Purge the fools, please!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:19 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;131574 wrote:

I come from a life where people lose millions of money because of poor ideas, where people die because of idiocy. Here in this forum, there are no dire consequenses of idiocy, of being a fool ..being unthoughtful. That may be the reason why so many of you don't really realize what I'm talking about.

I understand what you are saying. But one could argue that a lack of critical thinking is to blame for much of human suffering. What if thought is hard work? What if intellectual development is a slow process? What if some thinkers are above our heads until we have read and more importantly understood other thinkers?

If doubt is the name of the game, then let's doubt our doubt as well. No one just out and says "let's crush free speech for the fun of it!." No. They always have "good" reasons.

HexHammer

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 07:28 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;131631 wrote:
I understand what you are saying. But one could argue that a lack of critical thinking is to blame for much of human suffering. What if thought is hard work? What if intellectual development is a slow process? What if some thinkers are above our heads until we have read and more importantly understood other thinkers?

If doubt is the name of the game, then let's doubt our doubt as well. No one just out and says "let's crush free speech for the fun of it!." No. They always have "good" reasons.
Laughing

..uhmmm

Please don't tell me you are actually trying to be serious?

sometime sun

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:05 pm
@HexHammer,
Perhaps an 'insult gallery' where all those who become members open them selves to what ever the wind flatulates at them.
I would encourage this because there are obviously needs not being met.
I wonder where all the constructive critsism is.
You cant complain if you dont try to fix where the problem is.
You cant call someone a fool and not at least atempt to show an alternative.
Would you be by joining this 'insult gallery' a fool or a genius?

Insults can be wonderfull and fun things;

'The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawers.' King Henry VI

'And the Americans were aghast:
Shakespear, Madam, is obscene, and, thank God,
we are sufficiently advanced to have found it out.'
Quoted by Frances Trollope

'some of low- as in these verses written for the collar of the Prince Regent's pet dog:
I am His Highness' dog at Kew;
Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
Alexander Pope'

'-a jibe which gave one of the wounded a chance to get a little of his own back:
The great honour of that boast is such
That hornets and mad dogs may boast as much.
Lord Hervey'

'Keats promptly dies, and his friend and champion Shelley prompted the notion that he had been mortally wounded by his bad reviwes:
It may well be said that these wretched men know not what they do. ...What gnat did they strain at here, after having swallowed all those camels?
Against what woman taken in adultery dares the foremost of these literary prostitutes to cast his opprobrious stone? Miserable man! You, one of the meanest, have wantonly defaced one of the noblest specimens of the workmanship of God. Nor shall it be your excuse that, murderer as you are, you have spoken daggers, but used none.
Percy Bysshe Shelly Preface to "Adonais"'

'A denaturalized being who, having exhausted every species of sensual gratification, and drained the cup of sin to its bitterest dregs, is resolved to show that he is no longer human, even in his frailties, but a cool, unconcerned fiend'
John Stiles On Lord Byron.

One poetic young Turk who did achieve Establishment respectability was William Wordsworht, reaching dubious heights as poet laureate.
'In his youth, Wordsworht sypathised with the French Revolution, went to France, wrote good poetry, and had a natural daughter. At this period he was a "bad" man.
Then he became "good", abandoned his daughter, adopted correct principles, and wrote bad poetry.'
Bertrand Russell.

'He is old enough to know worse'
'A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing'
'If this is the way Queen Victoria treats her convicts, she dosen't deserve to have any'
Oscar Wilde.

'He could charm an audience an hour on a stretch without ever getting rid of an idea'
'Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to.'
'Such is the human race. Often it does seem a pity that Noah an dhis party didn't miss the boat.'
'Flease can be taught nearly anyhting that a congressman can'
'In the first place God made idiots; this was for practice; then he made school boards.'
Mark Twain.

'It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid.'
Bernard Shaw

You smelt it you dealt it.

HexHammer

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:34 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun ..uhmm ..and ur point is?

Zetherin

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:56 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;131860 wrote:

I think all he meant was "We should have a subforum where the forum rules do not apply and we can insult one another. There may be some value in that".

Why he didn't just say that, I haven't a clue.

Krumple

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:07 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;131868 wrote:
I think all he meant was "We should have a subforum where the forum rules do not apply and we can insult one another. There may be some value in that".

Why he didn't just say that, I haven't a clue.

You didn't sense even the smallest ounce of humor in her post? She is basically saying, why take things so seriously if someone is going to point out something you find absurd? There will always be someone who is going to disagree or think your comment was stupid. Even if you are the most educated on a subject there will be someone who will call you an idiot.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:15 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;131875 wrote:
You didn't sense even the smallest ounce of humor in her post? She is basically saying, why take things so seriously if someone is going to point out something you find absurd? There will always be someone who is going to disagree or think your comment was stupid. Even if you are the most educated on a subject there will be someone who will call you an idiot.

There will be a lot more people thinking your comment is stupid, if your comment is in fact stupid. Would you agree?

