Does existence really precede essence?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 01:06 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127914 wrote:
But what would our existence be without essence? It wouldn't be a human existence. Part of the human essence is the ability to reason, so if the existence first existed without an essence, then at some point, we would not be human. If one can accept this fact, then I can accept existence as being a prerequisite for essence.

The problem I am trying to address I guess, is when does a human become a human, or is it a right given at birth?

A human becomes a human as soon is he is a human. Are you talking about (say) a zygote. A human zygote is always human, because it has human DNA. That is what makes something human. Being human is a biological category. Perhaps you are confusing being a human with being a person. That, of course, is a different issue. Being a person is not a biological matter; it is a social and legal matter. As John Locke pointed out, it is a "forensic" category. It is, as you might say, a "construct". Being human is not a right at all. It is a biological property of certain entities. Like having blue eyes.

MMP2506

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 01:46 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127927 wrote:
A human becomes a human as soon is he is a human. Are you talking about (say) a zygote. A human zygote is always human, because it has human DNA. That is what makes something human. Being human is a biological category. Perhaps you are confusing being a human with being a person. That, of course, is a different issue. Being a person is not a biological matter; it is a social and legal matter. As John Locke pointed out, it is a "forensic" category. It is, as you might say, a "construct". Being human is not a right at all. It is a biological property of certain entities. Like having blue eyes.

If humanness is an inherent quality to every human being, then the existence of an individual human being would be quite contingent open the essence of humanness.

As for as personhood goes, there are less restrictions as we quite often personify concepts which are not human.

If the question is concerning humanity in general, then at what point in the evolutionary process did the first "Human Being" exist, and was that existence, or was it not, contingent open the ability for that individual to reason, aka it's essence?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 02:36 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127937 wrote:
If humanness is an inherent quality to every human being, then the existence of an individual human being would be quite contingent open the essence of humanness.

As for as personhood goes, there are less restrictions as we quite often personify concepts which are not human.

If the question is concerning humanity in general, then at what point in the evolutionary process did the first "Human Being" exist, and was that existence, or was it not, contingent open the ability for that individual to reason, aka it's essence?

Why did there have to be a first human being? I imagine that having DNA came about through evolution. Wouldn't you?

A person is someone who has rights and obligations under the law, in a social setting. Persons need not be human beings. Martians might be persons, but not human beings. And, in fact, according to the Supreme Court, human fetuses are human, but not persons.

MMP2506

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 02:56 pm
@kennethamy,
I do agree that DNA came about through evolution. But there is a difference between the DNA of an Ape and that of a Human, albeit small. Even these small changes, however, did not take place over night. So at some point you would agree that there was half ape half modern day human DNA correct?

I see humanness as still being in the process of creation, as our current definition of humanness may not be suitable in 100,000 years. So both existence and essence is in a constant flux, I don't see any reason to make a definitive claim that one must precede the other. The essence of something is ones existence. We may not became aware of it until after we exist, but that doesn't mean our essence wasn't there.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:08 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127951 wrote:
I do agree that DNA came about through evolution. But there is a difference between the DNA of an Ape and that of a Human, albeit small. Even these small changes, however, did not take place over night. So at some point you would agree that there was half ape half modern day human DNA correct?

I see humanness as still being in the process of creation, as our current definition of humanness may not be suitable in 100,000 years. So both existence and essence is in a constant flux, I don't see any reason to make a definitive claim that one must precede the other. The essence of something is ones existence. We may not became aware of it until after we exist, but that doesn't mean our essence wasn't there.

If my essence were my existence, then it would be impossible for me not to exist. It would be one of my defining properties to exist. I could not, not exist.

In fact, the Ontological argument for God is exactly that since His essence is His existence, He exists necessarily. It is flattering to think that I am God, but I fear that is not true. But thank you.

MMP2506

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:18 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128005 wrote:
If my essence were my existence, then it would be impossible for me not to exist. It would be one of my defining properties to exist. I could not, not exist.

In fact, the Ontological argument for God is exactly that since His essence is His existence, He exists necessarily. It is flattering to think that I am God, but I fear that is not true. But thank you.

