Absolute Truth is Unobtainable

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 12:41 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;69900 wrote:
As I noted, no one can consistently verify they aren't mistaken about a subject we deem knowledge. This is not humanly possible. According to you, there is no way I can say I knew the vase was on the table upon leaving for work, because, of course, I took my eyes off the vase. We can extrapolate this to nearly anything.

What things do you think you know ? It seems any example you give I could apply your logic and say, "You only believe/think you know". Seems like a waste of a word to me, unless we all agree we cannot know anything, and then we've just deemed it as some metaphysical notion and discussion is over.

Yes, as stated, new knowledge can come about with new information, as my medieval geometer example illustrates.

Keeping that in mind, how are we to assuredly say we know anything when we could in fact be wrong? The medieval geometers believed squaring a circle was scientific knowledge. They were wrong. You can say they didn't "know", but then, as I mentioned, we could realistically say we don't know anything (because 1,000 years down the road, someone could show we were wrong). Should we have to cover our asses about every topic, and never give assurance? Should we really just say we think we know about whatever topic?

That's humble, fine, I'll go with that. Then no one knows anything.

Once again I ask: What else do we have but our empirical observation at any given point in time?

I know a lot of things, and I also believe I know them. Believing you know is quite compatible with knowing.

The fact that we sometimes believe we know, and we, therefore, claim to know, and turn out to be mistaken, does not, of course, show that whenever we believe we know, and claim to know, that we are mistaken. For it is possible that when we believe we know, and claim to know, that we are right. After all, the fact that we might be mistaken is no reason at all to suppose that we are mistaken. I might (I suppose) be mistaken that I was born, but that is no reason to doubt that I was born.

So, my view is that when I believe I know, I will claim to know. And, when I don't believe I know, I won't claim to know.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 01:23 pm
@JeffD2,
kennethamy wrote:
After all, the fact that we might be mistaken is no reason at all to suppose that we are mistaken. I might (I suppose) be mistaken that I was born, but that is no reason to doubt that I was born.

This is why I would say I know the vase is on the table. I had no reason to doubt it wasn't on the table.

Quote:
So, my view is that when I believe I know, I will claim to know. And, when I don't believe I know, I won't claim to know.

This is exactly what I've been saying the entire time...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 03:20 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;69918 wrote:
This is why I would say I know the vase is on the table. I had no reason to doubt it wasn't on the table.

This is exactly what I've been saying the entire time...

But I am puzzled about one thing you said in an earlier post which I meant to mention. You wrote<

According to your logic, I didn't know the vase was on the table during the time period she took the vase off the table for cleaning.

But you didn't know the vase was on the table when it was not on the table. How could you have?

Zetherin

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:25 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;69935 wrote:
But I am puzzled about one thing you said in an earlier post which I meant to mention. You wrote<

According to your logic, I didn't know the vase was on the table during the time period she took the vase off the table for cleaning.

But you didn't know the vase was on the table when it was not on the table. How could you have?

So, I knew the vase was on the table upon leaving for work, I didn't know the vase was on the table when my wife took it off to clean, and then I knew the vase was on the table when she put it back before I came home?

Doesn't this sound a bit ridiculous? Suppose my wife took the vase on and off the table 178 times. We could go on ad infinitum.

This is why I agree with this:

Quote:

No one can know if their wife takes the vase off the table 178 times. It's not practical to keep an eye on the vase all day. If I believe/think the vase is on the table with ample justification upon leaving for work, I will say I know. It's really that simple.

richrf

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:45 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;69958 wrote:
No one can know if their wife takes the vase off the table 178 times. It's not practical to keep an eye on the vase all day. If I believe/think the vase is on the table with ample justification upon leaving for work, I will say I know. It's really that simple.

Interesting. I almost never use the word I know. If someone asked me where the vase was, I would say "I think it is on the table". I never say I know it is on the table. And if someone asked me whether someone moved the vase, I would say "Not to my knowledge". I cannot think of an instance when I would answer with the very positive sounding "I know". Maybe because of all of my life experiences, I have learned not to express certainty, since it is actually quite unnecessary and leaves options on the table. I do not assume that everything is the same, because to assume makes an as_ of you and me. (I was taught this by my first manager at work). Smile

Rich

Zetherin

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 06:29 pm
@richrf,
richrf;69962 wrote:
Interesting. I almost never use the word I know. If someone asked me where the vase was, I would say "I think it is on the table". I never say I know it is on the table. And if someone asked me whether someone moved the vase, I would say "Not to my knowledge". I cannot think of an instance when I would answer with the very positive sounding "I know". Maybe because of all of my life experiences, I have learned not to express certainty, since it is actually quite unnecessary and leaves options on the table. I do not assume that everything is the same, because to assume makes an as_ of you and me. (I was taught this by my first manager at work). Smile

