What is Truth and what does it mean to Exist?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 11:28 am
@richrf,
richrf;69148 wrote:
My experiences are quite the the contrary. The judge is making all kinds of ad hoc judgments (jury selections are wild and hilarious), the attorneys are all over the place, and somehow, among this all, a conclusion is reached. It is an amazing thing to watch. My girlfriend, had no idea what justice was all about until she got wrapped up in a lawsuit. Wow! What a learning experience.

Did you observe the O.J. Simpson trials? Both of them. Smile THAT is life.

Rich

Not at all. THAT was an exception. What happens daily in the court rooms around the United States is as I described it. Two cases are really not what is called, a fair sample, and the fallacy of generalizing from an unfair sample is called, "the fallacy of hasty generalization". It is one of the inductive fallacies you can find in discussed in any elementary logic text, or indeed, on the Internet if you bother to Google it.

Exebeche

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 02:35 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;69113 wrote:
In fact, on the contrary, since in order to disagree about the truth, we have to assume there is a truth about which to disagree.

I love your logical deductions.
This would mean: In order to disagree about karma, we have to assume there is a karma about which to disagree.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 02:50 pm
@Exebeche,
Exebeche;69210 wrote:
This would mean: In order to disagree about karma, we have to assume there is a karma about which to disagree.

If disagreeing about Karma supposes there is Karma, then, of course. But it depend on what we are disagreeing about Karma. Or about truth. Of course, if we are disagreeing about whether there is truth (or Karma) then obviously we cannot suppose that there is truth of Karma.

Zetherin

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 04:04 pm
@deepthot,
Exebeche wrote:

If you wanted to disagree with me that a tree grew apples, we would assume there is a tree with which to disagree upon.

If you wanted to disagree with me that the tree existed whatsoever, no assumption must be made.

In the case of Karma, one can disagree on it's existence without assuming it's existence, obviously. Of course, we are assuming the notion of Karma exists - but that should be self-evident. It's important we're on the same page definitionally, though, when speaking of metaphysical notions, as explanations can become convoluted fairly easily.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 04:08 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;69231 wrote:
If you wanted to disagree with me that a tree grew apples, we would assume there is a tree with which to disagree upon.

If you wanted to disagree with me that the tree existed whatsoever, no assumption must be made.

In the case of Karma, one can disagree on it's existence without assuming it's existence, obviously. Of course, we are assuming the notion of Karma exists - but that should be self-evident. It's important we're on the same page definitionally, though, when speaking of metaphysical notions. Explanations can become convoluted fairly easily.

Certainly, I agree.

Exebeche

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 04:43 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;69231 wrote:

In the case of Karma, one can disagree on it's existence without assuming it's existence, obviously. Of course, we are assuming the notion of Karma exists - but that should be self-evident. It's important we're on the same page definitionally, though, when speaking of metaphysical notions, as explanations can become convoluted fairly easily.

Thank You for this analysis.
However it was not necessary.
When i said:
"This would mean: In order to disagree about karma, we have to assume there is a karma to disagree upon."
this was no statement that i would make.
On the contrary it was meant as an example of how unlogical this deduction is.
So there was no need to confute this sentence, because it was obviously meant to be understood as unlogical to begin with.
And thank you kennethamy to agree with Zetherin's explanation of how this deduction doesn't make sense.

richrf

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 05:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;69151 wrote:
Not at all. THAT was an exception. What happens daily in the court rooms around the United States is as I described it. Two cases are really not what is called, a fair sample, and the fallacy of generalizing from an unfair sample is called, "the fallacy of hasty generalization". It is one of the inductive fallacies you can find in discussed in any elementary logic text, or indeed, on the Internet if you bother to Google it.

Hi,

I'm speaking from lots of experience. Life in the courtroom is not Perry Mason. It is really quite a Wild West Show, and all kinds a strange things happen. Crazy, crazy, crazy. I know people prefer to think of it as systematic justice, but it is more the luck of the draw (I like this pun Smile).

Rich

Zetherin

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 05:45 pm
@Exebeche,
Exebeche;69241 wrote:
Thank You for this analysis.
However it was not necessary.
When i said:
"This would mean: In order to disagree about karma, we have to assume there is a karma to disagree upon."
this was no statement that i would make.
On the contrary it was meant as an example of how unlogical this deduction is.
So there was no need to confute this sentence, because it was obviously meant to be understood as unlogical to begin with.
And thank you kennethamy to agree with Zetherin's explanation of how this deduction doesn't make sense.

