What's the difference between causation and correlation?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Neil D

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 06:59 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;70715 wrote:
So, what is your point? Physicists know how heating affects metal. It expands. And, further, they know why metal expands when heated. Why should they need "connection" with the metal (whatever that might mean)? They observe what happens. They have a theory about what happens. And they have confirmed that theory.

My point, how unexciting it may be, was just that I disagreed with what Hume said about ALL causes having MULTIPLE conceivable effects. But on second thought, ultimately, we dont have control of our thought processes 100 percent of the time. So I guess its possible for a nonsensical image, or idea to enter ones mind upon conceiving possible effects for a given cause, but i would not explicitly conceive the idea as a sensible outcome. Especially in the beheading example.

Physicists know that heating metal causes it to expand, as do I. But what I said was that if one had no knowledge of what metal was, then there would be no way to determine exactly that applying heat to it would cause it to expand. I have no sentiment, or internal impression of what metal is. I have no connection to it.

Furthermore, do physicists really know why the heat causes the metal to expand? They dont understand metal at its most fundamental level. Saying it affects the molecules may not be the precise cause.

There are also forces in the universe physicists dont understand. Gravity for one, its not clear whether its a force or a result of matter warping space. Also on a macro level, how do you know the quantum electrodynamic field in some obscure way doesnt have anything to do with the fact that metal expands when you heat it.

The point is that there is much we dont know, and what we do know for a particular cause and effect may not be the complete answer.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 10:25 pm
@Neil D,
Neil;70741 wrote:
My point, how unexciting it may be, was just that I disagreed with what Hume said about ALL causes having MULTIPLE conceivable effects. But on second thought, ultimately, we dont have control of our thought processes 100 percent of the time. So I guess its possible for a nonsensical image, or idea to enter ones mind upon conceiving possible effects for a given cause, but i would not explicitly conceive the idea as a sensible outcome. Especially in the beheading example.

Physicists know that heating metal causes it to expand, as do I. But what I said was that if one had no knowledge of what metal was, then there would be no way to determine exactly that applying heat to it would cause it to expand. I have no sentiment, or internal impression of what metal is. I have no connection to it.

Furthermore, do physicists really know why the heat causes the metal to expand? They dont understand metal at its most fundamental level. Saying it affects the molecules may not be the precise cause.

There are also forces in the universe physicists dont understand. Gravity for one, its not clear whether its a force or a result of matter warping space. Also on a macro level, how do you know the quantum electrodynamic field in some obscure way doesnt have anything to do with the fact that metal expands when you heat it.

The point is that there is much we dont know, and what we do know for a particular cause and effect may not be the complete answer.

Well, I would agree that people can be ignorant of some things. But I did not think that true was worth noting down.

What Hume said was that "anything can cause anything". (I think those were his exact words). And what he meant, I am pretty sure, is that it is logically possible for any event, x, to cause any event, y. And what that means is that it is never a logical contradiction to state that x causes y. And that is clearly true. A the denial of a true causal statement is never self-contradictory the way, for instance the denial of the statement that all triangles have three angles would be self-contradictory. Don't you agree with that?

Ultracrepidarian

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 11:00 pm
@kennethamy,
What about - Something that never turns into a frog can cause itself to turn into a frog? So, for example my toaster will never turn itself into a frog. Saying that it might is self-contradictory given the meaning of X & Y.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

or I can cause/draw a four-angled triangle.

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

Trying to to draw a four-sided triangle will always result in disappointment.
Trying to cause a toaster to morph into a puppet named Kermit will never happen

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

At least, not by clicking your heels together, patting your head, and reciting "Mary had a Little Lamb, little lamb, little lamb..."

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

Okay, maybe you could if you had a magic wand or some piece of technology from some super civilization that has developed a keen appreciation of frog/kitchen appliance related pranks. But that should go without saying. I'm saying we only have to work with what we have on our persons now. A rubberband, a paper clip, and a stick of gum. You have to go MacGyver on this toaster.

Neil D

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 10:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;70766 wrote:
Well, I would agree that people can be ignorant of some things. But I did not think that true was worth noting down.

