What is Truth and what does it mean to Exist?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

richrf

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 11:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;67537 wrote:
Well, so is the game of chess a human invention (what other kind is there?) and it is still true that when I played chess last night, my king was checkmated. So being an invention is not incompatible with truth. It may indeed be that there are other theories of truth. But the question is what is the best theory, or even, the true theory. There were lots of theories of disease, too. But it turns out the germ theory is the true theory, and I would be opposed to making room for the theory of the humors, or the theory of the miasma, or even the theory that evil spirits cause disease. Wouldn't you? Or would you be tolerant of clearly false theories? It is, of course, true (as I have pointed out) that some truths are more useful than others. But usefulness is not what makes true theories true, and to think so is to be confused.

Well, you just said a mouthful. I am sure you think what you say is true. However, don't think any of it is true. Is it true because you say it is true, or is it not true because I say so. You have sources and I have sources. So?

I don't even know if you were checkmated. Am I to believe it simply because you say it is so? I don't even know you.

As for your Truths ... well if you are happy with them, I am happy for you. As for me, I am a little more humble in proclaiming truths. Helps keep me out of trouble adn out of conflicts. You can believe anything you want, and I am OK with that.

Rich

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

kennethamy;67508 wrote:
What wars are those? In any case, Einstein deserved whatever cushy job he has, since he seems to have found the truth about many things. And he turned out to be King of the physics hill. And Salk who discovered how to wipe out polio turned out the be a King of the medical hill. So, there have been, as we all know, a number of deservedly Kings of the hill. Is that not true?

Oh, people fight wars all the time because the believe that have the Truth. It is actually quite common throughout history.

Einstein? Well, it met a whole rush of opposition to his Truth, and he in turn disagreed with Bohr's Truth. Bohr, in turn, disagreed with Einstein's Truths.

I think people just like playing Truth or Dare. It seems it never ends, and frankly, from an observer's perspective, it is quite entertaining. Who has the Truth today? Please step forward.

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 01:55 pm
@richrf,
richrf;67605 wrote:
Well, you just said a mouthful. I am sure you think what you say is true. However, don't think any of it is true. Is it true because you say it is true, or is it not true because I say so. You have sources and I have sources. So?

I don't even know if you were checkmated. Am I to believe it simply because you say it is so? I don't even know you.

As for your Truths ... well if you are happy with them, I am happy for you. As for me, I am a little more humble in proclaiming truths. Helps keep me out of trouble adn out of conflicts. You can believe anything you want, and I am OK with that.

Rich

Supp
---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

Oh, people fight wars all the time because the believe that have the Truth. It is actually quite common throughout history.

Einstein? Well, it met a whole rush of opposition to his Truth, and he in turn disagreed with Bohr's Truth. Bohr, in turn, disagreed with Einstein's Truths.

I think people just like playing Truth or Dare. It seems it never ends, and frankly, from an observer's perspective, it is quite entertaining. Who has the Truth today? Please step forward.

Rich

Suppose people do fight wars because each of them believes he knows the truth. What follows from that? That no one knows the truth? Or that believing you know the true is evil? Neither follows. Whether or not I fight a war over whether 2+2 =4, if it is true that 2+2=4, then it is true whatever the consequences. And, what it is that I should believe if not the truth. Is it better to believe what is false? Why? Of course, if you believe something, then you have to believe it is either true or it is false. Or, are you advocating that we don't believe anything at all? How do we do that. Is it up to us what we believe, or whether we believe? I don't think so.

By the way, you did not understand me. I did not ask you to believe I was checkmated. I asked you whether because the game of chess is an invention, whether that means I could not be checkmated if I was. In other words, can't people be checkmated even if chess is an invention?

Exebeche

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 03:12 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;67315 wrote:

Why can't I say that Aristotle was a great philosopher, but not use him as an authority? I did not say that Aristotle's theory of truth was true because it is Aristotle's theory, and Aristotle is a great philosopher, did I? If I had done that, then I would have been using Aristotle as an authority. But, I did not do that.

