Infinite Bliss

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Abolitionist

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:11 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:
abolistionist, if you have more to add, don't post as a separate comment, you can amend your original post by edit if no other member has posted after your initial post.

why? does it appear to make me more dominant and more threatening?

Aedes

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:26 pm
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist;41469 wrote:
No, it's just our policy.

I've merged your posts for you. That minimizes needless suffering and increases happiness.

Edit -- Justin was merging them simultaneously.

Justin

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:34 pm
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist wrote:

Because there is both a multi-quote button available for quoting multiple posts and you have the ability to edit and add to your existing post. Most forums do not allow multi posting one right after another and in this forum we carry on the same policy. Most of the times it's not an issue, mods will just merge them. In this case, it was 4 posts, one right after another. No harm done it's been fixed. :bigsmile:

xris

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:37 pm
@Abolitionist,
So pleasure equals happiness..ask the smoker the alcoholic the drug taker, all very pleasurable pursuits but happiness i dont think so..The brain, the instrument for our contact with this world..i suppose when you listen to the radio you think it a very clever thing creating all that music, dont poke its bits it makes an awful noise..

Abolitionist

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:45 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
No, it's just our policy.

I've merged your posts for you. That minimizes needless suffering and increases happiness.

Edit -- Justin was merging them simultaneously.

I find it easier to read a topic whereby each point is made clear in a separate fashion and there are not posts that contain multiple quotes and points to debate, it gets too confusing

xris wrote:
So pleasure equals happiness..ask the smoker the alcoholic the drug taker, all very pleasurable pursuits but happiness i dont think so..The brain, the instrument for our contact with this world..i suppose when you listen to the radio you think it a very clever thing creating all that music, dont poke its bits it makes an awful noise..

are you defining happiness in terms of lifelong gross individual pleasure measured over time?

or is happiness a state whereby you would tell others that you feel relatively good

it's not like happiness is cut and dry, there is a continuum of happiness and sadness if you use that terminology

sad = pain, happy = pleasure

so that if you say you are sad, you subjectively report feeling more pain than pleasure

and if happy you are feeling more pleasure than pain

-------------

or is happiness a relative state of pleasure whereby you are less likely to complain and more likely to express joy?

----------------

neither pleasure or happiness are well defined in terms of biological activity

is there any definition of happiness that is based upon observable phenomenon?

-----------------

I'm guessing that you think that David and I are advocating that people do things that only make them feel relatively pleasurable for a short period of time in sacrifice of long term pleasure

or that you are concerned that we are promoting the value of pleasures that would ulitimately cause more pain overall according to some projection

is this the case?

Pangloss

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:03 pm
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist;41451 wrote:
of course, i just recently came here to debate the prime ethical directive, I haven't had a chance to offer any specific policies, though there are many at my website

my ethic is that people should decide for themselves what happiness and suffering are

we can't measure happiness or suffering that's why human rights should be implemented to allow us to pursue happiness and alleviate suffering as we choose

this is very different from current practice

That's nice, but you haven't addressed my concerns from that post:

Pangloss;41309 wrote:
First, you might try to define "happiness" and "suffering", and then convince us why it is good to always have the former and not the latter. How would we even measure happiness without suffering, suffering without happiness?

If we don't even know what "happiness" or "suffering" are, as you yourself seem to admit, then how can we determine that there should be a prime ethical directive to work towards people being as "happy" as possible? My happiness might be your suffering, or vice versa.

Do you not realize that some of your ideas are a bit "scary", in that you want all humans to be leading very long, very happy lives, by, as you suggested in another post, eliminating "bad" genes, and creating a world government? You know "absolute power corrupts absolutely", and many states have been ruined by tyranny and despair after having been conceived on some principles similar to yours, which are, in theory, designed to "help" all of humanity.

Thoreau wrote:
"If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life."

xris

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:08 pm
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist wrote:
are you defining happiness in terms of lifelong gross individual pleasure measured over time?

or is happiness a state whereby you would tell others that you feel relatively good

it's not like happiness is cut and dry, there is a continuum of happiness and sadness if you use that terminology

sad = pain, happy = pleasure

so that if you say you are sad, you subjectively report feeling more pain than pleasure

and if happy you are feeling more pleasure than pain

-------------

or is happiness a relative state of pleasure whereby you are less likely to complain and more likely to express joy?

----------------

neither pleasure or happiness are well defined in terms of biological activity

is there any definition of happiness that is based upon observable phenomenon?

