Does evil know it is evil?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 06:16 pm
@William,
William;126274 wrote:
Hello Jeb. As to your first comment, if you would please offer an example or examples of an individual "doing good" yet "doing evil".

Thanks,
William

You must mean think they are doing good, yet doing evil. Maybe Michael Jackson's physician thought he was doing good, yet did evil. Or even Hitler thought he was doing good, but did evil.

prothero

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:36 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;124789 wrote:
Assuming that there is such a thing as evil, do evil people necessarily know that they are evil? Can a person that does not know that s/he is evil still be called evil? Can a person be evil if s/he doesn't believe there is such a thing as evil? Well you get the point.

For this discussion please assume provisionally that there is such a thing as evil.
I think we judge such and such an act, action or event as "evil". I do not think we can judge a person as "evil".

Deckard

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 01:07 am
@prothero,
prothero;126313 wrote:
I think we judge such and such an act, action or event as "evil". I do not think we can judge a person as "evil".

My mama always said evil is as evil does.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:17 am
@prothero,
prothero;126313 wrote:

Why can't we judge a person as evil becauee he does evil actions? In fact, we do so. For example, Hitler.

Ennui phil

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 06:21 am
@Deckard,
The evil is impossible to think himself as evil.
The evil only thinks himself as good, in his own conscience and cognizance. The evil will always belie himself because he is evil.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 06:32 am
@Ennui phil,
Ennui;126373 wrote:
The evil is impossible to think himself as evil.
The evil only thinks himself as good,

I wonder how you know that. Have you taken a survey of evil people and asked them whether they think of themselves as evil or good? Of course, if they are evil, they will probably lie about it.

Lost1 phil

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 07:01 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126106 wrote:
But even when I was a child, I stole cookies, and I believed that was wrong. Didn't you? How is the desire to prove you incorrect justification for the view that people cannot do what they believe to be wrong?

For a more serious matter than stealing cookies read, Crime and Punishment by Dostoievsky. Raslolnikoff is punished by his own feelings of guilt for having murdered an old woman. It is clear that he knew (not only believed) it was wrong when he did it.

I keep wondering why philosophers keep saying thing they know are false like that no one does what is wrong knowingly. I suppose Wittgenstein explains some of it when he says that they are "in the grip of a theory".

Let's see if I can simplify it :sarcastic: ...

1.) you have been taught and accept that something is wrong

2.) something happens that your reaction to is to go against that which you believe to be wrong -- before you can react you first have to make it okay to do so before you can act.

You actually had to make it okay to steal the cookies ... "I don't care, or okay mom says it wrong but the reward is worth the punishment..."

3.) After the fact you will, sometimes, feel guilt for going against that which you believe to be wrong.

See #2 above -- you can not act without making it okay to do so, correct?

Lost1

kennethamy

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 07:07 am
@Lost1 phil,
Lost1;126389 wrote:
Let's see if I can simplify it :sarcastic: ...

1.) you have been taught and accept that something is wrong

2.) something happens that your reaction to is to go against that which you believe to be wrong -- before you can react you first have to make it okay to do so before you can act.

You actually had to make it okay to steal the cookies ... "I don't care, or okay mom says it wrong but the reward is worth the punishment..."

3.) After the fact you will, sometimes, feel guilt for going against that which you believe to be wrong.

See #2 above -- you can not act without making it okay to do so, correct?

Lost1

Except that there seem to be people (psychopaths, or sociopaths) who admit that what they are doing is evil (or wrong) but do not care. And, of course, there are kleptomanics who have a compulsion to steal, and do steal, but realize what they are doing is wrong. Now these are facts. (I didn't make it okay that I stole cookies. And even if I had, my mother wouldn't have).

So, I am afraid that your conclusion is false. And since your conclusion is false, there is something wrong with your argument. For a sound argument cannot have a false conclusion.

Lost1 phil

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 07:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126392 wrote:
Except that there seem to be people (psychopaths, or sociopaths) who admit that what they are doing is evil (or wrong) but do not care. And, of course, there are kleptomanics who have a compulsion to steal, and do steal, but realize what they are doing is wrong. Now these are facts. (I didn't make it okay that I stole cookies. And even if I had, my mother wouldn't have).

So, I am afraid that your conclusion is false. And since your conclusion is false, there is something wrong with your argument. For a sound argument cannot have a false conclusion.

How is my conclusion false? You keep over looking the middle where the decision to do something "wrong" takes place -- doesn't matter if you believed it to be wrong prior to the action, or guilty after the action -- TO ACT requires that you justify it as okay to do.

