Philosophy and the rise of science

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Jebediah

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 06:49 pm
@prothero,
prothero;159727 wrote:
While those who accepted the logical positivism assertions about "statements which can not be verified are meaningless" and the less dogmatic assertions of the analytic philosophy (logical analysis of language) about what types of inquires would be meaningful might not think a lot of metaphysics is worthwhile.

Those trends however I think have run their course, since such assertions themselves can not be verified and I think the trend now is a return to more traditional philosophical questions. Of course, not everyone thinks this is a good thing.

I don't think it matters that such assertions can't be verified. It doesn't seem like an assertion that needs to be made.

jeeprs wrote:
if God is a completely transcendent being or intelligence, then there is no way He can be described by or accomodated in our hypothetical descriptions of the way things work. This actually goes right to the point of the OP. To wonder about the particular causes of particular phenomena, and to frame hypotheses with explanatory power for that range of phenomena, is one type of thinking. But to wonder about 'the first cause' or 'the source of all being' is a different kind of thinking.

This is what I don't understand. If God is something transcendent of our intelligence, what use is the different way of thinking? Why assume that a transcendent god is something that can be thought about at all?

For example, you might say that, although science can measure the distance between here and another galaxy, and estimate the number of stars in that galaxy, the actual distance and the number of stars are beyond our comprehension. I agree. But I would not then go, "to comprehend them requires a different kind of thinking". I would simply say, we can measure it scientifically, but not truly comprehend it.

It is true that there are "unscientific" (in quotes) ways of explaining things that can lead to greater understanding than technical documentation. But Dennet (who jeeprs has on the scientist side) uses those in his writing to make the technical parts clearer.

So what is this "different kind of thinking" about? How do you know, deep down, that you aren't just presuming things because the feel intuitive?

jeeprs

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 06:54 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;159722 wrote:
I don't think any disputes that it's a different kind of thinking. The question is whether it is a worthwhile kind of thinking.

That may be true, but many people don't really understand what it is they believe is not worthwhile, so they will dismiss it without ever having really understood it. Many believe that philosophical thinking, or mystical thinking (and these are also different to each other) are really just degenerate forms of scientific thinking. But to understand them requires taking a different perspective. Which they won't take, because... And here we have a regress.

There are different kinds of characters, with different kinds of outlooks. I just want everyone to play nicely in the yard.:bigsmile:

---------- Post added 05-04-2010 at 10:56 AM ----------

Jebediah;159732 wrote:
This is what I don't understand. If God is something transcendent of our intelligence, what use is the different way of thinking? Why assume that a transcendent god is something that can be thought about at all?

Because of the testimony of sages - those who have encountered Him (it/that/nothing/whatever.) There is a consistent type of testimony that occurs cross-culturally, and trans-historically. I won't say that they say the same thing, or all have the same outlook - they don't. But there is enough commonality to compare them, which is the main point of the discipline of comparative religion.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:17 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;159719 wrote:
But I think you are mistaking 'mystical thinking' for a theory or a proposition in a scientific sense. It is just a completely different type of understanding or outlook. There is a book doing the rounds called 'God: The Hypothesis that Failed'. It is of course an atheist tract.

But why is not that God exists what Hume called it, "the theistic hypothesis"? That X exists is always an hypothesis. It really will not do to argue that it is not an hypothesis because if it were, it would fail. You see that, don't you?

Jebediah

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:22 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:
Because of the testimony of sages - those who have encountered Him (it/that/nothing/whatever.) There is a consistent type of testimony that occurs cross-culturally, and trans-historically. I won't say that they say the same thing, or all have the same outlook - they don't. But there is enough commonality to compare them, which is the main point of the discipline of comparative religion.

But now, God is no longer transcendent and not comprehensible by intellect, since many people have had some idea of him. So the question is the same--"what is this different kind of thinking"?

