Does existence really precede essence?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 02:03 pm
@Fido,
Fido;128181 wrote:
No. There is no difference between the object and our perception of it...It is like saying brain and nervous system opposed to mind... The difference is imposed from without... We conceive of our reality spiritually, as so many essences... Well, we are confusing our filing and classification system with the reality so organized...No one can get a blade between the thing and its essence without drawing blood...

I see what you are saying and this is an important point. The essence is the conception is the thing as thing. Minus our concepts/essences/names, perception would be a chaos of sensation.

MMP2506

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 02:10 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;128573 wrote:
I look at it more like interchangable parts... we are all made of the same essence, the same type of things, but we are each unique as branches on a tree.

I think through asking about your definition I gave my position in a way...

I would agree with that statement. I don't believe our essences are absolutely separate. My essence is necessarily intertwined with other essences, and more than one essence can make up another essence. Thus the importance of Aristotle's categories and species.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:36 pm
@hue-man,
It now seems to me that man is essentially essence. Man is essence imposed on continuous spatial-being. He can't help being essence. Being is never thought of devoid of essence. But man can evolve or change his essence.

What is essence? Nothing but concepts and numbers. Numbers are ultra-abstracted systematized words. Man exists as a system of concepts in the spatial present. This spacial present is "pure being" which cannot be thought, as think is the imposition of essence. But Euclidean geometry reveals that being is continuous. Consider pi. Consider also that there is an infinity of numbers twixt any two numbers. We can zoom in forever, or zoom out. There is no largest of smallest number. Why? Because there is only one number systematically labeled and manipulated. This can only be realized by discourse, or within a system of concepts. And this system of concepts must evolve to such a realization by means of synthesis. (Hegel)

Scottydamion

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 05:27 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;128594 wrote:
I see what you are saying and this is an important point. The essence is the conception is the thing as thing. Minus our concepts/essences/names, perception would be a chaos of sensation.

This is a hard thing to address I think, the "chaos of sensation". Where does one draw the line for consciousness? Do other animals have a chaos of sensation? It would seem to point to a built in system for certain concepts. A bee may have a built in concept of "flower" or a squirrel a built in concept of an "acorn"... this is the hard part where one has to decide whether or not concepts can stem from purely physical means, and the ability of non-self aware animals to have concepts seems quite a roadblack to the idea of essence.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 05:37 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;134891 wrote:
This is a hard thing to address I think, the "chaos of sensation". Where does one draw the line for consciousness? Do other animals have a chaos of sensation? It would seem to point to a built in system for certain concepts. A bee may have a built in concept of "flower" or a squirrel a built in concept of an "acorn"... this is the hard part where one has to decide whether or not concepts can stem from purely physical means, and the ability of non-self aware animals to have concepts seems quite a roadblack to the idea of essence.

This is a good point. We can't know what it's like for animals. As Witt says, we can't see out of our human form of life. But we know our human form of life from the inside.

I suspect that animals do experience a minimal essence, for much of their behavior is inexplicable without. Of course extremely simple lifeforms can just respond in basic ways to basic stimuli. But as you move up the evolutionary ladder, you can suggest that essence is more and more likely. Think of Koko. Koko (gorilla) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Koko's case it seems unreasonable to deny essence.
Quote:

Koko (born July 4, 1971, at San Francisco Zoo) is a Western Gorilla who, according to Francine 'Penny' Patterson, is able to understand more than 1,000 signs based on American Sign Language,[1] and understand approximately 2,000 words of spoken English.[2] She has lived most of her life in Woodside, California, although a move to a sanctuary in Maui, Hawaii has been planned since the 1990s.[3]

Scottydamion

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 05:54 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;134898 wrote:
This is a good point. We can't know what it's like for animals. As Witt says, we can't see out of our human form of life. But we know our human form of life from the inside.

I suspect that animals do experience a minimal essence, for much of their behavior is inexplicable without. Of course extremely simple lifeforms can just respond in basic ways to basic stimuli. But as you move up the evolutionary ladder, you can suggest that essence is more and more likely. Think of Koko. Koko (gorilla) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Koko's case it seems unreasonable to deny essence.

To me this diminishes the term essence to marking on an imaginary line. It seems to make the word a metaphor for a certain level of complexity. If the only thing separating us from lower animals is that we are self aware, then it stands to reason that our definition should incorporate that and avoid using the ability to conceptualize as a standard. Being self aware may also be marking on a line, but I think it marks on a more tangible line.

