Can we know that something doesn't exist?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

north

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 10:10 pm
@SammDickens,
yes

life does not exist on every object in the Universe

Night Ripper

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 11:19 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135064 wrote:
That may be true, but then, where does that leave your criticism of the conventional wisdom? The conventional wisdom that the Sun will rise the next day has turned out fine. So, it is not true that we can never trust it to be right. I am all in favor of the conventional wisdom being vetted by science, and corrected when necessary. But are you advocating that the CW should simply be tossed out as worthless, even before vetting? What is you view now?

My view is that conventional wisdom is conventional and may or may not be accurate. If I want to justify a belief then I must remove doubt about that belief. Conventionality doesn't do it for me.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 11:28 am
@SammDickens,
Samm;135081 wrote:
Since I know of no unicorns on this planet at this time, I cannot answer your question, but if we should find the remains of a unicorn, we might find some of those answers too. Even if they don't exist on Earth, there's a lot of worlds on which unicorns might exist.

Samm

How could a unicorn evolve? From what other magical beast. Do magical beasts have a DNA? The question is whether you think not that unicorns are logically possible, but whether they are physically possible. That is, whether their existence is consistent with the laws of nature. In this instance, with the laws of biology.

SammDickens

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 11:51 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135406 wrote:
How could a unicorn evolve? From what other magical beast. Do magical beasts have a DNA? The question is whether you think not that unicorns are logically possible, but whether they are physically possible. That is, whether their existence is consistent with the laws of nature. In this instance, with the laws of biology.

I think you and I are working with different concepts of what a unicorn is. To me, if it is at least very approximately horselike and has a big single horn projecting straight from its forehead, it is a unicorn. Magical? I don't see that as an essential trait. What sort of magic is associated with unicorns?

Samm

kennethamy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 11:56 am
@SammDickens,
Samm;135422 wrote:
I think you and I are working with different concepts of what a unicorn is. To me, if it is at least very approximately horselike and has a big single horn projecting straight from its forehead, it is a unicorn. Magical? I don't see that as an essential trait. What sort of magic is associated with unicorns?

Samm

Traditionally they were supposed to be magical beasts. Look, maybe their are horses with horns on their forehead. Unlikely, but maybe. I don't know. But would they be unicorns? If we found the fossil of one, I guess I would say, that maybe spotting them is what led people to believe there were unicorns.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:00 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;135400 wrote:
My view is that conventional wisdom is conventional and may or may not be accurate. If I want to justify a belief then I must remove doubt about that belief. Conventionality doesn't do it for me.

I wonder what sort of thing would justify a belief for you, then. We are fallible, so we can never remove all doubt. All we can do is provide good reason for our beliefs, and conventional knowledge can be good reason. If you don't think so, that's fine, but I would interested in what sorts of things you think can justify a belief. Most things I can think of have at least some margin of error.

Night Ripper

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:19 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135406 wrote:
The question is whether you think not that unicorns are logically possible, but whether they are physically possible.

When something is logically impossible, it's because it results in a contradiction. What reasoning brings you to determine something is physically impossible? Is it the fact that you've never seen x and therefore x is physically impossible? But aren't those two separate issues?

---------- Post added 03-03-2010 at 02:26 PM ----------

Zetherin;135429 wrote:
I wonder what sort of thing would justify a belief for you, then. We are fallible, so we can never remove all doubt. All we can do is provide good reason for our beliefs, and conventional knowledge can be good reason. If you don't think so, that's fine, but I would interested in what sorts of things you think can justify a belief. Most things I can think of have at least some margin of error.

Luckily for me, I'm not looking for only certain true beliefs. I'm looking for not obviously false beliefs. Those are easier to come by.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:31 pm
@hue-man,
Night Ripper wrote:

Luckily for me, I'm not looking for only certain true beliefs. I'm looking for not obviously false beliefs. Those are easier to come by.

Beliefs which correspond with conventional knowledge are obviously false?

Gracee

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 01:15 pm
@hue-man,
something that is obviously false... well thats easy...
2+2=7
10/2=3
I am not me.

Anything which is logically false.

Night Ripper

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 01:23 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;135453 wrote:
Beliefs which correspond with conventional knowledge are obviously false?

I don't recall writing that.

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:11 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;135442 wrote:
When something is logically impossible, it's because it results in a contradiction. What reasoning brings you to determine something is physically impossible? Is it the fact that you've never seen x and therefore x is physically impossible? But aren't those two separate issues?

good point. I can't get over this quote. I think Witt (& Hume & Rorty) are right.
Quote:

6.363 The procedure of induction consists in accepting as true the
simplest law that can be reconciled with our experiences.

6.3631 This procedure, however, has no logical justification but only a
psychological one. It is clear that there are no grounds for believing
that the simplest eventuality will in fact be realized.

6.36311 It is an hypothesis that the sun will rise tomorrow: and this
means that we do not know whether it will rise.

6.37 There is no compulsion making one thing happen because another has
happened. The only necessity that exists is logical necessity.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:20 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;135442 wrote:

---------- Post added 03-03-2010 at 02:26 PM ----------

Mermaids are physically impossible = the existence of a mermaid is inconsistent with the laws of nature. (In this case, the laws of biology). Another example: it is physically impossible for anything to exceed the velocity of light = it is inconsistent with the laws of nature (physics) for anything to exceed the velocity of light.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:28 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;135498 wrote:
I don't recall writing that.

