Philosophy and the rise of science

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:40 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;161907 wrote:
How does the argument that fatalism is false "proceed from axioms"? Fatalism does not argue on the basis of the existence of laws of nature (and what makes you think laws of nature are axioms anyway?). Hard determinism perhaps does, but fatalism doesn't. I think you are confusing fatalism with hard determinism. But, in any case, laws of nature are not axioms.

When I philosophize, I don't do so "on the basis of axioms". Not so far as I can tell.

The laws of nature can be interpreted as axioms. They are not. I think there is good case to be made that if determinism is true, then fatalism is also true. If you disagree, then i appreciate some argument from you.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:00 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;161912 wrote:
The laws of nature can be interpreted as axioms. They are not. I think there is good case to be made that if determinism is true, then fatalism is also true. If you disagree, then i appreciate some argument from you.

That the laws of nature are true has nothing whatsoever to do with whether they are axioms. And certainly nothing to do with whether philosophers argue from them.

As a matter of fact, determinism and fatalism are incompatible, since fatalism implies that the decisions and choices people make are ineffectual in determining their future, whereas determinism denies that . For determinism (on the contrary) asserts that the choices and decisions people make have everything to do with what happens to them in the future. Therefore, far from determinism implying fatalism, determinism implies the falsity of fatalism.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;161919 wrote:
That the laws of nature are true has nothing whatsoever to do with whether they are axioms. And certainly nothing to do with whether philosophers argue from them.

You are surely wrong. If laws of nature are true, and deterministic, then the world is surely deterministic. Do you disagree?

Quote:
As a matter of fact, determinism and fatalism are incompatible, since fatalism implies that the decisions and choices people make are ineffectual in determining their future, whereas determinism denies that . For determinism (on the contrary) asserts that the choices and decisions people make have everything to do with what happens to them in the future. Therefore, far from determinism implying fatalism, determinism implies the falsity of fatalism.

I disagree. If we suppose materialism is true, and determinism is true, then the subjective act of "choosing" is ineffectual, because everything in already determined to follow from the laws of nature, and initial conditions set from the big bang.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:24 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;161940 wrote:
You are surely wrong. If laws of nature are true, and deterministic, then the world is surely deterministic. Do you disagree?

I disagree. If we suppose materialism is true, and determinism is true, then the subjective act of "choosing" is ineffectual, because everything in already determined to follow from the laws of nature, and initial conditions set from the big bang.

If laws of nature are true, and deterministic, then the world is surely deterministic. Do you disagree?

No. But what has that supposed to do with what we are discussing?

If materialism and determinism are true, then making a choice is a material thing, and it enters into the chain of causation, so that if I had not chosen vanilla ice-cream, and chosen chocolate instead, I would not have been served vanilla ice-cream, and I would have been served chocolate instead. An important part of the cause of my getting vanilla was my having chosen vanilla.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 10:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;161946 wrote:
If laws of nature are true, and deterministic, then the world is surely deterministic. Do you disagree?

If materialism and determinism are true, then making a choice is a material thing, and it enters into the chain of causation, so that if I had not chosen vanilla ice-cream, and chosen chocolate instead, I would not have been served vanilla ice-cream, and I would have been served chocolate instead. An important part of the cause of my getting vanilla was my having chosen vanilla.

I was saying that if determinism is true, then so is fatalism. You deny this. You sure do have a short memory.

if I had not chosen vanilla ice-cream, and chosen chocolate instead, I would not have been served vanilla ice-cream, and I would have been served chocolate instead.

You assume that "your choice" is the cause of what you have. This is not the case if materialism, and determinism is true. The cause must be "material". "you choice" is not material. It is mental.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 10:46 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;161977 wrote:

You assume that "your choice" is the cause of what you have. This is not the case if materialism, and determinism is true. The cause must be "material". "you choice" is not material. It is mental.

Why cannot a choice be a brain-event? All the evidence we have is that it is. Mental events may be (and probably are) brain-events. Why would you think they are not? What would determine whether I got vanilla ice-cream if my choice to order it did not?

