Who is you favorite philosopher and why?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Justin

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 02:14 pm
@philosopherqueen,
philosopherqueen wrote:
Viktor Frankl, his philosophy on the meaning of life and his great innovation in psychology called logotherapy is what makes him great. If you don't know to much about him I suggest to look into it.
He was also an artist too wasn't he?

LogicOnFire

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 02:29 pm
@Justin,
I have several. Some of my favorites are Plato, Aquinas, Leibniz, and Pascal.
I'm sure I will develop new favorites that I meet on this board.Smile

philosopherqueen

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:34 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
He was also an artist too wasn't he?

No, I don't believe so. For a brief life history, he was a prisoner of the concentration camp in Germany, during ww2. He said that he made it just because he had meaning in his life (or that he found meaning). It is a really neat story when you really look into it. Anyway, he create a type of logotherapy, which he asks certain questions to help you find the meaning of your life.

I think that if you look into it, you might actual like it. Plus I'm also a psych major. His philosophy on psychology it for me.

Rivelli

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:47 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
I do not know many Philosophers so it wouldn't be fair for me to answer it. For now at least, I will say Socrates. I like Socrates as he believed that anyone can be a Philosopher, they just have to take away the "Sheep" like tendencies and question everything. That is a lot like myself, I don't major in Philosophy (Computer Science), I just ask big questions to anyone willing to answer and critically think about the world around me. I feel I relate the most to Socrates which is why he is my favorite currently.

Marat phil

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 02:33 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
[SIZE="5"]MICHEL NOSTRADAMUS[/SIZE] .....
[SIZE="4"]Last Great Jewish Prophet[/SIZE].

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:06 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
I think it's a great thread topic, but I can't answer it in the standard way. I can only view individual philosophers as nodes on a network, branches on a tree. Still, to be a sport, I'll do my best.

Rorty writes good English. He incorporates much of the best with the right tone, depth, and wit. Still, he would be nothing without his influences. This applies to most if not all of us.

Nietzsche has fire and relevance. Sometimes he makes me laugh out loud. Of course he also has certain faults, certain absurdities.

Wittgenstein's terseness in the TLP is amazing. He is brutally efficient.

Hegel is such a deep and satisfying meta-physician, and is probably my favorite over all. Like I've said a hundred times, I was turned on to his genius by Kojeve. Kojeve deserves some credit for presenting the core of it so beautifully.

If I was going to give someone a single book to turn them on to philosophy, I would give them Kojeve's lectures on Hegel, for these same lectures touch brilliantly on Parmenides, Plato, Aristotle, and Kant as well. Also upon the concept of self-consciousness and the nature of time, eternity, and concept.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 02:20 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;149072 wrote:
I think it's a great thread topic, but I can't answer it in the standard way. I can only view individual philosophers as nodes on a network, branches on a tree. Still, to be a sport, I'll do my best.

Rorty writes good English. He incorporates much of the best with the right tone, depth, and wit. Still, he would be nothing without his influences. This applies to most if not all of us.

Nietzsche has fire and relevance. Sometimes he makes me laugh out loud. Of course he also has certain faults, certain absurdities.

Hegel is such a deep and satisfying meta-physician, and is probably my favorite over all. Like I've said a hundred times, I was turned on to his genius by Kojeve. Kojeve deserves some credit for presenting the core of it so beautifully.

If I was going to give someone a single book to turn them on to philosophy, I would give them Kojeve's lectures on Hegel, for these same lectures touch brilliantly on Parmenides, Plato, Aristotle, and Kant as well. Also upon the concept of self-consciousness and the nature of time, eternity, and concept.

I like Hegel for a somewhat different reason. He is such a bad example of what a philosopher should be, that by reading him closely, you can know exactly what not to do to become a good philosopher. I have not read them, but I imagine that a set of lectures on Hegel would end anyone's philosophical aspirations permanently.

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 11:43 am
@kennethamy,
I have created a sort of bond with Henri Bergson. His notions of duration and being just resonate with me for some reason.

bartese

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 02:14 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;149072 wrote:

[...]

Wow... I feel pretty much the same way about these guys -- especially what you say about Kojeve. His master/slave discussion will always be much more compelling to me than Hegel's.