-----------------

I'm guessing that you think that David and I are advocating that people do things that only make them feel relatively pleasurable for a short period of time in sacrifice of long term pleasure

or that you are concerned that we are promoting the value of pleasures that would ulitimately cause more pain overall according to some projection

is this the case?
Im not defining pleasure or happiness..im merely pointing out your mistake in confusing pleasure with happiness..Pleasure does not equal happiness..Happiness gives us pleasure but pleasure does not necessarily bring happiness.Stick a pin in my arm and im very happy when you stop..Physical happiness is it pleasure..doing good is it pleasure or is it self induced happiness..I think thats why the english language has the two words..

Abolitionist

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:11 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:
That's nice, but you haven't addressed my concerns from that post:

If we don't even know what "happiness" or "suffering" are, as you yourself seem to admit, then how can we determine that there should be a prime ethical directive to work towards people being as "happy" as possible? My happiness might be your suffering, or vice versa.

Do you not realize that some of your ideas are a bit "scary", in that you want all humans to be leading very long, very happy lives, by, as you suggested in another post, eliminating "bad" genes, and creating a world government? You know "absolute power corrupts absolutely", and many states have been ruined by tyranny and despair after having been conceived on some principles similar to yours, which are, in theory, designed to "help" all of humanity.

we cannot define happiness and suffering for others, that's why the ethical directive clearly states;

1. the elimination of involuntary suffering - meaning that an individual decides for themselves which pain is unwanted
2. the maximization of voluntary happiness - mean that an individual is allow to pursue happiness as they choose

why is the elimination of known bad genes scary?

world government is necessary to eliminate nationalistic wars, however it doesn't mean that we can't have decentralization and localized laws

we should debate these issues separately from the ethical directive, they are just my ideas about how it might best be accomplished

xris

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:19 pm
Abolitionist wrote:
you can't confuse something that isn't defined

you are working with a defintion of happiness and pleasure -but not consciously

until happiness is defined the debate is meaningless

is happiness a state of getting what you want? isn't pleasure what you want?
happiness is a state of mind induced by all manner of things..pleasure can be anything that you want it to be..

Abolitionist

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:23 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
happiness is a state of mind induced by all manner of things..pleasure can be anything that you want it to be..

but if we are debating abstract concepts they must first be clearly defined

what defines the state of mind known as happiness?

is pleasure anything that feels subjectively good?

is happiness a subjective state whereby we would report feeling more good than bad overall?

xris wrote:
Im not defining pleasure or happiness..im merely pointing out your mistake in confusing pleasure with happiness..Pleasure does not equal happiness..Happiness gives us pleasure but pleasure does not necessarily bring happiness.Stick a pin in my arm and im very happy when you stop..Physical happiness is it pleasure..doing good is it pleasure or is it self induced happiness..I think thats why the english language has the two words..

until happiness and pleasure are defined the debate is meaningless

is happiness a state of getting what you want? isn't voluntary pleasure and avoidance of involuntary pain what you want?

Pangloss

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:31 pm
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist;41490 wrote:
we cannot define happiness and suffering for others, that's why the ethical directive clearly states;

1. the elimination of involuntary suffering - meaning that an individual decides for themselves which pain is unwanted
2. the maximization of voluntary happiness - mean that an individual is allow to pursue happiness as they choose

Yes, this "directive" then clearly states that people should be able to eliminate their "suffering", whatever that suffering might be, and that they should be able to maximize their "happiness", whatever that happiness might be. So, if it is all subjective, how would anybody else know if they are truly allowing for someone's happiness or for their suffering? And if we just allow people to completely define their own happiness and suffering, then how do we mitigate the inevitable conflicts that will come about when my happiness interferes with your happiness? It seems that our current system already does a pretty good job at this, though it is imperfect, it has some absolute principles that we can fall back on. Your directive as you have so far defined it, contradicts itself, because of the inherently relativist nature of the things you wish to define and control. It can not be a real "directive" without some absolute principles.

Quote:
why is the elimination of known bad genes scary?

The Nazis said the same thing about eugenics...

Quote:
world government is necessary to eliminate nationalistic wars, however it doesn't mean that we can't have decentralization and localized laws

Decentralized, right. When has that ever stood the test of time? Someone will always seize power, and when that time comes, I'd rather see a nationalistic war fought to disperse that power than an entire globe of people falling into submission.

Abolitionist

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:41 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:
Yes, this "directive" then clearly states that people should be able to eliminate their "suffering", whatever that suffering might be, and that they should be able to maximize their "happiness", whatever that happiness might be. So, if it is all subjective, how would anybody else know if they are truly allowing for someone's happiness or for their suffering? And if we just allow people to completely define their own happiness and suffering, then how do we mitigate the inevitable conflicts that will come about when my happiness interferes with your happiness? It seems that our current system already does a pretty good job at this, though it is imperfect, it has some absolute principles that we can fall back on. Your directive as you have so far defined it, contradicts itself, because of the inherently relativist nature of the things you wish to define and control. It can not be a real "directive" without some absolute principles.

they could tell us because suffering and happiness are subjective reports about wanted or unwanted experience, and yes people will do things that cause unwanted experience for others

the way we can mitigate the conflict is to determine inherent rights - so that you can be protected against someone who wants to kill you as their pursuit of happiness because it is your right to live

defining rights determines how we should enforce laws - by determining what should be protected, or what is reasonable to protect

Pangloss wrote:
The Nazis said the same thing about eugenics...

