Could we return to a state of nature?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 01:55 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;114212 wrote:
What?

Living without civilization might be like being burned for you. That suggests that you wouldn't survive.

That's not the point. The point is that it is crazy intentionally to bring something on, so that you can endure something just in case it happen. Why would you cut off your leg, so that you can know how to get along without a leg, in case you lose a leg? That would be really dumb.

Fido

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 02:09 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114187 wrote:
No one has talked about preserving inequalities, or establishing equality (whatever that means). But it is simply false that everyone is equal in abilities, talents, or virtue. Let's get that settled whatever else we want to say.

---------- Post added 12-25-2009 at 09:23 AM ----------

Right you are! A intelligent person is an intelligent person. And an idiot is an idiot.

I presume you have a point... My point being that equal political rights come from a definition...You might see this in the abortion debate where the right want a human definition for a zygote...They should hold their water because others are on much better legal ground...In a sense; people have to express the need to have the right...It is not that animals do not have feelings, but that they cannot express need...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 02:14 pm
@Fido,
Fido;114226 wrote:
I presume you have a point... My point being that equal political rights come from a definition...You might see this in the abortion debate where the right want a human definition for a zygote...They should hold their water because others are on much better legal ground...In a sense; people have to express the need to have the right...It is not that animals do not have feelings, but that they cannot express need...

Having equal political rights has nothing to do with whether people are equal. Having equal political rights means only that they are, "equal in the eyes of the law".

Fido

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 02:52 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114228 wrote:
Having equal political rights has nothing to do with whether people are equal. Having equal political rights means only that they are, "equal in the eyes of the law".

The law has no eyes; and whether you know it or not, natural law comes from the Roman law of nations which put forth the idea that all nations were equal, and the middle ages transfered that equality to the individual apart from his nation...I might agree that rights, like equality are by agreement, but our soical forms like law are out of necessity...Ask: are the differences between healthy people, which are superficial, enough to disallow a conclusion of equality???People are people and the best are not far from the least...What you find true for youself that you appear great in your own estimation is equally true of the poorest and meanest of people... Who knows the mountains they have climbed to reach a point of equality with beasts...Perhaps it is not what they appear to be to others that makes them equal, but that they dream and dare and suffer with the rest of us...

You must know that this thought of inequality, and personal superiority is used by the powerful and the rich to seed the need for social reform with dissent...I have been a union man, and the unions enforce a rough equality; but every effort against the union, which is against equality and democracy is an appeal to individualism, and the sense of individual superiority...

The argument is that you are an individual; and equal pay for you is an injustice to you because it does not recognize your superiority, but takes your freedom to negotiate your own deal and forces you to conform to the herd...

Everyone ought to look at the notion of the individual because the concept is of equality, of being the same...No one could build a wall if every individual brick were different; nor could the individual represent the group...Why do you think any law would accept as fact what all people deny, which is the equality of all???It is because we are never so much individual as social, and as our enemies will see us all as equal we have no choice to accept equality as a social form...It is based on the rough facts of the matter, but necessity is what makes it law...

When people go around the social goal of the law and put themselves before others, and change the law to enforce inequality of rights, they make the inequality of people in fact even more certain... The poor baby born into poverty has enough impediments, but if his social condition makes it likely he will suffer more from disease, or that he will chew on a chip of leaded paint, he may be doomed to a second class status for ever...How many of the supposed inequalities between people are the result of environment, because those are easily cured with the will to do so...

What the obvious inequality of people ends with is hereditary wealth, hereditary poverty, hereditary power, and hereditary impotence...It is inequality that destroys societies... It is worse than a false idea...It is a bad idea...Our differences do not mean inequality...Our differences mean diversity...If you start putting a tape measure on people in ends up in failed societies...For this reason, societies in survival mode enforced equality... They were all in it together

...Read the Lincoln Douglas debates that we have...As Lincoln pointed out: If a man may justify slavery for a black man based upon the color of his skin then what is to stop any man whiter than another from making a darker one his slave...It is a superficial difference....

kennethamy

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 03:07 pm
@Fido,
Fido;114232 wrote:
The law has no eyes; and whether you know it or not, natural law comes from the Roman law of nations which put forth the idea that all nations were equal, and the middle ages transfered that equality to the individual apart from his nation...I might agree that rights, like equality are by agreement, but our soical forms like law are out of necessity...Ask: are the differences between healthy people, which are superficial, enough to disallow a conclusion of equality???People are people and the best are not far from the least...What you find true for youself that you appear great in your own estimation is equally true of the poorest and meanest of people... Who knows the mountains they have climbed to reach a point of equality with beasts...Perhaps it is not what they appear to be to others that makes them equal, but that they dream and dare and suffer with the rest of us...

