Defense of Freewill Against Determinism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Night Ripper

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:12 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;153674 wrote:
To say that the universe must behave according to laws is simpy to say that the laws will continue to actually characterize the behavior of the universe - to believe that the universe actually 'obeys' any laws is, as you suggest, fallacious.

Then any argument against us having free will because we are "controlled by laws of nature" is equally fallacious.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:12 pm
@Night Ripper,
The problem with determinism is that we couldn't ever realize that it is the case. If our brain mechanics are deterministic, then there is no way we can know that our senses report a realistic view of reality, and our observations are not merely a product of our internal brain mechanics. The concept sort of puts a layer of "dream machine" between human observation and 'reality'. In that sense it's a paradox to operate under the assumption of determinism. Therefore the concept of determinism sadly is not functional to find 'truth'.

---------- Post added 04-20-2010 at 01:35 AM ----------

BrightNoon;153858 wrote:
Agreed. I always smile when scientific-minded people tell me that correlation is not causation; not all correlation is causation, but all causation is nothing other than correlation of the highest degree.

Reconstructo;153861 wrote:
Well put. Do you smile because they are making a questionable distinction? That's why I would smile. Of course, in a practical sense, their question is not silly. But the only difference between correlation and causation would seem to be in the conception of such

Please explain. Does one thing not cause another? Take any simple example of cause - seems like causation to me.

Reconstructo;153861 wrote:
(also taking consensus and persuasion into consideration. The "insane"/"unscientific" are just the minority vote, etc.

How does that compute? The unscientific are those who's explanation do not correctly describe reality, not those who's explanation is supported by the minority.

Thanks.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:42 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;153845 wrote:
No reasonable person would deny that what we typically call volition does in fact exist as an experience; I think of moving my hand, then my hand moves. We all experience that sort of event all the time. The issue is whether or not the mental state preceeding the action in fact caused the action.

You no doubt chose to eat oatmeal; you thought about various breakfast options and decided to eat oatmeal, then in fact did eat oatmeal. The question is whether you could in that instance have made another choice. I say that you couldn't have. The fact that you presently can imagine yourself choosing bacon and eggs instead of oatmeal does not prove that in fact you could have made that alternate choice. As I stated in 'Against Possibility,' that very conceptual act, i.e. imagining various scenarios - whether at the moment of the choice or later in reflection - is all there is to possibility. That is the only meaning which the word has. I can point out that x led to y led to z as an instance of necessity - that did in fact happen. There is nothing to which you can point that is an instance of possibility - except the imagining. The world consists of is, not can, nor should.

The same is true of volition - the word means nothing except as it refers to the experience called 'making a choice.'

You may be right, but have you any argument to show that I could not have done otherwise if I had chosen otherwise? Why should I not believe that if I had chosen Froot Loups that I could not have eaten Froot Loups instead of oatmeal? And what makes you think I could not have chosen to eat Froot Loups? What is the argument? No one forced me to choose oatmeal, after all. I was free to choose Froot Loups. I just did not. Did I have reason for not choosing Froot Loups. Yes, I did not feel like eating Froot Loups, and I did not want to eat that much sugar.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:55 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;154173 wrote:
You may be right, but have you any argument to show that I could not have done otherwise if I had chosen otherwise? Why should I not believe that if I had chosen Froot Loups that I could not have eaten Froot Loups instead of oatmeal? And what makes you think I could not have chosen to eat Froot Loups? What is the argument? No one forced me to choose oatmeal, after all. I was free to choose Froot Loups. I just did not. Did I have reason for not choosing Froot Loups. Yes, I did not feel like eating Froot Loups, and I did not want to eat that much sugar.

The argument I can come up with is that any human action is a sequence of necessary physical reactions. If you drop a cannonball from a tower, it has to fall down. It can not happen otherwise. Our decisions are the same, just more complicated. So whatever we 'do' had to happen, then our cerebral cortex deceives us to think that we actually wanted it.
What do you think? (I'm not trying to convince you, try to argue with me.)

