do not apply to these things themselves. After all, what if logic and reason do apply to spirituality and morality, but you just didn't know it?

Of the moral world, one does not know because knowledge is impossible, so instead, one feels... I live life by the braille method...I feel my way through it...And of course, what I can say I say by hunch, or insight; and I see that morals have their logic, but it is not the logic of the physical world...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 06:45 am
@Fido,
Fido;152702 wrote:
Greece of Plato and Socrates, and Rome of the Caesars, and Germany of Nietzsche were all fantasy worlds, and they must have seemed so, as our own world does... That is what societies in decline are like...And it is our obligation to see through all the smoke and rubbish to some true value...

I don't know about you, but my world doesn't not seem fantastic. "Life is real, and life is earnest" from where I sit. Is where you dwell a place named "OZ"? They give you green-tinted spectacles before you enter the city walls. Maybe that explains it.

---------- Post added 04-16-2010 at 08:48 AM ----------

Fido;152719 wrote:
Of the moral world, one does not know because knowledge is impossible, so instead, one feels... I live life by the braille method...I feel my way through it...And of course, what I can say I say by hunch, or insight; and I see that morals have their logic, but it is not the logic of the physical world...

As Extrain has already inquired, if knowledge is impossible, how can you know all this, including that knowledge is impossible? Have you ever wondered about that?

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:04 am
@kennethamy,
Quote:

kennethamy;152720 wrote:
I don't know about you, but my world doesn't not seem fantastic. "Life is real, and life is earnest" from where I sit. Is where you dwell a place named "OZ"? They give you green-tinted spectacles before you enter the city walls. Maybe that explains it.

---------- Post added 04-16-2010 at 08:48 AM ----------
Oz was Us, and the characters in that story were: Industry that needed a heart, and got a clock, the eight hour day; Farmers who needed education and got land grant colleges, Government that needed courage, and got a testimonial to its courage... Was it strange to you???

If reality were real, which is to say: if the forms worked, and fed the realtionships, then so many people would not be trying to escape them through drugs like religion, or power, or sex, or with drugs in fact... People are trying to correct reality by changing their own perceptions of it because they cannot change the thing in fact, and they have lost the essential sense of power from their lives...I think it is fantastic, but in a nightmarish sort of way...

Quote:

As Extrain has already inquired, if knowledge is impossible, how can you know all this, including that knowledge is impossible? Have you ever wondered about that?

Knowledge of the physical world is possible to an extent, but that is not where human problems lie...In the moral world, uncertainty is certain...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:08 am
@Fido,
Fido;152731 wrote:
Knowledge of the physical world is possible to an extent, but that is not where human problems lie...In the moral world, uncertainty is certain...

And how do you know that uncertainty is certain when you say that knowledge is impossible?

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:24 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152734 wrote:
And how do you know that uncertainty is certain when you say that knowledge is impossible?

It is exactly because no experiment can be devised which does not skew the results, and because we are talking of moral forms with meaning, but without being... It is possible to get a sense of the effect of moral forms on the life of people and their societies by observation, but it is all anachdotal... We can see how people behave... We can try to put that together with what they say they believe; but there is nothing we can count as true knowedge... We are dealing with infinites, and to believe Kant, we can have only finite knowledge...That much is obvious, and that is about the extent of our knowledge, of matters in gross; and if we cannot move from the general to the particular we cannot say we have a true conception of the thing, so I do not say I know truth, or know at all... All I know is I don't know; and that I do not need to, to observe what we can all observe...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:35 am
@Fido,
Fido;152746 wrote:
It is exactly because no experiment can be devised which does not skew the results, and because we are talking of moral forms with meaning, but without being... It is possible to get a sense of the effect of moral forms on the life of people and their societies by observation, but it is all anachdotal... We can see how people behave... We can try to put that together with what they say they believe; but there is nothing we can count as true knowedge... We are dealing with infinites, and to believe Kant, we can have only finite knowledge...That much is obvious, and that is about the extent of our knowledge, of matters in gross; and if we cannot move from the general to the particular we cannot say we have a true conception of the thing, so I do not say I know truth, or know at all... All I know is I don't know; and that I do not need to, to observe what we can all observe...

