Does evil know it is evil?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 04:25 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;125818 wrote:
Here's another Bible verse from Rev. Deckard
"Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin." - James 4:17 This implies that those who don't know, don't sin and this seems to line up with Meno's conception of evil.

On the other hand, it could be interpreted as adding more ways to sin. Perhaps a person can sin by commission just the same, knowing or not, and also by omission, rejecting the claim of duty.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 05:02 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;125818 wrote:
"Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin." - James 4:17 This implies that those who don't know, don't sin and this seems to line up with Meno's conception of evil.

Where does Meno say anything like that?

Arjuna

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 07:39 pm
@kennethamy,
Dosed.;124834 wrote:
In Meno, Socrates says that there are those who know evils to be evils and desire them still. Yet there are some who do not know that the evils are, in fact, evils, and believe them to do them good. The latter are still considered virtuous, according to Meno, to whom virtue is the desire and power of attaining good.

Going off of this Socratic view, I think that the only ones who can truly be called "evil" are those who know the good, but do the bad anyway. those who do not know the good cannot be called evil, as the bad is all that they know. those who are virtuous are those who know the good and the bad, and choose to do the good. (lil bit of aristotle in there too, I guess.)

kennethamy;125894 wrote:
Where does Meno say anything like that?
An opposing view is that is doesn't make any sense for a person to act in a way that they themselves believe is evil.. by the definiton of evil... to do wrong, to fail, to miss the mark or target.

Any such action would be conceptually kin to suicide. I think a stoic view is that evil and disease are basically the same thing... a creature failing to follow its own nature which should lead it to its greatest success. Such a way of being is a dead-end street.

Anybody seen the movie Titus Andronicus with Anthony Hopkins? It's fabulous.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 07:51 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;125955 wrote:
An opposing view is that is doesn't make any sense for a person to act in a way that they themselves believe is evil.. by the definiton of evil... to do wrong, to fail, to miss the mark or target.

Any such action would be conceptually kin to suicide. I think a stoic view is that evil and disease are basically the same thing... a creature failing to follow its own nature which should lead it to its greatest success. Such a way of being is a dead-end street.

Anybody seen the movie Titus Andronicus with Anthony Hopkins? It's fabulous.

But where does Meno say what you claim he says? That is what I asked you.

Deckard

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 08:09 pm
@Dosed,
Dosed.;124834 wrote:
In Meno, Socrates says that there are those who know evils to be evils and desire them still. Yet there are some who do not know that the evils are, in fact, evils, and believe them to do them good. The latter are still considered virtuous, according to Meno, to whom virtue is the desire and power of attaining good.

I'm looking at the text. I think Dosed may have missed the quote. However, this is forgivable because my text presents this in a slightly confusing way. Meno's quick answers are not printed on a separate line nor are these quick answers labeled "Meno:". This is likely just a space saving decision by the editor or maybe it's in the original text. Here's some of the text as it appears in my Complete works of Plato starting around 77c:

Quote:
Socrates: Do you think, Meno, that anyone, knowing that bad things are bad, nevertheless desires them? - I certainly do.

Socrates: What do mean by desiring? Is it to secure for oneself? - What else?

Socrates: Does he think that the bad things benefit him who possesses them, or does he know they harm him?

Meno: There are some who believe that the bad things benefit them, others who know that the bad things harm them.

Socrates: And do you think that those who believe that bad things benefit them know that they are bad?

Meno: No, that I cannot altogether believe.

Socrates: So it is clear then that those who do not know things to be bad do not desire what is bad, but they desire those things that they believe to be good but that are in fact bad. It follows that those who have no knowledge of these things and believe them to be good clearly desire good things. Is that not so? - It is likely.
Socrates does not say that there are those who know evils to be evils and desire them too. Meno says something like this but Socrates changes his mind fairly quickly.

I think Socrates is generally consistent in the opinion (in Meno and other dialogues) that someone cannot do bad/evil/unvirtuous unless they are ignorant how to avoid the evil act or ignorant of the act's evilness. Socrates would say that evil does not know that it is evil.

