Who is you favorite philosopher and why?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 12:46 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
First, my favorite philosopher of all time is Plato. I learned to read ancient Greek because of Plato, and I find his dialogues to be rather fun to run through on a rainy day, or as an extreme form of mental exercise by trudging through the Greek, and coming up with my own translation with use of a dictionary and grammar.

My current favorite philosopher, though, is Noam Chomsky. A renowned linguist and an acclaimed social and political philosopher, I find all of his work to be quite thought provoking.

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 12:52 pm
@Theaetetus,
Chomsky is Politically Polemic and his linguistic theory although genius and revolutionary, is severelly anglocentric. But he sure is fun to read!

TranscendHumanit

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 01:52 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
I like Max Stirner, because he understand the all value comes from individual person. Nobody else do that, they all talk about 'duty' or 'humanity' or something like that.

I also like Ludwig von Mises, who economist but say thing very close to what Stirner says.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 02:05 pm
@bartese,
bartese;149635 wrote:
... and therefore not established by "essence" or "necessity," as you had formerly claimed. Now we're getting somewhere.

So the remaining question is: What exactly is the convenience or purpose that this distinction serves?

I'm genuinely interested in your answer to this question. What important thing does this distinction preserve? What would be lost if we simply merged the Philosophy and literature sections of the book store (renaming the section "Speculation," if you like?)

You've heard my theory about this question. The traditional, artificial distinction exists to "protect" philosophy -- to maintain the illusion that it is uncontaminated by the tools by which fiction seeks the Truth (if and when it does so) -- the tools of metaphor, analogy, embedded trope, etc., used by all philosophy, without exception; to maintain the illusion that philosophy is "closer" to truth than literature.

Chess is a convention (not found in nature) but it is a necessary truth that in chess the king is checkmated iff it is in check, but has no legal move. Why can't there be necessary truths concerning conventions? So, you seem to be mistaken about that. Would you say that physics claims to be closer to the truth than literature. Or, would you object to that, too?

As I said, it is not a convenience, it is a convention. If we merged the two sections of books, then people who were looking for history books, but found them mixed among the physics books would be most annoyed, since it would be difficult for them to find what they wanted. And the same goes for literature and philosophy. And literature does not pretend to give us knowledge (except in some metaphorical way). Philosophy does (or rather, should). Even if the distinction is motivated in order to protect physics, it is still true that physics tries to achieve truth and say, basket weaving does not. And the same goes for philosophy and for literature. Your theory of motivation is fascinating, and, might be true (although I doubt it) in any case, I don't see how we can tell whether it is. But it is irrelevant in any case.

bartese

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:36 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;149682 wrote:
Chess is a convention (not found in nature) but it is a necessary truth that in chess the king is checkmated iff it is in check, but has no legal move. Why can't there be necessary truths concerning conventions? So, you seem to be mistaken about that. Would you say that physics claims to be closer to the truth than literature. Or, would you object to that, too?

We seem to have gone afield of the original assertion:
Quote:
Oh yes, philosophy does use analogy and so on. But that is not of its essence, and it need not. It is of the essence of literature to do that.
It seems pretty clear you had more than "convention" in mind here.

It doesn't matter, though, since it's not true in any case. There is no level at which philosophy somehow gets beyond trope and metaphor. These are embedded just as deeply in its discourse as it is in any literary text.

Quote:
And literature does not pretend to give us knowledge (except in some metaphorical way). Philosophy does (or rather, should).
Really? What does it mean to say that The Symposium, for instance, gives us "knowledge," but War and Peace does not?

In what way is War and Peace reliant on metaphor, but The Symposium is not? One could easily argue that the latter makes much greater and more frequent use of metaphor than the former.

The only reason philosophy tends to brand literature as "metaphor" -- as if philosophy is not equally constituted by it -- is to suggest, falsely, that literature is at a greater "remove" from reality and truth.

Dosed

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 02:21 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
Martin Heidegger is most definitely my favorite.

His book Being and Time spoke to me in a way that no book -philosophical or otherwise- has ever spoken to me. It opened my eyes to a new perspective on what it means to be that was both terrifying and comforting at the same time. Reading it was an experience that basically changed my life and made me feel safe in philosophy.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 03:58 pm
@bartese,
bartese;149752 wrote:
It seems pretty clear you had more than "convention" in mind here.

It doesn't matter, though, since it's not true in any case. There is no level at which philosophy somehow gets beyond trope and metaphor. These are embedded just as deeply in its discourse as it is in any literary text.

Really? What does it mean to say that The Symposium, for instance, gives us "knowledge," but War and Peace does not?

In what way is War and Peace reliant on metaphor, but The Symposium is not? One could easily argue that the latter makes much greater and more frequent use of metaphor than the former.