What Hume said was that "anything can cause anything". (I think those were his exact words). And what he meant, I am pretty sure, is that it is logically possible for any event, x, to cause any event, y. And what that means is that it is never a logical contradiction to state that x causes y. And that is clearly true. A the denial of a true causal statement is never self-contradictory the way, for instance the denial of the statement that all triangles have three angles would be self-contradictory. Don't you agree with that?

What Hume said was that "For ANY cause, MULTIPLE effects are conceivable"

What you said is "anything can cause anything".

I agree that "any" = anything, but multiple is not = anything. So you were half right.

You seem to subscribe to the idea that any event can cause any other event, And you even go on to say it is not a logical contradiction in asserting this. I dont know what kind of logic they teach in philosophy class, but once you start inputting values for X, you can see(or at least i can) how illogical this template of yours is.

You say on one hand that physicists know that applying heat(X), to metal, causes it to expand(Y), but on the other hand you are saying that Y can be anything. Seems like you are contradicting yourself here.

If we substitute beheadings for X, then beheadings can cause anything? Do you actually believe this formula of yours? By my definition of logic, it is illogical(I think Spock would agree).

Hume has a different view, as do I....but my differences in Humes view may deal with the sematics of "conceivable effects".

Zetetic11235

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 11:52 am
@Ultracrepidarian,
Ultracrepidarian;70770 wrote:
What about - Something that never turns into a frog can cause itself to turn into a frog? So, for example my toaster will never turn itself into a frog. Saying that it might is self-contradictory given the meaning of X & Y.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

or I can cause/draw a four-angled triangle.

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

Trying to to draw a four-sided triangle will always result in disappointment.
Trying to cause a toaster to morph into a puppet named Kermit will never happen

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

At least, not by clicking your heels together, patting your head, and reciting "Mary had a Little Lamb, little lamb, little lamb..."

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

Okay, maybe you could if you had a magic wand or some piece of technology from some super civilization that has developed a keen appreciation of frog/kitchen appliance related pranks. But that should go without saying. I'm saying we only have to work with what we have on our persons now. A rubberband, a paper clip, and a stick of gum. You have to go MacGyver on this toaster.

This post doesn't makes sense, what is your point? That if you assume a tautology then it is a tautology? If you claim that a toaster never can 'turn into'(whatever that entails) a frog, you are asserting an unknown as true and deriving a tautology based on possibly fallacious axioms. If you claim that a toaster never has turned into a frog, you are making an accurate claim, but it has no bearing on the logical possibility that it could.

Ultracrepidarian

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 07:05 pm
@Zetetic11235,
No, you're right. A frog can turn into a toaster (whatever that means indeed). Just because it has not happened yet does not mean anything necessarily. I mean, after all, I have not yet become older than I am now (that doesn't mean it will never happen!), so you see the past has no logical, necessary, implications on the future.

Frogs can turn into toasters. But what about blenders turning into giraffes. Can this ever happen or is it fair to say that blenders will never, by working on the liquefy setting, produce adult giraffes that have a propensity for cheating at certain poker games? Of course, provided we never have a blender-making factory become contaminated with extradimensional mutagens. That does go without saying. Never. assuming giraffes never degenerate into lying, drinking, using their long necks to look at your cards, cigar-smoking, horse-stealing, no good, low down ...So-and-So's.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 07:26 pm
@Ultracrepidarian,
Ultracrepidarian;70919 wrote:
No, you're right. A frog can turn into a toaster (whatever that means indeed). Just because it has not happened yet does not mean anything necessarily. I mean, after all, I have not yet become older than I am now (that doesn't mean it will never happen!), so you see the past has no logical, necessary, implications on the future.

Frogs can turn into toasters. But what about blenders turning into giraffes. Can this ever happen or is it fair to say that blenders will never, by working on the liquefy setting, produce adult giraffes that have a propensity for cheating at certain poker games? Of course, provided we never have a blender-making factory become contaminated with extradimensional mutagens. That does go without saying. Never. assuming giraffes never degenerate into lying, drinking, using their long necks to look at your cards, cigar-smoking, horse-stealing, no good, low down ...So-and-So's.