Socrates teaches that those acts which we call "evil" stem from this very ignorance.

Deckard;125818 wrote:

So we can imagine Socrates having a similar conversation about the nature of sin with the author of James as he did with Meno.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 08:24 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;125973 wrote:
I'm looking at the text. I think Dosed may have missed the quote. However, this is forgivable because my text presents this in a slightly confusing way. Meno's quick answers are not printed on a separate line nor are these quick answers labeled "Meno:". This is likely just a space saving decision by the editor or maybe it's in the original text. Here's some of the text as it appears in my Complete works of Plato starting around 77c:

Socrates does not say that there are those who know evils to be evils and desire them too. Meno says something like this but Socrates changes his mind fairly quickly.

I think Socrates is generally consistent in the opinion (in Meno and other dialogues) that someone cannot do bad/evil/unvirtuous unless they are ignorant how to avoid the evil act or ignorant of the act's evilness. Socrates would say that evil does not know that it is evil.

Socrates teaches that those acts which we call "evil" stem from this very ignorance.

So we can imagine Socrates having a similar conversation about the nature of sin with the author of James as he did with Meno.

Socrates had the theory that doing evil always harms the doer far more than the victim. And that it is better to suffer evil than to do evil. He inferred from this that no one would do evil who believed he was doing evil, since no man would knowingly harm himself. Obviously, this depends on his theory that doing evil always harms the doer more than the victim. If you believe that, you will believe anything.

Deckard

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 08:36 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;125981 wrote:
Socrates had the theory that doing evil always harms the doer far more than the victim. And that it is better to suffer evil than to do evil. He inferred from this that no one would do evil who believed he was doing evil, since no man would knowingly harm himself. Obviously, this depends on his theory that doing evil always harms the doer more than the victim. If you believe that, you will believe anything.

Is it better to do evil than to be the victim of of some evil act? Would you rather be evil than a victim?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 08:48 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;125986 wrote:
Is it better to do evil than to be the victim of of some evil act? Would you rather be evil than a victim?

It would depend on what the evil was, and what the victim suffered.

Deckard

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 09:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;125990 wrote:
It would depend on what the evil was, and what the victim suffered.

Can you give a few examples of acts that you consider to be evil that you would prefer doing rather than being the victim of?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 11:37 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;125996 wrote:
Can you give a few examples of acts that you consider to be evil that you would prefer doing rather than being the victim of?

Sure. I might have been the pilot of the plane that carried the atomic bomb, and I would rather have carried the bomb to its target than to have been in Hiroshima.

prothero

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 11:39 pm
@Deckard,
Under the notion that evil is a privation of the good (absence of the good).
Evil has no purpose, no motivation, no knowledge what so ever. Evil is the absence of the good a manifestation of the formless void, of primordial choas. It is evil that is blind indiffence and purposeless not the universe and not god.

Lost1 phil

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:09 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;125748 wrote:
I imagine some of them know they are doing evil, and they don't care. And others don't know it. What makes you think they don't know they are doing evil?

Man can not do what he believes to be wrong. Man can only act on that which he has first justified.

You can test this yourself. Find something you believe to be wrong - then try to do it. Don't forget - the desire to prove me incorrect is justification Wink

Do not mistake someone changing their minds later as evidence that they knew themselves to be evil at the time of evil actions.

Lost1

kennethamy

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:22 am
@Lost1 phil,
Lost1;126098 wrote:
Man can not do what he believes to be wrong. Man can only act on that which he has first justified.

You can test this yourself. Find something you believe to be wrong - then try to do it. Don't forget - the desire to prove me incorrect is justification Wink

Do not mistake someone changing their minds later as evidence that they knew themselves to be evil at the time of evil actions.

Lost1

But even when I was a child, I stole cookies, and I believed that was wrong. Didn't you? How is the desire to prove you incorrect justification for the view that people cannot do what they believe to be wrong?

