One interesting fact

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 02:33 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;155242 wrote:
Oh God, that is not the only special property water has that makes it so special!

First of all, its abundance on Earth.

Then, its ability to catalyse chemical reactions in physiological conditions. Its ability to H-bond.

etc etc Oh God, this is turning into a horrible newbie Science forum.

Let's keep this a philosophy forum guys. We are turning stupid in this thread.

Razz

Oh yeah. Lentils are very very good for you, and its major export is Canada! Yay! And uh, if you eat it with rice, you get ALL the essential amino acids in a good ratio!

LENTILS + RICE = very very good diet

Of course supplement it with other foods, but the above is a killer combo already.

Oh man, Platorepublic, you are harsh considering this is a general discussion thread.

As to water and abundance, I don't think it would be water so much as the oxygen as an "abundance" factor since it is oxygen that is the most abundant element. Maybe you were thinking of abundant human resources. Also, water is not a catalyst. Water does not function as an accelerant in reactions nor does it return to its initial state after a given reaction. If anything, it would be a Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4). Also, a water molecule's ability to "h-bond" is a factor of waters electromagnetic properties. In an interesting factoid, it is because of this that water has cohesive qualities and aides in vertical feed for plants, etc. Yay for highschool chemistry!

But honestly, it's not so much a newbie science forum as much as a bunch of people that are interested (and indeed proficient) in a number of things coming together to abstractly talk about their interests. I see nothing stupid about this.

Also, lentils are awesome. Although I would mention that lentils do not contain all 20 essential amino acids, since they lack methionine and cystine (sulfuric subcats).

platorepublic

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 03:11 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;155289 wrote:
Oh man, Platorepublic, you are harsh considering this is a general discussion thread.

As to water and abundance, I don't think it would be water so much as the oxygen as an "abundance" factor since it is oxygen that is the most abundant element. Maybe you were thinking of abundant human resources. Also, water is not a catalyst. Water does not function as an accelerant in reactions nor does it return to its initial state after a given reaction. If anything, it would be a Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4). Also, a water molecule's ability to "h-bond" is a factor of waters electromagnetic properties. In an interesting factoid, it is because of this that water has cohesive qualities and aides in vertical feed for plants, etc. Yay for highschool chemistry!

But honestly, it's not so much a newbie science forum as much as a bunch of people that are interested (and indeed proficient) in a number of things coming together to abstractly talk about their interests. I see nothing stupid about this.

Also, lentils are awesome. Although I would mention that lentils do not contain all 20 essential amino acids, since they lack methionine and cystine (sulfuric subcats).

Ok, I wasn't saying catalyst in the chemical sense! Get with the programme already!

Razz

And uh, that is exactly why I said you have to eat lentils with RICE! Did you read me properly?

jeeprs

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 04:16 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;155233 wrote:
it happened during a particular time when Winston Churchill was speaking in Parliament.

Actually I believe that particular incident happened in a railway carriage. My recollection is that Sir and Madame were seated opposite in the first class compartments. Churchill was rather more than tipsy. He was looking at M'Lady, seated opposite, and suddenly said 'By god, you are ugly' (which by all accounts was true incidentally.) A cold silence ensued. Then, with stiff upper lip, she said, 'Sir Winston, you are drunk!'. To which, as you say, he replied 'I am, Ma'am. But in the morning, I'll be sober.'

VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 04:18 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;155300 wrote:
Ok, I wasn't saying catalyst in the chemical sense! Get with the programme already!

Razz

And uh, that is exactly why I said you have to eat lentils with RICE! Did you read me properly?

LOL! I was unaware of there being any other use for the word catalyst than what the chemical function predicated, but sure, if it works for you than it works for me! Also, do you have

Deckard

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 09:42 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;155242 wrote:
Oh God, that is not the only special property water has that makes it so special!

First of all, its abundance on Earth.

Then, its ability to catalyse chemical reactions in physiological conditions. Its ability to H-bond.

etc etc Oh God, this is turning into a horrible newbie Science forum.

Let's keep this a philosophy forum guys. We are turning stupid in this thread.

Razz

Oh yeah. Lentils are very very good for you, and its major export is Canada! Yay! And uh, if you eat it with rice, you get ALL the essential amino acids in a good ratio!

LENTILS + RICE = very very good diet

Of course supplement it with other foods, but the above is a killer combo already.

Thinking about the amazing properties of H20 is not at all stupid and doesn't makes this a newbie science forum.

But you are somewhat redeemed for mentioning lentils. I bought me some lentils today so thanks for that. Already had the rice.

platorepublic

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 10:43 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;155532 wrote:
Thinking about the amazing properties of H20 is not at all stupid and doesn't makes this a newbie science forum.

