Infinite Bliss

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Aedes

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 06:46 pm
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist;41720 wrote:
no you are just unable to support your opinions and want to look smart
I can support my opinions with a lot more than Wikipedia. It's just not worth my time.

Lantos, Paul M. - DukeHealth.org

Abolitionist

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 06:47 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I can support my opinions with a lot more than Wikipedia. It's just not worth my time.

Lantos, Paul M. - DukeHealth.org

that remains to be demonstrated

your position certainly doesn't qualify your opinions - no one cares if you think it's worth your time - your self importance is over exaggerated in this context

thankfully those at this forum are able to think for themselves and prefer not to simply be told truths by experts...

William

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 07:12 pm
@Abolitionist,
Is it just me and my personal interpretation that happiness and pleasure are too very distinct human experiences. Happiness being more internal and of the mind, where as pleasure is more a response to the external and a manifestation through the physical senses. I cannot see where the two are alike. I can be happy without experiencing pleasure and on the same token I can feel pleasure without it having anything to do with whether or not I am happy.
Someone help me out here. What do I think? Ha.:perplexed: Am I on track, or what.
William

Aedes

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 07:32 pm
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist;41722 wrote:
thankfully those at this forum are able to think for themselves and prefer not to simply be told truths by experts...
I agree, and perhaps it's lazy of me to not take the time to pull MedLine references for every point on which I disagree with you. But it takes a lot of time, as I know since I need to do it for other things all the time. And when you respond with fantastical statements derived from Wikipedia references (of all things), it's kind of hard for me to justify taking the time.

If you are open minded, and if as I suspect you and I more or less share the same ethical priorities, I'd be happy to complement your ideas with references -- supportive when I agree with you and refutative when I don't.

But you do need to take a step back from what you think you know about science and medicine, because the degree of complexity, controversy, chaos, and lack of consensus in it is daunting no matter how much of an expert one is. I have been doing this a long time, and I know what I don't know about medicine. I don't think you do. You can't. I had no idea before I entered the clinical years of my training. And as encouraged as I am by our medical advances, I'm equally sobered by the things we just cannot do, the times we're wrong, and the times that the complexity is just beyond what we'll ever surmount.

You're a student in philosophy. I'm a dilettante with an interest, who took a couple philosophy and related classes as an undergraduate, and who has done a lot of self-study but hardly formally. So as a trained philosophy scholar you would react the same to me if I made as bold statements about philosophy as you have about the field in which I have expertise.

Check that -- I HAVE made such bold statements. We discussed one of them in the "disrespect of philosophy" thread. But I'll back down if really challenged on that -- I'm willing to concede to the perspectives of those who have greater expertise than I.

Abolitionist

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 07:51 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I agree, and perhaps it's lazy of me to not take the time to pull MedLine references for every point on which I disagree with you. But it takes a lot of time, as I know since I need to do it for other things all the time. And when you respond with fantastical statements derived from Wikipedia references (of all things), it's kind of hard for me to justify taking the time.

If you are open minded, and if as I suspect you and I more or less share the same ethical priorities, I'd be happy to complement your ideas with references -- supportive when I agree with you and refutative when I don't.

But you do need to take a step back from what you think you know about science and medicine, because the degree of complexity, controversy, chaos, and lack of consensus in it is daunting no matter how much of an expert one is. I have been doing this a long time, and I know what I don't know about medicine. I don't think you do. You can't. I had no idea before I entered the clinical years of my training. And as encouraged as I am by our medical advances, I'm equally sobered by the things we just cannot do, the times we're wrong, and the times that the complexity is just beyond what we'll ever surmount.

You're a student in philosophy. I'm a dilettante with an interest, who took a couple philosophy and related classes as an undergraduate, and who has done a lot of self-study but hardly formally. So as a trained philosophy scholar you would react the same to me if I made as bold statements about philosophy as you have about the field in which I have expertise.