Smile

kennethamy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 06:08 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;154184 wrote:
The argument I can come up with is that any human action is a sequence of necessary physical reactions. If you drop a cannonball from a tower, it has to fall down. It can not happen otherwise. Our decisions are the same, just more complicated. So whatever we 'do' had to happen, then our cerebral cortex deceives us to think that we actually wanted it.
What do you think? (I'm not trying to convince you, try to argue with me.)

Smile

It is physically necessary that the cannon ball falls down, since that it falls down follows from certain laws of nature, and the initial conditions at the time. But it is not true that the cannon ball is compelled to fall, since it does not desire not to fall. The same thing is true of people. I may be caused to visit a restaurant by the suggestion of my friend. But I am not forced or compelled to visit the restaurant by my friend's suggestion, since I wanted to visit the restaurant, and I am not forced to do what I wanted to do. How can I be. And, if I am not forced to do what i wanted to do, but I did what I wanted to do, then I did what I did of my own free will. So, there is my argument. When I do what I want to do, and am under not compulsion, I do what I do of my own free will.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 06:30 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;154190 wrote:
It is physically necessary that the cannon ball falls down, since that it falls down follows from certain laws of nature,

Actually, rules of nature are merely explanations of reality that we invented. We observed nature and formulated rules that we think it operates by. We can't then say that nature has to behave as the laws say. (That would be circular.) The cannonball might just stay in the air one day, we don't know.
The argument I'm making is not that reality is knowable through laws of physics, but that reality is specific, i.e. it can only happen one way. Do I make sense?

kennethamy;154190 wrote:
When I do what I want to do, and am under not compulsion, I do what I do of my own free will.

It depends what we mean by free will. In a political context I define 'freedom' as you seem to do here, as the ability to not be coerced. So when nobody forces your choice, you are free. But in this context, by 'free will' we mean that "you could not have decided otherwise". It is purely a question of what happens in your own head. And in that sense, we only think that we could have decided otherwise.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 06:35 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;154202 wrote:

But in this context, by 'free will' we mean that "you could not have decided otherwise". It is purely a question of what happens in your own head. And in that sense, we only think that we could have decided otherwise.

But why do you think I could not have decided otherwise? Why could I not have decided to have Fruit Loups instead of oatmeal? What would have stopped me from doing so?

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 06:52 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;154204 wrote:
But why do you think I could not have decided otherwise? Why could I not have decided to have Fruit Loups instead of oatmeal? What would have stopped me from doing so?

It's Fruit Loops. :bigsmile:

Nothing stops you, you just never had a choice in the first place. You imagine unless something stops you, you have free will. But it's the other way around. It's not the absence of free will that has to be explained, but the existence of it.
We agree that a cannonball can only fall in one way, yes? This does not mean that we necessarily know how to explain what happens, but there is not possibility for variation. So then one billiard ball hitting another can also only happen in one way. And one molecule interacting with another can also only happen in one way. Then all the molecules in our heads can also only happen in one way. From a cannonball falling down a tower to all the molecules in our heads interacting, where does 'choice' come from?

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 06:58 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;154119 wrote:
I see, that sort of eternity.

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

-William Blake

Great poet to quote. His annotations in the margins of some of the books he owned are in my mind great philosophy. He's doing line by line criticism, and he puts aside his prophet sub-Miltonic style and gets as blunt as Bukowski.

---------- Post added 04-19-2010 at 08:02 PM ----------

EmperorNero;154211 wrote:
From a cannonball falling down a tower to all the molecules in our heads interacting, where does 'choice' come from?

Hi there, Nero! Ever read Suetonius? The 12 Caesars ? Nero and Caligula...quite a pair.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 06:47 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;154211 wrote:
It's Fruit Loops. :bigsmile:

Nothing stops you, you just never had a choice in the first place. You imagine unless something stops you, you have free will. But it's the other way around. It's not the absence of free will that has to be explained, but the existence of it.

But you keep saying that, but you never give any argument for it. If I choose vanilla, and then decide on butterscotch, that is, by definition, a case of choosing otherwise. How else could it be described? "I first chose vanilla, and then changed my mind and chose otherwise". Isn't that what happened? So there is a case of actually choosing otherwise, which you deny ever happens. Can you explain that?