For a more serious matter than stealing cookies read, Crime and Punishment by Dostoievsky. Raslolnikoff is punished by his own feelings of guilt for having murdered an old woman. It is clear that he knew (not only believed) it was wrong when he did it.

I keep wondering why philosophers keep saying thing they know are false like that no one does what is wrong knowingly. I suppose Wittgenstein explains some of it when he says that they are "in the grip of a theory".

Arjuna

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:55 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126106 wrote:
But even when I was a child, I stole cookies, and I believed that was wrong. Didn't you?
I think the Christians would say that a person's willingness to do evil is an issue between that person and God. It's really nobody else's business, except for the way that we share this world, we're all related, and we support each other as best we can.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:56 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;126139 wrote:
I think the Christians would say that a person's willingness to do evil is an issue between that person and God. It's really nobody else's business, except for the way that we share this world, we're all related, and we support each other as best we can.

What has that to do with whether people who do evil know they are doing evil? Anything? Or does that matter?

Arjuna

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 09:56 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126141 wrote:
What has that to do with whether people who do evil know they are doing evil? Anything? Or does that matter?
I'm looking at the situation from your point of view. The thing is Ken, I'm not you... I'm me. So when I go to understand your viewpoint, what I end up with is a war-crimes tribunal.

I don't know what you'd see if you looked at the topic through my eyes. I'm guessing that you can't do that. Nevertheless... you're not talking to yourself here, are you?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:15 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;126159 wrote:
I'm looking at the situation from your point of view. The thing is Ken, I'm not you... I'm me. So when I go to understand your viewpoint, what I end up with is a war-crimes tribunal.

I don't know what you'd see if you looked at the topic through my eyes. I'm guessing that you can't do that. Nevertheless... you're not talking to yourself here, are you?

I still don't know what you wrote has to do with the topic. Not whether it is through your eyes, my eyes, or the eyes of God. So, rather than being defensive about it, why not just explain it to me. If you can.

Arjuna

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 02:36 pm
@Dosed,
kennethamy;126176 wrote:
I still don't know what you wrote has to do with the topic. Not whether it is through your eyes, my eyes, or the eyes of God. So, rather than being defensive about it, why not just explain it to me. If you can.
I appreciate your insistence that posters remain on topic. The OP:

Deckard;124789 wrote:
Assuming that there is such a thing as evil, do evil people necessarily know that they are evil? Can a person that does not know that s/he is evil still be called evil? Can a person be evil if s/he doesn't believe there is such a thing as evil? Well you get the point.

For this discussion please assume provisionally that there is such a thing as evil.
So let's answer the first question this way: evil people don't necessarily know that they are evil, but they might know it.

So in what light does this make sense? Throughout this thread, we've fished about for pertinent language. Christianity extensively explores morality, so how does the idea of intentional evil appear in this framework?

The Christian view is multifacted, but typical are the words of Paul: "The wages of sin is death." Romans 6:23. So in the same way your efforts are balanced by your paycheck, sin is balanced by death.

The person who is intentionally evil is reaching out for death. Since this would mean the person is turning away from earthly life, it would follow that he's also turning away from his fellow humans. He's isolating himself from everything. Except that since God is omnipresent, there's no way to be fully isolated. The one who is intentionally evil is in a kind of bubble with nothing else but God. If my post still seems irrelevant to you, you could just ignore it.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 04:42 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;126221 wrote:
I appreciate your insistence that posters remain on topic. The OP:

I insist on nothing but that a reply to my post have something to do with my post.

William

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 06:08 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;124790 wrote:
Some people think they are doing good when really they are doing evil.

But I think there are plenty of people who know what they are doing is wrong. They just don't care enough, and act selfishly. Or rationalize it in some other way. And maybe feel guilty sometimes.

Hello Jeb. As to your first comment, if you would please offer an example or examples of an individual "doing good" yet "doing evil".

Thanks,
William

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 09:22:05