Speculation

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 05:06 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;81177 wrote:
Groan. Actually I really don't want to argue the case. I have said in previous threads that I consider search for truth to be something more than just the framing of propositions. Call me an existentialist, if you like. But I do recognise that different people have different motivations for contributing here.

Consider the parable of the moray eel.

The search may consist in more, but how do you express what is true or false except in terms of propositions? And, if you don't want to argue the case, then why do you expect that what you say is worthy of belief? Should we just take your word for it?

jeeprs

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 05:30 am
@Brandon Boyd,
Actually, Kennethamy, in the course of quite a few weeks, and conversations, I have directed quite a few questions your way, or things for consideration, or various arguments about what might be considered to be true. I have gotten nothing back. I can kind of see where you're coming from, but have no feeling for what you consider philosophy to be, other than the criticism of other people's postings. So I can't really see a future for this dialog at the moment. Nothing personal intended of course.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 05:51 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;81184 wrote:
Actually, Kennethamy, in the course of quite a few weeks, and conversations, I have directed quite a few questions your way, or things for consideration, or various arguments about what might be considered to be true. I have gotten nothing back. I can kind of see where you're coming from, but have no feeling for what you consider philosophy to be, other than the criticism of other people's postings. So I can't really see a future for this dialog at the moment. Nothing personal intended of course.

There is sooo much to criticize, it keeps me busy. And you, for instance never give any reasons for what you post.

Zetetic11235

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 04:29 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;81190 wrote:
There is sooo much to criticize, it keeps me busy. And you, for instance never give any reasons for what you post.

Plus, as a fellow forum member has said, 'trolling is fun'.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 04:38 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;81310 wrote:
Plus, as a fellow forum member has said, 'trolling is fun'.

I wouldn't know. Criticizing is not trolling. It is teaching.

Zetetic11235

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 04:50 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;81311 wrote:
I wouldn't know. Criticizing is not trolling. It is teaching.

I wouldn't go that far. I'd say that in practice it amounts to something more like dueling. Maybe that is the fault of both the people you criticize and your style of critique. You come off a little glib at times, do you find it to be highly effective in general?.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 05:27 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;81315 wrote:
I wouldn't go that far. I'd say that in practice it amounts to something more like dueling. Maybe that is the fault of both the people you criticize and your style of critique. You come off a little glib at times, do you find it to be highly effective in general?.

In doing what? If you mean do I think people learn, sometimes. But you really should give me an example or two of what you have in mind. You may be mistaken, or misunderstand.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:31:49