So, how did you say you knew that certainty is impossible when, at the same time, you say that knowledge is impossible?

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:50 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152758 wrote:
So, how did you say you knew that certainty is impossible when, at the same time, you say that knowledge is impossible?

Stating the obvious is not philosophy...It is like saying the sun rises, which people say even while they know better...In moral questions the object is not certainty nor knowledge, but only a sense, which may be enough if we have enough of it to keep us from destruction... I know what I can prove, and of the moral world I can prove nothing, so the standard of knowledge has to be lowered, or the meaning of the word must be changed to something other than knowledge as we usually consider the word... I would rather avoid it all if I can so I can observe and draw some insupportable conclusions...Do we not accept much of history as fact even while knowing it to be fiction???The same is true of psychology and sociology, that it is fiction...And it is fiction because fact is impossible, so why not a plausible lie??? It gives us somehing besides a Gordian knot to deal with...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:52 am
@Fido,
Fido;152767 wrote:
Stating the obvious is not philosophy...It is like saying the sun rises, which people say even while they know better...In moral questions the object is not certainty nor knowledge, but only a sense, which may be enough if we have enough of it to keep us from destruction... I know what I can prove, and of the moral world I can prove nothing, so the standard of knowledge has to be lowered, or the meaning of the word must be changed to something other than knowledge as we usually consider the word... I would rather avoid it all if I can so I can observe and draw some insupportable conclusions...Do we not accept much of history as fact even while knowing it to be fiction???The same is true of psychology and sociology, that it is fiction...And it is fiction because fact is impossible, so why not a plausible lie??? It gives us somehing besides a Gordian knot to deal with...

How did you say you knew that certainty is impossible when, at the same time, you say that knowledge is impossible?

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:59 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152769 wrote:
How did you say you knew that certainty is impossible when, at the same time, you say that knowledge is impossible?

Because that much is obvious, though I can't prove that either... The Sun also rises...Isn't it obvious???

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 09:10 am
@Fido,
Fido;152773 wrote:
Because that much is obvious, though I can't prove that either... The Sun also rises...Isn't it obvious???

To say something is obvious is to say how you know it is true. So, when you say it is obvious, you are (I suppose) saying that you know that it is true. So my question to you is this: If you say that knowledge is impossible, then how is it possible for you to know that certainty is impossible when you have just said that knowledge is impossible? How can you state both that you know that certainty is impossible, and also, that knowledge is impossible without contradicting yourself? (The answer, "it is obvious" is not, as you can see, available to you, since it is an answer to a different question which supposes that you have not contradicted yourself). Isn't analytic philosophy interesting and useful?

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:20 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152780 wrote:
To say something is obvious is to say how you know it is true. So, when you say it is obvious, you are (I suppose) saying that you know that it is true. So my question to you is this: If you say that knowledge is impossible, then how is it possible for you to know that certainty is impossible when you have just said that knowledge is impossible? How can you state both that you know that certainty is impossible, and also, that knowledge is impossible without contradicting yourself? (The answer, "it is obvious" is not, as you can see, available to you, since it is an answer to a different question which supposes that you have not contradicted yourself). Isn't analytic philosophy interesting and useful?

There is knowing, and there is proving, and I would never try to say I know Know, without reasonble proof... Let me give you an example: If you read ancient literature, and some historiaclly based writing on the Germanic tribes, and then exmaine anthropolical evidence of the American Indian, you might be inclined to draw some reasonable conclusions, and even support them, and more fundamentally, to form a picture of the whole for each from the parts of the many... And I am not saying this is a mistake; but to suggest one actually knows something about people long dead is foolish, because the proof is so slight... What is in it for me to have certainty??? What is in it for me to say I know??? I am not buying into some ego trip, when to be honest, we can know but little and presume a lot with reasonable evidence... The problem is not -knowing or not knowing... The problem is the usual moral question: How honest can we be about the state of our knowledge...

Of some subjects under the heading of physics we can know and prove... Of moral questions we may know with evidence, and not prove...Moral knowledge is not the equivalent of physical knowledge, and should not even be called knowledge, and the point is not to do, as it is with physical knowledge, but is with morallity to prevent doing evil...

