Truth

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:20 am
@Owen phil,
Owen;113009 wrote:
The various theories of truth are mental constructions.

The situations that we would describe as true or false, do exist without mind but, we cannot express them because there is no 'we'.

If we know, we can show.

1. I agree. Truth is a ("mobsolete"?) adjective applied sentences.
2. Situations are made partially of this we. Nothing exists that hasn't been processed by the human mine (mind (mined?)).
3. If we know, we can show. Yes, if we associate knowledge with language, which we usually do. For if all we know if a metaphor (which isn't proof but the manufacturing of dissent/descent/ the scent), we still have our crystalline virus like code made of particular words that can be deciphered. I would say that some knowledge is poetry-wisdom which is "proven" is a different way. It's a white lie that puts a gleam in our eye.

Owen phil

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:52 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;112760 wrote:
I think this hinges on the problem of being. What is it to be? Is consciousness an essential element of being? Are both consciousness and its object the co-creators of being? Or is "being" a hopelessly vague word, just like "existence"?

---------- Post added 12-19-2009 at 05:51 PM ----------

I enjoyed your post. I do see a difficulty thought. What sort of statement is the sentence above? How can this verification principle itself be verified? I think this statement could be elaborated on. I offer you this from Wiki- what do you think?

It is frequently argued that the verification principle is self-refuting, in that its axioms are neither empirically verifiable nor tautologous.
Verificationism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---------- Post added 12-19-2009 at 05:54 PM ----------

I agree. I also think that truth is a property of sentences.

---------- Post added 12-19-2009 at 05:55 PM ----------

This is a good point. There are things we assume that can be verified that are not worth the effort.

Reconstructo,
"What is it to be? Is consciousness an essential element of being?"

I think therefore I am, is true.
I pee therefore I am, is true.
I am wearing a red coat, therefore I am, is true.

Existence (being) is defined (x exists) =df EF(Fx).

If x has some property then x exists.

Consciousness is not an essential element of being at all.

This rock is hard implies this rock exists, is true.

Reconstructo,
"It is frequently argued that the verification principle is self-refuting, in that its axioms are neither empirically verifiable nor tautologous.
Verificationism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"

Axioms cannot be show to be the case, within the system that uses them, they are the primitive (undecidable) beliefs of deductive systems.
When an axiom is verified it then becomes a theorem and not an axiom.

Reconstructo,
"I agree. I also think that truth is a property of sentences."

Agreed. Ef(f(p) <-> p is true), is true.

mickalos

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:28 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113010 wrote:
1. I agree. Truth is a ("mobsolete"?) adjective applied sentences.

If you think it's "mobsolete", presumably you would rather express statements like, 'the next thing Reconstructo says will be false', using infinite disjuncts.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:56 am
@Owen phil,
Owen;113001 wrote:
Counting the number of grains of sand would provide a method of showing that the number of grains of san is even or odd, is true or false, if it could be done.

Future tense statements cannot be shown to be the case or not until the time referred to arrives. Future tense statements are not decidable propositions at all.

Truth, language and logic/mathematics etc., are constructions of mind not of the world.

Certainly, the world (states of affairs) remain when there are no minds but there is no possible means of expressing truth or falsity without mind.

How could it be known that 1+1=2, without mind??

There cannot be 'eternal truths'.

. I have as good reason to believe I will die (and that you will die) as I have that Abraham Lincoln died, (Not to mention that the Sun will rise tomorrow, and even the day after tomorrow).

. A truth is a fact in the world. But to say that something is true is to say something about a property of sentences. Truths are no construction of the mind. No more than are facts.

Nothing can be known without a mind. But then, nothing could be known without something to know.

I have already given an example of an eternal truth. Here is another. Somerville is a college in Oxford University in 2008.

Zetherin

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:13 am
@Owen phil,
Owen wrote:
That the moon existed before mind, is a belief not knowledge.

It is a belief. I also think it's justified - backed by thousands of scientists, within various fields. And I think it is true. You don't think it is true that the moon existed before the human mind?

Do you think that we cannot know things which have happened before we were born? I know that John Locke was born, and his being born happened way before my mind ever existed. Do you think this is just a belief, and not knowledge?

Quote:
The moon is spherical implies the moon exists, iff, there are minds present to interpret and understand the statement.
Otherwise 'The moon is spherical implies the moon exists' is mere scribbles.

Sure, the proposition, "The moon is spherical implies the moon exists" wouldn't be interpreted if we were not here. But this does not mean the moon wouldn't be spherical, or that the moon wouldn't exist, if we were not here.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:24 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;113027 wrote:
It is a belief. I also think it's justified - backed by thousands of scientists, within various fields. And I think it is true. You don't think it is true that the moon existed before mind?

