Who is you favorite philosopher and why?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Mister Carcer

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 05:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;149418 wrote:
Did he write such a thing?

I believe it was his doctoral dissertation.

HexHammer

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 05:47 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
Myself! Stand above the naive and group thinking philosophers who only dwell in a naive and idealistic world, whilst I live in a more realistic world.

bartese

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 05:50 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;149430 wrote:
Myself! Stand above the naive and group thinking philosophers who only dwell in a naive and idealistic world, whilst I live in a more realistic world.

I believe this was Emerson's position as well...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:44 pm
@Mister Carcer,
Mister Carcer;149425 wrote:
I believe it was his doctoral dissertation.

Well, it's your IQ.

HexHammer

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:47 pm
@bartese,
bartese;149432 wrote:
I believe this was Emerson's position as well...
Have no idea who's the dude is.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:00 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;149446 wrote:
Have no idea who's the dude is.

In that case, you ought to look it up. "Ralph Waldo Emerson".

wayne

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 01:09 am
@ltdaleadergt,
I gotta cast my vote for Emerson and Thoreau, I like they way they earned their philosophy. It's a shame Thoreau died so young, how much more he might have experienced.

bartese

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 05:05 am
@ltdaleadergt,
Although I'm mostly into 20th-century Continentals -- the usual suspects -- I'd have to put Robert Musil on the top of my list, even though he articulated his philosophy better in fiction than nonfiction.

But hey, Zarathustra is presented as a story... and the classical dialogues are essentially playscripts along the lines of My Dinner with Andre ....

kennethamy

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:03 am
@bartese,
bartese;149540 wrote:
Although I'm mostly into 20th-century Continentals -- the usual suspects -- I'd have to put Robert Musil on the top of my list, even though he articulated his philosophy better in fiction than nonfiction.

But hey, Zarathustra is presented as a story... and the classical dialogues are essentially playscripts along the lines of My Dinner with Andre ....

Yes, a lot of people seem to confuse philosophy with literature.

bartese

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 08:24 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;149550 wrote:
Yes, a lot of people seem to confuse philosophy with literature.

As well they should -- since they have no absolute distinction. As Derrida says, philosophy has simply been the literature of Truth.

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:13 am
@bartese,
bartese;149579 wrote:
As well they should -- since they have no absolute distinction. As Derrida says, philosophy has simply been the literature of Truth.

If there is a distinction I would like to know exactly what it is!

-

kennethamy

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:17 am
@bartese,
bartese;149579 wrote:

Even if there is no absolute distinction, that does not mean that there is no distinction. There is no absolute distinction between the back of my head and the front of my head. But there is a distinction between the back of my head and the front of my head. (And, why should anyone care what Derrida said?)

---------- Post added 04-08-2010 at 11:20 AM ----------

Pythagorean;149587 wrote:
If there is a distinction I would like to know exactly what it is!

-

For one thing, literature often is tells a story, and has a plot, and has characters. Philosophy does not. Literature is supposed to entertain, philosophy is not supposed to entertain. Book stores seem to know how to distinguish between the two

bartese

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:23 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;149589 wrote:
Even if there is no absolute distinction, that does not mean that there is no distinction. There is no absolute distinction between the back of my head and the front of my head. But there is a distinction between the back of my head and the front of my head. (And, why should anyone care what Derrida said?)

There is a distinction that some philosophers insist on when they want to shore up Philosophy as having some relation to the Truth or to Reality that is inaccessible to "literature". That distinction doesn't exist.

And why quote Derrida, a philosopher, in a philosophy forum? Hmm...

kennethamy

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:27 am
@bartese,
bartese;149594 wrote:
There is a distinction that some philosophers insist on when they want to shore up Philosophy as having some relation to the Truth or to Reality that is inaccessible to "literature". That distinction doesn't exist.

And why quote Derrida, a philosopher, in a philosophy forum? Hmm...

Your saying that the distinction does not exist does not make it so. And what the motive is for distinguishing between philosophy and literature has nothing to do with whether there is such a distinction.

I did not say you should not quote Derrida. I said no one should care what he said. He was a philosopher even if he was a terrible one.

bartese

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:40 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;149589 wrote:

---------- Post added 04-08-2010 at 11:20 AM ----------

For one thing, literature often is tells a story, and has a plot, and has characters. Philosophy does not. Literature is supposed to entertain, philosophy is not supposed to entertain. Book stores seem to know how to distinguish between the two

kennethamy;149596 wrote:
Your saying that the distinction does not exist does not make it so. And what the motive is for distinguishing between philosophy and literature has nothing to do with whether there is such a distinction.

I did not say you should not quote Derrida. I said no one should care what he said. He was a philosopher even if he was a terrible one.

Well, Derrida was a far, far better philosopher than either of us, so whatever sweeping, totally unsupported judgments we might make in that regard haven't much value. (Like this one, in fact!)

