Defining Reason and Rationality

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Deckard

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 05:25 am
@Reconstructo,
kennethamy;109773 wrote:
David Hume believed that the question of whether animals were rational depended on whether animals could draw inferences, and to what extent they could.

Reconstructo;110073 wrote:
Interesting Quote from Wiki, that touches upon my questions...

Quality of Rationality
...such an idealized form of rationality is best exemplified by computers, and not people. However, scholars may productively appeal to the idealization as a point of reference.

Interesting. Animals are a little rational, perhaps even plants are secretly rational but that's a stretch. Stones definitely are not rational. Stones are the ideal of the irrational. Computers the ideal of the rational? Computers made of silicon, silicon is stone. Rationality is irrationality. Reducto ad adsurdum. That's a joke but I think there's a point, possibly several.

Reconstructo;110392 wrote:
For me, rationality is not a separate thing than persuasion. It's a form of persuasion. A person can lay out their propositions and conclusions and still be doubted, for humans don't for the most part live on propositions and conclusions. You're quite welcome to your use of the word, of course, but for me it's too narrow of a use. I strive toward a more holistic understanding of human thought and behavior.

Ethos, logos and pathos can all be used as rhetorical devices of persuasion. Is that the only way these things can be considered?

Does logos have a life outside of rhetoric? If so then what is that life? If not then our task is to differentiate logos from ethos and pathos.

(Is logos rationality. "Rational animal" in greek is "Zoon logikon" so I'm going to say close enough.)

kennethamy

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 06:50 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;110410 wrote:
Whatever you like, bro. But it's pretty obvious what I meant.

Then let me in on it. I don't know what you meant, since I can read only what you write.

---------- Post added 12-18-2009 at 07:55 AM ----------

Deckard;112327 wrote:

(Is logos rationality. "Rational animal" in greek is "Zoon logikon" so I'm going to say close enough.)

Maybe. Now, if only we we knew what "logos" was.

Deckard

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:03 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;112335 wrote:

Maybe. Now, if only we we knew what "logos" was.

Logos, Ethos and Pathos were described by Aristotle in the Rhetoric (brackets mine).

Quote:
Of the modes of persuasion furnished by the spoken word there are three kinds. The first kind depends on the personal character of the speaker [ethos]; the second on putting the audience into a certain frame of mind [pathos]; the third on the proof, or apparent proof, provided by the words of the speech itself [logos].
If the idea here is to define the terms rationality and reason (logos) I thought it would help to differentiate logos from its counterparts ethos and pathos. Granted I am appealing to the authority of Aristotle here (ethos). But defining terms almost always requires an appeal to authority. Examples include, the authority of a dictionary, the authority of Aristotle, the authority of consensus...and if one defines the term oneself, then one claims oneself to be the authority.

Reconstructo, you tend to conflate ethos, pathos and logos together and mix them up into various combinations and mutations. This is allowed I suppose and these combinations reveal something about the plastic nature of logos/pathos/ethos. I get that. However, I think you exaggerate your case. At some point we need to decide upon a definition we need to agree to the definitions of the terms we are discussing otherwise everyone will be talking about different things.

Ah! I have something: Is it possible to appeal to the authority of reason? I say: "No!". Reason must be participated in. Persuasion that relies upon authority and reputation of the speaker (ethos) is following the advice of another without thinking about it - no participation at the level of understanding.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:21 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;112348 wrote:
Logos, Ethos and Pathos were described by Aristotle in the Rhetoric (brackets mine).

Oh. Well now, that's settled. What else is there on the agenda?

Deckard

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:05 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;112353 wrote:
Oh. Well now, that's settled. What else is there on the agenda?

The Aristotle quote I provided defined these terms by their roles within rhetoric. Does reason, rationality, logos have a life outside of rhetoric?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:11 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;112374 wrote:
The Aristotle quote I provided defined these terms by their roles within rhetoric. Does reason, rationality, logos have a life outside of rhetoric?

I imagine so. In mathematics, for instance, or in science.

Deckard

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:23 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;112376 wrote:
I imagine so. In mathematics, for instance, or in science.

Would you care to expand on that? Attempt to provide the mathematical definition of reason or rationality for example.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:28 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;112378 wrote:
Would you care to expand on that? Attempt to provide the mathematical definition of reason or rationality for example.