That is kind of the problem with the term essence... it is terribly slippery.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 07:42 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;134908 wrote:
To me this diminishes the term essence to marking on an imaginary line. It seems to make the word a metaphor for a certain level of complexity. If the only thing separating us from lower animals is that we are self aware, then it stands to reason that our definition should incorporate that and avoid using the ability to conceptualize as a standard. Being self aware may also be marking on a line, but I think it marks on a more tangible line.

What is significance is that our conception is evolving. Koko is a freak, a gorilla pushed to the limit. She can't go and teach the other Gorillas. This is why man is time and not boring eternity. A minimal essence is not enough. What is required is a creative essence that can create technology and perfect self-consciousness., etc.

---------- Post added 03-02-2010 at 08:43 PM ----------

Scottydamion;134908 wrote:

Essence is nothing but pure negativity that separates an object from its environment. Many animals can do this. But they can't go up a level, and essentialize their essence. Man is not just essence but the synthesis of its essence to its absolute beauty/truth. But very few humans can get that far.

Fido

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:19 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;128552 wrote:
You are looking at everything from just the present perspective. If you look at everything in it's entirety, then everything necessarily happens the way it does based on events leading up to it. I'm sure you've heard of the butterfly effect. If one butterfly didn't exist as it did, then that would change the entire essence of our universe.

Nothing couldn't have happened differently in the past, or else the present and future would be different.

Necessarily, and I'd like to have the time in ten lifetimes to watch you prove that, and everything in its entirety... You must have some time on your hand to have seen so far without a glass...

---------- Post added 03-02-2010 at 10:29 PM ----------

Reconstructo;134969 wrote:
What is significance is that our conception is evolving. Koko is a freak, a gorilla pushed to the limit. She can't go and teach the other Gorillas. This is why man is time and not boring eternity. A minimal essence is not enough. What is required is a creative essence that can create technology and perfect self-consciousness., etc.

Essence is nothing but pure negativity that separates an object from its environment. Many animals can do this. But they can't go up a level, and essentialize their essence. Man is not just essence but the synthesis of its essence to its absolute beauty/truth. But very few humans can get that far.

Recon... Essence is nothing but... I am going to climb all over you with both feet man... You cannot make such sort of blanket statements...Essence as we conceive of it is an infinite, but as long as it has as a notion some meaning to people it cannot be counted as nothing or nothing but... We cannot define the thing as much as the idea defines us...

---------- Post added 03-02-2010 at 10:30 PM ----------

Recon...Do you want to take that thank you back...It make you look like a glutton for punishment...He was posting to the first post folks...

Scottydamion

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:31 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;134969 wrote:

If I were you, I would try to find a more common way of saying what you're trying to say. I do not think many people will be receptive to you if you keep talking about "pure negativity", "essentialize their essence", synthesis of its essence", etc... I have tried to understand you, and I think I do to a degree, but if you wish to share this view I think it would be helpful for you to try and make it more comprehensible in the few posts people will see.

I am not sure how comprehensible such ideas can be made, but that is my advice... (I try to come up with examples as much as possible)

Fido

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:38 pm
@hue-man,
There is a vote for the common man... Dumb down your speach to meet the expectations of the thoughtless...It is his thoughts... Let him have the whole box of words if he wants it...This isn't scrabble... Dis is filosofee.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:40 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;135101 wrote:
If I were you, I would try to find a more common way of saying what you're trying to say. I do not think many people will be receptive to you if you keep talking about "pure negativity", "essentialize their essence", synthesis of its essence", etc... I have tried to understand you, and I think I do to a degree, but if you wish to share this view I think it would be helpful for you to try and make it more comprehensible in the few posts people will see.

I am not sure how comprehensible such ideas can be made, but that is my advice... (I try to come up with examples as much as possible)

I appreciate what you are saying. I know it sounds strange. But it's not my idea, but Hegel's, and I simply have come around to understanding it. The "pure negativity" part is the hardest leap, because this is what makes Hegel utterly un-superstitious. It actually made him depressed for 3 years when he figured it out. But then he got over it, and published the book, and became the most important philosopher of his time (and also, though so few recognize it) possibly of all time.

What can I say? I know what I mean. And I know it's a difficult thought....

You just have to realize that there is no transcendental subject, that there is no self! The "self" is just the collision of nous and spatial-being. Time is a result of this, including the culture that makes consciousness of this possible. Man, I would like you to understand this. Is it that the "pure negativity" does not make sense? Do you see that number is just the almost perfect abstraction of word? But none of these words man makes can really describe him, for he is the maker of words. I think I'm expressing myself fairly clearly, but it's that last leap that is the killer.

