1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » One interesting fact

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 05:04 pm

Wisdom Seeker

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 08:18 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
let me give you an interesting fact: that everything seems impossible in the past are now made real in present time, far more better than they expected.

another interesting fact: that the polar bears and penguins did not live in the same place, the other is in north pole while the other is in the south pole.

Deckard

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:00 pm
@Wisdom Seeker,
There's Revelations 22:16 where Jesus calls himself the Morning Star which would be "Lucifer" in original Greek.

Jebediah

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:43 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
I think the fact that you can kill someone by verbally hexing them is interesting. Cases where someone from a society where they believe in such things eats a "forbidden" animal without knowing it, and when they are told what they have done a few days later, they fall ill and die. Essentially a psychosomatic death due to a powerful belief.

Deckard

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:59 pm
@Jebediah,
Cervantes and Shakespeare died on the same day. April 23, 1616.

ughaibu

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 10:53 pm
@Wisdom Seeker,
Wisdom Seeker;155082 wrote:
polar bears and penguins did not live in the same place, the other is in north pole while the other is in the south pole.
Penguins live as far north as the equator.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 11:20 pm
@ughaibu,
Another little factoid, George Washington (as in first president of the united states), was almost killed by a bolt of lightning. Mary Ball Washington, pregnant with the future president, attended a dinner party at a local family's home and sat a seat away from the main stone fireplace. All of the sudden, a bolt of lightning exploded down the chimney and electrocuted a girl sitting nearer to the fireplace than Mary, killing her instantly. It was said that the girl's fork and knife were fused together. True story.

Wisdom Seeker;155082 wrote:
let me give you an interesting fact: that everything seems impossible in the past are now made real in present time, far more better than they expected.

That's good to know... I had a little mini freak-out for a second there. But worry not... I am back.

Deckard

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 12:28 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Robot is the Czech word for slave labor.

sometime sun

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 01:51 am
@Deckard,
The only man made object that can be seen form space is this thing
Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Deckard

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 01:58 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;155165 wrote:
The only man made object that can be seen form space is this thing
Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The G-Patch is of course horrible and disgusting but it's on my bucket list to visit it someday.

sometime sun

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 02:03 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;155100 wrote:
There's Revelations 22:16 where Jesus calls himself the Morning Star which would be "Lucifer" in original Greek.

I thought Lucifer was 'son of morning'.
O Lucifer "son of the morning"

Emil

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 02:32 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Relationships with distant cousins result in more children then relationships with strangers.

Deckard

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 03:18 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;155168 wrote:
I thought Lucifer was 'son of morning'.
O Lucifer "son of the morning"

Thanks, so I looked it up and it turns out that "Lucifer" is Latin and only indirectly Greek. Lucifer means "light bringer" rather than Morning Star and I knew that already. Venus at dawn is called "the light bringer" because it precedes the Sun. In any case, and in any Mediterranean language of the time Morning Star, light bringer et al means the same thing.

Wikipedia as usual, has great information

Lucifer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's really a bit of a mess. Is Venus at Dawn bad or good?

Add to this a general distrust of "wandering stars" (what we now call planets) in Jude 1:13 and also in the book of Enoch and I think what we are really looking at is a conflict of opinion about whether or not Venus at Dawn is to be trusted.

Jude is attributed to James, the brother of Jesus as is the book of James. Both of these books are distinctly Hebrew-centric when compared to the rest of the New Testament. The Gospels are like advertisements to all who "have ears to hear" and the Gospel of John is heavily influenced by Hellenistic (i.e. not Hebraic) thought and mysticism. Here we must remember that Hebrew culture had been in crisis because of the growing infiltration of Greek culture ever since Alexander the Great if not before.

Of course Paul explicitly opened up the whole project of salvation to the Gentiles.

Point being that Jude and James are closer to the Old Testament (and Enoch should be classed noncanonical Old Testament literature) than the rest of the New Testament is.

So, though we probably should not make too much of this, it seems that Venus at Dawn is a definite point of contention between the Old and the New. The Old uniformly condemns Venus at Dawn while the New, with the possible exception of Jude 1:13, glorifies it.

I'm guessing Milton new this.

sometime sun

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 03:33 am
@Deckard,
Deckard what a brilliant responce. Thank you very much.

jeeprs

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 03:45 am
@VideCorSpoon,
water is one of the only liquids that expands when it freezes. If it didn't, life-as-we-know-it would not have evolved in the way that it has.

