Are you real or is it just me?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:24 pm
@richrf,
richrf;97522 wrote:
Rich

Yes, if you think it is real, then it is real until you learn otherwise. And even then you might be just part of a scam. Such is life.

Rich

But why cannot I think something is a real diamond and it turn out to be made of glass? Many people have been swindled. Whether a something is real or fake has nothing whatever to do with what anyone thinks is real or fake. Wherever did you get such a notion? (And how could it be a scam if the diamond is real because you think it is? If it is real, then it cannot be a scam).

Zacrates

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:24 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;97414 wrote:
It seems to be a problem without a solution then. Do you think it might be interesting to discuss how we could/should conduct our lives, in light of your conclusion that we cannot tell the difference between real and fake?

Yes that seems like a good idea.....

TickTockMan;97414 wrote:
What do you think, Zacrates? This is your thread.

Would you accept living your life the way richrf seems to be proposing?

I am not sure what I would do, because if all of you are fake, than I would change the way I live, but there is the chance that you could be real... I can never truly know i guess.....

kennethamy

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:29 pm
@Zacrates,
Zacrates;97525 wrote:
Yes that seems like a good idea.....

I am not sure what I would do, because if all of you are fake, than I would change the way I live, but there is the chance that you could be real... I can never truly know i guess.....

But we can tell the difference between real and fake. And if I cannot, then others can. So what would the discussion be about?

Zacrates

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:34 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;97529 wrote:
But we can tell the difference between real and fake. And if I cannot, then others can. So what would the discussion be about?

The real, and fake I am talking about, is how do I know that you are all real people and not people created for my personal world, etc.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:36 pm
@Zacrates,
Zacrates;97531 wrote:
The real, and fake I am talking about, is how do I know that you are all real people and not people created for my personal world, etc.

What is a fake person? A robot?

Zacrates

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:38 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;97532 wrote:
What is a fake person? A robot?

read the other posts in the thread

kennethamy

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:49 pm
@Zacrates,
Zacrates;97533 wrote:
read the other posts in the thread

I have. What has a person that a fake person doesn't have? The way a diamond has that a fake diamond does not have? It may, of course, be that you hallucinate a person, the way a drunk may hallucinate a pink elephant. But that would not be a fake person. That would not exist at all. A fake pink elephant is not an hallucination. (Drunks do not see fake pink elephants). And a fake person is not an hallucination.

richrf

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;97524 wrote:
But why cannot I think something is a real diamond and it turn out to be made of glass? Many people have been swindled. Whether a something is real or fake has nothing whatever to do with what anyone thinks is real or fake. Wherever did you get such a notion? (And how could it be a scam if the diamond is real because you think it is? If it is real, then it cannot be a scam).

People are fooled people. People can fool people. Some say it is real. Some say it is not real. One just never knows. If you have something valuable to sell, you just hope you find someone who thinks it is real. You take a chance. If you think there is certainty you will learn a lot in your life.

Rich

YoungSocrates

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 09:32 pm
@Zacrates,
I agree with that idea. It may sound self-centered, but it is possible that the only reason you and the many others are here is simply a test for another world. In this world we are randomly placed in a society with no idea how we truly got here, and are surrounded by people who claim to be one of us. How do we now this is truth? How could we know this is truth? I've been pondering on that thought for quite sometime, and it is quite possible that the only reason that you would hear me telling you this is because I am giving you the answer. I am not, but if i was i would not want you to believe me, right? But maybe the only reason i read Zacrate's post is for the world to make me believe that my theory is incorrect and it has been thought of and therefore can not be possible. The only thing i know for sure is that i exist, possibly I am not complete lyphysically in this place, but definitely i am still mentally here. Do not be quick to reject others' ideas, that is the seed of ignorance, and the death of mankind.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 11:31 pm
@richrf,
richrf;97537 wrote:
People are fooled people. People can fool people. Some say it is real. Some say it is not real. One just never knows. If you have something valuable to sell, you just hope you find someone who thinks it is real. You take a chance. If you think there is certainty you will learn a lot in your life.

Rich

What do you mean one never knows? Iron Pyrite looks like gold, but is not gold, and this can be easily shown by any chemist with quantitative analysis. You need to learn some chemistry. You think that gold dealers cannot tell fool's gold from gold? Prospectors could. See the film, The Treasure of Sierra Madre. Wherever did you get such an idea? (And you think that professional jewelers cannot tell genuine diamonds from fake diamonds?? And if someone buys a diamond without making sure it is real, he is an idiot).

