Stupid people

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

memester

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 04:00 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;122456 wrote:
Chickens and spatulas are also incapable of learning calculus. There is quite a long list of things incapable of learning calculus. A million retarded people tapping away at a million typewriters for an unlimited amount of time would eventually write Newtons Principia. That's a funny mental picture but I digress; it's something I do sometimes; yep, I'm a digressor, or is it digresser? Anyway, would a retarded person come closer to learning calculus than a dog? I suppose dogs have some language skills but I think even retarded humans have them beat on that front. Can a computer learn calculus or is being programmed different from learning? Would dogs have computers beat on this front? How about a robot dog like the one that belongs to Doctor Who. Or should that be: "Doctor Whom"? It is the objective case so I think it should be "Whom" but then "Doctor Who" isn't really his name it's just the name of the show; he's just the "the doctor" or rather "The Doctor". I think I use the semicolon too much. I have digressed. I don't see how equating retarded-human-calculus-learning-abilities and canine-calculus-learning-abilities achieves anything beyond the faint suggestion that retarded humans are more like dogs than they are like humans who can learn calculus. Was Rainman retarded? I bet he knew calculus or he could learn it or maybe it would just make him mad and he would start screaming about Wapner and K-mart and banging his head against the wall. That movie's old. I'm dating myself. However, I'm not putting out unless I buy myself dinner. I liked that song at the beginning of Rainman: "Iko Iko". The lyrics are wicked scary like some voodoo hex or something.
Brainman sees numbers and relations in shapes and colours and "nice feelings" . He learns languages in a few days by the way the words sound and feel. He also says most languages have a little sound for the word "little" - sound of words may have some relation to the meaning of the words and he recognizes them that way too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbASOcqc1Ss

Emil

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 04:32 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;122527 wrote:
I'm not going to pretend I know what "Pr(P)>0" means, but I suppose you're speaking of a possible world example. The fact is, not everything is possible, and a retarded human will not produce brilliant thoughts simply based on the amount of time he/she thinks. It is a matter of ability, not time.

So, if I understand you correctly (which I'm not sure I do because you're not speaking plain English), I disagree.

"Pr(P)" just means the probability of P. ">" means above and "0" means zero. :p

So I was just talking about something that has a probability of happening that is more than zero. All such things will happen given infinite time. Is it possible for a toddler to type a sentence from your chosen work by accident? Yes. It is also more than logically possible, it has a non-zero probability. Is it likewise for all the following sentences? Yes. Is it also a nonzero probability that the toddler will type them in a row? Yes but extremely unlikely. However given infinite time all such unlikely events will happen.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 04:44 pm
@Emil,
Emil;122539 wrote:
"Pr(P)" just means the probability of P. ">" means above and "0" means zero. :p

So I was just talking about something that has a probability of happening that is more than zero. All such things will happen given infinite time. Is it possible for a toddler to type a sentence from your chosen work by accident? Yes. It is also more than logically possible, it has a non-zero probability. Is it likewise for all the following sentences? Yes. Is it also a nonzero probability that the toddler will type them in a row? Yes but extremely unlikely. However given infinite time all such unlikely events will happen.

But we're not talking about a toddler doing a stupid action which could cause uncanny results. We're talking about a toddler actually learning and understanding something substantial. But I'd like to steer away from toddler, and go back to very mentally retarded individual (as I am aware that some toddlers have been able to understand substantial material).

The million very retarded people will not be able to learn a theoretical physics equation, for instance. No matter the amount of time given. An infinite amount of time does not mean that what is impossible becomes possible.

But I'm not sure how you would calculate which things are more than zero probability-wise. All things which are not contradictions, ie. all things which are logically possible, are higher than zero probability-wise?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 04:46 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;122527 wrote:
I'm not going to pretend I know what "Pr(P)>0" means, but I suppose you're speaking of a possible world example. The fact is, not everything is possible, and a retarded human will not produce brilliant thoughts simply based on the amount of time he/she thinks. It is a matter of ability, not time.

So, if I understand you correctly (which I'm not sure I do because you're not speaking plain English), I disagree.

It means that the probability of P happening is greater than zero, which I guess is true, but I don't know how it fits in.

Deckard

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 05:48 pm
@memester,
memester;122528 wrote:
Brainman sees numbers and relations in shapes and colours and "nice feelings" . He learns languages in a few days by the way the words sound and feel. He also says most languages have a little sound for the word "little" - sound of words may have some relation to the meaning of the words and he recognizes them that way too.