Somebody had mentioned Derrida earlier in the thread... If anybody is interested in a video I just produced on "An Introduction to Poststructuralism" -- which is basically a primer on Derrida -- just search for that title on vimeo.com or on YouTube. As a former lurker, I'd be interested in hearing what you all think about it...

Mister Carcer

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:32 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
My unholy trinity are Heraclitus, Aristotle and Heidegger. The only reason I can come up with for favouring them is that my interest in philosophy started with Nietzche.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:40 pm
@Mister Carcer,
Mister Carcer;149345 wrote:
My unholy trinity are Heraclitus, Aristotle and Heidegger. The only reason I can come up with for favouring them is that my interest in philosophy started with Nietzche.

I hope it doesn't end with Heidegger, though. Although if you read enough Heidegger you may lose so many IQ points that it might well end there.

hue-man

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:46 pm
@Mister Carcer,
Nietzsche is my favorite philosopher at the moment. His work in axiology really strikes a chord with me. He presented a way of looking at life and the world that is, in my opinion, unmatched.

Mister Carcer

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:52 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;149349 wrote:
I hope it doesn't end with Heidegger, though. Although if you read enough Heidegger you may lose so many IQ points that it might well end there.

Whom would you recommend as an antidote to Heidegger?

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:55 pm
@Mister Carcer,
I would recomend something From Mister Bayer's Company

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:55 pm
@Mister Carcer,
Mister Carcer;149364 wrote:
Whom would you recommend as an antidote to Heidegger?

I don't think there is one. Just hope it isn't too late to stop reading him (and Nietzsche). There might be a spontaneous remission. Else, if you recover, the road may be hard and arduous. I recommend a stiff dose of logic. And critical thinking.

As was said of Lamont Cranston, "The Shadow" of radio, television, and films, "{They} had the power to cloud men's minds".

Mister Carcer

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 04:22 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;149368 wrote:
I don't think there is one. Just hope it isn't too late to stop reading him (and Nietzsche). There might be a spontaneous remission. Else, if you recover, the road may be hard and arduous. I recommend a stiff dose of logic. And critical thinking.

As was said of Lamont Cranston, "The Shadow" of radio, television, and films, "{They} had the power to cloud men's minds".

Does that mean I should or shouldn't read Heidegger's "The Doctrine of Judgment in Psychologism: A Critical-Positive Contribution to Logic"? :bigsmile:

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 04:35 pm
@bartese,
bartese;149298 wrote:

Somebody had mentioned Derrida earlier in the thread... If anybody is interested in a video I just produced on "An Introduction to Poststructuralism" -- which is basically a primer on Derrida -- just search for that title on vimeo.com or on YouTube. As a former lurker, I'd be interested in hearing what you all think about it...

I checked it out. It's well made. I salute you for adding that to digisphere.

---------- Post added 04-07-2010 at 05:37 PM ----------

GoshisDead;149267 wrote:
I have created a sort of bond with Henri Bergson. His notions of duration and being just resonate with me for some reason.

I also find Bergson fascinating, although I have mostly been exposed to him through Durant and Santayana. Of course I find the discrete/continuous issue to be quite crucial, and Bergson, as I understand him, is all over that.

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 04:46 pm
@Reconstructo,
Yeah reconst, I sorta stumbled upon him through his essay on laughter, which by the way is in my top 3 favorite things ever written.

I happened to be working on some research papers about humor in cros cultural lingusitics, which let me read one of my other favorite anthropological authors. Keith Basso, if you are into the ethnographically linguistic that is.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 04:53 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;149411 wrote:
Yeah reconst, I sorta stumbled upon him through his essay on laughter, which by the way is in my top 3 favorite things ever written.

I happened to be working on some research papers about humor in cros cultural lingusitics, which let me read one of my other favorite anthropological authors. Keith Basso, if you are into the ethnographically linguistic that is.

I'm into everything! If I had but world enough and time! I remember reading about that essay in some book on humor. I'll have to look into Basso. THanks for the lead!

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 04:55 pm
@Mister Carcer,
Mister Carcer;149396 wrote:
Does that mean I should or shouldn't read Heidegger's "The Doctrine of Judgment in Psychologism: A Critical-Positive Contribution to Logic"? :bigsmile:

Did he write such a thing?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:29:46