I guess the idea is, if these people came to the conclusion spontaneously, and without talking to each other, then there must be something mystical. But it seems like they have come to quite different conclusions (no god, one god, many gods; afterlife, reincarnation, no afterlife) and they all have in common that they are human and prone to certain human tendencies.

jeeprs;159733 wrote:
That may be true, but many people don't really understand what it is they believe is not worthwhile, so they will dismiss it without ever having really understood it. Many believe that philosophical thinking, or mystical thinking (and these are also different to each other) are really just degenerate forms of scientific thinking. But to understand them requires taking a different perspective. Which they won't take, because... And here we have a regress.

There are different kinds of characters, with different kinds of outlooks. I just want everyone to play nicely in the yard.:bigsmile:

So those who haven't taken the different perspective can't judge the different perspectives. But, taking the cue from the first quote, what if we have the testimony of those who were raised in that perspective, cross-culturally, and trans-historically, who then judged it to be a mirage of sorts? It seems to me that we have many people who have understood the "different kind of thinking" and who have decided (despite great pressure to the contrary) that it was not worthwhile.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:27 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;159732 wrote:
So what is this "different kind of thinking" about? How do you know, deep down, that you aren't just presuming things because the feel intuitive?

That is also a very good question. Actually I think we are somewhat culturally deficient in this matter (I got severely flamed over this recently as you may recall but will try again...) 'Types of thinking' have been rigidly circumscribed in recent Western intellectual history, mainly by the influence of Luther and Calvin. In regards to spirituality, Luther in particular insisted on a specific type of understanding through the specific Word of God, as expressed in the only true scripture...and all else was deviance. In protestantism, I don't think you are encouraged to enter the experiential dimension of the mystical side of faith. Basically the only thing you can do is to believe, and anyway, your salvation is entirely up to God, who is entirely inscrutable, and so on.

Please tell me if I have mis-characterised protestant religiosity here.

By way of alternative, there are those who by one means or another have opened up to the mystical sensibility, and this even can happen in those of an otherwise quite secular temperament. Of course one route to this was via entheogens, the experience of which is quite impossible to convey. But there are many reasons why this kind of thing is taboo in our society, protestant religiosity being a major one....

---------- Post added 05-04-2010 at 11:29 AM ----------

Jebediah;159744 wrote:
So those who haven't taken the different perspective can't judge the different perspectives. But, taking the cue from the first quote, what if we have the testimony of those who were raised in that perspective, cross-culturally, and trans-historically, who then judged it to be a mirage of sorts? It seems to me that we have many people who have understood the "different kind of thinking" and who have decided (despite great pressure to the contrary) that it was not worthwhile..

Be interested to see who. I suppose there are always dissidents, critics and so on. Ancient India had a vigorous materialist school called the Carvakas who were totally opposed to any kind of spirituality. But if you do the reading, the unanimity of the accounts of the experience of the sacred is really quite convincing.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:38 pm
@kennethamy,
It does not follow that because we think differently about something, that the something we think about is not the very same thing. I may think about a table as a piece of furniture to be peddled. And someone else may think about the very same table aesthetically. But how would it follow that we were not thinking of the very same table? Can't we have different perspectives about one and the same thing?

Jebediah

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:59 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;159746 wrote:
That is also a very good question. Actually I think we are somewhat culturally deficient in this matter (I got severely flamed over this recently as you may recall but will try again...) 'Types of thinking' have been rigidly circumscribed in recent Western intellectual history, mainly by the influence of Luther and Calvin. In regards to spirituality, Luther in particular insisted on a specific type of understanding through the specific Word of God, as expressed in the only true scripture...and all else was deviance. In protestantism, I don't think you are encouraged to enter the experiential dimension of the mystical side of faith. Basically the only thing you can do is to believe, and anyway, your salvation is entirely up to God, who is entirely inscrutable, and so on.

Please tell me if I have mis-characterised protestant religiosity here.