I saw this one before but I'll probably watch it again now. I wonder if the Pythagoreans were tapped into the same shapes and colors and feelings of numbers. Neat stuff.

Emil

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:39 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;122545 wrote:
But we're not talking about a toddler doing a stupid action which could cause uncanny results. We're talking about a toddler actually learning and understanding something substantial. But I'd like to steer away from toddler, and go back to very mentally retarded individual (as I am aware that some toddlers have been able to understand substantial material).

That's not what we're talking about? Maybe you should read these passages again:

Someone else wrote:
A million retarded people tapping away at a million typewriters for an unlimited amount of time would eventually write Newtons Principia.

Z. wrote:
I wonder if you think a million toddlers tapping away at a million typewriters would eventually write Newton's Principia, too.

The answer is "yes".

As for retarded people learning something like Newton's physics. I agree with you.

Quote:
The million very retarded people will not be able to learn a theoretical physics equation, for instance. No matter the amount of time given. An infinite amount of time does not mean that what is impossible becomes possible.
Agreed.

Quote:
But I'm not sure how you would calculate which things are more than zero probability-wise. All things which are not contradictions, ie. all things which are logically possible, are higher than zero probability-wise?
I don't know. Some people think that that something is logically possible logically implies that it has a nonzero chance of happening [◊P⇒Pr(P)>0] but that's not true.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:12 pm
@Deckard,
Emil wrote:
The answer is "yes".

Oh, I see. I misrepresented my position. I wasn't clear, my apologies. What I meant was that the toddlers wouldn't understand and come to sophisticated conclusions; not that, through random and childish action, they wouldn't eventually write Newton's Principia.

I should have phrased that differently, my bad.

Mowgli phil

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 11:35 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;122420 wrote:
Wrong. You are confusing stupidity with ignorance. If people don't know something, then they are ignorant of that thing. But that is not stupidity. Look up both words, "ignorance" and "stupidity" in the dictionary. You are ignorant of the distinction between them, but that does not mean you are stupid (unless, of course, you cannot see the difference, or learn the difference between them). It makes no sense to say you are stupid of X. It isn't even English. But, of course, it makes sense to say that you are ignorant of X, and that is English. You cannot be "stupid of" something. But you can be "ignorant of" something.

wrong. stupid can mean slow to learn or grasp a concept, and i never said someone can be stupid of anything. i sad someone can be stupid ABOUT something. i am starting to think your not even reading my posts.

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 02:11 am
@Mowgli phil,
or is he just being stupid?

Owen phil

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:44 am
@Deckard,
Emil,
"Some people think that that something is logically possible logically implies that it has a nonzero chance of happening [◊P⇒Pr(P)>0] but that's not true."

Of course it is true.

Pr(p)=0 <=> ~<>P.
~(Pr(p)=0) <=> <>p.
therefore,
<>p => ~(Pr(p)=0).

Emil

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 07:44 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;122604 wrote:
Oh, I see. I misrepresented my position. I wasn't clear, my apologies. What I meant was that the toddlers wouldn't understand and come to sophisticated conclusions; not that, through random and childish action, they wouldn't eventually write Newton's Principia.

I should have phrased that differently, my bad.

No problem mate. I agree that a toddler would not be able to understand something very sofisticated.

---------- Post added 01-26-2010 at 03:03 PM ----------

Owen;122694 wrote:
Emil,
"Some people think that that something is logically possible logically implies that it has a nonzero chance of happening [◊P⇒Pr(P)>0] but that's not true."

Of course it is true.

Pr(p)=0 <=> ~<>P.
~(Pr(p)=0) <=> <>p.
therefore,
<>p => ~(Pr(p)=0).

Previous correspondence with you have been a waste of time, so I will answer you only because Z. may find what you write convincing. That is, if

Owen phil

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 08:28 am
@Deckard,
Emil,
"Previous correspondence with you have been a waste of time,"

Good, I feel the same way about you.

Have a nice day.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:00 am
@Deckard,
Emil wrote:

But if we then accept that for all points, it is impossible that the arrow hits there we get a contradiction

Wait, why are we making this assumption? This is the only part I don't understand, leading to this premise:

Quote:

3k1yp2

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:29 am
@Deckard,
The average IQ is only 100. go figure, but then again, im not a big believer in iq tests. So hmm...i think many people are mishuided, for whatever reason, but not stupid really.