Anyone can do...Anyone can say they know; but the object of honesty is to say that without certain knowledge that good will result from ones actions no one should do...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:43 am
@Fido,
Fido;152806 wrote:
There is knowing, and there is proving, and I would never try to say I know Know, without reasonble proof... Let me give you an example: If you read ancient literature, and some historiaclly based writing on the Germanic tribes, and then exmaine anthropolical evidence of the American Indian, you might be inclined to draw some reasonable conclusions, and even support them, and more fundamentally, to form a picture of the whole for each from the parts of the many... And I am not saying this is a mistake; but to suggest one actually knows something about people long dead is foolish, because the proof is so slight... What is in it for me to have certainty??? What is in it for me to say I know??? I am not buying into some ego trip, when to be honest, we can know but little and presume a lot with reasonable evidence... The problem is not -knowing or not knowing... The problem is the usual moral question: How honest can we be about the state of our knowledge...

Of some subjects under the heading of physics we can know and prove... Of moral questions we may know with evidence, and not prove...Moral knowledge is not the equivalent of physical knowledge, and should not even be called knowledge, and the point is not to do, as it is with physical knowledge, but is with morallity to prevent doing evil...

Anyone can do...Anyone can say they know; but the object of honesty is to say that without certain knowledge that good will result from ones actions no one should do...

But what has this to do with your saying that you know something, and, at the same time, saying that it is impossible to know anything? And what has this to do with the absurd claim that philosophy is physics?

Should do what?

Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:55 am
@Fido,
Fido;152806 wrote:

Fido why do you do this? -> (word word word... word word word..., etc.) Do you have difficulty completing a sentence? Or do you just lose focus of what you were trying to say?

1. Morality deals with what ought to be done, not with preventing evil. How can Morality not be knowledge? What is it then?

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152820 wrote:
But what has this to do with your saying that you know something, and, at the same time, saying that it is impossible to know anything? And what has this to do with the absurd claim that philosophy is physics?

Should do what?

Impossible is a degree of difficulty... The word has no absolute meaning... Like most words... Neither does knowing have an absolute meaning... Are you guys dense or what... People act as if they do know when they do not... I admit I know not, so I do not, and you want me to drink hemlock... I swear.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:44 pm
@Fido,
Fido;152702 wrote:
Greece of Plato and Socrates, and Rome of the Caesars, and Germany of Nietzsche were all fantasy worlds, and they must have seemed so, as our own world does... That is what societies in decline are like...And it is our obligation to see through all the smoke and rubbish to some true value...

I'll grant you that. And I think we both despise greed and fanaticism. But as I've said before, I sometimes think that all one can manage, unless one has the reigns, is to live well, doing the least amount of harm. Personally, I buy no junk, crave nothing fancy. Well, I don't like ugly clothes. But you get the point. Is this good enough, in your opinion? Or do you hold the view that one must be an activist? I've told you before that I feel like a germ on the back of a whale. I am one among billions. Is it a heroic dream to think that 1 among billions can make a difference? Assassination is not an option. Don't people often get the government they deserve? It's human nature to be happy with a steady paycheck, box to live in, and a TV set, maybe some kids to raise. Excepting of course those freaks known as philosophers. And sure, there is pride in certain careers/jobs/calling, etc.
I find questions like this valid: Should one help 10 strangers first or just one human who happens to be one's wife/friend/sibling? I would of course choose the wife/friend/sibling. A certain amount of selfishness is unavoidable. Could not one argue for the greater number? And yet how sincere would that be? Also our money is all mixed together in an abstract pool... and most of it is digital. Cash is a small fraction of our fiat currency.
For me, my own values are true. Are they true universally? What is the standard? Who is the judge? With rspect, recon

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:52 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding_an_Sich;152826 wrote:
Fido why do you do this? -> (word word word... word word word..., etc.) Do you have difficulty completing a sentence? Or do you just lose focus of what you were trying to say?

1. Morality deals with what ought to be done, not with preventing evil. How can Morality not be knowledge? What is it then?

Just a bad habit I picked up from a site that would not allow paragraphs... Never mind it...