If computers had already adapted the ability of using language they would probably communicate on this level, but communication between humans does not function this way.
Communication between humans always takes place on several levels.
If i say for example "I saw your husband at the chinese restaurant this morning." this sentence has a level of mere information. However it contains more than only one implied message, right? It could mean "I wonder why he wasn't at the office. I wonder if he was expecting somebody. I wonder if you knew about it."
If i say "There's no water in the fridge" it has a level of information, a level of implied message and a level of intention:
It also says "we won't have cold water for at least an hour", but also "would you please go get some water from the basement", (maybe even "this would have been your job by the way".)
So back to your question wether or not you have been using Aristotle as an authority:
When you tell the king that he is to clever to be charmed by someone's flattering you are at the same time charming him with your flattering.
So when someone sais that "Aristotle is known to be an authority, but i am not using him as an authority", then why would he even mention Aristotle's authority?

kennethamy;67315 wrote:

That theory X is more "sophisticated" (however you are able to tell that, which is another issue) than theory Y, does not seem to me any reason to think that theory X is a better theory, or a more correct theory, than is theory Y. Why should the more "sophisticated" theory be a better theory? You don't say why you think that. Have you a good reason for thinking that?

At this moment i remember only one tool that allows to discriminate without any doubt:
Ockham's Razor.
In this case however i have to admit that it was my own personal opinion, a question of taste that led me to claim ontological ideas less sophisticated than others. Although i have to say that yes: Metaphysics does have a reputation of being antiquated, so i am not the first one to claim this (although i do not use others as an authority Wink
But i am certainly ready to discuss it.
Ontological questions have led to terribly false considerations:
If a stone is a part of a wall, then how much 'wallfullness' has the stone contained before it was built into the wall?
Metaphysics are not so much an explanation of the world but rather an explanation of how our brain works.
Physically touchable things are the first category we understand.
Before babies understand the meaning of verbs and adjectives they learn how to use names for things.
There are some things that our brain does automatically due to its evolution: One thing is e.g. realizing faces.
Children see faces everywhere, in clouds, stones, trees, etc.
Our brain will always realize patterns. Pattern recognition is one of the primary aspects of our intelligence.
A returning pattern like a face or a circle will be recognized and given a tag by our brain. That's another thing our brain does automatically - attaching tags to whatever. Anything that gets perceived needs to get a name, and thus an 'isness', giving it a state of something that 'is'. The 'idea' of a circle is an ideal you won't find in nature.
However the pattern of a circle has its particular place of memory assigned to it in our brain. That's why we -> project its existence to the outside world giving the idea of a circle an ontological existence.
Actually any shape (like any piece of lint's shape) could be considered to have an ontological existence. But the idea of circle has a stronger impressiveness due to its recognition value. That's why we consider a circle something that 'is'. A lint-shape though...
That is why great authorities like Platon assumed that the idea must have existed before the material existence appeared.
I find it interesting that there was a trend amongst christian mysticists referring to Plato, considering anything that exists a result of god's thoughts before the creation.
In other words the concept of a circle must have been thought by god to come to existence in our world.
That is a very precise description of how our brain does it.
First of all the pattern is realised as a reappearing shape, so that it is realized as belonging to the same category and soon it will be given a name (tag), attaching an ontological existence to it. Humans attach tags of ontological existence to anything because their mind is just made for it.
Modern philosophers have realized this epistemical process as partially misleading.
Actually it is obvious that the ontological view is highly incompatible with modern science.
Classical Physics are based on the assumption of a material reality that was there and will be there wether or not there is any kind of mind or intelligence.
Radical constructivists like Heinz von Foerster get along much better with modern scientific paradigms, as they are claiming that what we perceive as the outside world is a huge complex construction of tags that we attach to reality. It helps us to deal with it but it's just a crutch because reality in its whole complexity will always stay inaccessible to us.
Which is actually something that already Kant said about the world of things that we can touch but never completely access mentally.

richrf

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 03:14 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;67752 wrote:
Suppose people do fight wars because each of them believes he knows the truth. What follows from that? That no one knows the truth?

No, just that lots of people think they know the truth. I guess it makes them feel better. I don't know. However, it does cause lots of strife. I wonder if that also makes them feel better. Life is strange, don't you think? All over, who has the truth. Who is King of the Hill?

Quote:
By the way, you did not understand me. I did not ask you to believe I was checkmated. I asked you whether because the game of chess is an invention, whether that means I could not be checkmated if I was. In other words, can't people be checkmated even if chess is an invention?