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 11:01 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;161988 wrote:
Why cannot a choice be a brain-event? All the evidence we have is that it is. Mental events may be (and probably are) brain-events. Why would you think they are not? What would determine whether I got vanilla ice-cream if my choice to order it did not?

Of course, you can say your choices are just some physical states that goes on in your brain. If this is the case, then i have nothing to say. I advise you to not do it. You want to say the reason your are eating vanilla ice cream is because you made the choice. Otherwise, you would be saying that the reason you are eating vanilla ice cream is because some event happen in the universe that made it so.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 11:36 pm
@kennethamy,
I am referring to a few pages back.

I feel that the word "spiritual" is used in very different ways. Personally, I have no use for the concept of the supernatural. But that's only because my concept of the natural isn't closed! And I'm not saying that someone else's is closed.

Generally, I agree that we should not believe in that which has not been proven for us personally. The tricky part is that personal experience varies. Einstein looked at time and space differently than others, until others (a few) adopted this way of looking at things. Science itself proceeds by leaps of intuition. But of course also by consensus.

Newton co-invented the calculus by playing with infinitesimals, doing the equivalent of dividing by zero, and in general by breaking the current rules of scientific truth, for math is a science. This questionable play was justified by its explanatory power, which is to say that it was justified pragmatically. I argue that the paradoxes of Zeno remain unresolved. I find the book Against Method quite persuasive. This book argues that Galileo pursued a hunch, as his view was hardly obvious even if some of his contemporaries agreed.. The cartoon version of history presents him as some persecuted hero of truth. It wasn't that simple, according to Feyerabend. The "experts" aren't always in agreement, to put it mildly. I can only see science as Rorty does, as a system where inquiry is not punished, and where consensus is sought. Shall we not consider the relationship of politics and science?

Quote:

For is it not possible that science as we know it today, or a "search for the truth" in the style of traditional philosophy, will create a monster? Is it not possible that an objective approach that frowns upon personal connections between the entities examined will harm people, turn them into miserable, unfriendly, self-righteous mechanisms without charm or humour? "Is it not possible," asks Kierkegaard, "that my activity as an objective [or critico-rational] observer of nature will weaken my strength as a human being?" I suspect the answer to many of these questions is affirmative and I believe that a reform of the sciences that makes them more anarchic and more subjective (in Kierkegaard's sense) is urgently needed. Against Method. p. 154.

I'm not saying that I utterly endorse this quote, but rather that he raises an interesting issue.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 11:42 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;161999 wrote:
Of course, you can say your choices are just some physical states that goes on in your brain. If this is the case, then i have nothing to say. I advise you to not do it. You want to say the reason your are eating vanilla ice cream is because you made the choice. Otherwise, you would be saying that the reason you are eating vanilla ice cream is because some event happen in the universe that made it so.

Yes. I am eating vanilla ice-cream because some event happened in the universe that made it so. Namely, I chose to order vanilla ice-cream. Why would you advise me not to say that my choices are physical states that occurs in my brain? Especially if I thought that was true? Have you any reason to think it is not true?

---------- Post added 05-09-2010 at 01:46 AM ----------

Reconstructo;162017 wrote:

Generally, I agree that we should not believe in that which has not been proven for us personally.

Whatever that might mean. But I think that my belief that the country of Japan exists is justified. But I have never been to Japan. You do not believe there is a country, Japan? I find that very implausible. Don't you?

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 11:53 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
Yes. I am eating vanilla ice-cream because some event happened in the universe that made it so. Namely, I chose to order vanilla ice-cream. Why would you advise me not to say that my choices are physical states that occurs in my brain? Especially if I thought that was true? Have you any reason to think it is not true?

