Do humans actually have free will?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

paulhanke

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 07:24 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
The second and the third demonstrate the inherent problem. To define time is tautology. You speak of location and of distance, respectively; location in what; distance of what; time!

... does this debate on time boil down to materialism vs. idealism? ... i.e., in a materialistic view time is a dimension (as is space) in which events occur, whereas in an idealistic view time is merely an intellectual construction (as is space)? ...

BrightNoon

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 01:29 pm
@paulhanke,
Not neccessarily Paulhanke:

The point is just that time is among that group of ideas which cannot be defined in simpler terms due to their extreme simplicity. Location, idea, thing are other examples.

nameless

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 02:54 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;29617 wrote:
The first definition is funny, but too informal to matter.

Beg your pardon!? Informal doesnt matter? Is truth 'formal'? If 'truth' does not fit into your 'box of formal' do you simply ignore it? Refuse to recognise it?
Frankly, it is the first 'definition' that I find the most meaningful. Has the most depth and relevence to current scientific thought.

Quote:
The second and the third demonstrate the inherent problem. To define time is tautology. You speak of location and of distance, respectively; location in what; distance of what; time!

'Location' relative to other moments, in Consciousness/Mind.
12:00m and 12:01a are 'addresses/locations' of two uniquely different moments (universes) in a large pile of synchronous moments.

The 'distance' quote I found both humorous and relevent, but not to 'this' Perspective. There are other Perspectives who find it meaningful. I cannot support it from 'this' current understanding.
The notion/feeling of 'time' is merely a local relic of Perspective, it is not inherent to existence/reality, but to some of our views of it.

Fairbanks

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 03:58 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
. . . 'Location' relative to other moments, in Consciousness/Mind.
. . .

Smile
Y'know, this is a symptom of our language. Finding time words that are not spatial is next to impossible. We have 'earlier' and 'later' and 'now' but have to use 'location' and 'distance' in any extended discussion. It is probably due to the Indo-European roots of many of the most popular languages and their original reference to aspects of the physical body and its relative motions and functions. Just a guess.

nameless

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 05:40 pm
@Fairbanks,
Fairbanks;29705 wrote:
Smile
Y'know, this is a symptom of our language. Finding time words that are not spatial is next to impossible. We have 'earlier' and 'later' and 'now' but have to use 'location' and 'distance' in any extended discussion.

Oh good lord tell me about it! When the very words that one must use are the same lies that one is trying to describe using the lies... Using an illusion to speak of the illusive quality of illusion... To attempt use lies to speak of/point to truth!!!
"Those who know, don't speak (can't!); those who speak, don't know!" -Lao Tsu
"In Silentium, Verum!" ("In Silence, Truth!") -Book of Fudd (1:1)
We speak a medieval language which 'is' the medieval way that we see 'the world'. Soon, though, to change.

Quote:
It is probably due to the Indo-European roots of many of the most popular languages and their original reference to aspects of the physical body and its relative motions and functions. Just a guess.

Medieval and worse! And those are the eyes that most are forced/taught to squint through! Language must evolve in accord to our cutting edge understandings of existence. As language evolves, so does the world that language DEFINES. Existence is Context is DEFINITION.... language...

Are you familiar with E-Prime language (English Prime)? Talk about evolutionary! It deletes ego from language, absolutely no form of 'to be'... Check it out. All of a sudden, when viewed from that language/Perspective, much becomes clearer, more beautifully understandable. A true quantum leap in 'world-view'.
And it all has to 'begin' somewhere/somewhen...
Here! Now!!

Peace
*__-

BrightNoon

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 06:03 pm
@nameless,
We speak a medieval language which 'is' the medieval way that we see 'the world'. Soon, though, to change.

Quite right nameless. How will it change though? The essential problem with language, the falsehood that it imposes, is related to subject/object division in my opinion; that is also the essential component; without that, I don't think a language would be very functional. Language is definition, which is division, which is false in a world that is a unity. Regardless of the specific way in which the world is divided by language (medieval, classical, prehistoric, etc.), the fact of division is the problem.

Beg your pardon!? Informal doesnt matter? Is truth 'formal'? If 'truth' does not fit into your 'box of formal' do you simply ignore it? Refuse to recognise it? Frankly, it is the first 'definition' that I find the most meaningful. Has the most depth and relevence to current scientific thought.