Sure. Checkmates happen all the time. It is when two people agree (consensus) that the game is over. I imagine it would be kind of tough playing with a person, who refuses to play by the rules, but what do you do if that person refuses?

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 05:43 pm
@richrf,
richrf;67785 wrote:
No, just that lots of people think they know the truth. I guess it makes them feel better. I don't know. However, it does cause lots of strife. I wonder if that also makes them feel better. Life is strange, don't you think? All over, who has the truth. Who is King of the Hill?

Sure. Checkmates happen all the time. It is when two people agree (consensus) that the game is over. I imagine it would be kind of tough playing with a person, who refuses to play by the rules, but what do you do if that person refuses?

Rich

You really think that what defines a checkmate is that the two opponents agree that the game is over. Do you know anything about chess?
A person who refuses to play by the rules is someone who refused to play by the rules, and therefore is not playing the game. What he cannot do is not play by the rules and, also, play the game.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Exebeche;67783 wrote:

So back to your question wether or not you have been using Aristotle as an authority:

So when someone sais that "Aristotle is known to be an authority, but i am not using him as an authority", then why would he even mention Aristotle's authority?

I suggest that you read what I wrote. I did not mention Aristotle as an authority, and I did not say that he is known to be an authority.

deepthot

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 06:25 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;66532 wrote:
According to Aristotle, to say what is true is to say that what is, is; or to say what is not, is not.

That sounds right to me. In fact, right on the money. Doesn't it to you?

As for what it means to say of something that it exists, that is a little more complicated, but not much more so.

To say that X exists is to say that those properties that X is supposed to have, are the properties of something, namely, X. And, to say that X does not exist, is to say that those properties that X is supposed to have are not had by anything.

Hope this helps. It should.

The problem with the explanation of existence by Aristotle, is that when he claims ""What is, is," we don't know what sense of the word "is" he means.

Is the "is" one of class-membership; or of predication; or of a part-whole relation? Or does it mean "falls under"? Is it the "is" of identity or of resemblance?

Someone once said : "God Is!" One can meaningfully say that this is a way of expressing the thought that what he calls "God" is real for him ...it is even his ultimate reality.

Thus with all the senses that the word "is" can have, which one did Aristotle intend? He is not here for us to interview. So we will have to ask Ken, who finds Aristotle's definition of "to exist" so meaningful. When YOU say What is, is -- to which sense of 'is' are you referring?
-- And what are the properties that an idea is supposed to have?

My model gives ideas (such as that of a centaur, or a tooth fairy) a low degree of subsistence but does not rule out that they have properties. It would just claim that the intension of their concepts and the extension are numerically identical. The name of the concept IS (identically) the application of the concept.

My original post, in proposing that truth is on a spectrum of value, is also a proposal in how to employ language in the discipline of Epistemology.
To speak of logical truth-values, T and F, in tables, is the Systemic valuation of truth, and has always struck me as rather barren when confronting issues of truth.
In contrast, there is the super-charged proposition about a "real-thing" love affair that a couple is said to have, or that a girl feels about a boy. To her that is Truth also. It rings true for her. The Correspondence Theory (which I find fits the extrinsic world) is fine as far as it goes, but it does not do justice to the truth this girl experiences! She is Intrinsically-valuing that proposition.

"Let us pursue Truth, though the heavens may fall !!"

kennethamy

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 07:01 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;67831 wrote:
The problem with the explanation of existence by Aristotle, is that when he claims ""What is, is," we don't know what sense of the word "is" he means.

Is the "is" one of class-membership; or of predication; or of a part-whole relation? Or does it mean "falls under"? Is it the "is" of identity or of resemblance?

Someone once said : "God Is!" One can meaningfully say that this is a way of expressing the thought that what he calls "God" is real for him ...it is even his ultimate reality.

Thus with all the senses that the word "is" can have, which one did Aristotle intend? He is not here for us to interview. So we will have to ask Ken, who finds Aristotle's definition of "to exist" so meaningful. When YOU say What is, is -- to which sense of 'is' are you referring?
-- And what are the properties that an idea is supposed to have?

My model gives ideas (such as that of a centaur, or a tooth fairy) a low degree of subsistence but does not rule out that they have properties. It would just claim that the intension of their concepts and the extension are numerically identical. The name of the concept IS (identically) the application of the concept.