Well, there is good reason to think intentions are not reducible to physical states. The practical reason is that we want to take responsibility for our actions. If you kill a person, and argue that some random physical event happen in your brain that made you do it( eg: perhaps, a cold)

kennethamy

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:04 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;162025 wrote:
Well, there is good reason to think intentions are not reducible to physical states. The practical reason is that we want to take responsibility for our actions. If you kill a person, and argue that some random physical event happen in your brain that made you do it( eg: perhaps, a cold)

What would make you think that the physical event in my brain was random? Anyway I did not say that mental states were reducible to material states. I said that they were identical to material states. Mental states are no more reducible to material states if they are identical with material states, than are material states reducible to mental states. So, if mental states and physical states are identical, then it follows that if physical states are random, then mental states are random too. But if mental states are not random, then neither are physical states. For they are one and the same.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:10 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;162030 wrote:
What would make you think that the physical event in my brain was random? Anyway I did not say that mental states were reducible to material states. I said that they were identical to material states. Mental states are no more reducible to material states if they are identical with material states, than are material states reducible to mental states. So, if mental states and physical states are identical, then it follows that if physical states are random, then metal states are random too. Therefore, it is a wash.

Does it matter that physical state in your brain is not random, but determined by some prior event? I don` t think so. You can blame why you kill someone on the big bang if you want. This problem will not go away if you blame it on some physical state in your brain.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:22 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;162033 wrote:
Does it matter that physical state in your brain is not random, but determined by some prior event? I don` t think so. You can blame why you kill someone on the big bang if you want. This problem will not go away if you blame it on some physical state in your brain.

Sorry. I no longer understand your point. What difference does it make to blame or praise whether the cause is mental or physical? Specifically, whether the anger which cause me to punch someone when I should not have done so, is an physical event, or a mental event, or both physical and mental?

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 01:14 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;162039 wrote:
Sorry. I no longer understand your point. What difference does it make to blame or praise whether the cause is mental or physical? Specifically, whether the anger which cause me to punch someone when I should not have done so, is an physical event, or a mental event, or both physical and mental?

Agreed. You are lost. Ask yourself under what condition where an agent is blame worthy. we normally blame a person, and not a physical state.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 01:33 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;162061 wrote:
Agreed. You are lost. Ask yourself under what condition where an agent is blame worthy. we normally blame a person, and not a physical state.

We never blame a physical state, although we may, of course, cite a physical state as the cause of what the person did. Who said that we blame a physical state? Now a person may strike another in anger. If the theory that mental states are also brain states is true, then what caused the person to strike the other person was a physical state, that was also, of course, a mental state.
Since the two states were identical.

What is your difficulty with the above? We blame the person for hitting the other, since we believe that was the morally wrong thing to do. And what caused the action was a fit of anger.

What difference do you think it makes whether that fit of anger was a mental state or a physical state, or both? Apparently you think it makes a difference. What is it?

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 02:32 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;162068 wrote:

What difference do you think it makes whether that fit of anger was a mental state or a physical state, or both? Apparently you think it makes a difference. What is it?

Because intention is mental state. You can have the intention of kill another people, and that is what makes you blameworthy. This is not true of some physical event.

Quote:
We never blame a physical state, although we may, of course, cite a physical state as the cause of what the person did. Who said that we blame a physical state?

My guess is Kennethamy.

jeeprs

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 03:16 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;161889 wrote:
I don't know what it means that "philosophy proceeds from axioms".

I actually said science proceeds from axioms.

Quote:
Axiom - definition
1. A self-evident or universally recognized truth; a maxim: "It is an economic axiom as old as the hills that goods and services can be paid for only with goods and services" (Albert Jay Nock).
2. An established rule, principle, or law.
3. A self-evident principle or one that is accepted as true without proof as the basis for argument; a postulate.

So what I am saying is that while science proceeds from axioms, philosophy questions them. I believe Reconstructo quoted Feyerabend - he and Kuhn both draw attention to the paradigm, which is kind of a super-set of axioms, the conceptual framework within which axioms are formulated. Philosophy will question both paradigms and axioms.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 07:06 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;162079 wrote:
Because intention is mental state. You can have the intention of kill another people, and that is what makes you blameworthy. This is not true of some physical event.

My guess is Kennethamy.

Intention is a mental state, all right. But, if mental states are also physical states, then intention is a physical state too. Whether intention is a mental state only; or whether it is a physical state only; or whether it is both a mental state and a physical state seems to me to make difference. As long as a person intends to kill, the person is blameworthy. The law does not say that intention has to be only a mental state for the person who kills to be blameworthy, it says only that there has to be an intention for the person to be blameworthy. So, you are confusing two different issues: whether a person has to intend to kill to be blameworthy is one issue; but whether intentions are mental states is a different issue. You are mixing them up.