No; morals as morale is opposed to physic, one being a physical condition, and the other a spiritual condition... Morals as ethics often does consider the behavior of people as normative; but only in the light of the spiritual connection between the individual and his community, as a form of relationshhip...There, morals tell a perrson more what they should not do than what they should do, and a good example is the thou shall nots of the ten commandments... Laws restrict, and do not require...
Moral forms are all the forms people find meaning in though they have no actual being... They are not real...God is not real... Truth is not real...Goodness is not real; and yet all these forms have meaning to people and people act as though they are real...They are not true abstractions as number is to real objects, but they are instead only meaning without being...Since their meaning, a quality given to subjectivity is their only being we must continually wrangle with what they are according to what they mean... And where do they get their meaning to begin with???

Extrain

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 01:44 pm
@Fido,
Fido;152867 wrote:
Impossible is a degree of difficulty... The word has no absolute meaning... Like most words... Neither does knowing have an absolute meaning... Are you guys dense or what... People act as if they do know when they do not... I admit I know not, so I do not, and you want me to drink hemlock... I swear.

But again, how do you know any of this is true if you don't know anything?

If all of this is just your opinion, then none of us have any good reason to think what you say is true. So we can just ignore you.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 02:22 pm
@Reconstructo,
Now this book can be interpreted in many ways. So this is just me twisting W to my own despicable uses. I myself find no shortage of Kant & Hegel in Witt.

Quote:

1.13 The facts in logical space are the world.
What else can the world be, as you sit in your chair, thinking about the world?
Quote:

2.013 Each thing is, as it were, in a space of possible states of affairs. This space I can imagine empty, but I cannot imagine the thing without the space.
2.0131 A spatial object must be situated in infinite space. (A spatial point is an argument-place.) A speck in the visual field, thought it need not be red, must have some colour: it is, so to speak, surrounded by colour-space. Notes must have some pitch, objects of the sense of touch some degree of hardness, and so on.
I've been looking at formulas for area and volume. Excepting the constant pi, they are intuitionally obvious, especially the simple shapes. Cubes are the simplest examples of volume. Length times width times height. This whole thing is grounded on the way we humans cannot help but experience space. And the impossibility of notes without pitch, specks without color, remind me how inseparable form and content are. (My avatar symbolizes this. We never experience the bottom corners of the triangle. Formless content or contentless form.
Quote:

2.021 Objects make up the substance of the world. That is why they cannot be composite.
It's true that we can "zoom in" on a table, and switch to the atom as object, or zoom in further, to neutrons and protons, or further still, to quarks. But it does seem that objects are substance, and that objects are concepts organizing sensation. Form + content. Substance is concept is subject.
Quote:

3.03 Thought can never be of anything illogical, since, if it were, we should have to think illogically.
3.031 It used to be said that God could create anything except what would be contrary to the laws of logic. The truth is that we could not say what an 'illogical' world would look like.
3.032 It is as impossible to represent in language anything that 'contradicts logic' as it is in geometry to represent by its coordinates a figure that contradicts the laws of space, or to give the coordinates of a point that does not exist.
This is what I mean by rational. We cannot experience content without form, and form is ratio, is rationality. Form is sometimes just mathematical ratio. More often it's that more complex form of concept, logos, made of words. And words organize the objects they unite into a system of relations, including time and causality, ownership, use, etc.
Quote:

4.113 Philosophy sets limits to the much disputed sphere of natural science.
4.114 It must set limits to what can be thought; and, in doing so, to what cannot be thought. It must set limits to what cannot be thought by working outwards through what can be thought.
It seems that science is impossible without an implicit epistemology, ontology, etc.
Quote:

5.4711 To give the essence of a proposition means to give the essence of all description, and thus the essence of the world.
It seems to me that essence and concept are one. A river is not the water that is constantly rushing away, but rather the concept that sees the static in the dynamic. Heraclitus was wrong. You can indeed step into the same river twice. To step into the same water isn't necessarily. And our bodies replace their matter every so often.
Quote:

5.4731 Self-evidence, which Russell talked about so much, can become dispensable in logic, only because language itself prevents every logical mistake.-What makes logic a priori is the impossibility of illogical thought.
It's clear he's addressing transcendental logic, or the structure/limits of thought.
Quote:

5.53 Identity of object I express by identity of sign, and not by using a sign for identity. Difference of objects I express by difference of signs.
5.533 The identity-sign, therefore, is not an essential constituent of conceptual notation.
This is why the unary number system fascinates me, and also the number one/unity. This is a transcendental root. Objects are unifications. Numbers are unifications. Thought is unification/identity.