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 01:18 am
@kennethamy,
richrf;97537 wrote:
If you have something valuable to sell, you just hope you find someone who thinks it is real.
Rich

Why wouldn't someone think that what you are selling is real, especially if they are looking right at it?

YoungSocrates;97548 wrote:
I agree with that idea. It may sound self-centered, but it is possible that the only reason you and the many others are here is simply a test for another world. In this world we are randomly placed in a society with no idea how we truly got here, and are surrounded by people who claim to be one of us. How do we now this is truth? How could we know this is truth? I've been pondering on that thought for quite sometime, and it is quite possible that the only reason that you would hear me telling you this is because I am giving you the answer. I am not, but if i was i would not want you to believe me, right? But maybe the only reason i read Zacrate's post is for the world to make me believe that my theory is incorrect and it has been thought of and therefore can not be possible. The only thing i know for sure is that i exist, possibly I am not complete lyphysically in this place, but definitely i am still mentally here. Do not be quick to reject others' ideas, that is the seed of ignorance, and the death of mankind.

I think I may speak for others when I say, "Huh?"

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 02:15 am
@Zacrates,
Pinch yoursel and you will feel it, pinch someone else and you will not feel it

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:23 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;97577 wrote:

That's true. But, so what? (Anyway, if I pinch someone else I will feel my pinching him. And he won't feel that).

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:42 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;97634 wrote:
That's true. But, so what? (Anyway, if I pinch someone else I will feel my pinching him. And he won't feel that).

But it is you that is feeling hurt on yourself when you pinch yourself and on on your fingers when you pinch him. So some will twist logic and say because you can not feel the effect of your pinching of the other person, from your subjective perceptive he does not exist.

But nevertheless he exists because you can smell and hear him Smile

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:29 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;97637 wrote:
But it is you that is feeling hurt on yourself when you pinch yourself and on on your fingers when you pinch him. So some will twist logic and say because you can not feel the effect of your pinching of the other person, from your subjective perceptive he does not exist.

But nevertheless he exists because you can smell and hear him Smile

I suppose he would exist even if you could not smell or hear him. In fact, he would exist even if you did not.
I think what you may mean is that you know he exists because you can smell and hear him. And, yes. If you can smell and hear him, then you know he exists (and therefore, that he exists). But his existence does not depend on whether or not you can smell, hear, or even, pinch him.

I know of no one who argues that if you cannot feel what another feels, that other does not exist.

Zacrates

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 02:59 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;97577 wrote:

I agree with this thanks for posting it!!

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 03:05 pm
@Zacrates,
Zacrates;97743 wrote:
I agree with this thanks for posting it!!

Whoever disagreed with that? Except, maybe, Bill Clinton, who kept saying, "I can feel your pain". So, maybe when he pinched Monica, he could feel her pinch.

But, the interesting question is, why can I not feel your pinch? Have you thought of that?

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 01:56 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;97653 wrote:
I suppose he would exist even if you could not smell or hear him. In fact, he would exist even if you did not.
I think what you may mean is that you know he exists because you can smell and hear him. And, yes. If you can smell and hear him, then you know he exists (and therefore, that he exists). But his existence does not depend on whether or not you can smell, hear, or even, pinch him.

I know of no one who argues that if you cannot feel what another feels, that other does not exist.

Have you thought kennethamy that from your perceptive if you were to vanish so would the whole of existence, so strangly we might be more important that we know

Some physicists postulate that the universe only exists because there are sentient beings like us observing it. This idea is just an extrapolation of quantum theory where a fundamental particle can only be said to exist if it is observed

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 02:03 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;97831 wrote:
Have you thought kennethamy that from your perceptive if you were to vanish so would the whole of existence, so strangly we might be more important that we know

Some physicists postulate that the universe only exists because there are sentient beings like us observing it. This idea is just an extrapolation of quantum theory where a fundamental particle can only be said to exist if it is observed

If I were to vanish, existence would not vanish. Only my knowledge of existence would vanish. Since physicists also point out that the world existed long before there were sentient beings, how could they also point out that existence depends on being observed? Both cannot be true.

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 02:53 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;97833 wrote:
If I were to vanish, existence would not vanish. Only my knowledge of existence would vanish. Since physicists also point out that the world existed long before there were sentient beings, how could they also point out that existence depends on being observed? Both cannot be true.

As far as you are concerned in you were to vanish, both you and the universe are no more

Maybe the universe is just an illusion of your vivid imagination and this post is just you debating with yourself

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:56:50