You must know that this thought of inequality, and personal superiority is used by the powerful and the rich to seed the need for social reform with dissent...I have been a union man, and the unions enforce a rough equality; but every effort against the union, which is against equality and democracy is an appeal to individualism, and the sense of individual superiority...

The argument is that you are an individual; and equal pay for you is an injustice to you because it does not recognize your superiority, but takes your freedom to negotiate your own deal and forces you to conform to the herd...

Everyone ought to look at the notion of the individual because the concept is of equality, of being the same...No one could build a wall if every individual brick were different; nor could the individual represent the group...Why do you think any law would accept as fact what all people deny, which is the equality of all???It is because we are never so much individual as social, and as our enemies will see us all as equal we have no choice to accept equality as a social form...It is based on the rough facts of the matter, but necessity is what makes it law...

When people go around the social goal of the law and put themselves before others, and change the law to enforce inequality of rights, they make the inequality of people in fact even more certain... The poor baby born into poverty has enough impediments, but if his social condition makes it likely he will suffer more from disease, or that he will chew on a chip of leaded paint, he may be doomed to a second class status for ever...How many of the supposed inequalities between people are the result of environment, because those are easily cured with the will to do so...

What the obvious inequality of people ends with is hereditary wealth, hereditary poverty, hereditary power, and hereditary impotence...It is inequality that destroys societies... It is worse than a false idea...It is a bad idea...Our differences do not mean inequality...Our differences mean diversity...If you start putting a tape measure on people in ends up in failed societies...For this reason, societies in survival mode enforced equality... They were all in it together

...Read the Lincoln Douglas debates that we have...As Lincoln pointed out: If a man may justify slavery for a black man based upon the color of his skin then what is to stop any man whiter than another from making a darker one his slave...It is a superficial difference....

I almost never write posts more than a paragraph long, and never read them either. Whatever can be said can be said briefly. Try wrapping it up into a small package.

Fido

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 03:24 pm
@Amerie phil,
Short words for short minds???I think I am doing great condensing two thousand years of history and the sum of pre history into a few paragraphs... Should I just tell you to do some reading???Because I have...

Deckard

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 03:52 pm
@Fido,
kennethamy;114235 wrote:
I almost never write posts more than a paragraph long, and never read them either. Whatever can be said can be said briefly. Try wrapping it up into a small package.

LOL! Kennethamy giving advice on proper conversation etiquette! Gotta laugh. Try not to let him get to you Fido. Try to just continue the conversation and not respond to such comments. He's just trying to get your goat. That's how he gets his jollies. I think we all know that's really what he comes here to do.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 04:13 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;114242 wrote:
LOL! Kennethamy giving advice on proper conversation etiquette! Gotta laugh. Try not to let him get to you Fido. Try to just continue the conversation and not respond to such comments. He's just trying to get your goat. That's how he gets his jollies. I think we all know that's really what he comes here to do.

Not at all. I come to discuss, teach, and learn. I did not say anything about conversational etiquette. I simply said that I never write or read any post more than a paragraph long. I never recommended that to others. That is just my practice.

I do think it is good practice to try not to be verbose. You can learn a lot about what you are trying to say from trying to say things succinctly. Try it.

Deckard

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 04:24 pm
@kennethamy,
Hobbes and Rousseau have been mentioned. Locke is another philosopher who wrote at length about man in the state of nature. Here's a quote from Locke:

Quote:
The state of Nature has a law of Nature to govern it, which obliges every one, and reason, which is that law, teaches all mankind who will but consult it, that being all equal and independent, no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty, or possessions . . .

kennethamy

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 04:35 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;114247 wrote:
Hobbes and Rousseau have been mentioned. Locke is another philosopher who wrote at length about man in the state of nature. Here's a quote from Locke:

But I wonder what sort of law that is. Rousseau and Hobbes were talking about descriptive law (what actually does happen). Locke seems to be talking about prescriptive law (about what ought to happen). It is like saying that the law of gravity tells you not to jump out of four story windows.