Oh. I am sure that blenders will never turn into giraffes. But that is beside the point. The question is whether it is logically possible that they should. And, the answer to that seems to be, yes.

Ultracrepidarian

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 07:34 pm
@kennethamy,
In other words - my words - you don't think it is possible, but you think it is logically possible. Is that twisting your words? It does not make sense to me.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Some philosophers argue it is not logically possible to draw a triangle so that the sum of it's angles equal 94 degrees. Would you agree or disagree with them?

Neil D

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:10 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Probably a final note on this thread for me. For what its worth:

The original question "What's the difference between causation and correlation?"

My answer is its undefined as it relates to inaminate objects because we dont completely understand the framework in which these cause and effect events occur. Correlation is just the same action producing the same effect over and over, or in a weak correlation like the clock example where the two events can stand independently of one another.

Cause on the other hand requires a explanation of the exact circumstance within the cause that produces the effect, since we dont understand the universe at a micro, or macro level. It would be arbitrary to claim precisely, the workings within it.

As cause and effect relates to animate objects as in the beheading example. I feel more connected to this type of cause and effect, as the cause seems less obscure to me, but this appears to be subjective.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:23 pm
@Ultracrepidarian,
Ultracrepidarian;70929 wrote:
In other words - my words - you don't think it is possible, but you think it is logically possible. Is that twisting your words? It does not make sense to me.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Some philosophers argue it is not logically possible to draw a triangle so that the sum of it's angles equal 94 degrees. Would you agree or disagree with them?

It should, since there are several senses of the term, "possible". One is, "logically possible" which just means that it is not self-contradictory like, for instance, a four-sided triangle, because that would be a three sided figure with four sides. Which is logically impossible. But there is a different sense of "possible", namely physically possible. It is physically possible to go to the Moon, but it is not physically possible to attain a velocity greater than that of light. That means that it is inconsistent with the laws of nature for something to attain a velocity greater than that of light. But that is not logically impossible, since it is not self-contradictory for anything to attain a velocity greater than that of light, although it is logically possible since it is not self-contradictory. So, what is logically possible need not be physically possible, but what is physically possible must be logically possible.

I hope this helps.

P.S. I agree with them, since the sum of the angles of a plane triangle must equal the sum of two straight angles.

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Neil;70938 wrote:
Probably a final note on this thread for me. For what its worth:

The original question "What's the difference between causation and correlation?"

My answer is its undefined as it relates to inaminate objects because we dont completely understand the framework in which these cause and effect events occur. Correlation is just the same action producing the same effect over and over, or in a weak correlation like the clock example where the two events can stand independently of one another.

Cause on the other hand requires a explanation of the exact circumstance within the cause that produces the effect, since we dont understand the universe at a micro, or macro level. It would be arbitrary to claim precisely, the workings within it.

As cause and effect relates to animate objects as in the beheading example. I feel more connected to this type of cause and effect, as the cause seems less obscure to me, but this appears to be subjective.

You think it is "subjective" that beheading will cause death? That means you only think it will. You really don't know that it will? I wonder why?

Ultracrepidarian

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:35 pm
@Neil D,
I agree tentatively. We really don't know anything exactly about how switches, electrical wiring, electricity, or light bulbs work on either macro or micro levels, so it is difficult to talk of a switch causing a bulb to light up.

Much like beheading, I feel like I have a personal knowledge of kitchen appliances and certain kinds of funny animals whether they be stuffed with fluffy stuff, or just raw love and guts. I only think kitchen appliances won't turn into dogs that wear visors under soft ceiling lights, that hang on my wall; It is subjective. Just so, a light bulb is not necessarily caused by a switch which turns it on. It is a correlation. Different things might happen. It may come on without my having touched the switch. It may come on when I touch the swtich, but not because I did so. I might flip the switch one day whereupon it turns into a stick of cotton candy. Who knows? The future and the past are sequenced, but there are no consequences. So to speak.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Why is the 94 degree triangle self-contradictory?