Rich

Rich,

I believe when one says "know", they should acknowledge all one has is a degree of certainty. Thus, when I state, "I know...", I am not saying that I cannot be wrong. I certainly could. What I am saying is that I have ample justification for a belief in something (a high degree of certainty). Think of it as the well-known JTB, without the T. But just between the two of us, I rarely use "I know" with an authoritative voice either. I usually, like you, say, "I believe", or "I think".

After all, this is how I've always interpreted, "To the best of my knowledge". Certainly all we ever have is what we think we know, "the best" (higher degree of certainty) of our knowledge!

ACB

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;69935 wrote:

I agree with kennethamy. I have never heard anyone use the word "know" to refer to a false belief.

Let me try to clarify my view:

1. I have strong grounds for believing that the vase at home is now on the table. I believe, and therefore claim, that I know this.

2. Maybe it actually is on the table. If so, I do know it. When I later find out that it has indeed been on the table all the time, I will claim that I did know it - i.e. that I was right in believing I knew it. Since the possibility that the vase was not on the table (a) was remote, and (b) has not materialised, it can for practical purposes be ignored. So far, I fully agree with Zetherin. I certainly don't want to disallow the word "know".

3. Maybe, however, the vase is not on the table. If so, I do not know it is on the table; I only think I do. When I later find out that it was not on the table, I will claim that I never knew it - i.e. that I was wrong in believing I knew it.

4. Many things seem true beyond reasonable doubt. We are therefore justified in claiming to know them. If they turn out to be false, we will have to admit that we did not know them. But this possibility seems so unlikely that we can ignore it for practical purposes. (Who cares what happens in 1,000 years' time?) So there's no problem.

5. We should apply the same criteria to our claims that we know that X as we do to our claims that X. It is reasonable to say now, without qualification, (a) that Paris is still the capital of France, and (b) that we know Paris is still the capital of France. But if we later find that they'd already changed it, we can obviously no longer claim that (a) was true when we said it. So why should we still want to claim that (b) was true when we said it?

Zetherin - I agree that "know" should be used without regard to remote possibilities of falsity. But that does not entitle us to use it retrospectively where something was actually false. Do you see the difference?

richrf

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:41 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;69974 wrote:
Rich,

I believe when one says "know", they should acknowledge all one has is a degree of certainty. Thus, when I state, "I know...", I am not saying that I cannot be wrong. I certainly could. What I am saying is that I have ample justification for a belief in something (a high degree of certainty). Think of it as the well-known JTB, without the T. But just between the two of us, I rarely use "I know" with an authoritative voice either. I usually, like you, say, "I believe", or "I think".

After all, this is how I've always interpreted, "To the best of my knowledge". Certainly all we ever have is what we think we know, "the best" (higher degree of certainty) of our knowledge!

Yes, it is a semantic issue. I took a quick look at the dictionary and it has the word know can represent various levels of certitude:

transitive verb1 a (1): to perceive directly : have direct cognition of (2): to have understanding of <importance of knowing oneself> (3): to recognize the nature of : discern b (1): to recognize as being the same as something previously known (2): to be acquainted or familiar with (3): to have experience of2 a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain of b: to have a practical understanding of <knows how to write.

I don't think I use the word much directly. But I guess if someone asks me do you know this (in the sense of recognizing something), I would probably say yes, without getting into semantics. Smile

Rich

Rich

Fido

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:44 pm
@richrf,
richrf;69881 wrote:
Yes, that which I picture in my mind is generally not well served by the word. In fact, I may add all kinds of adjectives and still fall short.

Each mind has all kinds of ideas that it seeks to share with other minds - and it does the best it can, with the words that the individual minds have agreed upon (reached some consensus). Some languages are better than others, depending upon where you live, to relate (transmit) ideas.

You may think by means of words. I am not you, so I have no idea. As for me, when I am asleep (I do lots of thinking when I am asleep), I only see images in my dreams. No words - that I can recall.

However, when I wake up, and wish to talk about (transmit) the dreams to someone else, I will use words. Words, for me, are transmission signals. When they are heard by someone else, they form new objects within the relationship, and yes indeed these words can be considered concepts at that point. We can talk about the differences in the way one person conceives the concepts that are formed in the relationship, and the way the other person conceives the concepts formed, if we wish. For me, it is not where my interest lies. But reaching exact consensus on the nature of the word can be fun. Look at all of the definitions for a single word in the dictionary!

