What is Truth and what does it mean to Exist?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Zetherin

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 10:20 pm
@deepthot,
Then we can conclude deepthot would have liked Descartes to state, "I experience life, which I couldn't do if I were a well-designed robot. Therefore, I am really real!"

We could have only come to such a great epiphany at philosophyforum.com.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 10:30 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;69342 wrote:
Then we can conclude deepthot would have liked Descartes to state, "I experience life, which I couldn't do if I were a well-designed robot. Therefore, I am really real!"

We could have only come to such a great epiphany at philosophyforum.com.

Well, robots are really real, too (I think). Or they will be soon.

Zetherin

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 10:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;69345 wrote:
Well, robots are really real, too (I think). Or they will be soon.

I'm not aware of any robots that can experience life.

We don't say modern robots have lives, do we?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 10:35 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;69347 wrote:
I'm not aware of any robots that can experience life.

We don't say modern robots have lives, do we?

Descartes said, "I think, therefore I exist", not, "I exist, therefore I think". Robots exist (or soon will).

Zetherin

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 10:37 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;69349 wrote:
Descartes said, "I think, therefore I exist", not, "I exist, therefore I think". Robots exist (or soon will).

Robots do exist.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 10:45 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;69351 wrote:
Robots do exist.

I meant the "well-designed" ones, that could pass for people.

Paggos

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 06:35 pm
@deepthot,
In the human perspective truth is valid, mostly in natures case it is theory. Truth cannot be proven by the human eye nor can the human eye be trusted.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:51 pm
@Paggos,
Paggos;73164 wrote:
In the human perspective truth is valid, mostly in natures case it is theory. Truth cannot be proven by the human eye nor can the human eye be trusted.

I can now see that there is a monitor right in front of you, and so, I bet, can you. I don't have to prove it true there is a monitor in front of me. I see it.
But I can prove it is true that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, quite easily. I have only to cite Hammond's latest atlas, or the World Book of Facts.

deepthot

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 05:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;69340 wrote:
A well-designed robot? But, of course, the robot is real.

I wasn't using "real" in the sense of "not imaginary" but rather to mean: what you intensely focus upon and give full attention to - as the most highly-meaningful thing in your life at that moment. That is what is "real" to us!

I believe lots of academics are too literal here.

In everyday street parlance if one says "Now that's a real topic," s/he means: "That's what I'm intensely interested in."
"So let's get to the real issue here !!!"

We all select from the undifferentiated universe out there the factors to which we give our attention - we differentiate a few elements - and that is what we call "reality." It is our reality. And it's always a miracle if two or more individuals can agree on the same concepts. I celebrate such events. It's awesome when we can find a consensus. The possibilities of what to select to differentiate out are infinite.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.58 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:31:47