GoshisDead

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:17 pm
@kennethamy,
This thread is stupid, bwahahahahahaha! <---sinister laugh

Deckard

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:50 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;122175 wrote:
The term "stupid" used as an insult doesn't really have much to do with its literal meaning, and you should not take it literally. I often call politicians I don't like, "idiots" but, of course, I don't mean it literally either. Just as when I call someone I don't like, "a bastard" I am really not commenting on his parentage.

But if it is not to be taken literally, why choose "stupid" or "idiot" and not some other words. Clearly, if you use these words as terms of derision then you consider those that are actually stupid idiots contemptible. The same goes for "bastard" although that's more of a carry over from a bygone age. Nobody cares if your parents were married anymore although they certainly used to and that's why "bastard" became an insult.

mister kitten

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 03:11 pm
@kennethamy,

If most people have IQs or either 100-110 or less, why aren't most people stupid (or, at least, pretty dull) by the only reliable measure we have?[/QUOTE]

And what does an IQ do?

NecromanticSin

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 04:14 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;122056 wrote:
Why do most people believe that most people are stupid?

I think a lot of people include the above premise in the foundation of their belief system, their ethics, and their sense of self-worth. I'd like to take a poll but that feature is disabled. Do you think most people are stupid? I'll go against the grain and say: "No." However, I may be denial. I'm interested in hearing arguments from the other side. Does anyone have any proof? There are plenty of examples of stupidity but one example does not suggest that most people fit that example. So, if you provide evidence, please provide only evidence of the alleged wide spread stupidity of the majority and not specific examples of isolated stupidity.

Most people think most people are stupid,beacuse we are all stupid. Not always in the same way, but in one way or another everyone has a weakness within their mind,that makes them prone to make stupid choice. Whether it has to do with common sense, street or books smart, everyone makes a mistake,or many. This is how we learn to grow and learn from our mistakes. If everyone was making the ''right'' or, ''smart'' choice in situations, we wouldn't have struggle. Which in my eyes, i believe struggle and pain provokes creativity, but then again so does being happy.
I think there needs a balance of everything,and without smarts, there wouldn't be stupidity. People are not just born with the ability to be smart, we grow over time, with factors of our families, our culture, our society, and so on. Along with what we inheret from our families can be a major factor in learning abilities. So the fact that there's so MANY different reasons to why a person is the way they are, who is to say what is ''smart'' and what is ''stupidity''? We rarely take into count that there's so many possiblities to why one is the way they are.

when people do not understand that we're all the same, just in different circumstances, they tend to believe they're better or higher in value, beacuse they were giving different choices and different predetermined situations,like way one is raised, the school they go to, their peers, and along with everyone and their mother having a mental/emotional disorder or another, we are all just humans.

and as humans, we are all stupid.

i forgot who said it, but ''the more i learn, the more i learn i know nothing'' i believe that's how it goes,or something along that.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 04:19 pm
@NecromanticSin,
NecromanticSin;122227 wrote:
Most people think most people are stupid,beacuse we are all stupid. Not always in the same way, but in one way or another everyone has a weakness within their mind,that makes them prone to make stupid choice. .

If someone is stupid, it is not that he sometimes does something stupid. It is that he is unable to do certain sorts of things. A retarded (or "mentally challenged") person has an important disability.

sometime sun

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 04:47 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;122139 wrote:
Please, don't call me "Shirley".
Quote:

Thanks for not making me look stupid, retarded perhaps but not stupid.Smile

kennethamy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 05:02 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;122241 wrote:
kennethamy;122139 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for not making me look stupid, retarded perhaps but not stupid.Smile

It is just that I am a guy, and don't like to be called, "Shirley". You understand.

sometime sun

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 05:08 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;122248 wrote:
kennethamy;122139 wrote:

It is just that I am a guy, and don't like to be called, "Shirley". You understand.

Surly i understand, would Marion be any better?Smile

kennethamy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 05:15 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;122251 wrote:
kennethamy;122248 wrote:

Surly i understand, would Marion be any better?Smile

Not a lot.................

sometime sun

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 05:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;122254 wrote:
kennethamy;122248 wrote:

Not a lot.................

But just enough to make you a cowboy?Smile

kennethamy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 06:07 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;122257 wrote:
kennethamy;122254 wrote:

But just enough to make you a cowboy?Smile

Not even that much. Just a librarian.

sometime sun

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 06:18 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;122270 wrote:
sometime sun;122257 wrote:
kennethamy;122254 wrote:

Not even that much. Just a librarian.

Yes Sir! Sir yes Sir!

Mowgli phil

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 06:24 pm
@Deckard,
Everyone is stupid, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. not knowing something gives us the chance to seek that knowledge out, and isn't the hunt half of the fun?