And we can unify these prior unifications. We unify sensations into cat, dog, mouse. And further unify these unifications into "mammal" "pet" ,etc.

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 02:55 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;152915 wrote:
But again, how do you know any of this is true if you don't know anything?

If all of this is just your opinion, then none of us have any good reason to think what you say is true. So we can just ignore you.

I did not say I did not know anything meaning everything, but of moral forms no one can say they know, including myself... Observing the moral world from without, from the physical world were one may know, I can compare the sensual world to the spiritual and see in the spiritual a total want of knowledge...People talk as though they have shaved the face of God, and don't know anything...They talk of justiice like an old friend and know nothing...What can we observe of people's behavior??? That is all based upon moral judgements, or are they not??? Do they not do as they think??? Do I know this??? Maybe people do as they don't think, or by some other combination...Morality is where the philosophy is because the questions so essential to our survival individually and all, are there asked even when no certain answer presents...

If there is a moral world we live in within the physical world that we must master to live, then one meaning of this thought is that we must have freedom of will because morality is a choice, as I would suggest, made on the want of knowledge, but made regardless, and were we slaves, and where people are slaves no such moral choice is allowed to them... The powerless cannot be moral, and the powerful must be because no one can resist them...

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:17 pm
@Reconstructo,
Here's one of the best chunks of the TLP, which I have quoted before. The limits of language are, in my mind, the limits of the rational. We can have words like "transrational" or "irrational" or "infinite," but that doesn't mean that the concepts live up to their promise. Of course it's a matter of use. We make value judgments with "irrational" of course, but we are not looking at that issue here. I'm trying to get below the clash of rhetorics. And mystics/poets can use "transrational" in a good way, but I am suspicious of this word. Can it mean anything more than emotion or sensation? Well, that's a valid question, and I respect opposing opinions.
Quote:

5.6 The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.
5.61 Logic pervades the world: the limits of the world are also its limits. So we cannot say in logic, 'The world has this in it, and this, but not that.' For that would appear to presuppose that we were excluding certain possibilities, and this cannot be the case, since it would require that logic should go beyond the limits of the world; for only in that way could it view those limits from the other side as well. We cannot think what we cannot think; so what we cannot think we cannot say either.
5.62 This remark provides the key to the problem, how much truth there is in solipsism. For what the solipsist means is quite correct; only it cannot be said, but makes itself manifest. The world is my world: this is manifest in the fact that the limits of language (of that language which alone I understand) mean the limits of my world.
5.621 The world and life are one.
5.63 I am my world. (The microcosm.)
5.631 There is no such thing as the subject that thinks or entertains ideas. If I wrote a book called The World as l found it, I should have to include a report on my body, and should have to say which parts were subordinate to my will, and which were not, etc., this being a method of isolating the subject, or rather of showing that in an important sense there is no subject; for it alone could not be mentioned in that book.-
5.632 The subject does not belong to the world: rather, it is a limit of the world.
5.633 Where in the world is a metaphysical subject to be found? You will say that this is exactly like the case of the eye and the visual field. But really you do not see the eye. And nothing in the visual field allows you to infer that it is seen by an eye.
5.6331 For the form of the visual field is surely not like this
5.634 This is connected with the fact that no part of our experience is at the same time a priori. Whatever we see could be other than it is. Whatever we can describe at all could be other than it is. There is no a priori order of things.
5.64 Here it can be seen that solipsism, when its implications are followed out strictly, coincides with pure realism. The self of solipsism shrinks to a point without extension, and there remains the reality co-ordinated with it.
5.641 Thus there really is a sense in which philosophy can talk about the self in a non-psychological way. What brings the self into philosophy is the fact that 'the world is my world'. The philosophical self is not the human being, not the human body, or the human soul, with which psychology deals, but rather the metaphysical subject, the limit of the world-not a part of it.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:02:22