Do you think that we cannot know things which have happened before we were born? I know that John Locke was born, and his being born happened way before my mind ever existed. Do you think this is just a belief, and not knowledge?

Sure, the proposition, "The moon is spherical implies the moon exists" wouldn't be interpreted if we were not here. But this does not mean the moon isn't spherical, or that the moon doesn't exist.

All knowledge is belief. And, if we don't know that the Moon predated people, then we don't know much of anything at all. I wonder what more he thinks we would have to know to know that the Moon existed before people did.

Zetherin

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:29 am
@Owen phil,
Owen wrote:
Future tense statements cannot be shown to be the case or not until the time referred to arrives. Future tense statements are not decidable propositions at all.

I will die some day in the future.

I will have a mother next week.

I will be older next month.

Aren't these future tense statements? You don't think these statements are true, you don't think these are decidable propositions? So, you think there's a chance I won't have a mother next week, or that I won't age a month from now?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:30 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113010 wrote:
1. Nothing exists that hasn't been processed by the human mine (mind (mined?)).

Processed cheese exists. And it was not processed by the human mind.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 02:05 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;113029 wrote:
I will die some day in the future.

I will have a mother next week.

I will be older next month.

Aren't these future tense statements? You don't think these statements are true, you don't think these are decidable propositions? So, you think there's a chance I won't have a mother next week, or that I won't age a month from now?

But isn't there a chance you won't have a mother next week, or that you will not age a month from now? Or even that you won't die sometime in the future? Therefore, if, as I think, we can know that future contingents are true, it cannot be that it is because there is no chance that they are false.

Zetherin

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 03:38 pm
@Owen phil,
kennethamy wrote:
But isn't there a chance you won't have a mother next week, or that you will not age a month from now? Or even that you won't die sometime in the future?

I meant by having a mother next week, not that she would necessarily be alive next week, but that it would still be true that I had had a mother at some point in time.

I think I always get older.

And I think I will die sometime in the future. Based on the fact that we know all humans eventually die.

If you mean that it is logically possible that any of these things aren't true in some way or another, sure. But I was hinting at plausibility. And I still believe all of these things are true, mainly based on other propositions I believe to be true, but I could be mistaken. But because I could be mistaken is no reason to think I am mistaken, and I certainly don't think I'm mistaken.

Quote:
Therefore, if, as I think, we can know that future contingents are true, it cannot be that it is because there is no chance that they are false.

Perhaps the implausibility can simply be a justification for our beliefs that some future contingents are true. I think you are right, though, that it is not the reason they are true. No matter our certainty or uncertainty, or our justification or lack of justification, it does not change what is true and what is false.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 05:34 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;113060 wrote:
I meant by having a mother next week, not that she would necessarily be alive next week, but that it would still be true that I had had a mother at some point in time.

I think I always get older.

And I think I will die sometime in the future. Based on the fact that we know all humans eventually die.

If you mean that it is logically possible that any of these things aren't true in some way or another, sure. But I was hinting at plausibility. And I still believe all of these things are true, mainly based on other propositions I believe to be true, but I could be mistaken. But because I could be mistaken is no reason to think I am mistaken, and I certainly don't think I'm mistaken.

Perhaps the implausibility can simply be a justification for our beliefs that some future contingents are true. I think you are right, though, that it is not the reason they are true. No matter our certainty or uncertainty, or our justification or lack of justification, it does not change what is true and what is false.

If you die, you do not get older.
I do not disagree with your conclusion. But I don't think that the possibility that you are wrong is any reason to think that either any of these is not true, nor that you do not know they are true. (As you have just said).

Fido

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 05:41 pm
@Owen phil,
Owen;112673 wrote:
IMO,

Truth is that which can be shown to be the case.

Both empirical truth and logical truth apply.

Factual truth is decided by scientific methods.

Analytic truths are decided by logical methods.

Truth is relative to the system that decides it.

There is no absolute truth because there is no system of decision that is absolute.

No system of decision contains all truths.

To know is to show.

Truth exists iff there are minds.

There are no 'eternal' truths.

What we show when we prove a proposition is its truth.

Absolute, ideal, and perfect are descriptions that may be applied to all forms... And truth is a social form, and a form of relationship...Yet; it is by the perfect that we judge the real, and imperfect examples of truth...It is just an idea...And a good one because we can say truth is life, and life is the ultimate judge of truth, because what is false also kills...So, in that sense, truth is eternal, because as long as truth lives we may live...And when we can be certain that all we thought right now wrong will bury us...

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:35 pm
@Owen phil,
Owen;113015 wrote:

Consciousness is not an essential element of being at all.

This rock is hard implies this rock exists, is true.

