So what makes me bad?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

TickTockMan
 
Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 11:56 am
@richrf,
richrf;84069 wrote:
I hope he doesn't spend too much time working on those proofs. Maybe you can help him?

Rich


Maybe I can help who? I'm unsure what/who you are referencing here.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:43 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;84074 wrote:
Maybe I can help who? I'm unsure what/who you are referencing here.


Or referring to, too?

---------- Post added 08-18-2009 at 03:46 PM ----------

richrf;84053 wrote:
Yes, and each person makes their own choice of what they want to believe. A problem arises when someone else tries to tell people what they should believe and how they should believe. That is religion - which is also OK.

Rich


I don't know about that. Even if I tried hard to believe in the Spaghetti Monster, I don't think I would succeed. Ditto for aroma therapy.
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:55 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;84116 wrote:
Or referring to, too?


Yes, that also as well, too. As long as we're clear about that.
 
odenskrigare
 
Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 02:26 pm
@richrf,
richrf;83996 wrote:
I think you are living in an absurd world where computers are equivalent to human beings


no, what I'm saying is that human beings are a proper subset of computers

richrf;83996 wrote:
and where creativity is suppressed in the name of mindless, robotic imitation of that which was already taught in school


rich I hate school and will probably continue hating it until I reach the graduate level

richrf;83996 wrote:
Every great theory preceded experimentation verification


no

richrf;83996 wrote:
I enjoy creativity and welcome it.


oh ok then why is it that you show utterly no signs of creativity

richrf;83996 wrote:
You can live in your own sterile world of pluses and minuses, but I prefer a far more creative, active world.


how are creativity and rationality mutually exclusive rich

what is uncreative about the mathematical world (i.e., "pluses and minuses")

richrf;83996 wrote:
Quantum physicists such as Bell, d'Espagnat, Wheeler, Feymann, Bohm, Zeilinger have incredibly creative, imaginative, thoughts that stretch the imagination.


you're taking them out of context, for the most part. the remainder have fringe views that aren't taken seriously by most real physicists

richrf;83996 wrote:
Why the heck would I give up all of that fun, spice of life, for your drab world?


rich I was diagnosed with AS and schizoid personality (i.e., wanting to be myself rather than a slave to society). much of my life has been a mind-wracking uphill battle against teachers, against family, against peers, against pig-headed adults, and against authority figures of all kinds

what you are doing now is trivializing this experience, saying that I'm a conformist rote thinker, that I never experienced this suffering for I had no reason to get in trouble

this is EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE, rich, and I am going to ask you to stop once before appealing to the moderators

---------- Post added 08-18-2009 at 04:32 PM ----------

kennethamy;84116 wrote:
I don't know about that. Even if I tried hard to believe in the Spaghetti Monster, I don't think I would succeed. Ditto for aroma therapy.


ha

when people ask me why I don't believe in their god, I just tell them I believe in a terrible demon-god of ten-thousand heads named Dhaakhra who commands me to do his bidding, and justify his existence and purpose with the very same nonsense that any religious believer uses for their god(s)

it's an unsettling account but that's kind of the point ... you're supposed to be disturbed by any person who believes powerful supernatural agents have plans for them
 
richrf
 
Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 02:34 pm
@odenskrigare,
To each his own.

Rich
 
odenskrigare
 
Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 02:52 pm
@richrf,
richrf;84129 wrote:
To each his own.

Rich


in regards to your message pre-edit, I am ****ing serious

in regards to the current message, "to each his own," surely you would not object if I were in favor of behavior modification at a direct neural level

I mean "to each his own" right?
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 06:33 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;84126 wrote:
you're supposed to be disturbed by any person who believes powerful supernatural agents have plans for them


Well, I just found out that apparently Jesus wants me for a sunbeam. I'm very disturbed about that.
 
richrf
 
Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 06:44 pm
@TickTockMan,
[ .............]
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 06:56 pm
@richrf,
richrf;84195 wrote:
[ .............]


I am unfamiliar with this sigil, Earthman. Explain?
 
manored
 
Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 06:02 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;84044 wrote:
Well, having an open mind is being receptive to plausible ideas that oppose your own, and not just rejecting them out of hand. But, having an empty head is to have no beliefs of your own, and being willing to accept any implausible nonsense as worthy of consideration. There is a difference between (say) chiropractic, which has some (minimal) plausibility. and say, aroma therapy, which has none.
Being empty headed doesnt seens possible as you describe it, but I have a serious difficulty in understanding the psychologic limitations of other people. Do people like that really exist?

Caroline;84063 wrote:
Yes I can. I saw a documentry once where christians were telling innocent children that if they did not believe in Christianity then they would burn in hell.
I fell sorry for both sides =)

odenskrigare;84126 wrote:

rich I was diagnosed with AS and schizoid personality (i.e., wanting to be myself rather than a slave to society). much of my life has been a mind-wracking uphill battle against teachers, against family, against peers, against pig-headed adults, and against authority figures of all kinds

what you are doing now is trivializing this experience, saying that I'm a conformist rote thinker, that I never experienced this suffering for I had no reason to get in trouble

this is EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE, rich, and I am going to ask you to stop once before appealing to the moderators
While I dont agree that rich should call your world drab, I disagree even more with your reaction to that event. I dont know whenever Rich knew of this piece of your history you just revealed, so I will go down the worse case scenario, that is, he knew:

If he is trivializing that experience, it merely means that what is much for you is not much for him. How that is "extremely offensive" is beyond me.

There is also the possibility he is being false and pretending your experience was lesser than he actually thinks it was in order to hit you or your image in some way, but I see that as extremelly unlikely.

TickTockMan;84197 wrote:
I am unfamiliar with this sigil, Earthman. Explain?
So spacelings have clocks with tick tock too? Cool! =)
 
Psycobabble
 
Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 02:12 am
@ltdaleadergt,
<daleader>;81909 wrote:
I was told by one of my good mate that I am a bad person and I bring shame to my family. My crime, doubting about my religion. I told him I am not longer muslim........and the odd thing was he does all the unislamic things, but the fact that he still think he is a good muslim makes him a better person in his head than me! So that is what he thinks.....


daleader, is that the way you thought when you were a believer, or did you always have doubts that made your views on non believers less strident? Is your mate more interested in the cultural ramifications of your new mind set, or is he concerned that you will not enter heaven. That will give you an idea of his values, and you can judge him on that. He should be trying to save your soul first and foremost.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 06:42 am
@ltdaleadergt,
<daleader>;81909 wrote:
I was told by one of my good mate that I am a bad person and I bring shame to my family. My crime, doubting about my religion. I told him I am not longer muslim........and the odd thing was he does all the unislamic things, but the fact that he still think he is a good muslim makes him a better person in his head than me! So that is what he thinks.....


Isn't that what the suicide-bombers think when they murder innocent people? Religion can drive you crazy.
 
 

 
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 03/03/2024 at 04:10:16