My original post, in proposing that truth is on a spectrum of value, is also a proposal in how to employ language in the discipline of Epistemology.
To speak of logical truth-values, T and F, in tables, is the Systemic valuation of truth, and has always struck me as rather barren when confronting issues of truth.
In contrast, there is the super-charged proposition about a "real-thing" love affair that a couple is said to have, or that a girl feels about a boy. To her that is Truth also. It rings true for her. The Correspondence Theory (which I find fits the extrinsic world) is fine as far as it goes, but it does not do justice to the truth this girl experiences! She is Intrinsically-valuing that proposition.

"Let us pursue Truth, though the heavens may fall !!"

I did not say that Aristotle said (in his definition of "truth") that what is, is. I said that Aristotle said: To say that what is, is, is to say what is true; and to say that what is, is not, is to say what is false. Actually, I don't know of any place where Aristotle says that what is, is. One of Aristotle's three laws of thought was, that (depending on how you formulate it) everything is self-identical, or X is X, but that is not the same as, "what is, is".

richrf

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 08:55 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;67822 wrote:
You really think that what defines a checkmate is that the two opponents agree that the game is over. Do you know anything about chess?

I play chess all the time, and people break rules all the time - with any game. My friends use to cheat on me with Monopoly.

Games are all composed around rules. Rules can be broken. Game players may agree on different rules. There are actually many types of chess. Some, where a person wins when he is checkmated. You see, there has to be some consensus, and then you can play the game. But even then, there is nothing to keep someone from ruining the game by breaking the rules. Poker players are notorious for this.

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 09:21 am
@richrf,
richrf;67865 wrote:
I play chess all the time, and people break rules all the time - with any game. My friends use to cheat on me with Monopoly.

Games are all composed around rules. Rules can be broken. Game players may agree on different rules. There are actually many types of chess. Some, where a person wins when he is checkmated. You see, there has to be some consensus, and then you can play the game. But even then, there is nothing to keep someone from ruining the game by breaking the rules. Poker players are notorious for this.

Rich

If your friends intentionally break the rules they are not serious about playing chess. They are only pretending to play the game. Of course there are kinds of chess, but what has that to do with it. I am talking about the standard game of chess. The game in which a person wins when he is checkmated is a different game. What has that to do with the game I thought we were talking about? Nothing that I can see. And sure, a player may knock over the pieces, and throw over the board. So what? That is just not a move in the game. So he is not playing the game. What is your point. Confusion?

richrf

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 10:23 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;68010 wrote:
That is just not a move in the game. So he is not playing the game. What is your point. Confusion?

My point is that obvious Truths may not be such. Keep searching, and new ideas are always uncovered. People who play chess and break the rules, are playing a different game than the one you think (or think you know) they are playing. Smile

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 10:46 am
@richrf,
richrf;68025 wrote:
My point is that obvious Truths may not be such. Keep searching, and new ideas are always uncovered. People who play chess and break the rules, are playing a different game than the one you think (or think you know) they are playing. Smile

Rich

Obvious truths may be such, and, on the other hand, they may very well be such. So the fact that they may not be such is no reason for thinking that they may not very well be such. And, whether they are such or not can be decided by reason and by evidence.
If a person is not playing chess, and I think he is. I have made a mistake. But if a person thinks he is playing chess, and he does not play by the rules, then, if I think he is not playing chess, then I am right. He isn't. You seem to think that the possibility of something being false is a reason for thinking it is false. It isn't. Just as the possibility of something's being true is not a reason for thinking it is true.

richrf

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 10:52 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;68031 wrote:
You seem to think that the possibility of something being false is a reason for thinking it is false. It isn't. Just as the possibility of something's being true is not a reason for thinking it is true.

I think that the possibility of something being false, makes it possibly false or true.

I think the possibility of something being true, makes it possibly false or true.

I think knowing something is True, makes it possible that I am about to make a very big mistake. Smile

Nothing that I have ever known to be True ever turned out that way. Call me humbled by experiences in life.

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 11:33 am
@richrf,
richrf;68032 wrote:
I think that the possibility of something being false, makes it possibly false or true.

I think the possibility of something being true, makes it possibly false or true.