Don't get me wrong. It is contradictory. It is physically impossible.
Why is it "self-contradictory" in a way that toaster that turns into a frog is not?
It contradicts the nature of a toaster to turn into a frog. It contradicts the nature of a triangle to have 63 degrees, in sum. I don't see a difference. One is a geometrical figure with angles and other properties. One is kitchen appliance.

Are you thinking of contradictions by definition? I'll agree that if a triangle is defined as a polygon with exactly three sides, then it is plain that a four sided triangle is contradictory, but it is just as impossible (logically) to have a triangle turn into a frog. Polygons don't turn into frogs. It might be easier to say so by definition.

memester

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 10:50 pm
@Neil D,
Neil;70201 wrote:
I would agree, but from what ive observed with this thread, and information elsewhere. Its just a strong correlation/practical cause and not an absolute cause.

There are many things that are not in my experience, where i feel 100% confident i could predict the outcome. The beheading example is one. I've never tried to breathe under water, but i know doing so would cause water to enter my lungs and i would drown. Ive never jumped out of an airplane without a parachute, but i know in doing so, the impact with the ground would kill me.

The above seem to be absolute causes, but are really strong correlationgs/practical causes. The beheading example also seems a stronger correlation than last example.
I believe that you are causing a problem through inserting "Absolute" or any other modifier, in front of "Cause", without good justification for it.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 09:02 am
@memester,
memester;70973 wrote:
I believe that you are causing a problem through inserting "Absolute" or any other modifier, in front of "Cause", without good justification for it.

And without telling us what you mean by it.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Ultracrepidarian;70947 wrote:
I agree tentatively. We really don't know anything exactly about how switches, electrical wiring, electricity, or light bulbs work on either macro or micro levels, so it is difficult to talk of a switch causing a bulb to light up.

Much like beheading, I feel like I have a personal knowledge of kitchen appliances and certain kinds of funny animals whether they be stuffed with fluffy stuff, or just raw love and guts. I only think kitchen appliances won't turn into dogs that wear visors under soft ceiling lights, that hang on my wall; It is subjective. Just so, a light bulb is not necessarily caused by a switch which turns it on. It is a correlation. Different things might happen. It may come on without my having touched the switch. It may come on when I touch the swtich, but not because I did so. I might flip the switch one day whereupon it turns into a stick of cotton candy. Who knows? The future and the past are sequenced, but there are no consequences. So to speak.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Why is the 94 degree triangle self-contradictory?

Don't get me wrong. It is contradictory. It is physically impossible.
Why is it "self-contradictory" in a way that toaster that turns into a frog is not?
It contradicts the nature of a toaster to turn into a frog. It contradicts the nature of a triangle to have 63 degrees, in sum. I don't see a difference. One is a geometrical figure with angles and other properties. One is kitchen appliance.

Are you thinking of contradictions by definition? I'll agree that if a triangle is defined as a polygon with exactly three sides, then it is plain that a four sided triangle is contradictory, but it is just as impossible (logically) to have a triangle turn into a frog. Polygons don't turn into frogs. It might be easier to say so by definition.

Because it is a necessary truth that the sum of the degrees of plane triangles are 180 degrees, and it is logically impossible for a figure to have both 94 degrees, and 180 degrees. And what is logically impossible is self-contradictory.

Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 09:51 am
@Ultracrepidarian,

Are you thinking of contradictions by definition? I'll agree that if a triangle is defined as a polygon with exactly three sides, then it is plain that a four sided triangle is contradictory

Now you're starting to get it!

but it is just as impossible (logically) to have a triangle turn into a frog. Polygons don't turn into frogs.

This line of reasoning works because triangles have a logical form that is totally known(since it is defined by us humans), and it does not include the possibility of turning into a frog, since a triangle is really just syntax. There is no such thing as a platonic solid as far as physical objects go, the syntax can only be approximated by a visual representation, but since it requires total smoothness, and particles are discrete, it has no true physical representation.

