Truth

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:07 pm
@Owen phil,
A person's words/beliefs are just part of them. We have been trained to assume a universal, that there is one answer to applies to all of this. Did this come Newton and physical science, which appeared then to be a universal "law?"

Did the middle class invent universalism to tear down the aristocracy? Did the more spirited members of this eventually triumphant class turn universalism against the middle class finally, in the name of the primitive and the proletariat?

Why should there be one answer the question of truth? Is this our guilt shrunken monotheism at play? Oh who shall claim its withered arm to fight beside him in the battle for prestige and natural resources?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:16 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;125306 wrote:
A person's words/beliefs are just part of them. We have been trained to assume a universal, that there is one answer to applies to all of this. Did this come Newton and physical science, which appeared then to be a universal "law?"

Did the middle class invent universalism to tear down the aristocracy? Did the more spirited members of this eventually triumphant class turn universalism against the middle class finally, in the name of the primitive and the proletariat?

Why should there be one answer the question of truth? Is this our guilt shrunken monotheism at play? Oh who shall claim its withered arm to fight beside him in the battle for prestige and natural resources?

What is the question of truth? I guess that if there is more than one question, there will be more than one answer. Wouldn't you. The philosophical question of truth is: what is truth? And Aristotle's answer seems to me right:

To say that what is, is, and to say that what is not, is not, is to say what is true.

Doesn't that seem right to you?

Fido

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:23 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;125312 wrote:
What is the question of truth? I guess that if there is more than one question, there will be more than one answer. Wouldn't you. The philosophical question of truth is: what is truth? And Aristotle's answer seems to me right:

To say that what is, is, and to say that what is not, is not, is to say what is true.

Doesn't that seem right to you?

True enough, but not the half of it...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:26 pm
@Fido,
Fido;125332 wrote:
True enough, but not the half of it...

That's right. The other half is: To say what is false is to say that what is, is not, or to say that what is not, is.

That's the entire thing.

Fido

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;125333 wrote:
That's right. The other half is: To say what is false is to say that what is, is not, or to say that what is not, is.

That's the entire thing.

At the risk of repeating myself here, truth is life, and we must consider this everytime we are denied truth by fellow citizens, or the government...We will die, and people die every day in this world for the want of truth, and those who deny them truth do them a terrible injustice...Truth is also a form of relationship, and in that sense is very flexible, but without the form of truth, the relationship is doomed...We are so used to being lied to, to being spun, or massaged, that we do not realize how much we can be injured by miscommunication, which is usually deliberate...It is a crime which should have no other penalty but contempt...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:51 pm
@Fido,
Fido;125338 wrote:
At the risk of repeating myself here, truth is life, and we must consider this everytime we are denied truth by fellow citizens, or the government...We will die, and people die every day in this world for the want of truth, and those who deny them truth do them a terrible injustice...Truth is also a form of relationship, and in that sense is very flexible, but without the form of truth, the relationship is doomed...We are so used to being lied to, to being spun, or massaged, that we do not realize how much we can be injured by miscommunication, which is usually deliberate...It is a crime which should have no other penalty but contempt...

No matter how many times you repeat that truth is life, I still don't think I'll understand what that means. It certainly cannot mean that truth is identical with life, since there are cases of life and no truth, and cases of truth and no life. So, what does it mean?

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:04 pm
@Fido,
Fido;125338 wrote:

Fido, if you could define what truth and life are, by saying more than "truth is life", it would help me understand your meaning...

I mean, this is the epistemology branch of the forum... so when truth is used it is meant in connection to a theory of knowledge in most cases. That's what's confusing...

Fido

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:13 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;125353 wrote:
Fido, if you could define what truth and life are, by saying more than "truth is life", it would help me understand your meaning...

I mean, this is the epistemology branch of the forum... so when truth is used it is meant in connection to a theory of knowledge in most cases. That's what's confusing...

Sorry O Guise of Epistimology, but truth is as truth does, and life, yours and mine is the result, the proof really, of truth... We survive by what we know...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:27 pm
@Fido,
Fido;125357 wrote:
Sorry O Guise of Epistimology, but truth is as truth does, and life, yours and mine is the result, the proof really, of truth... We survive by what we know...

If you happen to mean that knowing (or believing) the truth has a great deal of survival value, then, of course, I agree with you. But why didn't you just say that in the first place, instead of uttering the obscure, "truth is life"?

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:34 pm
@Fido,
Fido;125357 wrote:

That's really all you're saying? That life is proof of truth?

I'm disappointed...

prothero

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:45 pm
@Owen phil,
what happened to truth as correspondence?
or
Truth as consensus?
or
Truth as coherence and consistency?
How do we know there are not eternal truths?

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:48 pm
@prothero,
prothero;125365 wrote:
what happened to truth as correspondence?
or
Truth as consensus?
or
Truth as coherence and consistency?
How do we know there are not eternal truths?

I would argue that "truth" in these forms is not truth at all, merely an agreement about experiences or ideas.