I believe kennethamy was referring to a truth about karma. That is, he meant: "In order to disagree about a truth concerning karma, we must assume karma exists." He later clarifies by saying, "But it depends on what we are disagreeing about Karma.", of course implying what I just said.

I'm sorry if it appears I was calling you out; I wasn't. I just wanted to clarify.

deepthot

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 06:50 pm
@deepthot,
Descartes should have said: "I experience life, which I couldn't do if I were not reallly real. Therefore, I am really real!

Since he didn't say it, I will say it.

You see, it is better to be real than merely to exist.

I said it - and I'm glad!

Now does anyone have any quarrel - or better yet, any improvements to suggest - with the axiometric analysis of the original post? If no serious objections, why not adopt it from here on, and use language that way.

By "to consist" I mean that an idea is put forth and it is a constituent of a cluster of thoughts in a mind - and I will grant that thoughts are silent verbalizations; or vice versa - talkking is voluble thinking - so being constituents, the ideas consist. When someone makes an assertion or a claim it is as if s/he were stipulating an assumption for an argument, or a step in a proof, or positing a new symbol, or expressing some metaphor. Ideas are the constituents... so to say they only consist in a mind is not a stretch.
A "concept" though I defined in my College Course book, as having a designator, a meaning, and an application: a label, an intension, and an extension. The members of the extension - the class of application - usually exist - unless the concept is of a fiction, a number, or some other mathematical or logical entity.

All this is quite reasonable and ought to find wide acceptance.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Augustine Intrinsically valued numbers, and would claim that they have a reality which we might discover. They are like platonic Ideals - out there somewhere for us to stumble across. Many an inventor and creator, or mathematical genius, feels he discovered a Truth that was there in perhaps The Akasia Recordss waiting to be found.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 07:58 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;69275 wrote:
Descartes should have said: "I experience life, which I couldn't do if I were not reallly real. Therefore, I am really real!

Since he didn't say it, I will say it.

You see, it is better to be real than merely to exist.

I said it - and I'm glad!

It certainly sounds it. Especially if you can both exist and be real. After all, two for the price of one is not bad. But, I am wondering whether something can be real and not exist? Or, for that matter, exist and not be real. I guess I am not all that sure what either term means. I don't think I have ever met anyone who is the one and not the other. But I have not met all that many people.

Zetherin

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 08:36 pm
@deepthot,
Are we using "real" here within a social context meaning "sincere, genuine"?

If so, of course you can meet people that exist but aren't "real".

Otherwise, I don't know how else one would use "real" in application to humans. "He's really real" means nothing to me.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 08:43 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;69294 wrote:
Are we using "real" here within a social context meaning "sincere, genuine"?

If so, of course you can meet people that exist but aren't "real".

Otherwise, I don't know how else one would use "real" in application to humans. "He's really real" means nothing to me.

Well, I am not sure, but I always thought that to say of X that it is real, is to deny that it is imaginary. (Of course, that is not to deny the use you point out).

Zetherin

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 08:47 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;69295 wrote:
Well, I am not sure, but I always thought that to say of X that it is real, is to deny that it is imaginary. (Of course, that is not to deny the use you point out).

Assuming you've already deduced the person is not an imagined delusion, I don't know how else you'd apply "real".

If we are to assume that every human is potentially a delusion until proven otherwise, then we can go around labeling the people "real" that we've come to the conclusion actually exist.

Unless you're a schizophrenic, I'd consider this a waste of time.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 09:02 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;69299 wrote:
Assuming you've already deduced the person is not an imagined delusion, I don't know how else you'd apply "real".

If we are to assume that every human is potentially a delusion until proven otherwise, then we can go around labeling the people "real" that we've come to the conclusion actually exist.

Unless you're a schizophrenic, I'd consider this a waste of time.

I was not, I think supposing I had deduced anything. I was pointing out only that when, for example, we point to an oasis in the desert, and say, "that is real" we are just denying that it is a mirage (an illusion). Or, we say of people who are drunk and believe they see pink elephants, that the pink elephants are not real, meaning that they are imaginary. I certainly was not saying that "every person we think we see is potentially a delusion". Why would I say such a bizarre thing? No, I was saying that we say that delusions are not real because they are imaginary. Isn't that true?

Zetherin

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 09:10 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;69303 wrote:
I was not, I think supposing I had deduced anything. I was pointing out only that when, for example, we point to an oasis in the desert, and say, "that is real" we are just denying that it is a mirage (an illusion). Or, we say of people who are drunk and believe they see pink elephants, that the pink elephants are not real, meaning that they are imaginary. I certainly was not saying that "every person we think we see is potentially a delusion". Why would I say such a bizarre thing? No, I was saying that we say that delusions are not real because they are imaginary. Isn't that true?