Deckard

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 05:08 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114254 wrote:
But I wonder what sort of law that is. Rousseau and Hobbes were talking about descriptive law (what actually does happen). Locke seems to be talking about prescriptive law (about what ought to happen). It is like saying that the law of gravity tells you not to jump out of four story windows.

The only prescriptive is to consult reason and the natural law will inevitably be revealed to those who consult reason. Are not natural laws, especially when revealed by reason, considered to be descriptive laws?

Whether there is such a thing as natural law or not is another matter.

Fido

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 05:14 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;114242 wrote:

There is proof that philosophy leads to happiness...Too bad I was looking for a restroom...

---------- Post added 12-25-2009 at 06:23 PM ----------

Deckard;114267 wrote:
The only prescriptive is to consult reason and the natural law will inevitably be revealed to those who consult reason. Are not natural laws, especially when revealed by reason, considered to be descriptive laws?

Whether there is such a thing as natural law or not is another matter.

Natural law based upon the law of nations, admits as fact that the Romans could see that foks was just people, that there was not much between them and everything against them...Try to remember that Caesar wanted to give the provences of Rome representation, which was really citizenship in a pan national nation, a sort of United States of Europe...I think this played a part in his end...Now, the Law of Nations said all peoples were equal, and since that thought had no where been published before the law, it is a wonder it was accepted...It may be that Rome recognized that they could beat their neighbors, but could not beat those beyond that border without the help of all the people...

jeeprs

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 05:28 pm
@Amerie phil,
Amerie;114094 wrote:
I have been reading Rousseau's Social Contract recently and his belief that we are equal and more or less better of in the state of nature experienced before civilised society was created. It is important to remember that the human population in Rousseau's state of nature would be very small, there would be little human contact, nothing like we experience today.

Is there anyone here who would actually prefer to return to a state of nature? Not necessarily Rousseau's state of nature... No government, each person would be able to do what they wanted, we would no longer be 'wage-slaves', no mobile phones or internet! We'd have to catch and make our own food. Belongings wouldn't be much of an issue.

Totally out the question or would this be a good challenge? I'm in belief that if we were born in such a state, it would be pretty simple. But to come out of the society we're in now and to enter such an atmosphere would be difficult for most human beings. More to the point, would people have total equality???

Completely out of the question, in any practical sense, but an important pole in the discussion about nature and society. Rosseau of course was a romantic idealist (practically invented the genre), who projected a state of natural harmony that hardly existed in reality. Anthropologists have shown that in many pre-modern societies, there are very high rates of murder, appalling infant mortality, considerable suffering from the lack of medical remedies and a far from idyllic form of life.

Nevertheless I think the idea still has some practical value as an 'imagined alternative' to our hyper-industrialised society and a means of forcing us to consider our estrangement from nature. Social movements that advocate a 'back-to-nature' approach serve a similar purpose. (I recall an article a few years back about the expense Japanese municipal councils have to go to, to remove autumn leaves during fall, as the presence of such untidy and disorderly reminders of nature disturbs the highly urbanised inhabitants of the Japanese mega-cities.......)

Deckard

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 05:58 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;114275 wrote:
Nevertheless I think the idea still has some practical value as an 'imagined alternative' to our hyper-industrialised society and a means of forcing us to consider our estrangement from nature. Social movements that advocate a 'back-to-nature' approach serve a similar purpose. (I recall an article a few years back about the expense Japanese municipal councils have to go to, to remove autumn leaves during fall, as the presence of such untidy and disorderly reminders of nature disturbs the highly urbanised inhabitants of the Japanese mega-cities.......)

Right. "Return to the state of nature" is something very different from "return to nature".

There are two separate essays
"A Discourse on the moral effects of the arts and sciences" (1750)
"A discourse on the Origin of inequality among men, and is it authorized by natural law"(1754)

I think the first leans more toward getting "back to nature" while the second is more about "getting back to the state of nature". The second does build upon the first but it is important not to confuse the two. Most consider the first to be far inferior to the second but the first essay marks Rousseau's "road to Damascus" moment and the beginning of his published career (at age 39). I'd have to give them another read through to say any more.