That triangle is not a collision of 3 elements, but only of 2! If pi weren't just a number but the history of human thought, then pi would be the perfect symbol. It's the meeting of spatial reality and nous(logos/number/logic). What is behind the Being of beings? That is what Hegel figured out. By means of logic.

It's only a triangle because the top represents the human consciousness that the human mind is a collision of two transcendental faculties, and because they are transcendental they must be inferred, as they are never experienced directly. That's literally and symbolically the crux. The third element is just a clear consciousness of the two.

---------- Post added 03-02-2010 at 10:49 PM ----------

Fido;135110 wrote:
There is a vote for the common man... Dumb down your speach to meet the expectations of the thoughtless...It is his thoughts... Let him have the whole box of words if he wants it...This isn't scrabble... Dis is filosofee.

I appreciate that, Fido, but I know he means well. He has really given an ear to these unexpected suggestions of mine. The truth is that I do want to share them. Hegel is the shizzle, man! It's just thought he is almost never understood. I just reread Father Coplston on him and what a sad excuse for an expostion! But what can you expect from a Catholic in regards to an atheist heretic? I could tell that Copleston didn't get it. So far, only Kojeve and Zizek have really penetrated Hegel. Also this other guy, whose name eludes me, but he didn't sow it all together..

Night Ripper

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 11:35 am
@richrf,
richrf;84545 wrote:
As far as I can tell there is no end to the debate concerning determinism and what is called free will.

That's only because most people have a 19th century view of "laws of nature" as actual laws that force things to happen and other things not to happen rather than just being true descriptions of whatever happens.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:11 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;136525 wrote:
That's only because most people have a 19th century view of "laws of nature" as actual laws that force things to happen and other things not to happen rather than just being true descriptions of whatever happens.

Well said. Causality is a human invention, which is justified as invention by its practical results....but is it not justified logically. Causality is pragmatism mistaken for metaphysics.

Fido

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 08:55 pm
@hue-man,
We impose our laws upon nature..

north

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 10:02 pm
@Fido,
Does existence really precede essence?

no

essence precedes existence

Fido

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 11:03 pm
@hue-man,
Essence is not a quality of things but of living beings, we infere from our own sense of essence, life... This spiritual consciousness of self is the basis for all abstractiions, as essence is, and forms, ideas, notions, concepts... We find ourselves in spiritual relation to every form we consider... But none of it is real...Essence is of the class of infinites with meaning, and without being... What are they, and who is to say...

StochasticBeauty

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 12:46 am
@hue-man,
The universe is governed by entropic principles. If we are to say that existence precedes existentialism (or the premise that we have self-will) the real question is: to what degree?

We are in spiritual relation to everything we consider but another question is does spirituality dwarf other aspects of human nature - for example our need to survive or to reproduce.

The reality of free will I likely none existent the reason why is because essentially the nature of reality only exists in tendencies. Right now there is someone that could take ibuprofin and die while the rest of humanity is fine. The plasticity of the brain often offers many ways of thinking that essentially *require* the organism to be adaptable above other things.

If you couldn't pay the bills or pay for internet and lets say had 3 kids. Would you be on this website writing? and what would you be giving up to do that if you were hardly able to eat.

CJDOUGLAS

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 12:10 pm
@StochasticBeauty,
In short, yes, it does. How can one define the essence of a thing without first knowing it exists? What this is, fundamentally is a metaphysical question. To put it simply, things are what they are, existence exists and only existence exists. Once this is understood it is easier to determine the essence of a thing. Why anyone chooses to debate the logic of it is beyond me. Before anything can have essence, it must exist. If it doesn't exist, it cannot have essence, it is nothing and so is not even to be considered. God is a good example of this, of the nonexistent, or arbitrary.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 03:22 pm
@CJDOUGLAS,
CJDOUGLAS;136884 wrote:
In short, yes, it does. How can one define the essence of a thing without first knowing it exists?

As soon as something is a "thing" it is already an essence, although a vague one. Language is composed of essence. Of course what the existentialist were saying was true in the loose way they meant it. That man was capable of redefining himself. In numerical terms, man is not 0, but -1. The word "man" is already an essence.

Fido

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 03:47 pm
@hue-man,
Recon... Miss this point... Essence is like the laws we apply to reality... We impose them and expect reality to conform to them... We generate essence... Essence is a certain meaning we find in reality, but if we did not exist, there would be no essence...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 07:14:37