Chess Anyone?

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Chess Anyone?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 05:07 pm
Im making a thread out of curiosity to see if anyone here plays chess and/or would like to play. I used to be really into the game and was a top player at my local public high school. Unfortunately, not many people played the game at my school so I was pretty much good by default lol. Lately, I havent been playing much (its been about 5-6 years) but I've started to get back into it. So if anyone would like to play some chess (yes its free online) or would just like to talk about the game, hit me up!

Hopefully to spark some interest, here's a cool video:

Video
 
mister kitten
 
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 05:18 pm
@Kielicious,
Dude I would love to play chess
 
Kielicious
 
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 05:20 pm
@mister kitten,
Alright, just send me a PM with your info. I know yahoo chess is free but if you know a better site let me know.
 
salima
 
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 06:55 pm
@Kielicious,
i know someone who plays chess on ibibo i think? i love the game but i am too rotten to play, unless it is restricted to five-year-olds. the only time i ever beat anyone is when i am teaching them how to play-and once when a friend was blind drunk, i beat him twice in a row.
 
Pyrrho
 
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:10 pm
@salima,
salima;119516 wrote:
i know someone who plays chess on ibibo i think? i love the game but i am too rotten to play, unless it is restricted to five-year-olds. the only time i ever beat anyone is when i am teaching them how to play-and once when a friend was blind drunk, i beat him twice in a row.


In that case, you may want to play chess with tiny glasses instead of pieces, and have each glass filled with hard liquor, such as Scotch or vodka or whatever the two of you like. The pawns should be replaced with shot glasses, and the bishops and knights with slightly larger glasses, with rooks being bigger still, and the queen the biggest of all (the king remains an ordinary piece, for reasons that should seem obvious momentarily if they are not already). Then, whenever a player captures a piece, he or she must drink the glass of liquor immediately. (Given the number of pieces, you will want to make sure that the glasses are all fairly small, or someone might die from playing this way.) This adds a new element to the game, such that, to remain sober, one must avoid capturing too many of one's opponent's pieces while trying to get a checkmate. And, of course, if someone passes out and is unable to continue playing, that is forfeiting the game.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:41 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;119484 wrote:
Im making a thread out of curiosity to see if anyone here plays chess and/or would like to play. I used to be really into the game and was a top player at my local public high school. Unfortunately, not many people played the game at my school so I was pretty much good by default lol. Lately, I havent been playing much (its been about 5-6 years) but I've started to get back into it. So if anyone would like to play some chess (yes its free online) or would just like to talk about the game, hit me up!

Hopefully to spark some interest, here's a cool video:

Video


I used to play chess quite a lot when in college (along with bridge). I played on my college team. Now I play on a (pay) site called, "Instant Chess". (I play philosophy when I want to take it easy from chess). Only kidding. Not sure how to arrange a game with you, though.
 
Zetherin
 
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:12 pm
@Kielicious,
Just go on yahoo chess, it's the best.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:14 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;119538 wrote:
Just go on yahoo chess, it's the best.


Yes, I guess that is one possibility.
 
3k1yp2
 
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:56 pm
@kennethamy,
i actually love chess even though ive played less than 100 times ever. i recently found this site called <gameknot.com> which is free or upgradeable for a fee which allows you to play more games simultaneously. you can play live or set the number of days allowed per move, but some people end up in really intense games that they play through to the end. its a good site and maybe if you join we could be buddy listed. only thing is, i may not be much of a challenge YET...but i do need more people on my buddy list. look me up. im the only person on the internet with the 3k1yp2 username, so it shouldn't be that hard to look me up on gameknot =) by the way, i don't know anything about yahoo chess because i don't have a computer, so i use the browser on my nintendo wii, which doesn't supprt it yet. but im workin on hacking my wii

---------- Post added 01-12-2010 at 09:00 PM ----------

salima;119516 wrote:
i know someone who plays chess on ibibo i think? i love the game but i am too rotten to play, unless it is restricted to five-year-olds. the only time i ever beat anyone is when i am teaching them how to play-and once when a friend was blind drunk, i beat him twice in a row.


wow, that made me laugh really loud and i woke up my little brother, maybe if i played you i wouldn't feel like such a sorry chess-player?
 
