Do humans actually have free will?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

boagie

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 09:45 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... but this seems to me to be some kind of assertion that humankind is not of the physical world - that we are somehow different and less ontologically privileged ...

... if I choose a course of action because I have foreseen an undesirable choice that I do not want to make, and I successfully avoid having to make that choice, haven't I exerted by ability not to choose? ...

paulhanke,Smile

Well, you could consider yourself one with the world, even a whole has its parts, you could be said to be part of this complex condition, part to part, part to the whole and the whole to each of it parts, so there is quite a complex condition here, but, as with the body, if a part ceases to function properly it causes disfunction throughout the organism. The influence of the indivdual parts considered by themselves do not have the influence of the whole upon the parts, thus the sense of being lead by the whole.

As to your sense of freewill, yes it is dependent upon the choices that you are able to make, my point was that you are not free to make no choice, for even if you do not react to a preceived object or circumstance that too is a reaction to your environment/context. So, in a sense you are contained within the context of your environment and your nature is to react to the whole, just standing in one position you react to your environment taking in what you need expelling what you cannot use as waste. Granted the whole does in some degree react to its parts but to incremental to measure. There is the exception of what we have today, the impact man has been able to effect upon the whole has been disastrous, he has in effective made the whole the second bannana so to speak, and it will not work. We are reactionary animals after all, and our reaction to sudden drastic change will be to perish.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:45 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
my point was that you are not free to make no choice, for even if you do not react to a preceived object or circumstance that too is a reaction to your environment/context.

The other day, when I walked into the ice-cream shop, they did not have my favorite flavor, strawberry ripple. So I made no choice of ice-cream. I may have made other choices (or not) of course. But not of ice-cream.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
The other day, when I walked into the ice-cream shop, they did not have my favorite flavor, strawberry ripple. So I made no choice of ice-cream. I may have made other choices (or not) of course. But not of ice-cream.

You made a choice to not get ice-cream based on circumstance (them not having your favorite flavor). You reacted to the unfortunate (for you!) situation.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 11:17 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
You made a choice to not get ice-cream based on circumstance (them not having your favorite flavor). You reacted to the unfortunate (for you!) situation.

But I made no choice of ice-cream. As I said, I may have made other choices (or not).
And, then again, I may just, as it is said, "entertain" which flavor to choose and make no choice at all. I am not forced to choose any particular flavor, nor am I forced to choose at all, unless I want to.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 11:24 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
But I made no choice of ice-cream. As I said, I may have made other choices (or not).
And, then again, I may just, as it is said, "entertain" which flavor to choose and make no choice at all. I am not forced to choose any particular flavor, nor am I forced to choose at all, unless I want to.

I've already addressed this:

The fact that there are choices out there you haven't encountered, or have chosen not to encounter, doesn't mean you can defy making choice. All it means is that we have some influence over which choices we have to make. In other words, we still are reactionary creatures even though we're able to shape which choices we must react to.

In your situation, you could very well just entertain flavors, and then not make an ice-cream selection. This is still making a choice, a choice not to buy ice-cream. What about this don't you understand?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:13 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
I've already addressed this:

The fact that there are choices out there you haven't encountered, or have chosen not to encounter, doesn't mean you can defy making choice. All it means is that we have some influence over which choices we have to make. In other words, we still are reactionary creatures even though we're able to shape which choices we must react to.

In your situation, you could very well just entertain flavors, and then not make an ice-cream selection. This is still making a choice, a choice not to buy ice-cream. What about this don't you understand?

Nothing I don't understand. What I do understand is that, you are so using terms that it is impossible (by definition) not to make a choice. It is very like the maneuver in the selfishness thread made by Boagie and others. Normally, the way we use those terms, it is a question of fact whether or not people are making choices. But you are making it a matter of definition whether or not people make choices. And you think that because people have to make choices on your definition of "making choices" that in the way that the notion of making choices is ordinarily used, people also are forced to make choices. But that is fallacious. You have not discovered anything new about making choices (that we used to think we did not have to make them, and now we found out that we do). Rather what you have done is invented a different way of talking about making choices by which we must make choices. I have no objection, as long as you don't confuse the two.

paulhanke

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:52 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
paulhanke,Smile

Well, you could consider yourself one with the world, even a whole has its parts, you could be said to be part of this complex condition, part to part, part to the whole and the whole to each of it parts, so there is quite a complex condition here, but, as with the body, if a part ceases to function properly it causes disfunction throughout the organism. The influence of the indivdual parts considered by themselves do not have the influence of the whole upon the parts, thus the sense of being lead by the whole.

