The Difference Between Causality and Determinism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 08:25 am
@ACB,
ACB;117661 wrote:
Kennethamy - Regarding your reply to Fil. Albuquerque:

This is a quibble. There are certainly hard and soft kinds of determinism, which is clearly what he means. (Just as hard cheese and soft cheese are two different kinds of cheese.)

actually no. Determinism is the same, our approach to it might be different...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 08:25 am
@ACB,
ACB;117661 wrote:
Kennethamy - Regarding your reply to Fil. Albuquerque:

This is a quibble. There are certainly hard and soft kinds of determinism, which is clearly what he means. (Just as hard cheese and soft cheese are two different kinds of cheese.)

Your analogy between "hard" and "soft" determinism, and "soft" and "hard" cheese, is proof that you do have any idea what "soft" and "hard" determinism mean, and therefore your views on them are worthless. Soft and hard determinism are not different kinds of determinism like soft and hard cheese. They are different ways in which determinism relates to free will. Why don't you just try to learn what those technical terms do mean, and stop saying silly things? The analogy is just ignorant.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 08:30 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117669 wrote:
Your analogy between "hard" and "soft" determinism, and "soft" and "hard" cheese, is proof that you do have any idea what "soft" and "hard" determinism mean, and therefore your views on them are worthless. Soft and hard determinism are not different kinds of determinism like soft and hard cheese. They are different ways in which determinism relates to free will. Why don't you just try to learn what those technical terms do mean, and stop saying silly things? The analogy is just ignorant.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 08:34 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;117674 wrote:

The person, ACB, who made the analogy "gets it"? Then, how does it happen that he made the silly analogy? And, apparently, you still do not "get it" since you think that ACB who made the false analogy, "gets it", and he obviously does not. Therefore, you don't "get it" either.

---------- Post added 01-06-2010 at 09:41 AM ----------

William James coined the terms, "soft determinism" and "hard determinism" is his famous essay, "The Dilemma of Determinism". You can read it, and learn about it, rather than making wild guesses.

William James's Essay: The Dilemma Of Determinism

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 08:43 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117675 wrote:
The person, ACB, who made the analogy "gets it"? Then, how does it happen that he made the silly analogy? And, apparently, you still do not "get it" since you think that ACB who made the false analogy, "gets it", and he obviously does not. Therefore, you don't "get it" either.

...see, this is a perfect example of the kind of philosophy that your compulsion

fast

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 08:51 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5302/fastslittlebox.png

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 08:55 am
@fast,
fast;117682 wrote:
editing in progress

Zetherin

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 08:58 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;117685 wrote:

You seem to know English and yet I still can barely grasp any sentence (I use this term loosely) you write.

And if you don't have a grasp of the English language, you shouldn't be usings the words you are using. We will not think you are dumb for using less, or simpler, words.

Can you go back to my last post to you and try to answer?

-

And ACB, you may have missed my last post to you, but it's the last one on the last page.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 08:58 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;117679 wrote:
...see, this is a perfect example of the kind of philosophy that your compulsion

Can you possibly explain what you are talking about?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 09:04 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;117687 wrote:
You seem to know English and yet I still can barely grasp any sentence (I use this term loosely) you write.

And if you don't have a grasp of the English language, you shouldn't be usings the words you are using. We will not think you are dumb for using less, or simpler, words.

Can you go back to my last post to you and try to answer?

-

And ACB, you may have missed my last post to you, but it's the last one on the last page.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 09:09 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;117689 wrote:

What words? You just don't know what "soft determinism" and "hard determinism" mean. So, until you do, you should not talk about them. Doesn't that make sense? But what did all this "burden" to the International Forum mean? I no longer think it is worth holding a conversation with you. Obrigado

fast

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 09:14 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;117685 wrote:
It's "too"; not "to".

Now that I've corrected you, tell me how to make my image show up.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 09:15 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;117689 wrote:

I think much of the problem here may be caused by a language barrier. We don't understand what you're saying, you don't understand what we're saying, both parties are assuming things, insults are being thrown.

Let's inject some peace into this conversation. What say you?

---------- Post added 01-06-2010 at 10:19 AM ----------

fast wrote:

It's "too"; not "to".

Now that I've corrected you, tell me how to make my image show up.

What image do you want to show up?

fast

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 09:21 am
@prothero,
Post 106

Zetherin

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 09:31 am
@fast,
fast;117699 wrote:
Post 106

Oh, show up in the thread. I could be wrong, but I think the admin removed the ability to post pictures after it was abused by a few members.

fast

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:11 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;117703 wrote:
Oh, show up in the thread.
Too funny! An alternative meaning of what I said didn't even cross me until you mentioned that.

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think the admin removed the ability to post pictures after it was abused by a few members.
Rats. It was my first image too.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:14 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;117694 wrote:
I think much of the problem here may be caused by a language barrier. We don't understand what you're saying, you don't understand what we're saying, both parties are assuming things, insults are being thrown.

Let's inject some peace into this conversation. What say you?

What image do you want to show up?

I Agree ! :a-ok:

---------- Post added 01-06-2010 at 11:34 AM ----------

kennethamy;117692 wrote:
What words? You just don't know what "soft determinism" and "hard determinism" mean. So, until you do, you should not talk about them. Doesn't that make sense? But what did all this "burden" to the International Forum mean? I no longer think it is worth holding a conversation with you. Obrigado

kennethamy

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:38 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;117694 wrote:
insults are being thrown.

I threw no insults. Have you an example?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:56 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117734 wrote:

Zetherin

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:59 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117734 wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
Hey, Albuquerque, you're a big, stinking pile of poo!

I dunno, man, looks like an insult to me.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 11:57:05