EmperorNero

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:04 am
@Night Ripper,
Hmm... let me say it this way. When you dream, you think can fly (or do other impossible things). At the time, it is quite obvious to you that you in fact can fly. But your brain deceives you. If you were in my dream, and you wanted to convince me that I can't fly, how would you do it? What argument would you give me, who so obviously feels that I can fly?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:14 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;154420 wrote:
Hmm... let me say it this way. When you dream, you think can fly (or do other impossible things). At the time, it is quite obvious to you that you in fact can fly. But your brain deceives you. If you were in my dream, and you wanted to convince me that I can't fly, how would you do it? What argument would you give me, who so obviously feels that I can fly?

But I was not dreaming when I chose otherwise. I did choose otherwise. That is exactly how anyone who speaks English would describe what I did. It is up to you to say why despite the fact that what I did was a clear case of choosing otherwise, it really was not. What did I do if I did not choose otherwise when I changed my choice from vanilla to butterscotch?

Night Ripper

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:24 am
@Night Ripper,
If free will is only an illusion then would I feel any different if I were "really" free? If not, then why would I care? That's like saying that my car is an illusion but I can still drive it to work everyday and take long trips across country in it too. So what if it's an illusion, it still gets me to where I need to go. I'd only be concerned that it were an illusion if I couldn't go anywhere in it.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:32 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;154430 wrote:
If free will is only an illusion then would I feel any different if I were "really" free? If not, then why would I care? That's like saying that my car is an illusion but I can still drive it to work everyday and take long trips across country in it too. So what if it's an illusion, it still gets me to where I need to go. I'd only be concerned that it were an illusion if I couldn't go anywhere in it.

Yes, but that really is not the point. There is no good reason to say that free will is an illusion when it is clear that it is not.

EmperorNero

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:34 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;154427 wrote:
But I was not dreaming when I chose otherwise. I did choose otherwise. That is exactly how anyone who speaks English would describe what I did. It is up to you to say why despite the fact that what I did was a clear case of choosing otherwise, it really was not. What did I do if I did not choose otherwise when I changed my choice from vanilla to butterscotch?

I asked you to convince me, who is dreaming, that I can't fly. What is your argument?

---------- Post added 04-20-2010 at 03:41 PM ----------

Let me ask the other way around: If we did not have free will, how would it feel like?

Night Ripper

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:43 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;154437 wrote:
I asked you to convince me, who is dreaming, that I can't fly. What is your argument?

Try flapping your arms.

Let me ask the other way around: If we did not have free will, how would it feel like?

Tingly.

EmperorNero

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:48 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;154441 wrote:
Try flapping your arms.

But it's in my dream, when I flap my arms I do feel like I fly. Thus it's obvious that I can fly. There is no good reason to say that flying is an illusion when it is clear that it is not.

Night Ripper;154441 wrote:
Tingly.

We would think we have free will, but not actually have a choice, that's how it would feel like.

Night Ripper

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:54 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;154443 wrote:
But it's in my dream, when I flap my arms I do feel like I fly. Thus it's obvious that I can fly. There is no good reason to say that flying is an illusion when it is clear that it is not.

We would think we have free will, but not actually have a choice, that's how it would feel like.

It sounds like you're saying that I don't have free will and if someone tapped me with a magic wand to give me free will I wouldn't feel any different at all. If that's the case, why would I even care? What good is a new pair of glasses that look and feel exactly like the old pair?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 08:01 am
@EmperorNero,

---------- Post added 04-20-2010 at 03:41 PM ----------

But what has any of that to do with it? Why should I have to convince you of anything? I just gave you an argument. Deal with it. If I did not have free will I would feel (I guess) that I was compelled to do things I did not want to do. Perhaps like an obsessive compulsive. I don't feel that way. Do you?

Night Ripper

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 08:05 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;154449 wrote:
But what has any of that to do with it? Why should I have to convince you of anything? I just gave you an argument. Deal with it. If I did not have free will I would feel (I guess) that I was compelled to do things I did not want to do. Perhaps like an obsessive compulsive. I don't feel that way. Do you?

Yes, it seems that he either has to argue that we would feel different, which obviously we don't, or that we wouldn't feel different and therefore have no reason to care if we are free or not. It's a lose-lose argument.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:10:04