Fido

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:04 pm
@Amerie phil,
The Social contract is a fact, and you can see it played out in the Orestia which became a subject when Athens herself was trying to end blood feud with force of law...And there is at least one written example of this in Western Law of people giving up their right to instant justice for the promise of the whole people making an issue of it... I'm busy, and I don't want to look it up; but I will Because the book is only twenty five feet from me...Law and Revolution, which is a history of Western Law by Burman...It won an award in 84...How spooky is that???

It was not that there ever was such a thing as a noble savage...That was just another way of stealing the humanity from people... They all lived by the same code, and you can see this in stories from the Illiad, the Odessey, The Orestian Trilogy, The Nibelungenlied, and the story of Cu'chalain who would drop people in a spat of honor in the blink of an eye...Peace and honor were always on the scale..Kremhild throws her own son into the maw of vengeance without a second thought...That is what made them noble: The possession of honor...NO modern state could stand for a moment if people were both possessed of honor and the need to defend it...People gave up a right that is still their right- to have justice and to have vengeance for a promise of Justice through Law, and as the Orestia would have it, with Wisdom casting the deciding vote...There is a promise, and there is a contract, and there is a right to justice which only in the West plays a second part to peace...That is the legacy of the Church, that having peace, justice was not pursued, until injustice shared out among us has made us masters of the world...When we say rule of law to the Muslims it is Western Law we want them bound with, but Islam tells them they have an absoluite right to Justice...Conflict is inevitable...

Deckard

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:19 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114245 wrote:
Not at all. I come to discuss, teach, and learn. I did not say anything about conversational etiquette. I simply said that I never write or read any post more than a paragraph long. I never recommended that to others. That is just my practice.

I do think it is good practice to try not to be verbose. You can learn a lot about what you are trying to say from trying to say things succinctly. Try it.

This is a good point and I do appreciate your standards of rigor. I just that I so rarely hear anything positive from you.

It would help if you recognized someone elses good point every once in a while. Otherwise it is difficult to talk with you as agreeing with you becomes more of a defeat than a learning experience and trying to explain a point becomes more of a chore than an enjoyable philosophical conversation. Maybe keep up the criticism but add some encouragement. More carrot less stick.

Anyway, back to the conversation.

Fido

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:30 pm
@Amerie phil,
If you know what your are talking about, what is the acknowledgement of others??? Judging from history, the others usually bet on a loser...

jgweed

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 09:23 am
@Amerie phil,
Doesn't the kind of discourse depend upon both the subject matter as well as the manner of one's own writing as an expression of one's own thinking (style, for example)? Just as one should allow for different interpretations and perspectives, and give them respect for their authenticity---if not their content--- so one should also do the same for the chosen manner of their exposition.

[Digression]
I have found, in rereading some of my own posts, that in an effort to keep them succinct and appropriate for a forum discussion, that my sentences often become overloaded and too demanding of the reader's patience.

Fido

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 09:41 am
@Amerie phil,
What kind of discourse does not depend and etc???

Don't worry about demanding my patience...I have kids, and I haven't killed one of them, and that is about all they do...

Deckard

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 04:38 pm
@Fido,
Interesting, in the Rousseau's Discourse on Arts and Sciences, he paints Socrates as a sort of noble savage. Socrates walking around questioning the civilized and thereby revealing how little their arts and sciences were really worth.

Here's a weird quote that may reveal more about Rousseau's personality than Socrates' or France's.

Quote:
It is true that in France Socrates would not have drunk the hemlock, but he would have drunk of a potion infinitely more bitter, of insult, mockery and contempt a hundred times worse than death.

And here is the only mention of inequality in the Discourse of arts and Sciences.

Quote:
Whence arise all those abuses, unless it be from that fatal inequality introduced among men by the difference of talents and the cheapening of virtue? This is the most evident effect of all our studies, and the most dangerous of all their consequences. The question is no longer whether a man is honest, but whether he is clever. We do not ask whether a book is useful, but whether it is well-written. Rewards are lavished on with and ingenuity, while virtue is left unhonoured. There are a thousand prizes for fine discourses, and none for good actions.

Is there any truth to such a statement?

(Keep in mind these ideas are developed further and in different directions in the Discourse on Inequality which I have not commented on here.)

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:34:03