I'm not some strict scholastic; i just meant that that definition, while expressive, did not really address the issue. There is no reason to assume that time is "that which is necessary to keep everything from happending at once." Everyone, by definition, cannot happen at once; that has no meaning. On another note, the definition above is like...height: that which prevents us from seeing the tops of trees. It is kind of silly and expressive, as I said, but not really meaningful.

To refer to time as a series of moments may be true, but that definition already implies the passage of time. A series of events cannot be understood exept as they occur, which occurance is called the passage of time. It is tautology. That is fine, by the way.

paulhanke

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 06:52 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
Are you familiar with E-Prime language (English Prime)?

... now that's just plain cool :a-ok: ... the only truth allowed in that language is phenomenological truth ... nothing "is" - at most, a thing "appears as" or "seems" ... can't get much more philosophy-of-science than that ... now for the $64,000 Question: can you express "time" and other elementals in E-Prime? Wink

nameless

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 10:12 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;29732 wrote:
... now that's just plain cool :a-ok: ... the only truth allowed in that language is phenomenological truth ... nothing "is" - at most, a thing "appears as" or "seems" ... can't get much more philosophy-of-science than that ... now for the $64,000 Question: can you express "time" and other elementals in E-Prime? Wink

Sorry, gotta go. Time for dinner! *__-

nameless

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 10:42 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;29722 wrote:
nameless wrote:

Quite right nameless. How will it change though?

You asking me? Hahahah.. Well, I do get glimpses.. I'll let you know if I get anything. I think that E-Prime will be part of it. A scientifically cleaner language. I am introducing some new concept words according to current thought. We are Perspectives. Sometimes we are egoPersoectives. There is no 'you', but ego, to 'have' a perspective, we are Perspective. So rather than refer to 'your' Perspective, I think a superior form of word might be youPerspective. You see things from youPerspective. There is no ghost in the machine.

Quote:
The essential problem with language, the falsehood that it imposes, is related to subject/object division in my opinion; that is also the essential component; without that, I don't think a language would be very functional.

'Subject/object'; like 'My' pants, or are you relating to 'duality' in general?

Quote:
Language is definition, which is division, which is false in a world that is a unity.

So, beyond a certain point in our understanding the basic nature of existence, reality, language is useless. But at other levels of perception, such as the mundane world, it is time for language to evolve a bit. Local stuff.

Quote:
Regardless of the specific way in which the world is divided by language (medieval, classical, prehistoric, etc.), the fact of division is the problem.

There is no existence without duality.
Existence is Context/Definition/Duality.
Language 'exists' to bring existence into existence... (from a linear perspective). Perspective 'is' language...

Quote:
I'm not some strict scholastic; i just meant that that definition, while expressive, did not really address the issue.

No, but it was a great big pointing finger to some very interesting cognitive territory. It wasn't an 'answer' nor meant to address any issues. It was Zen.

Quote:
There is no reason to assume that time is "that which is necessary to keep everything from happending at once." Everyone, by definition, cannot happen at once; that has no meaning.

Yet everything does happen at once. All moments of existence are synchronous. Some heavy science discovering this as we speak. As 'Consciousness' is the Ground of all Being (Copenhagen interpretation) it is within Consciousness that the momentary flash of all possible Perspective/existence occurs. All moments of existence, ever, synchronously Here/Now! It is a matter of 'memory'/Perspective that the moments appear linear. Only the 'linear' appears to have any 'meaning' to a Perspective that sees things as linear.

Quote:
To refer to time as a series of moments may be true, but that definition already implies the passage of time.

Only when viewed through memory and certain Perspectives. It is HOW we see this local bit of existence.

Quote:
A series of events cannot be understood exept as they occur, which occurance is called the passage of time.

Only from a linear Perspective do moments appear so. There are other perspectives. Science does not care for the linear notion now that they are comming out from the dark ages. Check the links that I provided to get a taste of what I'm saying about time not being inherent existence, but in Perspective..

Quote:
It is tautology. That is fine, by the way.

Not to me. I value 'Truth/Reality' not some self contained artificial rule bound dark comfortable simulation of a truth, but Real Truth! I find tautologies as useless as Rubics cubes. Mental masturbation and egoic comfort.
No strong opinions at the moment! *__-
Peace

Fairbanks

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 11:39 am
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
Sorry, gotta go. Time for dinner! *__-

Smile
Good one. We know dinner is time itself and suffers from ultimately and etymologically being the same word.

Fairbanks

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 12:58 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
. . .
Are you familiar with E-Prime language (English Prime)? . . .