When we compare two objects that are known only empirically, then we have a different problem. There is no all-encompassing set of syntactic descriptors to show us what a frog can logically do, only what we have inductively perceived about the nature of the frog. So saying that a frog cannot become a giraffe is likely true, but unverifiably so. However, a similar thing is true of the fact that it rained where I live yesterday. I can't go back and verify it empirically, yet I can render it highly probable. A.J. Ayer had a suggestion for this sort of thing, claiming it to be weakly verifiable(not directly verifiable, but highly probable). Further, in the case of the frog becoming a giraffe, we could simply apply Ockham's Razor since the possibility has never made itself manifest.

ACB

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:42 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Thus it is logically possible (though physically impossible) for a toaster to turn into a frog, but logically impossible for a triangle to do so.

Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:04 pm
@ACB,
ACB;71195 wrote:
Thus it is logically possible for a toaster to turn into a frog, but logically impossible for a triangle to do so.

True

ACB;71195 wrote:
(though physically impossible)

I don't know if this is true, but I would say that it is parsimonious to assume it to be so.

Satan phil

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:28 pm
@Satan phil,
How do we know what is physically possible? How do we know something can't be done?

Norman Swartz wrote:
I doubt that 'trying and failing' will do the trick. After all, many times we try to do something, fail at it, and yet - for whatever reasons - do not conclude "I can't do it." (It happened to me recently. I was trying to install a new pump on a dishwasher and was having no success, indeed I was failing miserably. I stopped for a while, tried again, and succeeded.) I am absolutely convinced that there is no phenomenological, introspective, felt (call it what you will) difference whatsoever between failing to do something which is possible (e.g. installing a dishwasher pump) and failing to do something which necessitarians call 'nomically impossible', e.g. flapping my arms and flying.

What do I feel when I find that I repeatedly fail to do something? Disappointment, remorse, anger, sadness, annoyance, irritability, fury, etc. Do I experience (physical or nomological) impossibility? Not that I can tell. I would not know how to recognize it if I did. I can experience that I have not done what I wanted; that I have tried especially hard; etc. But I do not see that I have experienced that I cannot do it. I may say, "I can't do it." But I have not experienced anything more than failure.

Ultracrepidarian

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 05:00 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;71073 wrote:

This line of reasoning works because triangles have a logical form that is totally known(since it is defined by us humans), and it does not include the possibility of turning into a frog, since a triangle is really just syntax. There is no such thing as a platonic solid as far as physical objects go, the syntax can only be approximated by a visual representation, but since it requires total smoothness, and particles are discrete, it has no true physical representation.

Frogs have logical forms too! We've given frogs definitions! I care for my frogs just as much, if not more, than my triangles. The definition of frog also does not include the possibility of it turning into a triangle, hippopotamus, or several ancient castles, since a frog is really just syntax.

Time out! A triangle is really just syntax? I'd like to believe you, I really would. A triangle is really just something. I'm sure of it. But syntax? This is where I lost you. There is no such thing as a platonic frog as far as physical frogs go either, but I wasn't going to bring it up, because the notion of platonic (perfection) anything makes me socially uncomfortable. The point I make is triangles that we imagine are no more perfectly triangular than real triangular shapes. More Englishly said, the lines in our head are (so far as I tell) no more perfectly straight than those on a piece of paper.

Zetetic11235;71073 wrote:

When we compare two objects that are known only empirically, then we have a different problem. There is no all-encompassing set of syntactic descriptors to show us what a frog can logically do, only what we have inductively perceived about the nature of the frog. So saying that a frog cannot become a giraffe is likely true, but unverifiably so. However, a similar thing is true of the fact that it rained where I live yesterday. I can't go back and verify it empirically, yet I can render it highly probable. A.J. Ayer had a suggestion for this sort of thing, claiming it to be weakly verifiable(not directly verifiable, but highly probable). Further, in the case of the frog becoming a giraffe, we could simply apply Ockham's Razor since the possibility has never made itself manifest.