The only reason philosophy tends to brand literature as "metaphor" -- as if philosophy is not equally constituted by it -- is to suggest, falsely, that literature is at a greater "remove" from reality and truth.

I don't think so, but, in any case, it was you who brought it up.

What does it mean to say that The Symposium, for instance, gives us "knowledge," but War and Peace does not?

Of course, the Symposium is a particularly good case for your position, since it is a particularly literary example of philosophy. There is obviously overlapping. Why don't you try, instead, contrasting Locke's Essay on Human Understanding or Quine's Word and Object with War and Peace. Then, of course, it will become obvious how philosophy and literature differ.

I did not say that all literary works are reliant on metaphor. There were a number of characteristics that were mentioned that were characteristic of literature, but not of philosophy.

In any case, a distinction need not be a "bright red line". There is a distinction between elephants and rhinos. But there are similarities too.

platorepublic

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 06:39 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
How can your favourite philosopher not be yourself?!

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 08:38 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;150395 wrote:
How can your favourite philosopher not be yourself?!

To begin with, you may not be a philosopher.

Emil

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 10:08 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150417 wrote:

Well, duh. (16 characters)

bartese

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 10:53 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150359 wrote:
What does it mean to say that The Symposium, for instance, gives us "knowledge," but War and Peace does not?

Of course, the Symposium is a particularly good case for your position, since it is a particularly literary example of philosophy.

? I picked it because it is a work that is considered to represent the quintessence of philosophy, if any single work does. It isn't insignificant that your argument requires that this bedrock of philosophy be avoided in favor of peculiar, carefully selected examples -- peculiar both historically and generically. A motion that is all the more telling in that you wanted to make an assertion about an essential and necessary difference (your words) between philosophy and literature.

Quote:
There is obviously overlapping.
... a figure that presumes, again, that there are essential "centers" to philosophy and literature that are absolutely distinct. If the Symposium does not partake of the philosophical center, then nothing does.

But just for fun, let's take the carefully selected examples you require -- carefully selected, but at the same time forwarded as properly within the centers of the "overlapping" circumferences of philosophy and literature (because the Symposium apparently does not belong in that center):

Quote:
Why don't you try, instead, contrasting Locke's Essay on Human Understanding or Quine's Word and Object with War and Peace.
ok, let's try them. What does it mean to suggest that Locke gives us "knowledge," but Tolstoy does not?

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 10:59 pm
@TranscendHumanit,
TranscendHumanit;149678 wrote:
I like Max Stirner, because he understand the all value comes from individual person. Nobody else do that, they all talk about 'duty' or 'humanity' or something like that.

I also like Ludwig von Mises, who economist but say thing very close to what Stirner says.

Stirner is fascinating as a certain extreme. Have you read Santayana on him? It might amuse you.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 11:13 pm
@bartese,
bartese;150460 wrote:
? I picked it because it is a work that is considered to represent the quintessence of philosophy, if any single work does. It isn't insignificant that your argument requires that this bedrock of philosophy be avoided in favor of peculiar, carefully selected examples -- peculiar both historically and generically. A motion that is all the more telling in that you wanted to make an assertion about an essential and necessary difference (your words) between philosophy and literature.

... a figure that presumes, again, that there is an essential "center" to philosophy and to literature that are absolutely distinct. If the Symposium does not partake of that center, then nothing does.

But just for fun, let's take the carefully selected examples you require -- carefully selected, but at the same time forwarded as the respective centers of the "overlapping" circumferences of philosophy and literature:

ok, let's try them. What does it mean to suggest that Locke gives us "knowledge," but Tolstoy does not?

Who considers the Symposium the quintessence of philosophy? I know of no Plato scholar who even considers it one of the better of the dialogues. It is certainly not up there with the Republic, or with the Theatetus. In fact, philosophers tend to ignore it when discussing Plato just because it is so literary. It is never taught in even graduate seminars on Plato, for example. If you have some evidence that the dialogue is "quintessential" you ought to trot it out.

It is clear that Locke is trying to inform us about matters like, whether there are innate ideas, the nature of perception, and so on. Tolstoy is relating a great swath of history from the point of view of a few key characters. It is like the difference between chalk and cheese.

I have a narrower notion of what philosophy is about than you do. No one discusses War and Peace in a philosophy class, but Locke's Essay is often discussed in philosophy classes. On the other hand, the novel is discussed in 19th century literature classes, but Locke's Essay is not in any literature class. Might there be a good reason for that?

platorepublic

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 01:48 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150417 wrote:

To not be a philosopher is the smartest philosopher. Might not be the best, but the smartest.

bartese

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:48 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150468 wrote:
Who considers the Symposium the quintessence of philosophy?