Check that -- I HAVE made such bold statements. We discussed one of them in the "disrespect of philosophy" thread. But I'll back down if really challenged on that -- I'm willing to concede to the perspectives of those who have greater expertise than I.

let's just debate the issues directly

and create separate topics for them

the whole point of this post was initially my personal introduction and I've patiently addressed your hidden concerns with my percieved value system

but really, this topic has become unmanagable

what is happiness has nothing to do with my introduction

nor does the definition for pleasure

nor my percieved knowledge that goes untested out of posturing

-------

I guess I'm doing this for the practice and to establish that I can hold my own (via continuing this specific topic) but really it's time the mod stepped in and kept a clean forum so that it's more valuable and clear

when new primates enter a group they are inevitably given tests by other primates to determine their place within the hierarchy - that's what is happening here guys

Aedes

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 08:00 pm
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist;41731 wrote:
I guess I'm doing this for the practice and to establish that I can hold my own (via continuing this specific topic) but really it's time the mod stepped in and kept a clean forum so that it's more valuable and clear
I am a moderator here. Our practice is to generally let things run their course unless it gets too destructive. Of course I try not to do to much moderating of threads I participate in, and my fellow mods do the same. But if you'd like to end the thread and start new ones on particular topics, it's your own thread and I can close it for you.

Quote:
when new primates enter a group they are inevitably given tests by other primates to determine their place within the hierarchy - that's what is happening here guys
Hardly. It's not a hierarchy. There is no hazing process. But I can tell you that getting through arguments here with congeniality, positivity, and friendliness makes a strong impression on everyone. And I believe that this is in your character. So thank you.

Abolitionist

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 08:04 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I am a moderator here. Our practice is to generally let things run their course unless it gets too destructive. Of course I try not to do to much moderating of threads I participate in, and my fellow mods do the same. But if you'd like to end the thread and start new ones on particular topics, it's your own thread and I can close it for you.

Hardly. It's not a hierarchy. There is no hazing process. But I can tell you that getting through arguments here with congeniality, positivity, and friendliness makes a strong impression on everyone. And I believe that this is in your character. So thank you.

you are welcome to respond to my introduction

but specific issues that require lengthy debate should be individual topics

Abolitionist

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:26 pm
@Abolitionist,
let's start a debate about vaccines vs. immunizations or about the prospect of boosting the bodys own immunse system rather than interjecting foreign objects to create specific antibodies

as well as a debate topic about genetic screening

and one about the definition of happiness

I'm happy to demonstrate my knowledge about my recommendations

xris

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 08:33 am
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist wrote:
language is abstract symbolism

and in order for us to communicate and understand each other we must have common language

I wrote more about this here;

The Abolitionist Society :: View topic - Definition of happiness?
Language maybe abstract but happiness by what language can only describe does not change its meaning by language being abstract..Everything described by language is abstract?.:perplexed:

Abolitionist

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 11:15 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Language maybe abstract but happiness by what language can only describe does not change its meaning by language being abstract..Everything described by language is abstract?.:perplexed:

d'oh!

language isn't useful if it isn't well defined - so it should be well defined

what is subjectively percieved as good cannot be accurately defined objectively - only symbolically represented

that's why I think that rights should allow us to seek with is subjectively good and avoid what is subjectively bad and to allow us to continue or end this process if we desire

happiness is a word that is not well defined and can have many meanings

for example;

are you happy?

and how happy are you? require separate meanings for the word

check out my forum thread here;

The Abolitionist Society :: View topic - Definition of happiness?

happiness is a subjective report about subjective status within subjective context

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 06:07 am
@Abolitionist,
Well many think that the afterlife or heaven is full of eternal ecstasy and bliss. This is of course nonsense as you must know the negative to appreciate the positive.

Life and life beyond death is a process of everlasting learning and challenge not sitting on a cloud playing a harp forever.

After a week that bliss would become a boring hell

Abolitionist

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:58 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
Well many think that the afterlife or heaven is full of eternal ecstasy and bliss. This is of course nonsense as you must know the negative to appreciate the positive.

Life and life beyond death is a process of everlasting learning and challenge not sitting on a cloud playing a harp forever.

After a week that bliss would become a boring hell

why do you think there is an 'afterlife'?

Why would bliss be boring unless it wasn't bliss?

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 05:46 am
@Abolitionist,
Quote:

why do you think there is an 'afterlife'?

Why would bliss be boring unless it wasn't bliss?

I do not think there is an afterlife I know there is. I have been clinically dead due to suicide attempt and came back with my story

But I have learned my lesson and will not detail what I experienced due to receiving vitriolic ridicule.