I think knowing something is True, makes it possible that I am about to make a very big mistake. Smile

Nothing that I have ever known to be True ever turned out that way. Call me humbled by experiences in life.

Rich

Certainly thinking you know something to be true implies it is possible that you are mistaken. But knowing something to be true precludes your being mistaken, although it does not preclude the possibility of being mistaken. If you know, then you are not mistaken, although, of course, you can be mistaken.

If nothing you thought you knew was true was ever true, then, of course, although you thought you knew it was true, you were mistaken, for you did not know it was true. How could you have known it was true, when it was not true?

But I think you exaggerate. It is difficult for me to believe you did not know that you had been born, and it turned out that you were born And it is hard for me to believe that you did not know you had parents, and it turned out that you did have parents.

richrf

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 04:22 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;68044 wrote:
Certainly thinking you know something to be true implies it is possible that you are mistaken. But knowing something to be true precludes your being mistaken, although it does not preclude the possibility of being mistaken. If you know, then you are not mistaken, although, of course, you can be mistaken.

If nothing you thought you knew was true was ever true, then, of course, although you thought you knew it was true, you were mistaken, for you did not know it was true. How could you have known it was true, when it was not true?

But I think you exaggerate. It is difficult for me to believe you did not know that you had been born, and it turned out that you were born And it is hard for me to believe that you did not know you had parents, and it turned out that you did have parents.

I think knowing something is always open to a another person who also knows. You know something is true. And I disagree, but I know that I what I say is true. So we have two people who know something to be true. You know what happens - they fight - the conflict or war that Heraclitus talks about. Smile But that is OK, that is how human consciousness evolves.

Now, I don't remember I when I was born, but my parents tell me so. I trust them, and I trust the birth certificate, etc. But this is because of my relationship with my parents. They could have lied. Lots of people who are adopted, are not told of this. Individual human consciousness seeks consensus, so that it can have some peace with others, but it also seeks to evolve, so it disagrees. Both are OK, because it is the natural part of evolution. The only thing is that many times, lots of people die because two groups know the Truth and decide to go to blows for it. And I guess that is part of human evolution also.

Rich

Exebeche

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 04:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;68044 wrote:

Errrrm..
..Sorry - WHO exaggerates?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 05:26 pm
@Exebeche,
Exebeche;68119 wrote:
Errrrm..
..Sorry - WHO exaggerates?

You do if you claim that you can know nothing, since you know that you were born, and that you had parents.

How did you come to exist unless you were born? And how could you have been born unless you have parents? Your having been adopted does not mean you did not have parents. I did not say that you know who your parents are, although I suppose you do.

richrf

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 09:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;68130 wrote:
You do if you claim that you can know nothing, since you know that you were born, and that you had parents.

How did you come to exist unless you were born? And how could you have been born unless you have parents? Your having been adopted does not mean you did not have parents. I did not say that you know who your parents are, although I suppose you do.

Catholics believe in Immaculate Conception, as Truth. Do you?

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 06:37 am
@richrf,
richrf;68192 wrote:
Catholics believe in Immaculate Conception, as Truth. Do you?

Rich

If you mean do I believe in Immaculate Conception (I bet you mean Virgin Birth, people often confuse the two) the answer is no. Some people believe that the capital of Ecuador is La Paz. I don't. So what? What is the significance of people disagreeing about what is true?

richrf

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 08:10 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;68239 wrote:
. So what? What is the significance of people disagreeing about what is true?

Hi,

It is fine with me. You have your Truths, and Catholic people have their Truths, and I have no Truths. It all works for me.

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 08:49 am
@richrf,
richrf;68254 wrote:
Hi,

It is fine with me. You have your Truths, and Catholic people have their Truths, and I have no Truths. It all works for me.

Rich

Sure. Catholics believe some things are true. I don't. But then, of course, there is the question of whether a belief is justified or not. One can believe without justification, of course. That kind of belief is usually called faith. But, somehow, I don't believe that you don't believe that a great many propositions are true. For instance, that you are posting; that Quito is the capital of Ecuador (or, at least, by now you should believe that). And a host of other things (that this year is 2009, for instance). So I think you are just saying the sort of thing philosophers often say, but don't really mean. Philosophers are well-known for that kind of thing.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:04:00