Then what did you mean here? Because we had just been speaking about conventional knowledge, and how you didn't think it was good justification.

Quote:

So, all you meant here was that, in general, you're not looking for obviously false beliefs? Ah, I see. Well, thanks for that insight :detective:

Night Ripper

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:35 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135861 wrote:
Mermaids are physically impossible = the existence of a mermaid is inconsistent with the laws of nature. (In this case, the laws of biology). Another example: it is physically impossible for anything to exceed the velocity of light = it is inconsistent with the laws of nature (physics) for anything to exceed the velocity of light.

How would you know? You can't tell the difference between something that can't exist and something that doesn't exist. They look exactly alike.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 11:35 AM ----------

Zetherin;135872 wrote:
Then what did you mean here? Because we had just been speaking about conventional knowledge, and how you didn't think it was good justification.

So, all you meant here was that, in general, you're not looking for obviously false beliefs? Ah, I see. Well, thanks for that insight :detective:

No, I meant what I wrote. I'm looking for beliefs that are not obviously false. Well tested and successful is what I'm after, not the "truth".

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:38 am
@hue-man,
Night Ripper wrote:

No, I meant what I wrote. I'm looking for beliefs that are not obviously false. Well tested and successful is what I'm after, not the "truth".

Well, you ought to be seeking the truth. I mean, that's the point, isn't it? You want to know what's true, not what's false.

But I won't bicker with you over that. I just want to know how you think this relates to our discussion of conventional knowledge. Or did this have nothing specifically to do with conventional knowledge as a means of justification?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:45 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;135927 wrote:
How would you know? You can't tell the difference between something that can't exist and something that doesn't exist. They look exactly alike.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 11:35 AM ----------

I really don't see how either could look like anything, so I don't see how they could look alike. But I suppose that we can tell that something that has a velocity that exceeds the velocity of light physically cannot exist since such a thing would be inconsistent with the laws of physics. Of course, it follows from that, that we could not observe such an object since it does not exist. If something cannot exist, then it does not exist. That is a necessary truth.

Night Ripper

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:55 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135936 wrote:
But I suppose that we can tell that something that has a velocity that exceeds the velocity of light physically cannot exist since such a thing would be inconsistent with the laws of physics.

So, you know that something can't exceed the speed of light because it's a law of physics. And you know it's a law of physics because you've never seen it happen?

Apparently you don't understand the difference between something that you've never seen and something that can't exist.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 12:00 PM ----------

Zetherin;135931 wrote:
Well, you ought to be seeking the truth. I mean, that's the point, isn't it? You want to know what's true, not what's false.

I also want to live forever but I'm not out looking for a way to achieve what seems highly unlikely.

Zetherin;135931 wrote:
But I won't bicker with you over that. I just want to know how you think this relates to our discussion of conventional knowledge. Or did this have nothing specifically to do with conventional knowledge as a means of justification?

You seemed to think I was having a crisis and I was just alleviating your concerns. I'm not worried about skepticism since I'm not after the truth.

If you want justification, which is to remove doubt about a belief, then you want certainty. As Vico puts it, "humans know what they make by hand". We make systems of logic. We didn't make the universe. If you want certainty then stick to logic.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:07 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;135941 wrote:
So, you know that something can't exceed the speed of light because it's a law of physics. And you know it's a law of physics because you've never seen it happen?

Apparently you don't understand the difference between something that you've never seen and something that can't exist.

Yes, I know something cannot happen if it is inconsistent with scientific law, but I don't think we know that something is a scientific law simply from observation. It is more complicated than that. For instance, we need a theory. We do not know that water freezes because its molecules slow down when it decends to a certain temperature because we have observed the molecules slowing down. In fact, that scientific law, that water freezes when its molecules slow down is a part of a theory that partly rests on observation. Again, we do not know that nothing exceeds the speed of light because we have observed that nothing does. It isn't as if we have tried to accelerate objects beyond the speed of light, and when we found we could not do it, we concluded that nothing could exceed the velocity of light. That was a conclusion from the theory of Relativity. No one has ever seen anything exceed the velocity of light because it is physically impossible for anything to exceed the velocity of light. That is, such an event would be inconsistent with a law of nature.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:09 am
@hue-man,
Night Ripper wrote:

I also want to live forever but I'm not out looking for a way to achieve what seems highly unlikely.

Very interesting. So you don't believe that humans can know anything? (because that would mean that humans had access to truth; one cannot know what is false, only what is true)

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:14 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;135948 wrote:
Very interesting. So you don't believe that humans can know anything? (because that would mean that humans had access to truth; one cannot know what is false, only what is true)

I thought that if someone knew that a proposition was false, then necessarily he would know that it was true that the proposition was false. So you cannot know only that propositions are false, since to do that you have to know that the proposition that they are false is, itself, true.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 01:56:23