Bliss would change into hell. eat a lovely meal and you will enjoy it especially if you were hungry.

But have that same meal forced down your throat day and night and just the sight of it will make you sick?

Abolitionist

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:07 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
I do not think there is an afterlife I know there is. I have been clinically dead due to suicide attempt and came back with my story

But I have learned my lesson and will not detail what I experienced due to receiving vitriolic ridicule.

Bliss would change into hell. eat a lovely meal and you will enjoy it especially if you were hungry.

But have that same meal forced down your throat day and night and just the sight of it will make you sick?

I won't ridicule you for having beliefs, that is a personal choice. However I would challenge the theory you present that near death experiences are evidence of an afterlife.

OK, our present design ensures that nothing is good for long. We are talking about changing this design. There is no universal law that we must suffer - it's simply a symptom of darwinian design.

However, we won't be able to change this overnight.

There is an example of an existing technology that can be used to overcome the anhedonic homeostatic mechanisms of our design;

direct electrical stimulation of the pleasure centers remains pleasurable subjectively as long as the current is applied - you don't get bored of it or sick of it.

xris

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:20 am
@Abolitionist,
If we make the brave assumption that there is an afterlife and i to think its possible through personal experiences, you then have to design this life that fits your logic.It then also means either this life must have a purpose or is it natural cycle of nature.It does no follow that this afterlife is eternal as we creatures of time understand time.The older i get the more time appears to move so much faster so can it also slow? We are living for the instance and time is not relevant or is there is a time when we move from the individual experience to universal one..We are but one , we could be the dissipation of one consciousness brought back to one..We can only speculate but never know until we return..As you see I like speculating on this subject.

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 10:30 am
@Abolitionist,
XRIS

Nice post , I think we are like separate intelligent water molecules that make the Great Ocean Oneness. This is a question I directed at the being of light during my NDE and was told our awareness of self never dissolves into the great ocean of Oneness

You always remain you, but have a greater awareness as you become merged and linked into the divine mind.

During my experience I seemed to have become god, for that brief moment I knew all knowledge. I begged to remember what I SAW but forgot most of it when I returned to my body

xris

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 10:43 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
XRIS

Nice post , I think we are like separate intelligent water molecules that make the Great Ocean Oneness. This is a question I directed at the being of light during my NDE and was told our awareness of self never dissolves into the great ocean of Oneness

You always remain you, but have a greater awareness as you become merged and linked into the divine mind.

During my experience I seemed to have become god, for that brief moment I knew all knowledge. I begged to remember what I SAW but forgot most of it when I returned to my body
We can never be sure of any of our musing Alan or be certain our experience reveal what we vehemently believe to be true. I think we may be lucky that we have the quandary of logic and experience.We could be one day hosting the whole of mankind's experiences and the elation we have lived as individuals and are now as one.Its a bit strange how even though we both believe the possibility of an afterlife we dont agree on the concept of god.

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:23 pm
@Abolitionist,
XRIS,
Quote:
We can never be sure of any of our musing Alan or be certain our experience reveal what we vehemently believe to be true. I think we may be lucky that we have the quandary of logic and experience.We could be one day hosting the whole of mankind's experiences and the elation we have lived as individuals and are now as one.Its a bit strange how even though we both believe the possibility of an afterlife we dont agree on the concept of god.

XRIS what is your concept of God forgive me

xris

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:24 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
XRIS,

XRIS what is your concept of God forgive me
I have none but sneaky suspicion he is not listening.A creative urge has no thoughts but has energy..compassion has no power of deduction, love has more power than a galaxy..To be does not have to be known, has no name and cant be conceived of..

Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 11:10 am
@Abolitionist,
XRIS

You are much closer to the TRUTH that you are aware of. God has no name, god is the "essence that pervades all existence".

In quantum mechanics there is no separation , ever particle in the universe known, somehow what another particle is doing even if separated by a billion light years. This is a scientific fact and you should check it out.

The best description for the intelligent energy that pervades all existence is THE EVER EXISTING ONE WHO IS NAMELESS

Because of this interconnectiveness combined with the fact that that which pervades all existence can hear you and is never separate from you. You are God but at the same time you are you

You are made of this indestructable essence that is why you never die, only pass to a higher form or dimension, realm of new reality

God is simply a title we give for this entity that is beyond understanding

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 09:38:02