Rich

I think you are lying...Knowledge is judgement, and ideas are judgements, and also classifications... How do you tell a dog from a cat without the classification, or even grasp the differences without words, which are other concepts...We do not define every word in the dictionary, but we certainly judge them accurate or not, useful of not...The heavy part is done... Some one has already examined cats and dogs and described their differences, and put those differences into words...You think you can think without words??? Look at feral children, and see how great are their mental abilities...They can barely think at all about anything...Their brains do not even develope beyond the level of monkeys without language, and if they do not get language before a certain point all mental develpment is retarded... So you tell me of the quality of your thought without words, but do it without words, which you cannot do, and if you could think without the struff of thought it would be useless, because it could not be saved except through the medium of words... Would you say music or painting is on par with rational thought... If so; prove it... Both are of emotion and speak to emotions...Each is a talent that is inate, and can be improved upon but not given...So tell me your thoughts, if you have thoughts without words...

Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:16 pm
@JeffD2,
To know absolute truth we must go to the ABSOLUTE and have absolute knowledge to me this in an impossible quest, but not a futile one.

The ABSOLUTE is a dynamic ABSOLUTE so Absolute Truth moves and changes and alters all the time in accordance with new situations and challenges such as war and peace

Fido

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 05:54 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;70022 wrote:
To know absolute truth we must go to the ABSOLUTE and have absolute knowledge to me this in an impossible quest, but not a futile one.

The ABSOLUTE is a dynamic ABSOLUTE so Absolute Truth moves and changes and alters all the time in accordance with new situations and challenges such as war and peace

If you mean dynamic as in dyna; then to that I would agree... The only absolute we know, and will ever know is life...There is no point in talking about later...We need enough truth to get us through another day..

richrf

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:01 am
@Fido,
Fido;70001 wrote:
I think you are lying.....So tell me your thoughts, if you have thoughts without words...

Hi,

First off. About this lying thing ... I think you should just cut that out, if you want me to respond. I'll ignore it for now.

Human beings have not evolved yet to communicate (transmit) their thoughts without words. I certainly have thoughts and I attempt to convey them using words - some English, sometimes foreign. But those are the limits. The language grows as the universal mind expands.

Rich

Fido

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:28 am
@richrf,
richrf;70091 wrote:
Hi,

First off. About this lying thing ... I think you should just cut that out, if you want me to respond. I'll ignore it for now.

Human beings have not evolved yet to communicate (transmit) their thoughts without words. I certainly have thoughts and I attempt to convey them using words - some English, sometimes foreign. But those are the limits. The language grows as the universal mind expands.

Rich

They have not evolved to think without words; unless we consider numbers...Words are concepts, and when we communicate, we communicate with concepts...I am sorry if you are used to thinking of concepts as conceptual manifolds... Some concepts are quite simple...The concept: number, is quite simple... The concept of math is a conceptual mainfold full of many concepts...
In any respect, I don't think you have given the subject any of thought it has due, and since you seem to want to threaten me, let me tell you... Give some thought... "Lying" was a complement, considering what you said...

Zetherin

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 12:38 pm
@JeffD2,
ABC wrote:
5. We should apply the same criteria to our claims that we know that X as we do to our claims that X. It is reasonable to say now, without qualification, (a) that Paris is still the capital of France, and (b) that we know Paris is still the capital of France. But if we later find that they'd already changed it, we can obviously no longer claim that (a) was true when we said it. So why should we still want to claim that (b) was true when we said it?

(B) is all we ever have, ABC.

After doing some more research, I've found a view that echoes what I've been attempting to articulate here. The philosopher is David Hume, and he states (paraphrased from wiki):

"Hume asserts that the fallibility of human beings means that they cannot obtain absolute certainty except in trivial cases where a statement is true by definition (as in, "all bachelors are unmarried" or "all triangles have three angles"). All rational statements that assert a factual claim about the universe that begin "I believe that ...." are simply shorthand for, "Based on my knowledge, understanding, and interpretation of the prevailing evidence, I tentatively believe that...." For instance, when one says, "I believe that Lee Harvey Oswald shot John F. Kennedy," one is not asserting an absolute truth but a tentative belief based on interpretation of the assembled evidence. Even though one may set an alarm clock prior to the following day, believing that waking up will be possible, that belief is tentative, tempered by a small but finite degree of doubt (the earth might be destroyed, or one might die before the alarm goes off)."