Deckard

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 04:16 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;155185 wrote:
water is one of the only liquids that expands when it freezes. If it didn't, life-as-we-know-it would not have evolved in the way that it has.

This is one crazy fact. Water expands when frozen so ice floats. Thus we have lakes frozen over but since the cold rises with the floating ice, there is still relatively warm water for the fish to swim around in underneath insulated from the cold. This is a unique quality of H2O. Every other molecule doesn't expand when frozen, doesn't float, and so would not provide habitat for the fish in winter. There is some physics or chemistry at the molecular level that causes this but don't ask me to explain it right now.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:32 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;155114 wrote:
I think the fact that you can kill someone by verbally hexing them is interesting. Cases where someone from a society where they believe in such things eats a "forbidden" animal without knowing it, and when they are told what they have done a few days later, they fall ill and die. Essentially a psychosomatic death due to a powerful belief.

That is not so different from cases when people unknown to them eat insects or other disgusting things, but when told that is what they ate become sick.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 09:47 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;155190 wrote:
This is one crazy fact. Water expands when frozen so ice floats. Thus we have lakes frozen over but since the cold rises with the floating ice, there is still relatively warm water for the fish to swim around in underneath insulated from the cold. This is a unique quality of H2O. Every other molecule doesn't expand when frozen, doesn't float, and so would not provide habitat for the fish in winter. There is some physics or chemistry at the molecular level that causes this but don't ask me to explain it right now.

And not to go too nerd on everyone and exacerbate your interesting point, water is one of the few octet inorganic compounds that only uses 5-10% of the strength of covalent bonds. In the grander scheme of things, a little less, and life would not be as we know it. Way-to-go nature... have us dangle even more on the edge of an already precarious cliff.

And in another interesting factoid about nature the the precarious species we call man, apparently there is a huge asteroid on a trajectory towards earth set to come very very near (or even hit) in the year 2036 (first pass will be in 2029). The asteroid is aptly named Apophis (an Egyptian god of death...which incidentally the perilous nature of the asteroid underlines why it was not named "bunny" or "fluffy"). Anyway,this "country buster" is speculated to hit earth if it threads a "key hole" or more specifically an area where it is relatively certain that it will come around again and hit earth 7 years later. And if you watch the video, the first pass of the asteroid is supposed to pass on April 13th... a Friday. LOL! Oh... the Asteroid has fallen under the careful eye of the Russian space agency. Awesome. Incidentally, funding has been dramatically cut for the US space agency NASA. LOL! Health-care in exchange for existence.... better go get my eyes checked out since this should be one helluva show.

Watch this video of Neil DeGrasse Tyson explain the neat facts about it. Seriously, the guy is really funny, but this is really quite troubling in another way though.

YouTube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson - Death By Giant Meteor

Amperage

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 10:22 am
@VideCorSpoon,
jeeprs;155185 wrote:
it's also one of the few substances whose solid form actually floats in its liquid form

I have 2 facts

First, this may not be anything ''new'' but I found it both funny and cool. Anyways, it happened during a particular time when Winston Churchill was speaking in Parliament. Apparently he was slurring his speech which prompted a lady to call out to him saying, "Sir, you are drunk!". To which Churchill simply replied, "Madame that may be true, but in the morning I shall be sober whereas you will still be ugly". Classic!

Second, is about my favorite football player of all time, Jerry Rice. Jerry Rice actually didn't start playing football until his junior year in HS and only did so because he got caught attempting to ditch class by the principal, and as he did, he 'sprinted' away. Apparently this impressed the principal, who obviously recognized him, and he encouraged Jerry to try out for the football team. The rest as they say....is history. So who says nothing good can come from ditching class? Smile

platorepublic

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 11:33 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;155185 wrote:

Oh God, that is not the only special property water has that makes it so special!

First of all, its abundance on Earth.

Then, its ability to catalyse chemical reactions in physiological conditions. Its ability to H-bond.

etc etc Oh God, this is turning into a horrible newbie Science forum.

Let's keep this a philosophy forum guys. We are turning stupid in this thread.

Razz

Oh yeah. Lentils are very very good for you, and its major export is Canada! Yay! And uh, if you eat it with rice, you get ALL the essential amino acids in a good ratio!

LENTILS + RICE = very very good diet

Of course supplement it with other foods, but the above is a killer combo already.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » One interesting fact
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 05:36:06