Could we return to a state of nature?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Deckard

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 12:28 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;114805 wrote:
Good point. There's a reason that the skull is hardest bone in the body. The brain is more important than the pinky. If we think of societies as organisms, they too are subject to natural selection.

Society as an organism makes some kind of sense. And i suppose suspetable to natural selection as well as life cycles of rises and falls. However, it doesn't make much sense to assume that society's body would be analogous to the human body. Plants make a little more sense I think. And I would prefer it to be a rhizomatic rather than arboreal.

I don't think the differences in talents quite justify calling one group of people the equivalent of the pinky and another group of people the equivalent of the brain. Hey, Pinky and the Brain. Very funny.

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 01:55 am
@Fido,
Fido;114670 wrote:
My friend; you are clumping together a bunch of ideas and drawing a conclusion from them that is more emotion than thought...

For example, forms, concepts, and possession are the same as attributes, qualities, abilities, or talents...All these notions is each a facet of form, or concept...Human beings find it is necessary to make distinction which naturally exclude the middle -in the search for truth...We define reality with our forms, and that definition must be true as a matter of survival...Then, of course, we build social forms out of our understanding...And there it is essential to have forms that tell truth...It is possible we may have as much justice as we can define and unlikely that we will have more that we can define...Same with truth and all the virtues...We must judge our own material condition against our conception of reality as a whole... If for all our labor and sacrifice, and for all the accumulated sacrifices of mankind we are no better off than slaves, and if our dreams and desires are no more than dirt to those who would walk on them, then clearly, our social forms are not working, or are not built with any acceptable difinition of truth... Truth is the only fact powerful enough to bring down a failed social form... And we should return to natural social forms in our relationships...

Thanks.... your are right when you say they are same attributes in a given spectrum of thought or the conceptual plane.

I can attribute the shadow... to lightness or darkness. The form of shadow lies in the middle of light and dark. For easier understanding, take the example of 'the glass is half empty, for some, while for others, it is half full.'. The fact that comes out of the two statement remains the same. But interpretation is different...... lets leave that aside.

Here, what I was trying to do was to bring the level of debate to a common understanding and to the root of the problem. Bringing inequality, distribution of resources etc are side issues. The main issue for this thread, should be, whether mankind can take steps to be in harmony with nature.

For which, i agree with one of the poster who said to the effect that it is not a question of returning back to raw nature. But move towards nature.
If nature is for everyone equally. than the altered nature will affect everyone too. This affectation will cause irrespective of unequal people, rich or poor, intelligent or stupids, have and have-nots.

If there is an iota of doubt on whether the above proposition is a possibility, than the intellectual power of mankind should and can find a way to curb all those activities that are directly detrimental to the cause of Nature.

Fate or Consciousness or Reality or God or Nature itself, has brought the humankind to such a level of intellectual understanding that we can evaluate or critically analysis our own actions and its effects on the environment. There is nothing for Nature to lose. All the loss will be ours.

So, the issue should be if the why and when is sorted out, then how, and what needs to be done is the critical questions that need to be addressed.

Deckard

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 02:18 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;114825 wrote:

Here, what I was trying to do was to bring the level of debate to a common understanding and to the root of the problem. Bringing inequality, distribution of resources etc are side issues. The main issue for this thread, should be, whether mankind can take steps to be in harmony with nature.

For which, i agree with one of the poster who said to the effect that it is not a question of returning back to raw nature. But move towards nature.

Rousseau and inequality was mentioned in the OP and his conception of the state of nature was tied up with issues of inequality. Rousseau didn't have the same environmental concerns that we do and so he has little to say that directly relates to these concerns.

However!

Being in harmony with each other is part of being in harmony with nature. Our environmental concerns will never be fully addressed without addressing our political and especially our economic system.

I do hear you and I especially like the idea of moving towards nature rather than back to it. Not a regressive movement or a romantic pining for a paradise lost (such as we find in Rousseau) but a movement towards the future. That's a big shift and so important.

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 08:54 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;114827 wrote:

Being in harmony with each other is part of being in harmony with nature. Our environmental concerns will never be fully addressed without addressing our political and especially our economic system.

When Christ died there were no churches. His (i hope it is appropriate to take his example in this season) philosophy was powerful enough to make few men change their ways and views. Once it is accepted, at whatever scale, the acceptance will give rise to edifices of man's thoughts. The edifice meaning, the foundation of principles has to be laid first (in the mind) only then the foundation of institutes would fructify (in real objective sense).

Economical disintegrity, and political differences are symptomatic of illnesses we have in our thought processes. this stems from a lack of or incoherent universal principles. Whenever value is created to a thought processes, like in case of Climate Change concept, it will be accepted as essential to human life.

Once accepted, thus, it will create a shift in economical and political outlooks. In the bargain, some poor may die, some rich will become poor, some poor may get rich....... this kind of churnings and conflicts in society existed and will continue.

