Chess Anyone?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:42 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;167270 wrote:
I suck at chess - I don't remember a time that I actually won at international chess - but I still want to play! I have a chess set in my college room, but I have nobody to play with!

What is international chess? There are many chess sites on the Web you can join, and play others on.

platorepublic

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:45 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;167274 wrote:
What is international chess? There are many chess sites on the Web you can join, and play others on.

As opposed to other types of chess, like Chinese chess. I would rather play chess in real life, as I also like the interaction and discussion besides simply moving pieces.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:50 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;167275 wrote:
As opposed to other types of chess, like Chinese chess. I would rather play chess in real life, as I also like the interaction and discussion besides simply moving pieces.

Oh. I didn't know that non-Chinese chess was called "international chess". In fact, Oxford has a chess club, or at least did when I was there. They might admit you as a member. In any case, you can generally interact with opponents on web sites. There is usually a chat function. Of course, that supposes that your opponent wants to interact with you instead of playing chess. That is not always true.

platorepublic

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:57 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;167278 wrote:
Oh. I didn't know that non-Chinese chess was called "international chess". In fact, Oxford has a chess club, or at least did when I was there. They might admit you as a member. In any case, you can generally interact with opponents on web sites. There is usually a chat function. Of course, that supposes that your opponent wants to interact with you instead of playing chess. That is not always true.

Yeah, but I am not enthusiastic enough to go to a chess club.

I don't think any of my friends play chess. But one, but we are kind of losing contact with each other, due to our busy schedules, so bleh.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:59 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;167280 wrote:
Yeah, but I am not enthusiastic enough to go to a chess club.

Sorry, I don't think I can help you there.

Emil

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 02:07 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;119522 wrote:
In that case, you may want to play chess with tiny glasses instead of pieces, and have each glass filled with hard liquor, such as Scotch or vodka or whatever the two of you like. The pawns should be replaced with shot glasses, and the bishops and knights with slightly larger glasses, with rooks being bigger still, and the queen the biggest of all (the king remains an ordinary piece, for reasons that should seem obvious momentarily if they are not already). Then, whenever a player captures a piece, he or she must drink the glass of liquor immediately. (Given the number of pieces, you will want to make sure that the glasses are all fairly small, or someone might die from playing this way.) This adds a new element to the game, such that, to remain sober, one must avoid capturing too many of one's opponent's pieces while trying to get a checkmate. And, of course, if someone passes out and is unable to continue playing, that is forfeiting the game.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11744874/Shot_Glass_Drinking_Chess_Set.jpg

manored

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 05:29 pm
@Emil,
Emil;167399 wrote:
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11744874/Shot_Glass_Drinking_Chess_Set.jpg
How do you tell the pieces apart if you decide to fill then to the brim? =)

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 07:03:26