If we took the stupidest person in the world, and gave him 9 million years to learn everything no matter how stupid that person is he could still complete this task. this means that intelligence should be thought of like a distance between one point to the next. some of us may be faster, but given the right amount of time any of us can get from point A to point B, and so in that way we are all equally stupid and smart.

The difference between the wise and the foolish is not really intellect, its curiosity. what we call stupidity is really more like laziness or just a simple lack or curiosity since everyone can learn no matter how quickly or slowly.

also what is intelligence, what makes a person smart? a computer can store and recall data, but it is not really smart, right? the longer we think about this the more intelligence looses all meaning.

also what intelligence does mankind have that is absolutely verifiable? are senses are limited and flawed, we think up something, and then have another human with the same limitations, and flaws check or work for us. here is an example: all the retarded monkeys on an island think the moon is made of bananas so the monkey that thinks its made of coconut is considered stupid by the rest, but in reality their all still brainless monkeys.

in the end people say everyone is stupid simply because this makes them feel special, and boost their self-esteem. so it doesn't really mean anything.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 07:01 pm
@Mowgli phil,
Mowgli;122275 wrote:
Everyone is stupid, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. not knowing something gives us the chance to seek that knowledge out, and isn't the hunt half of the fun?

If we took the stupidest person in the world, and gave him 9 million years to learn everything no matter how stupid that person is he could still complete this task. this means that intelligence should be thought of like a distance between one point to the next. some of us may be faster, but given the right amount of time any of us can get from point A to point B, and so in that way we are all equally stupid and smart.

The difference between the wise and the foolish is not really intellect, its curiosity. what we call stupidity is really more like laziness or just a simple lack or curiosity since everyone can learn no matter how quickly or slowly.

also what is intelligence, what makes a person smart? a computer can store and recall data, but it is not really smart, right? the longer we think about this the more intelligence looses all meaning.

also what intelligence does mankind have that is absolutely verifiable? are senses are limited and flawed, we think up something, and then have another human with the same limitations, and flaws check or work for us. here is an example: all the retarded monkeys on an island think the moon is made of bananas so the monkey that thinks its made of coconut is considered stupid by the rest, but in reality their all still brainless monkeys.

in the end people say everyone is stupid simply because this makes them feel special, and boost their self-esteem. so it doesn't really mean anything.

Not everyone is stupid. That is an ignorant thing to say.

memester

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 07:38 pm
@Mowgli phil,
Mowgli;122275 wrote:

a computer can store and recall data, but it is not really smart, right? the longer we think about this the more intelligence looses all meaning.
this essay on meaning based vs. information based intelligence is very nice http://star.tau.ac.il/~eshel/papers/meaning%20based.pdf

Mowgli phil

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 10:46 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;122283 wrote:
Not everyone is stupid. That is an ignorant thing to say.

have you ever made a decision that was unwise? is there any any field of study in which you lack intelligence? has there ever been ANY concept, idea, theory, equation, etc, that you haven't magically excelled at instantly? if you answer yes to any of these question then by definition your stupid just like the rest of us. of course this doesn't mean that your not also intelligent. i think if you read my post more closely you will find that i haven't said that i am not using the term stupid in a insulting way or to say that anyone is unable learn. in fact i said in so many words that all people are equally stupid and intelligent and that time and curiosity or lack of are the only separating factors.

i would be happy to reevaluate my view or to further explain it, but "Not everyone is stupid. That is an ignorant thing to say." doesn't tell me why you think i am wrong or ignorant.

Deckard

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 11:07 pm
@memester,
memester;122286 wrote:
this essay on meaning based vs. information based intelligence is very nice http://star.tau.ac.il/~eshel/papers/meaning%20based.pdf

I just have to say I'm loving this essay. Thank you so much for posting it. :a-ok:

memester

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 01:31 am
@Deckard,
do you know that of the thousands of people that have glanced at this when linked to, you are perhaps the 2nd person to appreciate it ?

here is a little corroboration about the bacteria Bonnie Bassler on how bacteria "talk" | Video on TED.com

and following up on Shrodinger is Balon

Environment, development and ... - Google Books

kennethamy

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:11 am
@Mowgli phil,
Mowgli;122309 wrote:

i would be happy to reevaluate my view or to further explain it, but "Not everyone is stupid. That is an ignorant thing to say." doesn't tell me why you think i am wrong or ignorant.

Because anyone can do a stupid thing sometimes. But to be a stupid person, you have to be stupid as a long term tendency. It is like the difference between weather and climate. The weather is a day to day affair. But the climate is a steady long term going on. Even smart people may do occasionally stupid things. But stupid people do only occasionally smart things (if then). There is a big difference.

fast

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 09:00 am
@Deckard,
Stupidity doesn't have a cure. Ignorance does.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:06:22