Kielicious
 
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 09:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;119539 wrote:
Yes, I guess that is one possibility.


yahoo chess is the only one Im familiar with so if you want to play then leave your yahoo name. Making a list of everyone's yahoo name to post would be helpful but I dont want to release it unless its ok by the user. Right now me and mister kitty just played and there were some intense games. So if you want to play ken either post or pm your yahoo name and we can start playing. Smile

---------- Post added 01-12-2010 at 07:22 PM ----------

3k1yp2;119548 wrote:
i actually love chess even though ive played less than 100 times ever. i recently found this site called <gameknot.com> which is free or upgradeable for a fee which allows you to play more games simultaneously. you can play live or set the number of days allowed per move, but some people end up in really intense games that they play through to the end. its a good site and maybe if you join we could be buddy listed. only thing is, i may not be much of a challenge YET...but i do need more people on my buddy list. look me up. im the only person on the internet with the 3k1yp2 username, so it shouldn't be that hard to look me up on gameknot =) by the way, i don't know anything about yahoo chess because i don't have a computer, so i use the browser on my nintendo wii, which doesn't supprt it yet. but im workin on hacking my wii


I'll have to check out gameknot.com but in the mean time if you have a yahoo account and want to play let me know.
 
3k1yp2
 
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 09:27 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;119556 wrote:
yahoo chess is the only one Im familiar with so if you want to play then leave your yahoo name. Making a list of everyone's yahoo name to post would be helpful but I dont want to release it unless its ok by the user. Right now me and mister kitty just played and there were some intense games. So if you want to play ken either post or pm your yahoo name and we can start playing. Smile

---------- Post added 01-12-2010 at 07:22 PM ----------



I'll have to check out gameknot.com but in the mean time if you have a yahoo account and want to play let me know.


i dont have a computer so i use the web browser on my Nintendo Wii, which doesn't support yahoo chess, at least until i hack my wii and mod it...can't wait to see ya on gameknot though
 
Camerama
 
Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 06:54 pm
@Kielicious,
Flyordie.com has good online chess games
 
Deckard
 
Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 09:03 pm
@Camerama,
Here's a game that is interesting historically at least. Napoleon Bonaparte vs. "The Turk". Site is great for studying other games as well.

Napoleon Bonaparte vs The Turk (Automaton) (1809) "Napoleon Torn Apart"
 
KaseiJin
 
Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:06 pm
@Kielicious,
I love the game, but have had so few chances to play (except with my sons over the past 4 or 5 years...having had to wait until they got upper grade school, and jr. high--even then, only three or four times a year). I have tried playing Igo (go, in the States) on line, and it was a mess...so...I know I should not try to play any game on-line. I do encourage those who have the time to do so, to do so, however !!!

THEN...as side note, I came up with a slightly-inspired-by-a-sudden-recall-of-the-television-version-of-Star-Trek-I-had-seen-when-in-elementary-school version of 3D chess. I asked my stained-glass artist friend, and did the wood work myself. I finished it this past December, the day after X-mas, and had the boys play two opening games on the 27th. The middle son won the first game, the youngest son won the second game. I took photos and will put them in an up-coming photo album related to things done in the studio (and some of my art work). I think you guys would like it...
 
Justin
 
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 11:14 am
@Kielicious,
We have chess on this site. I'm more than happy to enable it with the permission of Robert. I'd have to actually gain the permission to do so but we do have Chess installed.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 12:16 pm
@Justin,
Justin;119975 wrote:
We have chess on this site. I'm more than happy to enable it with the permission of Robert. I'd have to actually gain the permission to do so but we do have Chess installed.


Please do so. Thanks.
 
Justin
 
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 12:59 pm
@Kielicious,
More than happy to. I'll get ahold of Robert and see if we can make this happen.
 
Zetherin
 
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:22 pm
@Justin,
Justin;119984 wrote:
More than happy to. I'll get ahold of Robert and see if we can't make this happen.


While you're at it, see if we can make this happen too. Very Happy
 
manored
 
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 06:55 pm
@Kielicious,
I like chess, but, given the choice, I prefer to play eletronic games rather than board games or "eletronized" board games. I like strategy, but I prefer eletronic games because they allow for more complex events to happen, wich in turn allow one to be more original rather than just having a superb processing ability. I mean, chess is cool, but then was the last time you saw a move than you could consider both "original" and "not stupid"? =)
 
3k1yp2
 
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 07:18 pm
@Justin,
Justin;119984 wrote:
More than happy to. I'll get ahold of Robert and see if we can make this happen.


hurray! (even though i'll lose at first) Smile
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Chess Anyone?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 01/23/2021 at 03:16:48