Oh, I know very little of protestantism :bigsmile:

Quote:
By way of alternative, there are those who by one means or another have opened up to the mystical sensibility, and this even can happen in those of an otherwise quite secular temperament. Of course one route to this was via entheogens, the experience of which is quite impossible to convey. But there are many reasons why this kind of thing is taboo in our society, protestant religiosity being a major one....
Quote:
Be interested to see who. I suppose there are always dissidents, critics and so on. Ancient India had a vigorous materialist school called the Carvakas who were totally opposed to any kind of spirituality. But if you do the reading, the unanimity of the accounts of the experience of the sacred is really quite convincing.
Taking these two together, I think I have underestimated your point. I was thinking of people who have been raised into one religion or another, or who have believed in a "different kind of thinking" for some time, and then changed their mind. So I was disagreeing with what you said about those who "don't understand, and dismiss it...and so a regress".

But I see you specifically said "sages". Perhaps you are suggesting, that some people have had an greater ability for insight. Not sure how I missed that first time around. But, isn't it still etiher incomprehensible to us, or attainable by other means? Perhaps someone could be born who could naturally comprehend the vastness of the distance between Earth and another galaxy. Would their writings help us comprehend it? I have eyesight, could I describe what it is like to see to a blind man? And if it is incomprehensible to us, how do we know that it isn't something that science could reach too? I recall an interview I saw with a savant type, who could do huge calculations because he "saw" the answer in various colors. But, I can also use those calculations. I believe this savant could "see" the answers, because I have checked his answers myself, and they were correct.

So then, if sages have had insight, why would that change the way we ourselves investigate the world? It seems to me that we are given a number of testimonials, and beside them a set of tools. Do we use the tools despite their defects, or do we pick one of the testimonials?

I think in general science is quiet about many kinds of things. And people who find those useful (for example meditation) are tempted to say "well, you have science, but this other kind of thinking outside of science is tremendously useful". But it seems to me that they are just as interested in verifying their believes to the best that they can. And it seems to me that whenever scientists make a discovery, they are doing a "different kind of thinking" (to however small a degree) than science (as it stands currently). They often talk of paradigm shifts for example.

This is becoming very lengthy. But essentially, the inability of science or analytic philosophy to answer a given question at this time is perhaps an indicator that the question cannot be answered at this time, rather than an indicator that we need to use more mystical kinds of thinking. Or, alternatively, it can be answered by a different kind of thinking, but not verified or distinguished from countless false answers to the question. Which is rather like not being able to answer it at all.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:08 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;159755 wrote:

This is becoming very lengthy. But essentially, the inability of science or analytic philosophy to answer a given question at this time is perhaps an indicator that the question cannot be answered at this time, rather than an indicator that we need to use more mystical kinds of thinking. Or, alternatively, it can be answered by a different kind of thinking, but not verified or distinguished from countless false answers to the question. Which is rather like not being able to answer it at all.

Yes, exactly. From the fact that we cannot discover the answer to the question, where is The Fountain of Youth, by thinking geographically, it does not follow that there is an answer to that question if we think mythically. The answer to that question is, nowhere.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:11 pm
@kennethamy,
There are some specific lines of enquiry, and types of understanding, that are emerging, that are really rather good, actually.

Have a look at Science and Nonduality.

Went to the first conference last Oct and would very much like to go to the next one also.

The role of the sages is of course much more clear cut in traditional societies. They have kind of been displaced by 'experts' in the modern world. But the sage and the expert are different kinds of thing (once again!) But it's OK, that was the distinction I was seeking to make, and you have got that.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:33 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;159760 wrote:
ould very much like to go to the next one also.

The role of the sages is of course much more clear cut in traditional societies. They have kind of been displaced by 'experts' in the modern world. But the sage and the expert are different kinds of thing (once again!) But it's OK, that was the distinction I was seeking to make, and you have got that.

