So what makes me bad?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:30 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;83322 wrote:
What are "vibrational movements"

Oh, you know. Whenever one's blood stagnates, one immediately gets vibrational movements. In is called "the stagnated-vibration" syndrome. The Mayo Clinic has a huge study on it.

odenskrigare

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:32 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
My blood stagnated after breakfast and I had a really painful vibrational movement on the toilet Sad

manored

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 11:51 am
@richrf,
richrf;83316 wrote:
Hi manored.

Could be. The body just heals itself if left alone. On the other hand, for me, and my friends/students there are things that seem to work very well, such as massage, cupping, gua sha, which removes blood stagnation. No different than using a plunger on a stopped pipe.
But those involve actual interference with the body, unlike terapies involving only sound/smell/light/etc, so its only natural that they do have some effect independent of one's mind.

richrf

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 12:02 pm
@manored,
manored;83459 wrote:
But those involve actual interference with the body, unlike terapies involving only sound/smell/light/etc, so its only natural that they do have some effect independent of one's mind.

Hi manored,

I like your comments and questions.

Holistic or alternative medicine does not distinguish between mind and body. To affect one is to affect the other.

Some health practices, like massage or herbs, affect the physical more than the mental or spiritual. Others may affect the spiritual more, e.g. meditation. While others may be more mental and relaxing: e.g. certain yoga postures. If someone is sensitive, then certain energetic practices, may have a very deep and healthy effect - e.g. music, aromatheraphy, etc. Each person is different. I use all types depending upon my mood, e.g. Tai Chi, yoga, music, meditation, deep Chinese massage (tuina), cupping, breathing, tennis, golf, etc. They all are part of my life health practices.

Here is an image exemplifying how it all a continuum, by Alex Gray:

http://kundaliniyoga.homestead.com/files/kund_alex_gray.jpg

kennethamy

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 12:16 pm
@richrf,
richrf;83462 wrote:
Hi manored,

Holistic or alternative medicine does not distinguish between mind and body. To affect one is to affect the other.

Some health practices, like massage or herbs, affect the physical more than the mental or spiritual. Others may affect the spiritual more, e.g. meditation. While others may be more mental and relaxing: e.g. certain yoga postures. If someone is sensitive, then certain energetic practices, may have a very deep and healthy effect - e.g. music, aromatheraphy, etc. Each person is different. I use all types depending upon my mood, e.g. Tai Chi, yoga, music, meditation, deep Chinese massage (tuina), cupping, breathing, tennis, golf, etc. They all are part of my life health practices.

And this is the 21st century, too! I suppose that superstition (like the poor) will always be with us.

manored

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 12:45 pm
@kennethamy,
richrf;83462 wrote:
Hi manored,

Ah, this is where we disagree, then. I think the body is just a vessel for the mind, wich is the trully important part of us, and that the connection between the is only sensorial, that is, affecting the body wont affect the mind outside of the sensorial input it will cause the mind to receive. I dont believe in "spirit" or "soul" because the mind fills that role already, and I dont see the necessity of complicating things by adding a third element.

kennethamy;83464 wrote:
And this is the 21st century, too! I suppose that superstition (like the poor) will always be with us.
Whats the relevance of time in this matter, again? =)

I think the 22st century will be the century of the sun, where everone will believe that sunburns and skin-cancer are healthy and will spend their days lying on the streets.

odenskrigare

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 12:47 pm
@kennethamy,
richrf;83462 wrote:
Hi manored,

Oh hey siqq check it out a cool picture, I can post one too

http://elf-legolas.narod.ru/tn/Gondolin.jpghttp://www.immortalthor.net/map-nineworlds.jpg

kennethamy;83464 wrote:

It doesn't have to be that way. I have very high hopes for a brighter future. I for one would hate to rely on things like cupping and aromatherapy if I knew I had to cross a self-healing minefield to fight a hardened corps of neurally augmented screaming berserker shock troops.

richrf

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 01:04 pm
@manored,
manored;83472 wrote:
Ah, this is where we disagree, then. I think the body is just a vessel for the mind, wich is the trully important part of us, and that the connection between the is only sensorial, that is, affecting the body wont affect the mind outside of the sensorial input it will cause the mind to receive. I dont believe in "spirit" or "soul" because the mind fills that role already, and I dont see the necessity of complicating things by adding a third element.