Didn't you ask whether "reason, rationality, logos have a life outside of rhetoric" ? My answer is, yes. In mathematics and science, and also elsewhere.

Deckard

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:33 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;112381 wrote:
Didn't you ask whether "reason, rationality, logos have a life outside of rhetoric" ? My answer is, yes. In mathematics and science, and also elsewhere.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:37 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;112383 wrote:

Why should I have to do that? All I said is that reason is used in mathematics and in science. What has that to do with providing a mathematical definition of reason? If I said that reason is used in playing chess, would that mean I had to give a chessic definition of reason?

Deckard

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:39 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;112384 wrote:
Why should I have to do that? All I said is that reason is used in mathematics and in science. What has that to do with providing a mathematical definition of reason? If I said that reason is used in playing chess, would that mean there I had to give a chessic definition of reason?

You don't "have to" do anything but yes I would be very interested in reading your chess related definition of reason. Good idea. Give it a try.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:43 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;112385 wrote:
You don't "have to" do anything but yes I would be very interested in reading your chess related definition of reason. Good idea. Give it a try.

There is no chessic definition of reason. Why should there be one? If I said that I try to use intelligence in playing chess, would you ask for a chessic definition of "intelligence"?

Deckard

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:06 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;112386 wrote:
There is no chessic definition of reason. Why should there be one? If I said that I try to use intelligence in playing chess, would you ask for a chessic definition of "intelligence"?

Sure, why not? What's your chess related (chessic) definition of intelligence? Or perhaps a better way to phrase it: What is reason within the context of a chess game? What are the qualities of an rational chess player? How can you tell that a chess player is being rational? What sort of things does that person do that make you say: "That person just isn't being rational?" Asking "What makes a rational chess player?" is very similar to asking the question: "What makes a good chess player?"

Another example would be the art of conversation (which, I would like to point out, is a very different sort of thing from a chess match.). What is reason within the context of a conversation? What are the qualities of a rational conversationalist? How can you tell that the person you are talking to is being rational? What sort of things does that person do that make you say: "that person just isn't being rational?" Asking "What makes a rational conversationalist?" is very similar to asking the question: "What makes a good conversationalist?"

kennethamy

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:10 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;112391 wrote:
Sure, why not? What's your chess related (chessic) definition of intelligence? Or perhaps a better way to phrase it: What is reason within the context of a chess game? What are the qualities of an rational chess player? How can you tell that a chess player is being rational? What sort of things does that person do that make you say: "That person just isn't being rational?" Asking "What makes a rational chess player?" is very similar to asking the question: "What makes a good chess player?"

Another example would be the art of conversation (which, I would like to point out, is a very different sort of thing from a chess match.). What is reason within the context of a conversation? What are the qualities of a rational conversationalist? How can you tell that the person you are talking to is being rational? What sort of things does that person do that make you say: "that person just isn't being rational?" Asking "What makes a rational conversationalist?" is very similar to asking the question: "What makes a good conversationalist?"

You think that for every activity in which intelligence is used, that there is a separate definition of "intelligence"? Why? You don't think that for every pair of shoes you buy, that there is a separate way in which you put on those shoes, do you? Getting back to "rationality", I think that Hume was on the right track when he held that rationality is the ability to draw inferences from the known to the unknown. And we use that ability in chess, as well as in philosophy, or in mathematics. "Logic" has been described as the science of inference, and that would explain the close connection between rationality and logic.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:29 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;112327 wrote:

Does logos have a life outside of rhetoric? If so then what is that life? If not then our task is to differentiate logos from ethos and pathos.

Actually I've generally thought of "logos" in a broader sense than Aristotle's. I suppose, for me, it means discourse, word. I often use logos in contrast to math, for instance, as words function quite differently than numbers.
His rhetoric trinity is excellent, but I was exposed to these terms first in other contexts, so their meanings are not only associated with rhetoric for me but also with art and psychology (ethos connects for me to ego-ideal...)