I daresay that is because sages are supposed to be experts in ways of living wisely. But it is now thought that either there are no such experts, or that if there are, they have different names: clinical psychologists, and so on.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:44 pm
@kennethamy,
That is not without truth. That fellow who was President of the American Psychological Association and came up with the whole Positive Psychology theory (name escapes me) was sagacious, I think. Although I am sure there are many experts who lack that special quality of insight.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:33 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;159769 wrote:
That is not without truth. That fellow who was President of the American Psychological Association and came up with the whole Positive Psychology theory (name escapes me) was sagacious, I think. Although I am sure there are many experts who lack that special quality of insight.

Very few sagacious people (if any) are sages, and very few wise-guys are wise. I think you are getting trapped by language again.

jeeprs

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:55 am
@kennethamy,
Martin Seligmann, that's who I was thinking of. He seems like a very positive sort of a thinker. I suppose whether he is a 'sage' is a matter of debate.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:04 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;159849 wrote:
Martin Seligmann, that's who I was thinking of. He seems like a very positive sort of a thinker. I suppose whether he is a 'sage' is a matter of debate.

Maybe he is "a sort of 'sage'",but that doesn't mean he is a sage, does it? Just as, "sort of 'philosophers'" are not philosophers.

attano

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:40 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;159354 wrote:
[...] I wonder what such people would expect? Let's turn it around a little and ask what we would think of philosophy had it not changed with the rise of science, the most important development in Western civilization since the rise of Christianity, and certainly on a par with it. Not only could it not have happened that philosophy would not change in response to the rise of science, but it would hardly be philosophy had it not.

I do not object to that.
The pair Christianity-Science is very well chosen. Because Science (together with Democracy) is our time's religion, isn't it?
(Only a madman would question the sacred truth of Science...)

kennethamy;159354 wrote:
Philosophy was forced to recognize that its old claim to discover truth and reality could not be seriously maintained when that was exactly what the empirical sciences were claiming. The only expedient philosophy had in response to that claim while continuing to maintain its own claim to be making discoveries about truth and reality was to try to distinguish between different kinds of truth and different kinds of reality.

This is more debatable. (You are trying to synthesize here and I apologize to you if I look like exploiting the inevitable approximations - actually I am going to make some rough approximations too).
Indeed, philosophically speaking, there was a change. The principa prima, that were unquestionable in pre-scientific age philosophy, relied on religious-metaphysical elements. The rational mechanics eventually managed to give a proved account of the universe without those principia.
The success of Science led to the assumption that everything that we sense (in some way) is real and can be scientifically explained. Hence the claim that Science is the only true knowledge of the being, or that the scientific method is the only way to proceed to achieve knowledge, extended its hegemony over large parts of the West - and notably over the Anglosphere.

This claim is no longer Science, it is something else. (And, philosophically, it is questionable; Hume and Kant gave some reasons for questioning it - and both were not exactly metaphysical thinkers).
"Going analytic" means not to question this claim.
But one philosophy can be equally concerned with Science moving from different beliefs. And indeed the first problem arise with the question: what is Science, what is the scientific method? Do we really know what Science is?
We are clearly impressed by the power of Science, by the power to control and subdue forces and elements. Is this awe in front of the power of Science still scientific? Or is it something else?

Having said the above, that's not yet the reason why I dislike - or bemoan, if you prefer - analytic philosophy.
But this is a matter of taste and as I believe that my taste is not of general interest, I'll refrain from getting into it.

Twirlip

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:39 pm
@attano,
attano;160102 wrote:
The pair Christianity-Science is very well chosen. Because Science (together with Democracy) is our time's religion, isn't it?
(Only a madman would question the sacred truth of Science...)

Well-chosen, indeed. And the mention of madness is also germane, because "mental illness" has become virtually the secular equivalent of sin.

However, one should distinguish science (largely a Good Thing, in my book) from scientism, the religion made out of science (and a Bad Thing).

This raises the awkward question of what to call a believer in scientism (because "scientist" is already spoken for). I've seen "scientismist", but I would prefer the cheekier "scientismologist".

attano;160102 wrote:
The success of Science led to the assumption that everything that we sense (in some way) is real and can be scientifically explained. Hence the claim that Science is the only true knowledge of the being, or that the scientific method is the only way to proceed to achieve knowledge, extended its hegemony over large parts of the West - and notably over the Anglosphere.