The important question is not whether there are eternal truths or not, but whether we can know these truths if they exist.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 02:50 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;125362 wrote:

I'm disappointed...

I am afraid that it is pretty typical in philosophy that someone says something that sounds really interesting and contrary to received opinion, and then, when we find out what he really means, it turns out to be pretty prosaic, but dressed up in gaudy language. (Either that, or if he really means what he says, it turns out to be clearly false). David Hume pointed this out over and over again about philosophers.

Fido

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 05:23 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;125362 wrote:

I'm disappointed...

The two are but different sides of the other... Think of logic...Does it not always have to be logical to some body??? Is it not all from a certain perspective, so that what is logical to one may not seem so cut and dried to another...What is the difference...What is reasonable is reasonable in terms of ones own life...People are reasonable in terms of morality, and society seems unreasonable...It is because society has a larger view of life, the life of society, and individuals can only see the truth of the matter through a narrow focus of their individual lives...

---------- Post added 02-06-2010 at 06:39 AM ----------

kennethamy;125381 wrote:
I am afraid that it is pretty typical in philosophy that someone says something that sounds really interesting and contrary to received opinion, and then, when we find out what he really means, it turns out to be pretty prosaic, but dressed up in gaudy language. (Either that, or if he really means what he says, it turns out to be clearly false). David Hume pointed this out over and over again about philosophers.

Stuff a cork in it kenny...I have perfectly valid reasons for saying what I say, and you might give me time to reply before spouting off...

kennethamy

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 10:11 am
@Fido,
Fido;125394 wrote:
The two are but different sides of the other... Think of logic...Does it not always have to be logical to some body??? Is it not all from a certain perspective, so that what is logical to one may not seem so cut and dried to another...What is the difference...What is reasonable is reasonable in terms of ones own life...People are reasonable in terms of morality, and society seems unreasonable...It is because society has a larger view of life, the life of society, and individuals can only see the truth of the matter through a narrow focus of their individual lives...

I thnk

Stuff a cork in it kenny...I have perfectly valid reasons for saying what I say, and you might give me time to reply before spouting off...

I think what you said is true. Remember? That knowing or believing the truth has survival value. Of course it does. But why say it in a way so that no one knows you are saying that, and no one knows what you are saying? Fancy language (or philosophese) does not help, and is not necessary. Relax. I am agreeing with you. Just giving you a little advice. Say it clearly; say it simply.

Emil

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 11:07 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;125381 wrote:

Where did he point that out? Pyrrho mentions this all the time, so I should have guessed that he had it from Hume.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 12:24 pm
@Emil,
Emil;125449 wrote:
Where did he point that out? Pyrrho mentions this all the time, so I should have guessed that he had it from Hume.

I think that is an implication of Hume's fork. Either a relation of ideas (or a trivial truth) or clearly false. We discussed this before on the other site, didn't we?

Scottydamion

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 06:38 pm
@kennethamy,
Fido;125394 wrote:

Well Fido, the point of language is to create a base for discussion, so if you don't think that's a good idea you might want to become a hermit, lol. Logic in language is required for us to communicate, that is why we must all be taught a familiar structure.

kennethamy;125429 wrote:
I think what you said is true. Remember? That knowing or believing the truth has survival value. Of course it does. But why say it in a way so that no one knows you are saying that, and no one knows what you are saying? Fancy language (or philosophese) does not help, and is not necessary. Relax. I am agreeing with you. Just giving you a little advice. Say it clearly; say it simply.

Fancy language is the devil... Nietzsche proved that with all his references to french, lol.

Fido

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 11:56 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;125429 wrote:

Let me calrify this: Hand me the glass wax...

---------- Post added 02-07-2010 at 01:05 PM ----------

Scottydamion;125543 wrote:
Well Fido, the point of language is to create a base for discussion, so if you don't think that's a good idea you might want to become a hermit, lol. Logic in language is required for us to communicate, that is why we must all be taught a familiar structure.

Fancy language is the devil... Nietzsche proved that with all his references to french, lol.

It is all well and good to desire logic, and seek logic in language...When you are talking about truth, and even life, and myriad other notions conveyed by language, what you are talking about are moral forms, and such forms have no being, and have only meaning...If we were talking of physical forms we could use numbers, and there be strictly logical, but since we are talking of meaning only we must find their logic rather than applying logic to them... It is a wonder the French have produced so many philosophers while their language seems so illogical, and a woonder too that the Germans have produced so few, (though perhaps better) when their language seems the model of precision...If we recognize our subject, we are left with little choice but a subjective expression for a subjective experience...I think it is unavoidable...

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 05:42 pm
@Fido,
In some cases we want all the certainty (a feeling?) that we can get. At other times uncertainty is Fancy Feast.

YouTube - Rorty on Uncertainty

For some psychological background on Rorty, here's another video. He's embarrassing and impressively open here. One sees here the old story of the little misfit/weakling who could. How does this relate to truth? I suspect that philosophy is often autobiography in the tuxedo of the Universal.

YouTube - Richard Rorty talks about his childhood

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:03:05