Decentralized, right. When has that ever stood the test of time? Someone will always seize power, and when that time comes, I'd rather see a nationalistic war fought to disperse that power than an entire globe of people falling into submission.

decentralized world government is superior to nationalistic competition, because;

1. absense of nationalistic wars

2. absense of nationalistic scientific secrecy

3. absense of spying and disrupting of foreign governments

4. less need to spend on defense and more resources to combat involuntary suffering and death

even with nationalism, nations still try to rule the world and disrupt other nations.

true we need to preven totalitarianism by a globalist elite, but i think decentralization is the best way to do this

---------

there is a long list of known bad genes which are not disputed by anyone and have nothing to do with cultural determinations, they are medical determinations, here is the list;

List of genetic disorders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

can anyone say that any of these defined disorders are just cultural determinations and not medical determinations

I think we have a good international consensus, that we have the maturity to distinguish between cultural and medical definitions.

Aedes

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:56 pm
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist;41505 wrote:
there is a long list of known bad genes which are not disputed by anyone and have nothing to do with cultural determinations, they are medical determinations, here is the list
There are a lot more than that. I've had patients who have had never before described genetic disorders. You can't screen for all of them, I mean the entire sequencing of the human genome hasn't been done with enough human subjects to make a reference for all possible genetic lesions. Some rare genetic diseases come from consanguinity (intermarriage) and some of them are freak events. The hospital where I did my fellowship, which is one of the best known children's hospitals in the world, received children from all corners of the globe to be evaluated for these rare genetic diseases. We saw many patients, particularly from the middle east, who came from small towns in which intermarriage is common, and these kids had diseases that could only be genetically diagnosed in research labs -- no clinical lab on earth can diagnose them.

Targeted screening is the best option. In other words, screen for things that are reasonably common, because (for instance) if you add up all the mitochondrial disorders in the world it's STILL less than the number of people with sickle cell disease.

You also need to screen targeted populations. For example, there is no need to screen white people for sickle cell disease, but you should definitely screen white people for cystic fibrosis. There is no need to screen black people for CF, but you should definitely screen them for sickle cell.

It makes sense to screen all pregnant women with a triple or quad screen and prenatal ultrasound for neural tube defects and Down syndrome. It does not make sense to do amniocentesis, however, until women are over 35 and the risk of amnio becomes lower than the risk of Down.

It doesn't make sense to genetically screen for Turner syndrome or X-linked agammaglobulinemia or Job's syndrome. These things are uncommon, and while important to know about, it will be no more cost effective to screen for them prenatally than to screen for higher yield things and deal with XLA or Job's or Turner postnatally when they declare themselves. And since they are clinically variable, it's worth watching and waiting sometimes.

xris

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 07:19 am
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist wrote:
but if we are debating abstract concepts they must first be clearly defined

what defines the state of mind known as happiness?

is pleasure anything that feels subjectively good?

is happiness a subjective state whereby we would report feeling more good than bad overall?

until happiness and pleasure are defined the debate is meaningless

is happiness a state of getting what you want? isn't voluntary pleasure and avoidance of involuntary pain what you want?
Ive defined it to my satisfaction but obviously not yours..Its not an abstract notion..its either a desire quenched by action or a feeling of elation.

Abolitionist

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 04:49 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
There are a lot more than that. I've had patients who have had never before described genetic disorders. You can't screen for all of them, I mean the entire sequencing of the human genome hasn't been done with enough human subjects to make a reference for all possible genetic lesions. Some rare genetic diseases come from consanguinity (intermarriage) and some of them are freak events. The hospital where I did my fellowship, which is one of the best known children's hospitals in the world, received children from all corners of the globe to be evaluated for these rare genetic diseases. We saw many patients, particularly from the middle east, who came from small towns in which intermarriage is common, and these kids had diseases that could only be genetically diagnosed in research labs -- no clinical lab on earth can diagnose them.

Targeted screening is the best option. In other words, screen for things that are reasonably common, because (for instance) if you add up all the mitochondrial disorders in the world it's STILL less than the number of people with sickle cell disease.

You also need to screen targeted populations. For example, there is no need to screen white people for sickle cell disease, but you should definitely screen white people for cystic fibrosis. There is no need to screen black people for CF, but you should definitely screen them for sickle cell.

