Can we know that something doesn't exist?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 11:34 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;133257 wrote:
Yes, common sense does tell us that those are two separate things. Anyone that claimed otherwise would be foolish. Fortunately that's not the issue here. We're debating whether or not there is a relationship between the two separate things. There's no confusion that I can see.

What kind of relation have you in mind? Obviously, the truth value of a statement could not be known unless it had a truth value. On the other hand, it can have a truth value, and that truth value need not be known, Have you any other relation in mind? What?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 11:42 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;133263 wrote:
What kind of relation have you in mind? Obviously, the truth value of a statement could not be known unless it had a truth value. On the other hand, it can have a truth value, and that truth value need not be known, Have you any other relation in mind? What?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 11:45 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;133265 wrote:
YOU CANNOT REFER TO ENTIRE UNIVERSE IN TERMS OF EXISTING STARS WITHOUT A SPECIFIC OBSERVER POINT O VIEW WHICH IS RELATIVE...

...so yes the question does not make sense...from different places you might get both numbers...

All right. Switch to the question about the number of grains of sand on the beach at Albufeira. You don't like the stars example, then how about the grains of sand example? It makes no difference.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 11:49 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;133266 wrote:
All right. Switch to the question about the number of grains of sand on the beach at Albufeira.

Have you been there ? Smile

if think Relativity still would apply but the difference is of the Scale...negletable for practical purposes...

---------- Post added 02-27-2010 at 12:51 PM ----------

...you would have to consider the movement of the grains with the wind and the Sea waves in relation to each other...

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 11:52 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;133267 wrote:
Have you been there ? Smile

if think Relativity still would apply but the difference is of the Scale...negletable for practical purposes...

Could you try answering the question? Does it have a truth value or not? I have been there.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 11:54 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;133269 wrote:
Could you try answering the question? Does it have a truth value or not? I have been there.

prothero

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:00 pm
@hue-man,
Could we say for instance "that living dinosaurs (tyrannosarus rex say) do not exist on the earth in the current time?" If we are specific enough can we say with reasonable certainty, truth or knowledge that some things do not exist, in specific places at specific times?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:04 pm
@prothero,
prothero;133271 wrote:
Could we say for instance "that living dinosaurs (tyrannosarus rex say) do not exist on the earth in the current time?" If we are specific enough can we say with reasonable certainty, truth or knowledge that some things do not exist, in specific places at specific times?

In relation to a given observer yes we could...the question is what current time yours or mine ???

---------- Post added 02-27-2010 at 01:06 PM ----------

In this case in both they would not exist, but the question still fails to refer which current time...yours or mine...

prothero

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:01 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;133272 wrote:
In this case in both they would not exist, but the question still fails to refer which current time...yours or mine...
Yours (subjective), mine (subjective), or ours (objective). Objective reality is in some sense shared reality, is it not? No observation is independent of the observer or the method of observation but when we can all independently do the same experiment and get the same results we start to call it an "objective" result?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:05 pm
@prothero,
prothero;133284 wrote:
Yours (subjective), mine (subjective), or ours (objective). Objective reality is in some sense shared reality, is it not? No observation is independent of the observer or the method of observation but when we can all independently do the same experiment and get the same results we start to call it an "objective" result?
extreme objectification fails to refer I guess...

---------- Post added 02-27-2010 at 02:09 PM ----------

hue-man

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:18 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;133237 wrote:
I guess we have returned to the question, what does it mean not to serve a function as a proposition. What function does it not serve? It is either true or false that the number of stars in the universe is odd, isn't it? So, in the sense that it has a truth value, it does SF. What function doesn't it serve? (I did not, in any way, say that it is verified that that number or stars is odd. I said only that the statement has a truth value. Not one we know, of course, but that's different).

As I've already said, in reality it is either true or false that the number of stars in the universe is odd but my argument is not metaphysical. My argument is epistemic and semantic. Saying that the number of stars in the universe is odd serves no function as a proposition because it cannot be verified at this time due to an epistemic limitation on our part. So when I say that it has no truth value I should instead say that it has no value as a proposition. It is therefore more correct to say that the number of stars in the universe may be odd or I believe that the number of stars in the universe is odd versus saying that the number of stars in the universe is odd.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:58 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;133270 wrote:

What is negligible? How can a truth-value be negligible? What are you talking about?

---------- Post added 02-27-2010 at 03:02 PM ----------

hue-man;133290 wrote:
As I've already said, in reality it is either true or false that the number of stars in the universe is odd but my argument is not metaphysical. My argument is epistemic and semantic. Saying that the number of stars in the universe is odd serves no function as a proposition because it cannot be verified at this time due to an epistemic limitation on our part. So when I say that it has no truth value I should instead say that it has no value as a proposition. It is therefore more correct to say that the number of stars in the universe may be odd or I believe that the number of stars in the universe is odd versus saying that the number of stars in the universe is odd.

You mean that it serves no function because it cannot be verified? Fine. What function does it fail to serve? I think I have asked you that question three times now.

---------- Post added 02-27-2010 at 03:08 PM ----------

prothero;133271 wrote:

Yes, of course we can. And we often do. In fact, unless the first were true, the second could not be true.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 02:09 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;133299 wrote:
What is negligible? How can a truth-value be negligible? What are you talking about?

---------- Post added 02-27-2010 at 03:02 PM ----------

You mean that it serves no function because it cannot be verified? Fine. What function does it fail to serve? I think I have asked you that question three times now.

When you ask if the number is odd or even you might get both answers in relativistic terms...

...the difference in time frame from a n x grain to another, it is of course so small that it is for practical purpose negligible, thus you can consider the beach a working unity...from there you might deduce the possibility of a true value on the question of even or odd regarding the grains...

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 02:18 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;133305 wrote:
When you ask if the number is odd or even you might get both answers in relativistic terms...

...the difference in time frame from a n x grain to another, it is of course so small that it is for practical purpose negligible, thus you can consider the beach a working unity...from there you might deduce the possibility of a true value on the question of even or odd regarding the grains...

I am getting the impression that you are trying to avoid answering the question. The question was, is it not true that the number of grains of sand is either odd or it is even? The negligibility of the difference has nothing to do with it.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 02:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;133307 wrote:
I am getting the impression that you are trying to avoid answering the question. The question was, is it not true that the number of grains of sand is either odd or it is even? The negligibility of the difference has nothing to do with it.

Grains, people, cars, or even Stars are asserted in groups with a Space/Time frame as background...or do they exist independently of Space and Time ?
What the hell are you not understanding here ??? Jeeeeesus !!! :brickwall:

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 02:24 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;133308 wrote:
Grains, people, cars, or even Stars are asserted in groups with a Space/Time frame as background...or do they exist independently of Space and Time ?
What the hell are you not understanding here ??? Jeeeeesus !!! :brickwall:

Adeus. (I don't understand why you are not answering the question. Or, rather, I do understand).

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 02:25 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
As phenomena they cannot in truth be asserted in a group !!!

WITH NO ESTABLISHED COHERENT BACKGROUND, THE ANSWER IS BOTH ODD AND EVEN !

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 02:26 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;133310 wrote:
As phenomena they cannot in truth be asserted in a group !!!

WITH NO ESTABLISHED COHERENT BACKGROUND, THE ANSWER IS BOTH ODD AND EVEN !

That is a contradiction. The coherent background was the beach at Albufeira.

Adeus.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 02:29 pm
@kennethamy,

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 02:32 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;133312 wrote:

What answer? What premise? What argument? What are you talking about?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 07:09:31