Pick anything big or small you believe without a doubt is wrong -- see if you can do the action without making it first okay ("I'll do it just to to prove her wrong--is justification) ...if you can honestly do that I'll admit that my conclusion is flawed, or at least that there is an exception to the conclusion. (I know same thing - just not as painful.)

Lost1

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 11:31 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;126330 wrote:
My mama always said evil is as evil does.

My grandmother allways said: wie kwaad doet, die Kwaad ontmoet.
(He who commits evil will meet Evil):eek:

---------- Post added 02-10-2010 at 06:37 AM ----------

kennethamy;126275 wrote:
You must mean think they are doing good, yet doing evil. Maybe Michael Jackson's physician thought he was doing good, yet did evil. Or even Hitler thought he was doing good, but did evil.

What about Robin Hood, Che, Mao and native Americans resisting conquest?:Glasses:

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126392 wrote:

They may admit that it is socially wrong, or that it is wrong in the sense of "do unto others what you would have done unto you".

However, if they do not care, it is just as wrong or just as right to do the act as to not do it, and that makes it ok to them.

If someone has a compulsion to steal, then they have a justification even if they admit it is wrong. In the same way an addict has a compulsion to take what they're addicted to even though they may know it is harmful on the long or even short term. It is ok to them, even if it is wrong.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:42 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;127194 wrote:

However, if they do not care, it is just as wrong or just as right to do the act as to not do it, and that makes it ok to them.

If someone has a compulsion to steal, then they have a justification even if they admit it is wrong. In the same way an addict has a compulsion to take what they're addicted to even though they may know it is harmful on the long or even short term. It is ok to them, even if it is wrong.

It may make it ok to them to do evil, but how does that mean they do not know it is evil?
A compulsion to steal is not a justification for stealing. It is a cause of stealing. But having a compulsion to steal does not make it all right to steal. If a compulsion to steal made it all right to steal, kleptomaniacs would not feel guilty because they stole, and they do.

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 08:12 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127200 wrote:
It may make it ok to them to do evil, but how does that mean they do not know it is evil?
A compulsion to steal is not a justification for stealing. It is a cause of stealing. But having a compulsion to steal does not make it all right to steal. If a compulsion to steal made it all right to steal, kleptomaniacs would not feel guilty because they stole, and they do.

I did not say it means they do not know it is evil.

It is one justification for stealing, it may not be a good one, but I did not say it made it right to steal.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 08:14 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;127218 wrote:
I did not say it means they do not know it is evil.

It is one justification for stealing, it may not be a good one, but I did not say it made it right to steal.

So what is the point of the example?

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 08:22 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127220 wrote:
So what is the point of the example?

"before you can react you first have to make it okay to do so before you can act."

I was pointing out that even though it is wrong in some way to them, they still make it ok first, which makes your reply to the quote above not matter. Since all Lost1 was saying is that they make it ok first, not that they make it right or fully justified.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 08:29 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;127224 wrote:
"before you can react you first have to make it okay to do so before you can act."

I was pointing out that even though it is wrong in some way to them, they still make it ok first, which makes your reply to the quote above not matter. Since all Lost1 was saying is that they make it ok first, not that they make it right or fully justified.

But it is an example of that, only if it is an example of that. But how do you know it is an example of that? Why do you think they made it ok first? Maybe they didn't and knew it was evil and did it anyway. If you suppose they made it ok first, then you are just begging the question, since that is exactly what is under dispute. You cannot simply suppose what is under dispute.

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 09:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127228 wrote:
But it is an example of that, only if it is an example of that. But how do you know it is an example of that? Why do you think they made it ok first? Maybe they didn't and knew it was evil and did it anyway. If you suppose they made it ok first, then you are just begging the question, since that is exactly what is under dispute. You cannot simply suppose what is under dispute.

Now that's more relevant. Perhaps they are evil people and did it because it was evil. It is disputable that they took the time to justify their actions, but is it not necessary that some thought or impulse was the cause of their actions, the effect?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 09:25 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;127267 wrote:
Now that's more relevant. Perhaps they are evil people and did it because it was evil. It is disputable that they took the time to justify their actions, but is it not necessary that some thought or impulse was the cause of their actions, the effect?

I suppose so. And so?

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127271 wrote:
I suppose so. And so?

Then maybe it comes down to how you define what it is to "make something ok"...? Is it a conscious thought process? Or is it a natural urge or action? Or both? Or something else?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:07 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;127301 wrote:
Then maybe it comes down to how you define what it is to "make something ok"...? Is it a conscious thought process? Or is it a natural urge or action? Or both? Or something else?

I really don't know what you are driving at. It is late.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 11:29:38