I expect you simply assume that intentions can be only mental states, so if the state is not mental, then it is not an intention. But what justifies that assumption? Nothing that I can see.

So, to repeat, as long as you intend to kill, you are blameworthy. But what has whether intentions are mental, or physical, or both mental and physical to do with that. Nothing obviously. Since even it the intention is physical, it is still there, and it is still an intention.

---------- Post added 05-09-2010 at 09:21 AM ----------

jeeprs;162089 wrote:
I actually said science proceeds from axioms.

So what I am saying is that while science proceeds from axioms, philosophy questions them. I believe Reconstructo quoted Feyerabend - he and Kuhn both draw attention to the paradigm, which is kind of a super-set of axioms, the conceptual framework within which axioms are formulated. Philosophy will question both paradigms and axioms.

I think I know what an axiom is, all right. It is an unproved prover. But what I don't know is why you think that philosophy "proceeds from axioms". What I don't understand is what you mean by "proceeds". The model of geometry that philosophers like Descartes and Spinoza employed in order to formulate their philosophies is just one model of philosophy. I suppose that is the model you have in mind when you say that philosophy "proceeds from axioms". But that is not the only model of philosophy philosophers have and do employ. As so often, and as Wittgenstein remarked, "the main cause of a philosophical disease: a one-sided diet".

By the way, you might want to notice, that when Spinoza and Descartes were using the geometrical model of philosophy, it was part of that model that the axioms (so-called) were self-evident, known by intellectual intuition, and therefore, unquestionable. So, even given the geometrical model you assume is the only model of philosophy, you are wrong to think that it is part of that model to question the axioms. Indeed, on the contrary, is a a part of that model that the axioms are unquestionable.

Finally, let us draw the curtain of modesty (if not shame) on the citation of the combination of, 'I believe Reconstructo quoted Feyerabend - he and Kuhn both draw attention to the paradigm, which is kind of a super-set of axioms".

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 08:37 pm
@kennethamy,
Perhaps we are most often blinded by our unconsciousness axioms...that space itself is not curved for instance. If one views philosophy as the science of science, then philosophy should investigate such axioms, seek them out even. One might view philosophy as the science that aspires to the greatest "turning radius." Philosophy as the neck of an owl. Philosophy can be viewed as the most radical and experimental art of science, even as the ambivalent self-consciousness of science. One might argue that the supposed rejection of metaphysics was just the implicit adoption of a radically pragmatic metaphysics, which has obviously worked in many ways.

I've been reading about digital physics lately. Fascinating stuff. I feel that the tension between the discrete and the continuous remains relevant. The man in the street just wants his plane to land on time, or a more memory for his i-phone. I personally do not want to be so easily satisfied in a logical sense. I still see causality as a tricky issue, despite its blindingly obvious usefulness. Also, we might consider that all measurement is imperfect, and must be imperfect, if only because we can imagine infinite precision. Or can we? Do we? We have concepts of perfect continuous lines, curves, etc., it seems, but cannot process transcendental numbers. Our computers must run on rational approximations. After language, computers are arguably our most important tools now. What does this mean? How many pixels does it take to represent a perfect circle, allowing that the use can "zoom in"? Etc.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 10:42 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;162264 wrote:
One might view philosophy as the science that aspires to the greatest "turning radius." Philosophy as the neck of an owl. Philosophy can be viewed as the most radical and experimental art of science, even as the ambivalent self-consciousness of science. One might argue that the supposed rejection of metaphysics was just the implicit adoption of a radically pragmatic metaphysics, which has obviously worked in many ways.

I suppose that one might do all of these things since it is still a free country. But I would not, since I have not the faintest idea of what they mean, or even might mean. In particular what it would mean to say that philosophy was the neck of an owl? It seems to me more likely that Italy is the leg of Europe than that. Don't you think so? In any case, I would venture that people who talk the way you do under the guise of philosophy are, although not necks of owls, are pains in the neck.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 03:10:45