One interesting fact

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:00 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;156994 wrote:
Yes I have all the time and energy in the world just to give the little mind of yours all the growth it will ever need forever.

That's great to hear platorepublic! You had mentioned that you were a chemistry major, are there any interesting facts you can tell us from what I suppose is you favorite subject?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:19 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;157045 wrote:
That's great to hear platorepublic! You had mentioned that you were a chemistry major, are there any interesting facts you can tell us from what I suppose is you favorite subject?

Please you two, get a room.

ughaibu

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 08:23 am
@VideCorSpoon,
are there any interesting facts you can tell us from what I suppose is you favorite subject?
Chemotaxis | Latest News | Chemical & Engineering News
YouTube - Belousov-Zhabotinsky Reaction

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 08:50 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;157054 wrote:
Please you two, get a room.

Don't worry Kennethamy, much like platorepublic, I regard both of you on equal footing for the incredible amount of insight and relevancy you put into each and every post I have read from both of you. Honestly, I think the forum would be at a severe loss if even one of you choose to leave.

platorepublic

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 09:18 am
@VideCorSpoon,

We should get a room.

But before we do that, I find the chemical aspects of biosynthesis in animals and plants most interesting.

Biosynthesis relative to artificial man-made reactions.

Nature uses simple building blocks like acetyl-CoA or dimethylallyl diphosphate and make many many MANY biological active compounds in our bodies, and in fact, they are simple reaction pathways (so one shouldn't be boggled if you are a chemist) - though these reactions are so special because they are done in mild conditions (body temperature) whereas if they are done in labs, we would require heat and a lot of time for completion of reaction.

Why? Nature has evolved to create some ingenious catalysts (lol, this time I mean it) and enzymes that allow molecules to sit in pockets of proteins and react at the right positions.

I can't tell you everything in this simple post.

We have to get a room Smile

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 09:37 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;157098 wrote:
We should get a room.

But before we do that, I find the chemical aspects of biosynthesis in animals and plants most interesting.

Biosynthesis relative to artificial man-made reactions.

Nature uses simple building blocks like acetyl-CoA or dimethylallyl diphosphate and make many many MANY biological active compounds in our bodies, and in fact, they are simple reaction pathways (so one shouldn't be boggled if you are a chemist) - though these reactions are so special because they are done in mild conditions (body temperature) whereas if they are done in labs, we would require heat and a lot of time for completion of reaction.

Why? Nature has evolved to create some ingenious catalysts (lol, this time I mean it) and enzymes that allow molecules to sit in pockets of proteins and react at the right positions.

I can't tell you everything in this simple post.

We have to get a room Smile

How interesting that you would describe molecules like Acetyl-CoA as a "building block" rather than the largely metabolic molecule that it is. This must be using your rather unique and alternate use of the word catalyst. And are they (ie. Acetyl-CoA, etc) simple reactionary pathways? Funny how many learn that Acetyl-CoA is an end product of the PD reaction rather than the "pathway" itself. But still, a very interesting alternate way to look at a basic chemic fact. I'm also very interested in how nature evolved (in itself) to created ingenious catalysts. This must be a very complex thing. And perhaps the most shocking fact of all, that molecules sit in pockets of proteins (I mean, wow considering the comparative scales). Very interesting stuff, and although there are quite a few gaps here and there, of course we could not expect a lot from your simple post. Great fact!

platorepublic

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 09:43 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;157108 wrote:
How interesting that you would describe molecules like Acetyl-CoA as a "building block" rather than the largely metabolic molecule that it is. This must be using your rather unique and alternate use of the word catalyst. And are they (ie. Acetyl-CoA, etc) simple reactionary pathways? Funny how many learn that Acetyl-CoA is an end product of the PD reaction rather than the "pathway" itself. But still, a very interesting alternate way to look at a basic chemic fact. I'm also very interested in how nature evolved (in itself) to created ingenious catalysts. This must be a very complex thing. And perhaps the most shocking fact of all, that molecules sit in pockets of proteins (I mean, wow considering the comparative scales). Very interesting stuff, and although there are quite a few gaps here and there, of course we could not expect a lot from your simple post. Great fact!

Acetyl-CoA is a building block as well as a metabolic molecule.

They are simple reaction pathways - well for chemists at least. Biochemists always try to exaggerate the complexity - when what Nature does best is simplicity.

I could definitely tell you have not touched chemistry in your whole life, so you have a lot to learn. (Like seriously, stop trying to make a fool of yourself.)

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 09:58 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;157110 wrote:
Acetyl-CoA is a building block as well as a metabolic molecule.

They are simple reaction pathways - well for chemists at least. Biochemists always try to exaggerate the complexity - when what Nature does best is simplicity.

I could definitely tell you have not touched chemistry in your whole life, so you have a lot to learn. (Like seriously, stop trying to make a fool of yourself.)

LOL! Honestly, I have to thank you for this small side conversation, it has really made my morning a lot more enjoyable. I really wish Aedes were still here to see this, he would get a kick out of the Acetyl-CoA being a building block and a metabolic molecule point. This has been most enjoyably diverting.

ughaibu

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:41 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;157113 wrote:
I really wish Aedes were still here to see this,
What do you mean?

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 04:42 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;157256 wrote:
What do you mean?

Aedes is another mod here on the forum and he would be considered the unquestionable source of all things science-y here on the forum. He has not logged on for a while, so I hope he starts contributing here again. LOL!, actually looking at it again, it looks as if I made him sound as if he were dead of something! The legend begins! LOL!

ughaibu

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 04:50 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Deckard

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 05:10 pm
@ughaibu,
Sorry to hear about Aedes. I didn't know him that well really but its still a bummer.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 05:36 pm
@Deckard,
In an ode to Aedes, here is a fitting eugoogooolie "If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident." LOL! Just to make sure everyone is aware of this, he just hasn't logged on in a while.

jeeprs

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 05:41 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
I have noticed Aedes hasn't been around since Feb, but had guessed that he is busy, he often mentioned how much he had to do.

Deckard

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:10 pm
@jeeprs,
I suppose someone should knock on wood. Knock! Knock!

sometime sun

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:26 pm
@Deckard,
How can we get them back?
How can we keep the people we have?
How can we encourage new members?

(I love saying 'we' more than me.)

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:48 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;157323 wrote:
How can we get them back?

Quality
How can we keep the people we have?

Quality
How can we encourage new members?

Quality

sometime sun

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:59 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;157338 wrote:
Quality

Quality

Quality

Wish i could oblige more than i do.

But i am TRYING to do and be better.

How about inequality?

platorepublic

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 01:50 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;157280 wrote:
Aedes is another mod here on the forum and he would be considered the unquestionable source of all things science-y here on the forum. He has not logged on for a while, so I hope he starts contributing here again. LOL!, actually looking at it again, it looks as if I made him sound as if he were dead of something! The legend begins! LOL!

I could replace him. But I don't know - I see very little science in this forum anyway - oh, if they were meant to be science, sorry!

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 07:00 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;157450 wrote:
I could replace him. But I don't know - I see very little science in this forum anyway - oh, if they were meant to be science, sorry!

That is definitely an excellent goal to shoot for. Quality is something the forum is always in need of.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:47:28