But you are somewhat redeemed for mentioning lentils. I bought me some lentils today so thanks for that. Already had the rice.

Ok I take all I said about water back!

Ugh.

What I meant was, I am a chemistry major, and all the obvious facts you talked about water wasn't interesting. Even the facts about water on wikipedia isn't interesting.

The fact is, we know very little about the properties of water. And also, we know very little about many other chemicals too.

So don't state something stupid like "water is life water". It probably isn't as special as you think it is. It just so happens at Earth's pressure and temperature etc, water assumes these properties!!! Why do people overlook this fact!

Deckard

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 11:12 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;155540 wrote:

So don't state something stupid like "water is life water". It probably isn't as special as you think it is. It just so happens at Earth's pressure and temperature etc, water assumes these properties!!! Why do people overlook this fact!

Probably because they don't know that fact. It is hardly obvious. Can you explain further? You kind of have to now after being so condescending. If you don't we might all think you don't really know what you are talking about.

For example, on the Moon would ice still float? If an astronaut brought a huge bucket of water to the moon would the ice still float? It would probably freeze all the way through very quickly but would the ice rise to the surface during the brief time before it did?

platorepublic

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 08:37 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;155543 wrote:
Probably because they don't know that fact. It is hardly obvious. Can you explain further? You kind of have to now after being so condescending. If you don't we might all think you don't really know what you are talking about.

For example, on the Moon would ice still float? If an astronaut brought a huge bucket of water to the moon would the ice still float? It would probably freeze all the way through very quickly but would the ice rise to the surface during the brief time before it did?

I refuse to explain as I believe the audience would be without the knowledge university level thermodynamics/quantum mechanics, so it would be meaningless. And if you have studied it, it's so obvious that I don't need to explain either.

Soul Brother

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 01:57 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;155660 wrote:
I refuse to explain as I believe the audience would be without the knowledge university level thermodynamics/quantum mechanics, so it would be meaningless. And if you have studied it, it's so obvious that I don't need to explain either.

Which such facts regarding water require such an esoteric insight into thermodynamics and QM?

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:32 am
@Soul Brother,

jeeprs

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 03:29 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
We've been through a number of threads on this topic, which remains eternally fascinating to me, not least because the so-called 'fundamental particles' of which everything is thought to be composed are neither fundamental, nor particles.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 03:34 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Maine and Alaska are the only two states in the Union that have no poisonous snakes!

platorepublic

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 03:36 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;155016 wrote:

Sigh well, you know that I think everyone on this planet came from a select few. So the Chinese factoid was yawn-worthy.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 03:37 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
I can understand why Alaska, but what's so special about Maine....?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 03:40 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;156869 wrote:
I can understand why Alaska, but what's so special about Maine....?

I don't know. Maybe it is the same reason. To cold? Snakes need warmth. I wonder whether there are poisonous snakes in Canada. And, just as interesting, why poisonous snakes? There are snakes in Maine, just not poisonous ones.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 04:21 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;156867 wrote:
Sigh well, you know that I think everyone on this planet came from a select few. So the Chinese factoid was yawn-worthy.

LOL! I completely agree with you. I much prefer your rather insightful fact on lentils and rice and the new ways to use the word "catalyst." No lie, it really changed my perspective on stuff. Seriously, it was very interesting.

platorepublic

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 04:41 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;156892 wrote:
LOL! I completely agree with you. I much prefer your rather insightful fact on lentils and rice and the new ways to use the word "catalyst." No lie, it really changed my perspective on stuff. Seriously, it was very interesting.

I guess I can be generous sometimes.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 04:49 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;156895 wrote:
I guess I can be generous sometimes.

Sometimes? Platorepublic, I have yet to read a single post of yours that was nothing but the highest quality here on philosophy forum. You must be as generous as possible so that we can share in your very keen insight. That's why the forum is here, so that we can learn from others and enrich ourselves in the process. You posts are very much appreciated.

Soul Brother

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 06:31 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;155660 wrote:

Which such facts regarding water require such an esoteric insight into thermodynamics and QM?

platorepublic

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 12:12 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;156901 wrote:
Sometimes? Platorepublic, I have yet to read a single post of yours that was nothing but the highest quality here on philosophy forum. You must be as generous as possible so that we can share in your very keen insight. That's why the forum is here, so that we can learn from others and enrich ourselves in the process. You posts are very much appreciated.

Yes I have all the time and energy in the world just to give the little mind of yours all the growth it will ever need forever.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:25:55