The ontological argument is that his essence is all of existence, not necessarily his existence. This is why Erigena described it as super-existence. Your existence and essence are both codependent, while God is both pure existence and pure essence. The ontological doesn't work if you try to give God properties.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:44 pm
@Fido,
Fido;127692 wrote:
We do not grasp our existence in any form other than essense... You do not know yourself, but through your essence, your essential self, your self perception, which tends to exclude all that is not essential to your being...

This reminds me of "the real is the rational, and the rational is the real." The real is revealed by discourse, or essence?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 07:11 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;128009 wrote:
The ontological argument is that his essence is all of existence, not necessarily his existence. This is why Erigena described it as super-existence. Your existence and essence are both codependent, while God is both pure existence and pure essence. The ontological doesn't work if you try to give God properties.

It is that His essence is His existence. And therefore, He cannot not exist. It is clear that my essence is not my existence, since I have not existed in the past, and I will not exist in the future. QED. This includes chairs and tables too.

MMP2506

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 07:38 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128024 wrote:
It is that His essence is His existence. And therefore, He cannot not exist. It is clear that my essence is not my existence, since I have not existed in the past, and I will not exist in the future. QED. This includes chairs and tables too.

The ontological argument, as postulated by early theologians, is based on a God in which no qualities can be attributed. Therefore God cannot have essence. What God is, quite literally, is essence. God is being. God doesn't have the property of one who is. This distinction must be understood before attempting to make sense of any argument concerning God.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 07:44 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;128041 wrote:
The ontological argument, as postulated by early theologians, is based on a God in which no qualities can be attributed. Therefore God cannot have essence. What God is, quite literally, is essence. God is being. God doesn't have the property of one who is. This distinction must be understood before attempting to make sense of any argument concerning God.

Never mind. The point is that to say that X's essence is to exist, is to say of X, that it is impossible for him to exist. So, to say of me or you that our essence is to exist is to say of us that it is impossible for us not to exist. But that is clearly false. It follows, then, that our essence is not to exist. As you claimed it was.

Scottydamion

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 10:39 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128005 wrote:

Are you saying it is possible that you do not exist? Because that doesn't sound like you... It is different from the Ontological argument because you would be making the case for your own, current existence. In the Ontological argument, humans are making the case for a god, god is not making the case himself (making his existence questionable, not his ability to exist...).

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 12:29 am
@hue-man,
I think we should consider the relationship between language and essence, as Fido touched on. The concept of existence is the essence of existence. Concept as essence.
If we are talking about Sartre, though, we need to interpret his meaning in context. He's talking about man experiencing himself as the creator of his purpose. This is related to man's break from simple instinctual life. Man is a symbolic animal who in the course of history has become conscious of himself (some of us) as a free, historical being.

One could argue that this freedom is an illusion (from an objective deterministic point of view), but humans experience it as a reality. The death of god leaves a gap. Indeed, man can be described as this gap.

Again I want to stress that words like "existence" and "essence" don't have perfectly precise meanings and also that the sentence is the unit of meaning. All I mean by that is that words are interpreted in the context of other words and non-verbal situations.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 12:49 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;128056 wrote:
Are you saying it is possible that you do not exist? Because that doesn't sound like you... It is different from the Ontological argument because you would be making the case for your own, current existence. In the Ontological argument, humans are making the case for a god, god is not making the case himself (making his existence questionable, not his ability to exist...).

Of course it is possible for me not to exist. I did not exist not many years ago, and I won't exist in not so many years from now. You don't think that it is impossible that I should not exist, although, of course, I do exist.

I think that what confuses you is the in ordinary English, the phrase, "It is possible that not-p" often means, "I don't know that p is true" or "For all I know, p is false". So that you think I am saying that I don't know that I exist. And, of course, I know that I exist. But, it is possible that not-p has a different meaning. A modal meaning. It means that p is false is not self-contradictory. So that, it is possible that I don't exist means, it is not self-contradictory that I don't exist, or it is not a necessary truth (one that cannot be false) that I exist. So, although I know that I exist, it is possible that I do not exist. In the sense that my non-existence is not self-contradictory.