Smile
Yes. It resembles bad Latin we created in high school. In the search for being we come across the idea that the originating metaphor excludes itself from metaphor, but when we see that mind itself AS originating metaphor, metaphoricity, must exclude itself from being we have a solution to the enigma.

nameless

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 01:14 pm
@Fairbanks,
Fairbanks;29857 wrote:
Smile
Yes. It resembles bad Latin we created in high school. In the search for being we come across the idea that the originating metaphor excludes itself from metaphor, but when we see that mind itself AS originating metaphor, metaphoricity, must exclude itself from being we have a solution to the enigma.

"Search for being"?? "Originating metaphor"?? Sorry... my BS detector is flashing...
What I did hear, is that you either did not really read completely (or perhaps understand) about E-Prime.
There is no argument against it, or the value and clarity that it would provide.

Fairbanks

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 01:32 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
"Search for being"?? "Originating metaphor"?? Sorry... my BS detector is flashing...

Smile
The IS detector has detected the IS. Derrida identified the originating metaphor, which falls under literary criticism, AS not a metaphor but metaphoricity itself. Another, possibly another literary critic, postulated mind AS this metaphoricity. Heidegger spent his entire professional life searching for the being of being in Dasein, which philosophy claims AS its domain.

nameless

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 01:34 pm
@Fairbanks,
Fairbanks;29864 wrote:
Smile
The IS detector has detected the IS. Derrida identified the originating metaphor, which falls under literary criticism, AS not a metaphor but metaphoricity itself. Another, possibly another literary critic, postulated mind AS this metaphoricity. Heidegger spent his entire professional life searching for the being of being in Dasein, which philosophy claims AS its domain.

I'm sorry, but I threw my jargon dictionary into the 'circular file'.
I cannot offer any intelligent response to this. I am not a historian regarding other's thoughts, personal jargons, etc. We'd have to either clearly define the jargonistic terminology (I'd really rather avoid such if avoidable), or dump it in favor of common terminology (more fruitful for me and lurkers).
Is my ignorance of Derrida and Heidegger glaring? It is to me, but I am real good with my own thoughts and understandings, which i try to keep as jargon free as possible. I might invent a new word (such a youPerspective rather than 'your' P...), but it is well defined and described and only if absolutely necessary.
So, if it's really important (I hope not) we can get into a deadman's personal jargon... but I'd probably have disagreed with his premises long before having to deal with his jargon! *__-
Peace

Fairbanks

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 01:55 pm
@nameless,
Smile
nameless wrote:
. . . a deadman's personal jargon... but I'd probably have disagreed with his premises long before having to deal with his jargon! *__-
Peace

A sound policy. Philosophy ended with Hegel anyway.

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 02:39 pm
@Fairbanks,
Fairbanks;29864 wrote:
Heidegger spent his entire professional life searching for the being of being in Dasein, which philosophy claims AS its domain.

That seems kind of sad . . . dying, and thinking to yourself, Damnit! I was unable to find the being of being in Dasein! If only I had more time I could have . . . aaauuughhhhhhh.

The Mad Physicst

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:44 pm
@PeterDamian,
Free will is in the heart. For example, If you sin in your heart, you have already commited the sin. The sin in the heart was of your own free will. Even if you environment kept you from doing the action.

Allen phil

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 01:40 pm
@The Mad Physicst,
Hello, I'm new here, but I've been intrested in this question over the years.

So, my question to the philosophers; Does having free will actually imply free action or does it simply mean the freedom to desire an action.

Ex: I have the free will to fly, but not the ability. Do restrictions in the physical world actually limit my will?

Or simply: What is will?

Thanks for reading.

Fido

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 03:29 pm
@PeterDamian,
Don't ask me... I am trying to prove I got a will by going out in the cold; and after that I'll try to figure out if I can put a price on it...

kennethamy

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 12:08 pm
@Allen phil,
Allen wrote:
Hello, I'm new here, but I've been intrested in this question over the years.

So, my question to the philosophers; Does having free will actually imply free action or does it simply mean the freedom to desire an action.

Ex: I have the free will to fly, but not the ability. Do restrictions in the physical world actually limit my will?

Or simply: What is will?

Thanks for reading.

Isn't "will" short-hand for wanting, or desiring, or pleasing to do something? And don't people do things of their own free will when they are not forced or compelled to do them, but they can do what they want to do, or are not forced to do what they do not want to do. For instance, if someone asks, "Did Harry marry Doris of his own free will?" isn't he asking whether Harry had to marry Doris, or whether he married Doris because he want to marry her? At least that is how I have always understood the expression. Didn't you?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 07:02:38