I said it is considered to be, if anything is. You know I don't put stock in that kind of essentialism myself; and you know that I'm only going along with the categories of essence and necessity that you introduced, to explore the question.

Most Classics scholars would agree that if there are essential or central philosophical texts -- as your "overlapping" figure suggests -- then the Symposium certainly would have to be among them.

Quote:

It is clear that Locke is trying to inform us about matters like, whether there are innate ideas, the nature of perception, and so on. Tolstoy is relating a great swath of history from the point of view of a few key characters. It is like the difference between chalk and cheese.
You have cited a couple of subjects that Locke is "trying to inform us about." I can cite several such subjects that Tolstoy is trying to inform us about -- some metaphysical, some ethical. I still don't understand why Locke can be said to traffic in "knowledge," but Tolstoy not.

Quote:
No one discusses War and Peace in a philosophy class, but Locke's Essay is often discussed in philosophy classes. On the other hand, the novel is discussed in 19th century literature classes, but Locke's Essay is not in any literature class.
Surely you agree that this simply begs the question. If we were to argue about whether there is an essential and necessary distinction between Cheddar and Cream Cheese, it makes little sense to cite the fact that the grocery store keeps them separate. It's the tail wagging the dog...

The mere fact that institutional structures usually follow a convention of keeping the names of these disciplines distinct -- although they don't always do so, and neither is it true that the texts we've been discussing are rigorously kept out of each others' classrooms -- does not explain the principle by which philosophy and literature can be said to have distinct essences or centers.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 10:16 am
@bartese,
bartese;150522 wrote:
I said it is considered to be, if anything is. You know I don't put stock in that kind of essentialism myself; and you know that I'm only going along with the categories of essence and necessity that you introduced, to explore the question.

Most Classics scholars would agree that if there are essential or central philosophical texts -- as your "overlapping" figure suggests -- then the Symposium certainly would have to be among them.

You have cited a couple of subjects that Locke is "trying to inform us about." I can cite several such subjects that Tolstoy is trying to inform us about -- some metaphysical, some ethical. I still don't understand why Locke can be said to traffic in "knowledge," but Tolstoy not.

Surely you agree that this simply begs the question. If we were to argue about whether there is an essential and necessary distinction between Cheddar and Cream Cheese, it makes little sense to cite the fact that the grocery store keeps them separate. It's the tail wagging the dog...

The mere fact that institutional structures usually follow a convention of keeping the names of these disciplines distinct -- although they don't always do so, and neither is it true that the texts we've been discussing are rigorously kept out of each others' classrooms -- does not explain the principle by which philosophy and literature can be said to have distinct essences or centers.

Most Classics scholars would agree ......

Some classics scholars do, but most don't, know a lot about philosophy, and usually, not much about anything but Greek philosophy. Who are these classics scholars who believe that Symposium is a central philosophical text (as contrasted with its place in the Plato opus)? No philosopher I know, or know of, would say that Symposium was a central text in philosophy. Let's get straight what we are talking about, shall we?

The question is whether what Tolstoy is informing us about is philosophy. Locke is certainly informing us about philosophy. What is Tolstoy informing us about?

The principle (I would imagine) is whether the work is about philosophy or about something else.

bartese

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 11:31 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150545 wrote:
Most Classics scholars would agree ......

Some classics scholars do, but most don't, know a lot about philosophy, and usually, not much about anything but Greek philosophy.

That's fine. Substitute any of Plato's texts that you wish. Does it change anything?

In any case, I guess we'll have to leave it to others to judge this conclusion, that Plato's Symposium is considered by most scholars to be literature and not philosophy.

Quote:

The question is whether what Tolstoy is informing us about is philosophy.
Ah, pardon me, but this is precisely not the question -- not least because it assumes that the "essence" of philosophy has already, somewhere, been defined.

It is exactly that definition that we've been after, right? And it was to this end that you provided the formula that philosophy conveys knowledge, whereas literature does not.

That's been the repeated question all along. What is the knowledge that philosophy conveys that literature does not?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 02:41 pm
@bartese,
bartese;150550 wrote:
That's fine. Substitute any of Plato's texts that you wish. Does it change anything?

In any case, I guess we'll have to leave it to others to judge this conclusion, that Plato's Symposium is considered by most scholars to be literature and not philosophy.

Ah, pardon me, but this is precisely not the question -- not least because it assumes that the "essence" of philosophy has already, somewhere, been defined.

It is exactly that definition that we've been after, right? And it was to this end that you provided the formula that philosophy conveys knowledge, whereas literature does not.

That's been the repeated question all along. What is the knowledge that philosophy conveys that literature does not?