Hi manored,

If you try a thought experiment which brings you to the point that mind/body just touch (i.e. communicate with each other, I think you will find it impossible to distinguish where one begins and one ends.

In quantum physics they call this entanglement. I call it a continuum.

An aspect of the continuum is best expressed as E=mc**2. Now, the question is whether there is a similar expression of mind to energy? I think that quantum physics is on the edge of this, but physics can never embrace this notion until mind can actually be measured, however, there is a notion within quantum physics of observer/observed entanglement which is at the precipice of this line of thinking. But physics cannot dwell in this territory, though many famous quantum physicists such as Bohm and Bernard d' Espagnat do, as part of their philosophical inquiry.

However, I do not need to wait, when it comes to health. Traditions such as Yoga, Tai Chi, Qigong, and many, many others have for centuries have explored and understood this linkage. I have observed that by simply relaxing my mind, I relax my body (this is easily demonstrated), so I infer the continuum or entanglement. It is very helpful to view the complete human being as a continuum of energy.

However, I do respect your point of view.

Rich

odenskrigare

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 01:14 pm
@richrf,
richrf;83474 wrote:
Hi manored,

If you try a thought experiment which brings you to the point that mind/body just touch (i.e. communicate with each other, I think you will find it impossible to distinguish where one begins and one ends.

Quantum entanglement is not what you are describing it as and regardless it's totally irrelevant because processes of the mind are evidently 100% at the much grosser electrochemical level

richrf;83474 wrote:
An aspect of the continuum is best expressed as E=mc**2

Huh now we jump to relativity, is there any of this evil science you actually understand rich

richrf;83474 wrote:
Now, the question is whether there is a similar expression of mind to energy? I think that quantum physics is on the edge of this, but physics can never embrace this notion until mind can actually be measured, however, there is no notion of observer/observed entanglement which is at the precipice of this line of thinking

wat

richrf;83474 wrote:
However, I do not need to wait, when it comes to health. I know that by simply relaxing my mind, I relax my body (this is easily demonstrated), so I infer the continuum or entanglement

That could be the case but it has nothing to do with quantum physics, hope you realize that

manored

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 01:07 pm
@richrf,
richrf;83474 wrote:
What doesnt means they are one and the same, just like its a bit tricky figuring out the exact spot where the bridge ends and the land beggings =)
richrf;83474 wrote:

I think quantum entanglement refers to super-position of realities, not super-position of entities in the same reality

richrf;83474 wrote:

An aspect of the continuum is best expressed as E=mc**2. Now, the question is whether there is a similar expression of mind to energy? I think that quantum physics is on the edge of this, but physics can never embrace this notion until mind can actually be measured, however, there is a notion within quantum physics of observer/observed entanglement which is at the precipice of this line of thinking. But physics cannot dwell in this territory, though many famous quantum physicists such as Bohm and Bernard d' Espagnat do, as part of their philosophical inquiry.
I dont get the relation between that formula, used for mass X energy measurements, and quantum entanglement.

odenskrigare

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 01:12 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
not to put too fine a point upon it but when he isn't haranguing science he's mangling it into abominations of Lovecraftian proportions

I mean idk that is kind of harsh but ask yourself whether I'm calling a spade a spade

manored

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 01:23 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;83622 wrote:
not to put too fine a point upon it but when he isn't haranguing science he's mangling it into abominations of Lovecraftian proportions

I mean idk that is kind of harsh but ask yourself whether I'm calling a spade a spade
He does seen to be mixing things up rather badly, yes.

richrf

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 01:27 pm
@manored,
manored;83621 wrote:
What doesnt means they are one and the same, just like its a bit tricky figuring out the exact spot where the bridge ends and the land beggings =)

Yes, this is always a problem when one things of things as being disconnected. It is like separating a wave from another wave within an ocean. Where does it begin and where does it end? The waves are there, but they are all part of the same ocean. How does one separate that which is connected?