An agreement, though much anticipated, was not acheived in Copenhagen, but growing concerns, as exhibited in this forum-thread, will eventually bring fruit.

Economics is a post facto analysis. It evolves according to times. The world doesnot evolve according to economics. Politics does chang ethe worlds outlook. And today, and our future politics will be focussed on Climate, Earth and Nature.

edit: .....and yes, i forgot..... about harmony.
An unanimus Climate Agreement will indicate harmony. Lets work for it.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 09:21 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;114871 wrote:

Wasn't one reached in Copenhagen (while there was a blizzard going on)?

Zetherin

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 09:27 am
@Amerie phil,
Deckard wrote:

I do hear you and I especially like the idea of moving towards nature rather than back to it.

How would you move to and from nature? What is not nature? Or, what do you mean by nature?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 09:31 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;114880 wrote:
How would you move to and from nature? What is not nature? Or, what do you mean by nature?

Whatever is artificial. Like an artificial waterfall, as contrasted with a waterfall. Of artificial flowers, as contrasted with flowers. Or false teeth. In general, what is made by man rather than what just exists.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 09:36 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114881 wrote:
Whatever is artificial. Like an artificial waterfall, as contrasted with a waterfall. Of artificial flowers, as contrasted with flowers. Or false teeth. In general, what is made by man rather than what just exists.

But it can be argued that even those things man made, are part of nature. It will be tough, in the coming decades, to even distinguish what is man made from what is not, on many accounts.

And why is a natural state lost only when have humans have say in the matter? Suppose a gorilla inadvertantly mixed chemicals, and something in a puddle formed. Would this be natural? If a man digs a hole, it is an unnatural hole in the earth, but if a groundhog digs a hole, it is a natural hole in the earth.

I suppose I missed the lesson where it was explained that we are the only creature who's actions have the ability to change the natural, and create the unnatural.

Deckard

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 09:37 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;114871 wrote:

Economics is a post facto analysis. It evolves according to times. The world doesnot evolve according to economics. Politics does chang ethe worlds outlook. And today, and our future politics will be focussed on Climate, Earth and Nature.

edit: .....and yes, i forgot..... about harmony.

I'm a big fan of the concept of harmony and also the concept of sustainability. These concepts can be applied to economic systems as well as the environment and even to ones personal life. That's the new paradigm. No more endless growth. No more pushing to the final frontier. The earth is all full up and there are no more frontiers. Someone will take issue with that and say something like: "There are so many new frontiers to explore in science and in art and in the mind. There is so much to explore. We need to explore the ocean depths! We need to go to Mars! Progress progress progress! You must have chaos within you if you want to give birth to a star! Excelsior! Excelsior!" But NO! That attitude has become far too unrealistic childish, cliche even a little dimwitted or rather willfully ignorant. It is time to put away childish things.

We need a mature outlook. We need to live life well but we need to live within our means. No more of this constant mad striving for the "*****-goddess success" just good habits. Tend to the garden every day and take pride in that. We need to move from the aesthetic stage to the ethical stage. We don't need to be leaders or heroes all we need to do is to learn to live in a mature and sustainable way.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 10:03 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;114883 wrote:
But it can be argued that even those things man made, are part of nature. It will be tough, in the coming decades, to even distinguish what is man made from what is not, on many accounts.

And why is a natural state lost only when have humans have say in the matter? Suppose a gorilla inadvertantly mixed chemicals, and something in a puddle formed. Would this be natural? If a man digs a hole, it is an unnatural hole in the earth, but if a groundhog digs a hole, it is a natural hole in the earth.

I suppose I missed the lesson where it was explained that we are the only creature who's actions have the ability to change the natural, and create the unnatural.

Sure we can argue that. And they are, but in a different, but more inclusive sense of "nature". It is like the word "man". The word, "man" means "male human". But it can be argued that female humans are man too. And, so they are. But in a more inclusive sense of the word, "man", and we mark that sense by spelling it with a capital, "M". No problem. Only two senses of the word; one more inclusive (wider) than the other. That is now the term "natural" is used. Of course, the term, "unnatural" has quite a different meaning in English. The opposite of "natural" is "non-natural" (or, "artificial" or "supernatural" or "man-made", depending on the context). Just a little analysis dissolves the problem. If you want to read more about the idea of nature, read John Stuart Mill's essay, "Nature". It is excellent. It begins by distinguishing the two sense of "nature" I distinguished earlier. It is probably on the internet.

Fido

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 11:46 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;114805 wrote:
Good point. There's a reason that the skull is hardest bone in the body. The brain is more important than the pinky. If we think of societies as organisms, they too are subject to natural selection.

It is funny that the brain thinks other wise, that the guts are more important, and it is there we feel and suffer our emotions...The Celts could have been brain surgeon... They took heads because they realized it was the source of a man's power...