I have no idea where it is inscribed that entertainment -- or even consolation -- does not belong to philosophy; and there is some profound literature that is in deep trouble if its status as literature depends on its "entertainment" value.

And if you think philosophy doesn't quite liberally employ the fiction of analogy, of story, of characters in dialogue, of metaphor, etc. etc., you might want to hit the books again.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:47 am
@bartese,
bartese;149601 wrote:
Well, Derrida was a far, far better philosopher than either of us, so whatever sweeping, totally unsupported judgments we might make in that regard haven't much value.

I have no idea where it is inscribed that entertainment -- or even consolation -- does not belong to philosophy; and there is some profound literature that is in deep trouble if its status as literature depends on its "entertainment" value.

And if you think philosophy doesn't quite liberally employ the fiction of analogy, of story, of characters in dialogue, of metaphor, etc. etc., you might want to hit the books again.

Well, Derrida was a far, far better philosopher than either of us....

I find that insulting.

It is not inscribed that entertainment does not belong to philosophy anywhere. Why need it be? But philosophy need not be entertaining even if it is. Literature does need to be entertaining for it to be any good.

Oh yes, philosophy does use analogy and so on. But that is not of its essence, and it need not. It is of the essence of literature to do that.

bartese

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:56 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;149604 wrote:
But philosophy need not be entertaining even if it is. Literature does need to be entertaining for it to be any good.

Hmm.... who or what is it, exactly, that has decreed what any given book "needs" to do? In any case, I can give you a long list of "literary" texts that did not "entertain" me at all, but that did plenty of "good." I read much of Musil, for instance, with exactly the same motivation and exactly the same "payoff" that I get from reading Nietzsche or Foucault. No difference.

Quote:

Oh yes, philosophy does use analogy and so on. But that is not of its essence, and it need not. It is of the essence of literature to do that.

But "literature" need not use analogy -- take "Sister Carrie", say, or certain Kafka stories. If it is not necessary there, then neither is it "essential". Nothing is "essential" to either of them, unless you're simply working backward from the artificial genre label -- naturalizing a category that is entirely an invention, a convenience -- and, as I said, merely the way that Philosophy has claimed a special attachment to Truth...

platorepublic

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 10:06 am
@ltdaleadergt,
Plato, just because he started it all. And he founded the Academy. It's a simple and brave choice, but it's mine. For now.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 10:12 am
@bartese,
bartese;149609 wrote:
Hmm.... who or what is it, exactly, that has decreed what any given book "needs" to do? In any case, I can give you a long list of "literary" texts that did not "entertain" me at all, but that did plenty of "good." I read much of Musil, for instance, with exactly the same motivation and exactly the same "payoff" that I get from reading Nietzsche or Foucault. No difference.

But "literature" need not use analogy -- take "Sister Carrie", say, or certain Kafka stories. If it is not necessary there, then neither is it "essential". Nothing is "essential" to either of them, unless you're simply working backward from the artificial genre label -- naturalizing a category that is entirely an invention, a convenience -- and, as I said, merely the way that Philosophy has claimed a special attachment to Truth...

No one decreed it. It isn't even a decree. It is how we employ the concept of literature as contrasted with philosophy.

I did not say that all works of literature employ all those devices listen. Clearly they do not. But they all employ some of those devices. Of course the category is a convenience, but it is an established convenience. I never said it was a natural kind like mammal or acid. Literature is man-made, and so is philosophy. We can distinguish between history and physics, and that distinction is a convenience (what you mean is "convention") But that doesn't mean there is no distinction between history and physics. So why should that fact that the distinction between literature and philosophy is a convention mean that there is no distinction between them? Obviously it doesn't.

As an illustration, what you and I are doing here is not literature, it is philosophy. (Analytic philosophy, by the way).

I noticed, by the way, that you did not claim that Sister Carrie was a philosophical work, and it would be absurd to do so.

bartese

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 10:53 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;149617 wrote:
Of course the category is a convenience, but it is an established convenience. I never said it was a natural kind like mammal or acid. Literature [as a category] is man-made, and so is philosophy.

... and therefore not established by "essence" or "necessity," as you had formerly claimed. Now we're getting somewhere.

So the remaining question is: What exactly is the convenience or purpose that this distinction serves?

I'm genuinely interested in your answer to this question. What important thing does this distinction preserve? What would be lost if we simply merged the Philosophy and literature sections of the book store (renaming the section "Speculation," if you like?)

You've heard my theory about this question. The traditional, artificial distinction exists to "protect" philosophy -- to maintain the illusion that it is uncontaminated by the tools by which fiction seeks the Truth (if and when it does so) -- the tools of metaphor, analogy, embedded trope, etc., used by all philosophy, without exception; to maintain the illusion that philosophy is "closer" to truth than literature.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 06:16:22