Emil

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:47 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;122722 wrote:
Wait, why are we making this assumption? This is the only part I don't understand, leading to this premise:

4 is not an assumption. It is an inference. Read the argument again. It follows from 1, 3 by MP. I thought the inference signifier "thus" made that clear. Perhaps you skipped that word.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:50 pm
@Emil,
Emil;122948 wrote:
4 is not an assumption. It is an inference. Read the argument again. It follows from 1, 3 by MP. I thought the inference signifier "thus" made that clear. Perhaps you skipped that word.

I never said premise 4 was an assumption. And it's odd you came to the conclusion I didn't know premise 4 followed from 1 and 3 by MP, since you explicitly wrote that. Huh, that's odd. I guess you think I can't read.

Read the first part of what I quoted above. You started as stating, "If we accept...", which I thought was synonymous with "If we assume...". I don't understand why you accept what you accept in the English version of the argument.

Insty

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:43 pm
@Deckard,
I don't think most people are stupid. I also don't think that most people think that most people are stupid.

Emil

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:09 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;122950 wrote:
I never said premise 4 was an assumption. And it's odd you came to the conclusion I didn't know premise 4 followed from 1 and 3 by MP, since you explicitly wrote that. Huh, that's odd. I guess you think I can't read.

Of course you can read. But this strikes me as odd, consider that you wrote:

Quote:
I can't make out what you mean for sure, so I guessed that you think 4 was an assumption. What do I know?

Quote:
Read the first part of what I quoted above. You started as stating, "If we accept...", which I thought was synonymous with "If we assume...". I don't understand why you accept what you accept in the English version of the argument.
Accepting and assuming are different. Assuming is without adequate evidence. Accepting can be with or without adequate evidence. At least, that's how I use them. People sometimes criticize others for assuming 'without proof' something, which is kind of a stupid criticism since all assumptions are 'without proof'. To talk of assuming something with good reason is a contradiction. Though people sometimes write things like "we have good reason to assume [P]" but that is different. And this is not important or relevant for the topic of this thread, that is, the stupidity of the general population.

The argument given in standard english should be taken as identical to the one expressed below in formal english and formal logic. What I meant with the quoted passage is that from the premises and the assumption we can deduce a contradiction and thus the assumption is false. This is standard RAA procedure. RAA meaning reductio ad absurdum.

Does this help? Smile

---------- Post added 01-27-2010 at 07:13 AM ----------

Insty;122954 wrote:
I don't think most people are stupid. I also don't think that most people think that most people are stupid.

Supposing that you really mean that you think most people are not stupid, then you're wrong. And if similarly you mean that most people think that most people are not stupid, then you are probably right, but they are wrong too.

Even stupid people can see that most people are stupid, but most importantly they should recognize their own stupidity. But then again studies/a study have shown that smart people tend to underrate themselves and stupid people overrate themselves. That is interesting.

Insty

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:35 am
@Emil,
Emil;122962 wrote:

---------- Post added 01-27-2010 at 07:13 AM ----------

Supposing that you really mean that you think most people are not stupid, then you're wrong. And if similarly you mean that most people think that most people are not stupid, then you are probably right, but they are wrong too.

Even stupid people can see that most people are stupid, but most importantly they should recognize their own stupidity. But then again studies/a study have shown that smart people tend to underrate themselves and stupid people overrate themselves. That is interesting.

What I said was that I don't think most people are stupid. Which is to say that I don't agree with the claim that most people are stupid.

And I'm correct.

Emil

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 03:46 am
@Insty,
Insty;122967 wrote:
What I said was that I don't think most people are stupid. Which is to say that I don't agree with the claim that most people are stupid.

And I'm correct.

If you merely lack belief that most people are stupid, then you are neither correct nor incorrect since you hold no belief on the matter. If you believe what I wrote before, then you are wrong. It is pretty obvious that most people are stupid.

I find that IQs are not a good measure of stupidity. Even many people with high IQs are stupid. Having a high IQ is nothing more than being good at solving abstract "find the pattern" problems, not very applicable to common human life which is concrete and not abstract. But even in common life people fail. They do stupid things such as smoking, driving while drunk, become too drunk, eat the wrong food etc. even though they know of the consequences and know that these consequences are in conflict with their long-term interests.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 11:40:01