Quote:
I think quantum entanglement refers to super-position of realities, not super-position of entities in the same reality

It is a similar problem to the one above. How does one separate realities and that which composes them. A hologram presents such an issue, where the waves, the light, the material are all entangled to create the hologram.

Quote:
I dont get the relation between that formula, used for mass X energy measurements, and quantum entanglement.

E=mc**2 is quite amazing in that it suggests all matter (which is quite obviously not energy just by touching an feeling it), is energy. Now it is a matter of relating mind/consciousness to energy to that there is a complete mathematical description of the continuum. However, we may have to wait for some time to pass before this may happen.

Rich

odenskrigare

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 01:50 pm
@richrf,
richrf;83625 wrote:
Yes, this is always a problem when one things of things as being disconnected. It is like separating a wave from another wave within an ocean. Where does it begin and where does it end? The waves are there, but they are all part of the same ocean. How does one separate that which is connected?

I'd separate them by peaks and troughs idk bout u bro

richrf;83625 wrote:
E=mc**2 is quite amazing in that it suggests all matter (which is quite obviously not energy just by touching an feeling it), is energy

It's equivalent to energy

richrf;83625 wrote:
Now it is a matter of relating mind/consciousness to energy to that there is a complete mathematical description of the continuum

Neuroscience

manored

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 10:18 am
@richrf,
richrf;83625 wrote:
Draw a line somewhere in the middle =)

richrf;83625 wrote:

E=mc**2 is quite amazing in that it suggests all matter (which is quite obviously not energy just by touching an feeling it), is energy. Now it is a matter of relating mind/consciousness to energy to that there is a complete mathematical description of the continuum. However, we may have to wait for some time to pass before this may happen.
Its confusing to refer to the mathematical formula rather than the teory itself =)

I dont quite get what you mean by "continuum"

richrf

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 11:24 am
@manored,
manored;83774 wrote:
Draw a line somewhere in the middle =)

Its confusing to refer to the mathematical formula rather than the teory itself =)

I dont quite get what you mean by "continuum"

By a continuum I mean there is no separation between consciousness/mind - energy - matter. It is all the same, but say that one is more dense than the other. So consciousness condenses into energy and energy condenses into matter. I visual would be similar to the relationship between vapor-water-ice. Everything is the same, but just in a different form.

Rich

TickTockMan

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 11:41 am
@richrf,
I've posted this link here before, but I think it might be worthwhile to re-post for review in light of the current discussion:

Critical Thinking Field Guide (Skeptical Inquirer Winter 1990)

odenskrigare

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 11:42 am
@richrf,
richrf;83788 wrote:
By a continuum I mean there is no separation between consciousness/mind - energy - matter. It is all the same, but say that one is more dense than the other. So consciousness condenses into energy

um ...

wait ...

what?

---------- Post added 08-17-2009 at 02:07 PM ----------

TickTockMan;83792 wrote:
I've posted this link here before, but I think it might be worthwhile to re-post for review in light of the current discussion:

you don't get it do you

you're not supposed to criticize other people's views you meanie

who are you to criticize what works for other people

the only views that should be criticized are those based on strictly what we can actually observe

that is, factual views

richrf

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 12:08 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;83792 wrote:

Actually, I have always been skeptical of authors such as this one. Who the heck is his audience for this article?

There is no proof of existence.

There is no proof of free will.

There is no proof that anything he is writing has any effect on anyone.

There is no proof of consciousness.

There is absolutely no proof that there is someone that can react to what he is saying. So why the heck is he even saying anything? What a mess. I think the author is just assuming that there in some way his article to affect someone with absolutely no proof. Can we write a warning against this article? This author is all over the place.

Rich

odenskrigare

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 12:20 pm
@richrf,
richrf;83798 wrote:
Actually, I have always been skeptical of authors such as this one. Who the heck is his audience for this article?

There is no proof of existence.

There is no proof of free will.

There is no proof that anything he is writing has any effect on anyone.

There is no proof of consciousness.

Rich are you talking about the same article as the rest of us here in Realityland?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 04:07:50