It makes sense to screen all pregnant women with a triple or quad screen and prenatal ultrasound for neural tube defects and Down syndrome. It does not make sense to do amniocentesis, however, until women are over 35 and the risk of amnio becomes lower than the risk of Down.

It doesn't make sense to genetically screen for Turner syndrome or X-linked agammaglobulinemia or Job's syndrome. These things are uncommon, and while important to know about, it will be no more cost effective to screen for them prenatally than to screen for higher yield things and deal with XLA or Job's or Turner postnatally when they declare themselves. And since they are clinically variable, it's worth watching and waiting sometimes.

I agree that we don't have the ability to screen for all known genetic disease currently. However it's likely to be possible very soon.

I also agree that in the interim we should focus on screening for the diseases that we think are most likely to appear in individual cases.

Soon we'll be able to check for all known disorders before an embryo is implanted, and we can update the list of bad genes to screen for with new discoveries - just like we update our antivirus programs.

Abolitionist

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 04:50 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Ive defined it to my satisfaction but obviously not yours..Its not an abstract notion..its either a desire quenched by action or a feeling of elation.

language is abstract symbolism

and in order for us to communicate and understand each other we must have common language

I wrote more about this here;

The Abolitionist Society :: View topic - Definition of happiness?

Aedes

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:06 pm
@Abolitionist,
Abolitionist;41698 wrote:
Soon we'll be able to check for all known disorders before an embryo is implanted
That's not going to ever happen. EVER. You can write it down.

Quote:
just like we update our antivirus programs.
I'm not even sure what you mean here -- and this is my area of professional expertise. We are hopelessly losing the battle to invent antivirals against influenza, since we only have M2 inhibitors (amantidine and rimantidine) and neuraminidase inhibitors (like tamiflu) and now 99% of the circulating H3N2 this years is resistant to tamiflu; we have NO antivirals that are clinically active against the majority of viruses that cause human infection; and we're barely holding our own against HIV and Hepatitis B and C. Basically only herpesviruses mutate slowly enough for us to have a stable group of drugs.

Abolitionist

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 06:08 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
That's not going to ever happen. EVER. You can write it down.

I'm not even sure what you mean here -- and this is my area of professional expertise. We are hopelessly losing the battle to invent antivirals against influenza, since we only have M2 inhibitors (amantidine and rimantidine) and neuraminidase inhibitors (like tamiflu) and now 99% of the circulating H3N2 this years is resistant to tamiflu; we have NO antivirals that are clinically active against the majority of viruses that cause human infection; and we're barely holding our own against HIV and Hepatitis B and C. Basically only herpesviruses mutate slowly enough for us to have a stable group of drugs.

we are already working towards making a singular test for embryos before implantation that will screen for all known diseases and unreasonable predisposition towards disease

can you explain why you think that this technology is inherently impossible?

I was simply making an analogy to antivirus programs - once we get screening implemented we can update the list of genes to screen for as new knowledge becomes available

-------

perhaps we should focus on improving the body's own immune system function rather than trying to study all bugs and invenst drugs for them individually as it takes time to test and bring them to market

however as technology progresses we may be able to find ways to dramatically speed up the procress by which we identify viruses and then provide a way for the immune system to more quickly recognize and eliminate them on it's own

Antibody - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia we can learn to quickly identify and produce antibodies for viruses rather than make vaccines which are harmful and ineffective

Improving the immune systems ability to make antibodies is another approach

Ultimately vaccines are old technology, nonspecific sensitization is a bad idea

Immunizations which are specific however, are a good idea

Aedes

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 06:38 pm
@Abolitionist,
I'm going to buck out of this thread, because Abolitionist, with all due respect, your ideas reveal nearly no understanding at all of medicine, of medical science, of immunology, of genetics, and you have tremendous difficulty differentiating science fiction and fantasy from reality. If you had even a shred of humility about medicine, you'd understand that people who have spent their entire careers in the field don't make claims with the brazen confidence you do.

I am board certified and fellowship trained in the medical subspecialty that provides consultation and subspecialty expertise on vaccines and on antibodies, and I trained in a department that has had Nobel Prize winners in this field. So I have to tell you that Wikipedia isn't going to expand my world very much.

Have fun.

Abolitionist

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 06:45 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I'm going to buck out of this thread, because Abolitionist, with all due respect, your ideas reveal nearly no understanding at all of medicine, of medical science, of immunology, of genetics, and you have tremendous difficulty differentiating science fiction and fantasy from reality. I myself use antibodies diagnostically on a daily basis and I provide subspecialty consultation in antibody disorders -- so don't give me wikipedia articles.

Have fun.

no you are just unable to support your opinions and want to look smart

you can't qualify your opinion by saying that you are too apathetic to debate

adios

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 08:44:41