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:20 pm
@Zetherin,
I have the feeling that for the most part on this forum the people who's comments are considered stupid by the majority of members really don't care what the members think about their comments.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:42 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;131881 wrote:
I have the feeling that for the most part on this forum the people who's comments are considered stupid by the majority of members really don't care what the members think about their comments.

You say that as if it's a good thing.

sometime sun

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:54 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;131860 wrote:

You seem frustrated trying to get a rise out of others because your dick isn't working properly.
Perhaps if there was a place you could explode that wouldn't take the rest of the crowd down with you might be a good thing for you and for others who are just as frustrated. Or just need a little mind f**k. I meant fun.
Not everyone takes insults as seriously as you and if they do they should be able to at least be constructive with it.

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:57 pm
@Zetherin,
Did we not have a section in this thread about motive/intent? In a way i suppose its good because I know who to ignore. I already skip over many member's posts because I can safely assume that I will find them pointless, overly agendized, vapid, or boring. The more blatantly they are any of these things the less time I waste before I start skipping their posts.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:58 pm
@HexHammer,
sometime sun wrote:

You seem frustrated trying to get a rise out of others because your dick isn't working properly.

Is this an insult he should take seriously?

Goshisdead wrote:

Did we not have a section in this thread about motive/intent? In a way i suppose its good because I know who to ignore. I already skip over many member's posts because I can safely assume that I will find them pointless, overly agendized, vapid, or boring. The more blatantly they are any of these things the less time I waste before I start skipping their posts.

I wonder what things would be like if none of us had usernames on here, akin to sites like 9chan.

Maybe it would be a good thing not judging a poster by his/her name, and instead judging the contents of his/her post.

sometime sun

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:04 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;131881 wrote:

Just for the record i care, and i know you do.

But there is a fine line between investment and profit, people often dont care because no one is will to care about them.
Paying with a disposable income does not make it any less of something worth all OUR care.

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:05 pm
@Zetherin,
Maybe it would be Zeth, however after someone has consistenly shown (characteristic that shows their posts are generally uninteresting) I really don't feel bad about skipping them. I just don't have the time or care enough to waste the time I do have on them.

sometime sun

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:10 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;131894 wrote:
Is this an insult he should take seriously?

Depends on what makes him serious.
The question i think you are asking is do I take it seriously?
Just because i may or may not does not mean i do not care about what i say and more so what you hear and even more so the rebuff, rebuke, rebuttal, as long as it is a responce you care about, and if you cant means i will have to do it for the both of us.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:14 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;131898 wrote:
Depends on what makes him serious.
The question i think you are asking is do I take it seriously?
Just because i may or may not does not mean i do not care about what i say and more so what you hear and even more so the rebuff, rebuke, rebuttal, as long as it is a responce you care about, and if you cant means i will have to do it for the both of us.

Actually what I really meant is that I don't think there was any need to say his dick isn't working properly.

sometime sun

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:24 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;131902 wrote:
Actually what I really meant is that I don't think there was any need to say his dick isn't working properly.

It was necessary for the metaphor to work, it was necessary to make a point, i dont make a point about talking about peoples dicks especially slang about them,
erectile disfuncrtion is a sad fact and not something one would joke about, or should we all be laughing?
and it seems you took it seriously enough for the both of you.
Just trying to cross the divide, trying to communicate in a way i thought might actually connect.

---------- Post added 02-24-2010 at 07:29 PM ----------

HexHammer; if you do have erectile disfunction I am sorry for bringing it up:)

HexHammer

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:35 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;131890 wrote:
You act like a little spoiled child who just have had her bubble bursed, and woke up to reality. Sorry to wake you up.

Please stop acting pathetic and try to act mature.

sometime sun

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:53 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;131914 wrote:
You act like a little spoiled child who just have had her bubble bursed, and woke up to reality. Sorry to wake you up.

Please stop acting pathetic and try to act mature.

You mean to your reality, if you were really trying to wake me up you wouldn't be sorry for it. If you were trying to teach something of value, something worth caring for then you might have tried as i have to meet on common ground. I am not as mean spirited as you would hope me to be.
But i see now that what you really were looking for was merely a rise not anything that is worth caring about. And for the record i tried to meet you before you automatically dismissed me.
Look back on this one more time and try not to have such dismissal in your heart or mind.
I was trying to meet with you, this has become apparent that you dont want to be met.
Thanks for your time anyway. I found it well spent.

---------- Post added 02-24-2010 at 08:01 PM ----------

I was not trying to be mean. Perhaps trying to be something i am just not good at. Teacher not pupil, adult not child.

HexHammer

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 02:02 pm
@HexHammer,
@ sometime sun

You are a fool because:
- you can't respond to reason with reason, but only with bloated navel gazing metaphors.
- you act puerile
- you so blatantly can't respond to a world with dire consequenses, but only live in an imaginary idealistic world.
- you can't put anything in layman terms, making your "serious" statements only for the very exclusive. It is a disfunctional behaviour, impractical ..making you unable to act well amongst the masses, unable to communicate to other than those who are of same mentallity.

[edit] spelling

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:24:19