This is exactly what I'm referring to with my vase example. All one can do is claim knowledge, a tentative belief based on interpretation of the evidence (high certainty, ample justification). If I say I know the vase is on the table upon leaving for work, I am claiming knowledge based on a tentative belief, not an "absolute truth". There is no way I can ever claim the (A) you're referring to. Unless, of course, we use a definition that in itself is true (example in quotes), or we use a fixed system (such as a formal logic truth table).

This epistemological stance, I believe, would be closely related to agnosticism.

So, in answer to your question:

Quote:
Zetherin - I agree that "know" should be used without regard to remote possibilities of falsity. But that does not entitle us to use it retrospectively where something was actually false. Do you see the difference?

Because humans do not have the capability to know of the remote possibilities of falsity, humans should be entitled to either use "know" retrospectively where something was actually false, or not use it at all. We must use it while admitting some shred of doubt, and we should be able to claim we know even if we find out later it was false. Again, the knowledge would be revised, as knowledge is relative. So, if humans discovered mars was made out of playdo instead of rock 500 years down the road, I would say we had knowledge of Mars being made of rock, yet we were wrong. Because, as I mentioned, if we do not say we held knowledge, then how are we ever to claim any knowledge? 1,000 years from now someone could prove false most things we think we now know. Without the new knowledge from 1,000 years in the future, you would most certainly claim you knew!

Fido

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 03:49 pm
@JeffD2,
Ya; Well....Tell Hume I am a married bachelor, and that accounts for the ticked off condition of my wife 99% of the time...

Zetherin

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 04:27 pm
@Fido,
Fido;70173 wrote:
Ya; Well....Tell Hume I am a married bachelor, and that accounts for the ticked off condition of my wife 99% of the time...

May I suggest stand-up comedy sometime in your future?

Fido

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:15 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;70177 wrote:
May I suggest stand-up comedy sometime in your future?

I am funnier lying down....

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 10:39 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;70134 wrote:
(B) is all we ever have, ABC.

Because humans do not have the capability to know of the remote possibilities of falsity, humans should be entitled to either use "know" retrospectively where something was actually false, or not use it at all. We must use it while admitting some shred of doubt, and we should be able to claim we know even if we find out later it was false. Again, the knowledge would be revised, as knowledge is relative. So, if humans discovered mars was made out of playdo instead of rock 500 years down the road, I would say we had knowledge of Mars being made of rock, yet we were wrong. Because, as I mentioned, if we do not say we held knowledge, then how are we ever to claim any knowledge? 1,000 years from now someone could prove false most things we think we now know. Without the new knowledge from 1,000 years in the future, you would most certainly claim you knew!

What you seem to be arguing is that since we cannot know for certain that when we claim to know, that we might be wrong, that even when we are wrong, we should be able to say we know, or knew. I don't see how the conclusion follows from the premises. It would be like arguing that since we might not be able to keep our promises when we promise to do something, that we should be allowed to promise even when we know we cannot keep our promise.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 01:18 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;70246 wrote:
What you seem to be arguing is that since we cannot know for certain that when we claim to know, that we might be wrong, that even when we are wrong, we should be able to say we know, or knew. I don't see how the conclusion follows from the premises. It would be like arguing that since we might not be able to keep our promises when we promise to do something, that we should be allowed to promise even when we know we cannot keep our promise.

I'm saying we should be able to state we hold knowledge before the new knowledge is discovered. Again, if we do not, how can we ever say we know anything? We could be wrong, and the fact that we could be wrong means, to you, that it's not knowledge. This leads me to believe you're implying we can't know anything.

Fine, I accept that. As mentioned, I'm comfortable with either saying we know nothing, or using the term in a more laxed manner that allows humans to use it practically. It seems almost useless otherwise.

ACB

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 07:46 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;70281 wrote:
I'm saying we should be able to state we hold knowledge before the new knowledge is discovered.

I agree with that. But the claim that we hold knowledge at time t should be subject to possible (though very unlikely) revision in the light of new knowledge.

I am happy to use "know" in a loose sense, so that at time t I can say both (a) "The vase is on the table" and (b) "I know the vase is on the table", even though I am not 100% certain. Thus the word "know" does have a practical use - please note that. But later information may show that the vase was not on the table at time t, meaning that statement (a) was factually wrong. Do you agree with that? Well, if so, you would surely not conclude that it is impossible to claim anything about the vase's location. So if (as I argue) the falsity of (a) automatically makes (b) false also, why should it follow that we can never claim knowledge?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 02:08:58