Wiki:

In ordinary, non-technical Greek, logos had two overlapping meanings. One meaning referred to an instance of speaking: "sentence, saying, oration"; the other meaning was the antithesis of ergon (ἔργον) or energeia (ἐνέργεια), meaning "action" or "work", which was commonplace. Despite the conventional translation as "word", it is not used for a word in the grammatical sense; instead, the term lexis (λέξις) is used. However, both logos and lexis derive from the same verb legō (λέγω), meaning "to count, tell, say, speak".[3] Logos also means the inward intention underlying the speech act: "hypothesis, thought, grounds for belief or action." [4]
The primary meaning of logos is: something said; by implication a subject, topic of discourse, or reasoning. Secondary meanings such as logic, reasoning, etc. derive from the fact that if one is capable of legein (λέγειν; infinitive of legō), i.e. speech, then intelligence and reason are assumed.

Deckard

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 03:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;112392 wrote:
You think that for every activity in which intelligence is used, that there is a separate definition of "intelligence"? Why? You don't think that for every pair of shoes you buy, that there is a separate way in which you put on those shoes, do you? Getting back to "rationality", I think that Hume was on the right track when he held that rationality is the ability to draw inferences from the known to the unknown. And we use that ability in chess, as well as in philosophy, or in mathematics. "Logic" has been described as the science of inference, and that would explain the close connection between rationality and logic.

So we have at least two entries so far just as a dictionary has several entries for the same word.

1. The ability to draw inferences from the known to the unknown. (With reference to Hume)

2. One of the three methods of persuasion aka logos compare and contrast with ethos and pathos (With reference to Aristotle's Rhetoric)

3. Reconstructo do you have a third entry? Speech implies rationality. Rationality as the consequent of speech. I'm not sure if you were espousing those views or just providing more info about logos.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 03:46 pm
@Reconstructo,
I would say "rational" is an adjective of praise. I believe rational comes from ratio, measure. Tautology is rare in logos (discourse made of words). Even then it's used to suggest something non-tautological, to imply an irreducibility. ("I am what I am" says God.). Math and formal logic seems to be tautological calculators, and they are extremely useful. But metaphor and trope, as essential feature of logos, do not compute tautologically. It's true that we can scan logos for a skeleton (there's a metaphor) that formal logic is fit to deal with, but much of the value of logos lies in its metaphores, tropes. I think we often apply the word "rational" to uses of metaphor that we find persuasive, useful, sane, sensible, etc. Of course "rational" is also applied to discourse's tautological skeleton.

Logos in its fullness demands a certain amount of personal interpretation. This differentiates it from math and formal logic which merely manipulate symbols according to rules.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 05:03 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;112461 wrote:
I would say "rational" is an adjective of praise. .

It certainly is. And "stupid is a term of disparagement. But that does not mean that "rational" is solely a term of praise any more than that "stupid" is solely a term. Both have descriptive senses too. Indeed, "rational" is a term of praise on account of its descriptive sense, just as calling someone "stupid" is a term of disparagement on account of the descriptive sense of "stupid". Why would "rational" be a term of praise unless it was a good thing to be rational, or stupid a term of disparagement unless being stupid were not a bad thing? Saying that "rational" is a term of praise is obviously true. But that "rational" is only a term of praise, is obviously false. For it is only because ot what it "rational" means that "rational" is a term of praise.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 05:22 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;112461 wrote:
I would say "rational" is an adjective of praise. I believe rational comes from ratio, measure. Tautology is rare in logos (discourse made of words). Even then it's used to suggest something non-tautological, to imply an irreducibility. ("I am what I am" says God.). Math and formal logic seems to be tautological calculators, and they are extremely useful. But metaphor and trope, as essential feature of logos, do not compute tautologically. It's true that we can scan logos for a skeleton (there's a metaphor) that formal logic is fit to deal with, but much of the value of logos lies in its metaphores, tropes. I think we often apply the word "rational" to uses of metaphor that we find persuasive, useful, sane, sensible, etc. Of course "rational" is also applied to discourse's tautological skeleton.

Logos in its fullness demands a certain amount of personal interpretation. This differentiates it from math and formal logic which merely manipulate symbols according to rules.

I am quoting this because it seems apparent that certain readers did not get beyond the first sentence. Regards, recon.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 05:42 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;112479 wrote:
I am quoting this because it seems apparent that certain readers did not get beyond the first sentence. Regards, recon.

After your first sentence I did not see anything relevant to the issue that you wrote, so there was nothing for me to comment on. But, what you wrote in the first sentence was only partly true, and, as we logicians like to say, partly true is wholly false.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:04:05