This claim is no longer Science, it is something else. (And, philosophically, it is questionable; Hume and Kant gave some reasons for questioning it - and both were not exactly metaphysical thinkers).
"Going analytic" means not to question this claim.

I think (and hope) that you're mistaken in that judgement. Although many analytic philosophers are scientismologists, I don't think all are.

For instance, Linda Trinkaus Zagzebski, author of Divine Motivation Theory (2004) (a book I hope to get down to reading in earnest some time soon, but haven't even started yet) appears to be an analytic philosopher, yet she can hardly be a scientismologist, because she is a Christian.

attano;160102 wrote:
But one philosophy can be equally concerned with Science moving from different beliefs. And indeed the first problem arise with the question: what is Science, what is the scientific method? Do we really know what Science is?

I don't know, but one of my guesses is that it is a kind of institutionalisation of reason. (I won't attempt to say what Reason is!)
attano;160102 wrote:
We are clearly impressed by the power of Science, by the power to control and subdue forces and elements. Is this awe in front of the power of Science still scientific? Or is it something else?.

Obviously something else. (However, it need not amount to scientism. I'm not a scientismologist, but I am greatly in awe of science.)
attano;160102 wrote:
Having said the above, that's not yet the reason why I dislike - or bemoan, if you prefer - analytic philosophy.
But this is a matter of taste and as I believe that my taste is not of general interest, I'll refrain from getting into it.

I, for one, would quite like to hear the reasons for your dislike; for one thing, it might help me to clarify my own thoughts.

attano

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 05:00 pm
@Twirlip,
Thank-you for the attention, Twirl.

Twirlip;160113 wrote:

However, one should distinguish science (largely a Good Thing, in my book) from scientism, the religion made out of science (and a Bad Thing).

Science is a "thing". The use of the thing can be deemed as good or bad.
Maybe we can define Scientism - just a proposal - as the view that everything that is scientific (for instance: beliefs based on scientific theory, knowlewdge inasmuch echoes scientific method, actions for the progress of science) is, ipso facto, good. And maybe it is not bad, but I find it stupid.
However, anti-Scientism can be equally stupid. Such is Intelligent Design- a twisted form of anti-Scientism, imo.

Twirlip;160113 wrote:
but I would prefer the cheekier "scientismologist".

sounds terrific, but I have problems to pronounce it...Smile

Twirlip;160113 wrote:
I think (and hope) that you're mistaken in that judgement. Although many analytic philosophers are scientismologists, I don't think all are.

For instance, Linda Trinkaus Zagzebski, author of Divine Motivation Theory (2004) (a book I hope to get down to reading in earnest some time soon, but haven't even started yet) appears to be an analytic philosopher, yet she can hardly be a scientismologist, because she is a Christian.

I can well be wrong on that, or maybe inaccurate (I warned I was about to use some rough approximations). But consider also the word hegemony, that should be rather red as cultural hegemony.

Twirlip;160113 wrote:
I don't know, but one of my guesses is that it is a kind of institutionalisation of reason. (I won't attempt to say what Reason is!)

Yes, scientific is usually considered as synonymous of rational. But, as you say, do we know what is reason?

However, scientist are not always rational.
The heliocentric theory was nothing more than a model that Copernicus designed based on his theological beliefs. It was not simpler of the Ptolemaic mechanics, it did not present those traits that today would make it an accepted theory. Still, he happened to be right, but only because Galileo (and a telescope) established its scientific truth.
I doubt Newton was really rational, and even more for Einstein.

Great leaps in science are usually achieved by unorthodox thinkers, while sometimes being rational can be detrimental to Science.
Carl Friedrich Gauss, one of the greatest mathematical geniuses of all times, discovered many theorems of Lobachevsky's geometry before Lobachevsky, but he couldn't accept them...
On the other side, Pasteur's theory, about those very small beasts that no one can see and still cause diseases, did sound as the most irrational theory that could be possibly made. But he was right.