I never said you said anything. I quoted you as if we were conversing, not as a rebuttal. It was simply a "Hey, let me share some thoughts also" kind of interaction.

And of course I agree with you. My saying about labeling every person you meet "real" was jocular in fashion. It's a ridiculous idea, yet that's the only way I can imagine applying "real" to humans (besides the social implication I noted earlier). It's not necessary to label humans "real" or "imaginary" unless you have a psychological disorder. Clearly one without a psychological disorder understands what it means to be "real" and "imaginary".

Or so I'd think.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 09:17 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;69306 wrote:
I never said you said anything. I quoted you as if we were conversing, not as a rebuttal. It was simply a "Hey, let me share some thoughts also" kind of interaction.

And of course I agree with you. My saying about labeling every person you meet "real" was jocular in fashion. It's a ridiculous idea, yet that's the only way I can imagine applying "real" to humans (besides the social implication I noted earlier).

Well, as I said, if, for instance a child was telling me about her friends the Easter Bunny and his children, I might remind the child that that Easter Bunny is not real. Which is to say, I would be telling her that the Easter Bunny is imaginary. To say that someone, or something is real, is just, I think, to deny that it is imaginary (or an hallucination). As someone pointed out, it is the term, "not real" that is (contrary to appearances) that is the "positive" term, and not the term, "real". The term "real" just denies that what is said to be real is imaginary.

Zetherin

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 09:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;69308 wrote:
Well, as I said, if, for instance a child was telling me about her friends the Easter Bunny and his children, I might remind the child that that Easter Bunny is not real. Which is to say, I would be telling her that the Easter Bunny is imaginary. To say that someone, or something is real, is just, I think, to deny that it is imaginary (or an hallucination). As someone pointed out, it is the term, "not real" that is (contrary to appearances) that is the "positive" term, and not the term, "real". The term "real" just denies that what is said to be real is imaginary.

I don't think you're understanding me. I'm aware of how we generally use the word "real". "Real", using the notion you described, is a synonym for "not existing". "The Easter Bunny is not real" would be the equivalent to "The Easter Bunny doesn't exist".

However, deepthot was not using the word as such, as indicated by his quote, "You see, it is better to be real than merely to exist." He acknowledges a distinction between being real and existing.

All I'm trying to say is that I can't find any distinction; I can't find any other way we would use "real" in application to humans (or anything!) besides what you've already noted!

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 10:06 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;69317 wrote:
I don't think you're understanding me. I'm aware of how we generally use the word "real". "Real", using the notion you described, is a synonym for "not existing". "The Easter Bunny is not real" would be the equivalent to "The Easter Bunny doesn't exist".

However, deepthot was not using the word as such, as indicated by his quote, "You see, it is better to be real than merely to exist." He acknowledges a distinction between being real and existing.

All I'm trying to say is that I can't find any distinction; I can't find any other way we would use "real" in application to humans (or anything!) besides what you've already noted!

But that is how we use the term "real" when applied to anything, X, when we say of it that is real. We are simply denying that it is imaginary. But of course, hallucinations like mirages do exist, although they are not real. And dreams exist, although they are not real, either. So "real" and, "exist" are not synonymous terms.

And we should notice that to say that something is a real X, as contrasted with saying that X is real, brings in a new dimension. For a real diamond, is not a fake diamond. or a zircon. But fake diamonds, or zircons, do exist. In fact, there are real fake diamond, and of course, all fake diamonds are real. They are not imaginary. The term "real" is quite complicated. Not to mention cognate terms like "genuine" or "authentic",

Zetherin

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 10:10 pm
@deepthot,
Point taken: One would say a mirage or dream "existed".

But that still doesn't answer my question, and that is, how is deepthot using "real" within his sentence?

I know that a human can be imaginary, meaning the human is not real, but what is a "real human", akin to your "real diamond" example? In contrast, what is a "fake human"?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 10:16 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;69335 wrote:
Point taken: One would say a mirage or dream "existed".

But that still doesn't answer my question, and that is, how is deepthot using "real" within his sentence?

How can a human exist but not be real (besides the social term for being sincere or genuine I noted earlier)? I know that a human can be imaginary, meaning the human is not real, but what is a "real human", akin to your "real diamond" example? In contrast, what is a "fake human"?

A well-designed robot? But, of course, the robot is real.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:51:16