Good, how about the Theaetetus? That is clearly a work of philosophy. It is about knowledge. No one would ever call it a work of literature.

The knowledge that philosophy is about is conceptual knowledge. Knowledge about the fundamental concepts of thought and language. Actually, I would rather say that philosophy is about understanding than knowledge. Science is about knowledge. Philosophy is about understanding. Literature is about entertainment.

Someone like Derrida is about confusion.

bartese

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 04:53 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150584 wrote:
Good, how about the Theaetetus? That is clearly a work of philosophy. It is about knowledge. No one would ever call it a work of literature.

Yes, let's take it. And I can't help but note in passing that we have been required to do so by your remarkable contention that the Symposium, at its center, is without question not philosophy...

The very first thing the reader will notice about the Theatetus -- which you're forwarding as the work in Plato's corpus that is the purest philosophy, freest from the taint of literature -- is that it is... a work of fiction. It dramatizes a relationship and a dialogue among fictional characters. It does so for the purpose of elucidating questions of knowledge and judgment, among other things -- and it does so almost entirely through the use of analogies, extended metaphors, and even further fictional scenarios. (Fictions within fictions... It's got the narrative complexity of something by Conrad!)

For myself, I can't see any significant difference between these strategies of rhetoric and storytelling and those found in the novels of Musil, Dostoyevsky, Kundera and Coetzee, for precisely the same object of elucidating questions of knowledge, judgment and ethics.

Quote:

The knowledge that philosophy is about is conceptual knowledge. Knowledge about the fundamental concepts of thought and language.
Ever read Kafka? Borges? Cervantes? Stoppard? Beckett? Poe? Melville? You may be surprised...

Quote:

Actually, I would rather say that philosophy is about understanding than knowledge. Science is about knowledge. Philosophy is about understanding. Literature is about entertainment.
Again... you're confusing your personal dismissal of literature as "mere entertainment" -- and I'm not sure who in the world would characterize, say, The Brothers Karamazov or Paradise Lost in this way -- with the essential "center" that constitutes literature, but whose existence we still can't seem to verify...
Quote:

Someone like Derrida is about confusion.
I wouldn't mind discussing this; but you have so studiously avoided backing up such hit-and-run zingers that I can only let it pass with the same patient smile I have to give students when they insist a book must be nonsense because they can't understand it. If you'd like a primer of Derrida and poststructuralism in general, I really do recommend (shamelessly) my recent video on the subject. (Or if you prefer: YouTube)

kennethamy

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 05:11 pm
@bartese,
bartese;150623 wrote:
Yes, let's take it. And I can't help but note in passing that we have been required to do so by your remarkable contention that the Symposium, at its center, is without question not philosophy...

The very first thing the reader will notice about the Theatetus -- which you're forwarding as the work in Plato's corpus that is the purest philosophy, freest from the taint of literature -- is that it is... a work of fiction. It dramatizes a relationship and a dialogue among fictional characters. It does so for the purpose of elucidating questions of knowledge and judgment, among other things -- and it does so almost entirely through the use of analogies, extended metaphors, and even further fictional scenarios. (Fictions within fictions... It's got the narrative complexity of something by Conrad!)

For myself, I can't see any significant difference between these strategies of rhetoric and storytelling and those found in the novels of Musil, Dostoyevsky, Kundera and Coetzee, for precisely the same object of elucidating questions of knowledge, judgment and ethics.

Ever read Kafka? Borges? Cervantes? Stoppard? Beckett? Poe? Melville? You may be surprised...

Again... you're confusing your personal dismissal of literature as "mere entertainment" -- and I'm not sure who in the world would characterize, say, The Brothers Karamazov or Paradise Lost in this way -- with the essential "center" that constitutes literature, but whose existence we still can't seem to verify...
I wouldn't mind discussing this; but you have so studiously avoided backing up such hit-and-run zingers that I can only let it pass with the same patient smile I have to give students when they insist a book must be nonsense because they can't understand it. If you'd like a primer of Derrida and poststructuralism in general, I really do recommend (shamelessly) my recent video on the subject. (Or if you prefer YouTube: YouTube - BrianArtese's Channel)

Theatetus -- which you're forwarding as the work in Plato's corpus that is the purest philosophy, freest from the taint of literature -

The above is just a pure example of the strawman fallacy. I never held such an extreme position, as I expect you well know. So, what is the point of imputing it to me?

There is very serious and important entertainment. Where did the word "mere" come from? Not from me, since I never wrote, "mere entertainment". Do you commit the strawman fallacy automatically, or do you first think about it, and then commit it? In any case, it does not work with me. So why don't you just stop doing it? It is at least disingenuous. And that is the mildest thing I can say about it.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:34:12