But if my essence were my existence, then it would be impossible for me not to exist. And that, as I have said, we know is false.

Scottydamion

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 01:06 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128086 wrote:
Of course it is possible for me not to exist. I did not exist not many years ago, and I won't exist in not so many years from now. You don't think that it is impossible that I should not exist, although, of course, I do exist.

I think that what confuses you is the in ordinary English, the phrase, "It is possible that not-p" often means, "I don't know that p is true" or "For all I know, p is false". So that you think I am saying that I don't know that I exist. And, of course, I know that I exist. But, it is possible that not-p has a different meaning. A modal meaning. It means that p is false is not self-contradictory. So that, it is possible that I don't exist means, it is not self-contradictory that I don't exist, or it is not a necessary truth (one that cannot be false) that I exist. So, although I know that I exist, it is possible that I do not exist. In the sense that my non-existence is not self-contradictory.

But if my essence were my existence, then it would be impossible for me not to exist. And that, as I have said, we know is false.

Ah, I see why you made the comparison now. Thank you for clearing that up for me Smile

MMP2506

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 01:23 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128086 wrote:

Can you not see where your essence is a face of your existence?

You existence is essential, because if it wasn't essential, then you wouldn't exist. As far as the past or future, those are also necessary, because if the past was at all different, then you would essentially not exist, and because of your existence the future is essentially different.

Therefore, essence is one of the many faces of existence. They are not interchangeable, but they are the same.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 01:31 am
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;128108 wrote:

You existence is essential, because if it wasn't essential, then you wouldn't exist. As far as the past or future, those are also necessary, because if the past was at all different, then you would essentially not exist, and because of your existence the future is essentially different.

Therefore, essence is one of the many faces of existence. They are not interchangeable, but they are the same.

What is a "face of existence"? And, my existence is essential to what? My existence? I guess that is true. And my nose is essential to my nose too. So what? That just means that unless I had a nose, I would not have a nose. True enough, but not exactly headline newss.

Scottydamion

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 01:33 am
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;128108 wrote:

Do you connect essence with eternal? There are simply too many interpretations of the word for me not to ask before responding...

MMP2506

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 01:41 am
@hue-man,
Essence is eternal, because essence has an effect that is beyond the present.

I think it is quite obvious that any one individual's existence is necessary for things to exist the way they are. If either one of you did not exist, then my essence and in turn my very existence would be altered, if maybe only a little bit.

The past was essential to exist exactly how it did in order for any of us to exist the way we do, otherwise our essence would be different, or perhaps we wouldn't even exist.

In that sense, yes, I see essence as something eternal and necessary, since a change in it would mean a change throughout all of existence. Similar to the concept of the butterfly effect.

---------- Post added 02-14-2010 at 01:51 AM ----------

Let me put it another way.

My essence is how people view my existence, or how I view my existence. I exist because I am, if I didn't exist then I wouldn't be. My being is shown to others through my essence, therefore, my essence is a face of my being/existence.

Scottydamion

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 01:58 am
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;128120 wrote:
Essence is eternal, because essence has an effect that is beyond the present.

I think it is quite obvious that any one individual's existence is necessary for things to exist the way they are. If either one of you did not exist, then my essence and in turn my very existence would be altered, if maybe only a little bit.

The past was essential to exist exactly how it did in order for any of us to exist the way we do, otherwise our essence would be different, or perhaps we wouldn't even exist.

In that sense, yes, I see essence as something eternal and necessary, since a change in it would mean a change throughout all of existence. Similar to the concept of the butterfly effect.

---------- Post added 02-14-2010 at 01:51 AM ----------

Let me put it another way.

My essence is how people view my existence, or how I view my existence. I exist because I am, if I didn't exist then I wouldn't be. My being is shown to others through my essence, therefore, my essence is a face of my being/existence.

Could you flat out define essence? Because I have a feeling that otherwise there is going to be a lot of debate over nothing...

MMP2506

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 01:59 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;128128 wrote:
Could you flat out define essence? Because I have a feeling that otherwise there is going to be a lot of debate over nothing...

My essence is what is essential to my being.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:42:00