My position is that a scientific theory is just a form of interpretation, a very complex artifact that one may use to account certain patterns in his observations, but it is no comprehension of what is real. (Actually, this may still sound orthodox, while I am a lot more nominalistic).

Twirlip;160113 wrote:
(However, it need not amount to scientism. I'm not a scientismologist, but I am greatly in awe of science.)

And that's my point. Do we believe in Science or in its power? I guess the latter.

Twirlip;160113 wrote:
I, for one, would quite like to hear the reasons for your dislike; for one thing, it might help me to clarify my own thoughts.

That's flattering! :flowers:
Beware, you asked. I am about to spill my guts, don't complain if you don't like what you are going to see.

As you say, there are many analytic philosophers and they are not all alike. Those that I have happened to read are generally quite boring, with the exception of Russel, possibly.
Being boring it's not exactly a fault, notably for a philosopher. But this dullness is often coupled with a lack of intellectual courage and honesty that is really saddening. I'll focus on one philosopher that I am quite close to despise: G.E. Moore.

What is Moore to me?
An academic, playing his part in life, concerned with carving a niche were his job would become useful, socially accepted and rewarded.
A fat cat looking forward to joining people like him in his club.
Somebody born old, waiving his hands to reassure that all naive belief is true, that the good feelings of the good people do have a market value in philosophy, and those that disagree are evil.
A dull form of platonism, totally stripped of pathos, assuming that we live in the best of possible worlds.
The prolonged manipulation of concepts near to intellectual onanism, in order not to cast a glance beyond his professor's desk.

jeeprs

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 05:01 pm
@kennethamy,
Just one complementary observation: science has been spectacularly successful in the realm of the physical sciences - physics itself, chemistry, and the application of the above to technology and engineering. However when science turns its attention to H Sapiens, or rather on ourselves, it is dealing with questions of a completely different nature. We are not stuff to be manipulated or things to be analysed. I object to the scientific and/or naturalistic accounts of human nature insofar as it attempts to subordinate said nature to 'the scientific method' by taking humans as objects of study. It is invariably patronising and simplistic.

Twirlip

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 05:16 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;160151 wrote:
Just one complementary observation: science has been spectacularly successful in the realm of the physical sciences - physics itself, chemistry, and the application of the above to technology and engineering. However when science turns its attention to H Sapiens, or rather on ourselves, it is dealing with questions of a completely different nature. We are not stuff to be manipulated or things to be analysed. I object to the scientific and/or naturalistic accounts of human nature insofar as it attempts to subordinate said nature to 'the scientific method' by taking humans as objects of study. It is invariably patronising and simplistic.

Yes. Homo sapiens is just one (mutable) species among many, and we wouldn't have learned that (deeply disturbing) fact just from introspection or religious revelation. On the other hand, we're tying our hands behind our backs if we refuse to know Homo sapiens in any way other than the way in which we can know any species at all. There is a quite crazy kind of scientistic "we", some kind of purely imaginary, Frankenstein-constructed transcendental subject [no doubt an incorrect use of that term, for which I will be chastised!], which imagines that "we" can (and must) stand back from ourselves at a proper scientific distance, and believe only what we can observe of ourselves as if we were rats - a "rattomorphic" view of mankind (was it Koestler who coined this term?), in place of an anthropomorphic view of nature.

jeeprs

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 06:03 pm
@kennethamy,
I think what bugs me is people strutting around talking about 'a proper scientific understanding of life'. It always reminds me of Stalinist Communism. Look here old chaps, enough of all this religious obscurantism, let's turn the power of science on this business of being human. Sort it out in no time, eh? I get this a lot from the Dawkins-Dennett mob. Kind of this patient exasperation at our stubborn unwillingness to just submit to their obviously sensible explanations of life, consciousness and everything.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:33:54