---------- Post added 12-28-2009 at 01:03 PM ----------

kennethamy;114772 wrote:
To begin with, I don't think the premise is true. For another, I think Rawlsianism is just another argument for coercive utopianism. What this country is now saddled with for the next three years (and no more, I hope).

Your reactionary conservatism is showing...I simply ask, is it better to let the republicans run us into a tree, or is it better to get stuck in the ditch with the democrats... The end is inevitable, and it could happen next week, or twenty years from now; but when the people are supporting an economy that will not support them, the thing, capitalism is in pretty rough shape...How long do you think it will be on life support before it croaks...Remember how long it took General Franco to meet his maker??? It is the same with capitalism, fast growing, fast going, but slow to get there...

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 12:59 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;114884 wrote:
I'm a big fan of the concept of harmony and also the concept of sustainability. ..................
............ But NO! That attitude has become far too unrealistic childish, cliche even a little dimwitted or rather willfully ignorant. It is time to put away childish things.

We need a mature outlook. We need to live life well but we need to live within our means. No more of this constant mad striving for the "*****-goddess success" just good habits. Tend to the garden every day and take pride in that. We need to move from the aesthetic stage to the ethical stage. We don't need to be leaders or heroes all we need to do is to learn to live in a mature and sustainable way.

I like your sentiments. You have also touched upon...... attitude. The attitude of human beings needs a change. There are tectonic shifts taking place in the world of ideas, concepts and outlooks. We need to elect the right leaders, with the right mind, with the right New Attitude.
Lets keep our fingers crossed till Mexico happens.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 01:12 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;114917 wrote:
I like your sentiments. You have also touched upon...... attitude. The attitude of human beings needs a change. There are tectonic shifts taking place in the world of ideas, concepts and outlooks. We need to elect the right leaders, with the right mind, with the right New Attitude.

Hasn't Mexico already happened?

Fido

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 02:51 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;114917 wrote:

Attitude is all we got, all we are that the monkey is not... He can swing way high in the trees, but man with attitude can walk where he please, Yet, though he struts without a care he needs a change of underwear, but first he needs to change his mind, the way it happens every time...

jeeprs

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 03:56 pm
@Amerie phil,
I think 'Mexico' is a reference to the next climate conference.

Perhaps psychologically 'nature' is a metaphor for 'the unconditioned'. Psychologically, unconditioned is the state of wholeness (=holiness), the condition of at-one-ment, prior to the Fall and our subsequent state of division, multiplicity and labour. This is perhaps what nature is supposed to represent.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 04:07 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;114980 wrote:
I think 'Mexico' is a reference to the next climate conference.

Perhaps psychologically 'nature' is a metaphor for 'the unconditioned'. Psychologically, unconditioned is the state of wholeness (=holiness), the condition of at-one-ment, prior to the Fall and our subsequent state of division, multiplicity and labour. This is perhaps what nature is supposed to represent.

Great. I can't wait.

"The state of nature" is, so far as I understand it, a group of people without society or any of the benefits of civilization. When, according to Thomas Hobbes, "the life of Man is, "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short". Hobbes described the natural state of mankind (the state pertaining before a central government is formed) as a "warre of every man against every man."

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 04:29 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;114817 wrote:
Society as an organism makes some kind of sense. And i suppose suspetable to natural selection as well as life cycles of rises and falls. However, it doesn't make much sense to assume that society's body would be analogous to the human body. Plants make a little more sense I think. And I would prefer it to be a rhizomatic rather than arboreal.

I don't think the differences in talents quite justify calling one group of people the equivalent of the pinky and another group of people the equivalent of the brain. Hey, Pinky and the Brain. Very funny.

I know what you mean. But if 10% of humanity were mysteriously "taken," we all might have preferences as to this 10% would be. Some would point to the stupid, some to the sick, and others to the cruel. Some might point to the men or the aged.

Another example: if I'm on a plane, the pilot is much more valuable to me than the others who cannot land the plane safely.

Another example: to what extra effort would we go to protect our own child rather than another's?

---------- Post added 12-28-2009 at 05:31 PM ----------

Fido;114894 wrote:
It is funny that the brain thinks other wise, that the guts are more important, and it is there we feel and suffer our emotions...The Celts could have been brain surgeon... They took heads because they realized it was the source of a man's power...

I supposed I'm biased for the brain as I am convinced that emotion is generated there even if experienced as if from the chest and guts.

Fido

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:46 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114985 wrote:
Great. I can't wait.

"The state of nature" is, so far as I understand it, a group of people without society or any of the benefits of civilization. When, according to Thomas Hobbes, "the life of Man is, "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short". Hobbes described the natural state of mankind (the state pertaining before a central government is formed) as a "warre of every man against every man."