I think the existence question is a matter of usage. I don't mind how a person prefers to use it, but I must object to limiting its application to the objective.
Main Entry:
Pronunciation: \ig-ˈzist\
Function: intransitive verb
Etymology: Latin exsistere to come into being, exist, from ex- + sistere to stand, stop; akin to Latin stare to stand - more at stand
Date: circa 1568
1 a : to have real being whether material or spiritual <did unicorns exist> <the largest galaxy known to exist> b : to have being in a specified place or with respect to understood limitations or conditions <strange ideas existed in his mind>
2 : to continue to be <racism still exists in society>
3 a : to have life or the functions of vitality <we cannot exist without oxygen> b : to live at an inferior level or under adverse circumstances <the hungry existing from day to day>

I've got nothing against axioms. I think we all live on them. I suppose I like to emphasize the necessity of the axioms and metaphors that ground our thinking as a counterweight to formal logic and positivism which neglect perhaps the significance of this.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:54 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113102 wrote:
I think the existence question is a matter of usage. I don't mind how a person prefers to use it, but I must object to limiting its application to the objective.
Main Entry:
Pronunciation: \ig-ˈzist\
Function: intransitive verb
Etymology: Latin exsistere to come into being, exist, from ex- + sistere to stand, stop; akin to Latin stare to stand - more at stand
Date: circa 1568
1 a : to have real being whether material or spiritual <did unicorns exist> <the largest galaxy known to exist> b : to have being in a specified place or with respect to understood limitations or conditions <strange ideas existed in his mind>
2 : to continue to be <racism still exists in society>
3 a : to have life or the functions of vitality <we cannot exist without oxygen> b : to live at an inferior level or under adverse circumstances <the hungry existing from day to day>

I've got nothing against axioms. I think we all live on them. I suppose I like to emphasize the necessity of the axioms and metaphors that ground our thinking as a counterweight to formal logic and positivism which neglect perhaps the significance of this.

But as the term "exist" is actually used, having properties is both a sufficient and necessary condition of existing. So, X is hard does imply that X exists. Nothing can have a property unless it exists.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:03 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;113109 wrote:
But as the term "exist" is actually used, having properties is both a sufficient and necessary condition of existing. So, X is hard does imply that X exists. Nothing can have a property unless it exists.

I agree. Existence is like a predicate behind all other predicates. "Being discloses beings." But that's only if we don't make it clear in context that "exist" is applied in the objective sense. In the objective sense, the issue of Being (Heidegger's sort, capitalized) can be ignored. And I think we usually know from the context what is expected.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:07 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113114 wrote:
I agree. Existence is like a predicate behind all other predicates. "Being discloses beings." But that's only if we don't make it clear in context that "exist" is applied in the objective sense. And I think we usually know from the context what is expected.

I do not follow what you say. I surely don't know what the "objective sense" of "exist" is supposed to be. But the point (again) is that it is a truth about how the word "exist" is used, that whatever has properties, exists. So, having properties supposes existence. Which is why existence is not a property of objects.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:13 pm
@Owen phil,
Well, existence is not a property of objects, not really. But what is it? Is it just the confusion of grammar, a bewitchment of language? What is it to be? Yes, it's a strange question, perhaps a poet's question. But Heidegger was like that, it seems. I myself find the issue fascinating. As a child it suddenly occurs to one: why does any of this exist at all? Big Bang and evolution are not really the answer we want. We want something behind all that. Even if it's an unpractical question, it stirs the mind. Heidegger said "thinking is thanking." Does the problem of being help us take our existence for granted less?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:22 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113117 wrote:
Well, existence is not a property of objects, not really. But what is it? Is it just the confusion of grammar, a bewitchment of language? What is it to be? Yes, it's a strange question, perhaps a poet's question. But Heidegger was like that, it seems. I myself find the issue fascinating. As a child it suddenly occurs to one: why does any of this exist at all? Big Bang and evolution are not really the answer we want. We want something behind all that. Even if it's an unpractical question, it stirs the mind. Heidegger said "thinking is thanking." Does the problem of being help us take our existence for granted less?

It is a meta-property. A property of properties. It is the property of properties being instantiated (exemplified). In plain English, the property of properties being the properties of something. Thus, to say that tigers exist, is to say that the properties of being, striped, feline, large, carnivorous, being native to Asia, etc. are instantiated (exemplified). In other words, something has those properties.

Nothing exotic.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:24 pm
@Owen phil,
Right, but what do you think about being? Don't you find it strange? A core concept?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:28 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113120 wrote:
Right, but what do you think about being? Don't you find it strange? A core concept?

Being what? ........... I replied to the question, what is existence, and all you comment is, "right", and then ask me a question whose meaning I don't understand? Do you agree that to say that something exists is to say of it that it has properties?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 04:59:47