Triangles are known in a non-empirical fashion. I disagree. This is because you can do math problems in your head? I can take a picture of the Eiffel Tower, go home and subject it to the finest souvenir protractors in all of France. I wouldn't say I come by the shape of the tower non-empirically because I can visualize it.

There is no all-encompassing set of syntactic descriptors to show us what a frog can logically do, here we agree. Syntactic descriptors travel in packs, not all-encompassing sets, and while they are effective communicators, the rates at which they are charge for biology lessons are prohibitive and if you actually want to get in the tank with the frogs, it costs extra.

I do disagree, but I also do agree.

Saying it is impossible for a giraffe to turn into a frog is unverifiable, much like it is impossible to determine whether or not it rained yesterday. The weather channel is unreliable. Most history books about yesterday aren't written yet and when they are, they aren't likely to cover yesterday's weather unless yesterday just happened to be the day of an election or something. Was it? Supposing it was, you can't trust the authorities because who ever won the election can just tell the writers to write what he wants them to write. (Written) (h)istory is written by the writers, right? Giraffes don't even have weather reports, so if one them becomes a frog, we'd have to rely heavily on archeological evidence to prove it. Oh well, maybe someday when we understand more about the rain.

ACB

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 05:55 pm
@Ultracrepidarian,
Ultracrepidarian;71213 wrote:
The definition of frog also does not include the possibility of it turning into a......hippopotamus, or several ancient castles.

Yes it does. A frog is defined by its present, not future, nature. So if it magically turned into a hippopotamus, it would still have been a frog.

Quote:
The point I make is triangles that we imagine are no more perfectly triangular than real triangular shapes. More Englishly said, the lines in our head are (so far as I tell) no more perfectly straight than those on a piece of paper.

In order to imagine imperfect triangles, we would have to specifically imagine the imperfections. But that would require extra effort, for no purpose. So we don't bother. In a sense, therefore, the lines in our head are perfectly straight, because we prefer to keep things simple.

Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:11 pm
@Ultracrepidarian,
Frogs have logical forms too! We've given frogs definitions! I care for my frogs just as much, if not more, than my triangles. The definition of frog also does not include the possibility of it turning into a triangle, hippopotamus, or several ancient castles, since a frog is really just syntax.

Time out! A triangle is really just syntax? I'd like to believe you, I really would. A triangle is really just something. I'm sure of it. But syntax? This is where I lost you.

It is painfully obvious that you are having a great deal of difficulty figuring out where I am coming from. I'll try to bring you up to speed, but your tendency for (seemingly smug) sarcasm makes me want to just ignore you.

In mathematics, we have definitions that cover every aspect of some logical object(in fact, the definition along with the logical results of that definition IS the logical object). The triangle is a logical object that is abstracted inductively from physical objects. There are no perfect triangles found in nature, the geometric notion of the triangle is purely logical. It can be approximated physically, but it is still an approximation. This extends to all of the platonic solids as well. For instance, if I built a tetrahedron out of a hard material, it would not be a true geometric tetrahedron. It would have surface imperfections, it would have molecular holes in it, it would be bumpy if we looked at a magnification of its surface. It would not perfectly fit the geometric definition of a tetrahedron, and thus it would not perfectly fit the laws derived from that concept. Some approximations might be better than others, so the laws would be more accurate, but they would not fit perfectly.

Now, the concept of the frog that we have is not necessarily complete, because the concept of the frog can only approximate the reality of the frog. This seems to be an inversion of the logic applied above; but it is in fact not. When we try to take a triangle, a geometric object, and try to make one out of some material, we are in fact, doing the reverse of what we do when we take a real object, say a frog, and try to make a purely logical/linguistic representation or mental ideal out of it. Our definition can only approximate what a frog really is. This is why a description can be interpreted different ways by different people, it is an approximation and we fill in the details with our past experience.

So you see, our definition of a frog in no way determines what a frog could do, but rather, what a frog does, determines our definition of it. Get it?

Triangles are known in a non-empirical fashion. I disagree.

Hopefully you better understand why it doesn't make sense to disagree with that claim now.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 01:19:31