There never was such a thing... Did you not always have a family and was that not a society, and a government???Civilzation is unnatural... Natural relationships like the family grow out of onr navel... That is where we get the word... Civilization throws all nations together and gives them law instead of tribal justice...

Pyrrho

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 02:01 pm
@Amerie phil,
Amerie;114094 wrote:
Could we return to a state of nature?

No, for two reasons. First, there would have to have been a time when there was Rousseau's "state of nature" in order to return to it, which there was not, as it is a romantic fiction rather than an actual description of anything. And second, it is something that could never be, because people and the world are not as Rousseau's fictions would have one believe.

Amerie;114094 wrote:
I have been reading Rousseau's Social Contract recently and his belief that we are equal and more or less better of in the state of nature experienced before civilised society was created. It is important to remember that the human population in Rousseau's state of nature would be very small, there would be little human contact, nothing like we experience today.

Is there anyone here who would actually prefer to return to a state of nature? Not necessarily Rousseau's state of nature... No government, each person would be able to do what they wanted, we would no longer be 'wage-slaves', no mobile phones or internet! We'd have to catch and make our own food. Belongings wouldn't be much of an issue.

If you want the closest approximation you can get, you can go out into the wilderness, away from all others, and see how you fare. And, of course, if you want to do it as close to Rousseau's ideal as possible, you will not take any manufactured goods with you, such as a knife or clothing, as that would involve your experience being corrupted by civilization. I'll let you imagine that for yourself and let you consider how desirable that would be.

Amerie;114094 wrote:
Totally out the question or would this be a good challenge? I'm in belief that if we were born in such a state, it would be pretty simple. But to come out of the society we're in now and to enter such an atmosphere would be difficult for most human beings. More to the point, would people have total equality???

No, people would not have total equality in an approximation of a state of nature. It would be much more like Hobbes' ideas on the subject (which he acknowledged to be a useful fiction to examine as a thought experiment), where everyone you did encounter would be a potential rival for whatever you wanted. Your life would be "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short".

The words of Rousseau are quite apt in a discussion of him:

Quote:
Whence arise all those abuses, unless it be from that fatal inequality introduced among men by the difference of talents and the cheapening of virtue? This is the most evident effect of all our studies, and the most dangerous of all their consequences. The question is no longer whether a man is honest, but whether he is clever. We do not ask whether a book is useful, but whether it is well-written. Rewards are lavished on with and ingenuity, while virtue is left unhonoured. There are a thousand prizes for fine discourses, and none for good actions.

Online Library of Liberty - THE SECOND PART - The Social Contract and Discourses

About that, Rousseau was correct. Rousseau was clever, not honest or virtuous, and that is why some hold him in high esteem. His clever words seduce the unwary into believing all sorts of nonsense.

Fido

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 06:45 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;115355 wrote:
No, for two reasons. First, there would have to have been a time when there was Rousseau's "state of nature" in order to return to it, which there was not, as it is a romantic fiction rather than an actual description of anything. And second, it is something that could never be, because people and the world are not as Rousseau's fictions would have one believe.

If you want the closest approximation you can get, you can go out into the wilderness, away from all others, and see how you fare. And, of course, if you want to do it as close to Rousseau's ideal as possible, you will not take any manufactured goods with you, such as a knife or clothing, as that would involve your experience being corrupted by civilization. I'll let you imagine that for yourself and let you consider how desirable that would be.

No, people would not have total equality in an approximation of a state of nature. It would be much more like Hobbes' ideas on the subject (which he acknowledged to be a useful fiction to examine as a thought experiment), where everyone you did encounter would be a potential rival for whatever you wanted. Your life would be "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short".

The words of Rousseau are quite apt in a discussion of him:

Online Library of Liberty - THE SECOND PART - The Social Contract and Discourses

About that, Rousseau was correct. Rousseau was clever, not honest or virtuous, and that is why some hold him in high esteem. His clever words seduce the unwary into believing all sorts of nonsense.

You are wrong Pyrrho... Rousseau was wrong too; but you are wronger... Man's nature is social, and natural relationships work best...Rousseau was aware, as much of Europe was, that the primitive people they were meeting in America were superior human beings... That is because they were the product of natural societies, unlike our own, which were nation states... Not one of them existed that did not lump together various cultures in the same state, which was degraded and immoral... Honor is an essential element of a natural primitive society... That is the gift one got with life: A Sense of Honor...Every one played by the same rules...Defend your own, stand by your own, support your own, and expect to be avenged if killed by enemies...Natives were brave, honest, and intelligent...If they could survive first contact, and European diseases they were often tall and strong and healthy... Rosseau was right to see the noble savage...It was not the state of nature that made them so, but natural society, society based upon ones family, and ones nation...Having no high technology they were forced to live organized, and social organization was the high point of their technology...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:04:09