... in the case of an autopoietic system like the human brain-body system, I think you are correct - the whole causally affects the individual parts through feedback (downward causation) ... but is the physical world an autopoietic system? - I find that hard to fathom ... it seems to me that the physical world is (overall) more like a rock than a human ... and does a rock have the ability to causally affect its individual parts?

boagie wrote:
As to your sense of freewill, yes it is dependent upon the choices that you are able to make, my point was that you are not free to make no choice ...

... I didn't mean to imply that humans have the power to avoid making any choices - only the ones they can foresee ... and the ability to selectively choose courses of action so as to avoid undesirable situations in which we'd be forced to make undesirable choices (caught between a rock and a hard place) is distinctly advanced in humans ... a power which inanimate matter (which makes up the vast bulk of the physical world) does not possess ...

boagie wrote:
There is the exception of what we have today, the impact man has been able to effect upon the whole has been disastrous, he has in effective made the whole the second bannana so to speak, and it will not work. We are reactionary animals after all, and our reaction to sudden drastic change will be to perish.

... so if humankind can lead its dance with the world to the brink of self-destruction while in an ignorant stupor, can't an enlightened humankind also choose to lead the dance back toward co-existence and flourishing so that it doesn't have to later make a do-or-die choice between killing half the human race simply to survive or else extinction? ... if we were purely reactionary beings, we wouldn't see the impending extinction and would simply go extinct - there would be no "choice", only "reaction" ... that's what rocks do ... and fortunately, we're not rocks ... we do not simply react - we choose how to react ... the power to choose makes all the difference in the world ... seen from this perspective, "choice" is not some slavish drudgery - rather, "choice" is the very expression of our free will ...

click here

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:59 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I always thought that doing something of one's own free will is doing something which you are not forced to do. When I had to eat oatmeal when I was a child because my mother made me do it, I was not eating oatmeal of my own free will. But now, when I eat oatmeal because I know it is good for me, and I want to eat oatmeal, then I am eating oatmeal of my own free will. Isn't that how you, yourself, talk when you are not thinking about philosophy?

I know this thread has a lot of posts and this may have allready been said but...

When your mother 'forces' you to eat your oatmeal it doesn't violate your 'free will' (if you believe you have a free will)

That is because you still have a choice not to eat your oatmeal although you will suffer consequences there is nothing stopping you from not eating. Even if your mother was to force the food into your mouth it is not a violation of 'free will' as you still have the choice to decide whether to resist or not.

boagie

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 10:03 am
@paulhanke,
Paulhanke,Smile

You are quite right if choice is freewill then freewill it is. As to the other, there is no escaping the reality that we are reactionary creatures, you say because we can precieve the on coming desaster that are actions are not in fact reactions? If you doubt how the physcial world could be that complex, just remind yourself it give rise to you.

paulhanke

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 10:56 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
... there is no escaping the reality that we are reactionary creatures ...

... personally, I would say that we're "interactionary creatures" ... I think this phrasing better illuminates the fact that we are in a dance of "mutual reaction" ... that it is not the case that the rest of the physical world acts and we react (nor vice versa) - that at the physical level we are on a level playing field ... but on this playing field, it is the creatures with free will that come out ahead Wink

boagie

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 12:56 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... personally, I would say that we're "interactionary creatures" ... I think this phrasing better illuminates the fact that we are in a dance of "mutual reaction" ... that it is not the case that the rest of the physical world acts and we react (nor vice versa) - that at the physical level we are on a level playing field ... but on this playing field, it is the creatures with free will that come out ahead Wink

paulhanke,Smile

I can see I have failed to convince you, I shall think on it some more. Does not the fact that our biology is rather fluid in the presence of the physcial world give the edge to the physcial enviroment? You as an individual are utterly dependent upon your environment, your environment is not dependent upon your existence. I shall think over the points you raised and perhaps get back to you. You really need to work on your social skills paulhanke, it is not nice to disagree with me---lol!! Just a thought, intereactionary does not mean you are not a reactionary creature, but you are inferring that the world and its contents are reactionary to you--right? In degree I do concur, but the environment still leads, its called evolutionary biology.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 01:02 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
paulhanke,Smile

I can see I have failed to convince you, I shall think on it some more. Does not the fact that our biology is rather fluid in the presence of the physcial world give the edge to the physcial enviroment? You as an individual are utterly dependent upon your environment, your environment is not dependent upon your existence. I shall think over the points you raised and perhaps get back to you. You really need to work on your social skills paulhanke, it is not nice to disagree with me---lol!! Just a thought, intereactionary does not mean you are not a reactionary creature, but you are inferring that the world and its contents are reactionary to you--right? In degree I do concur, but the environment still leads, its called evolutionary biology.

What has that to do with the fact that I chose vanilla but I could have chosen chocolate ice-cream. So no one, and nothing forced me to choose vanilla, and therefore, I chose vanilla freely?

paulhanke

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 01:59 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Does not the fact that our biology is rather fluid in the presence of the physcial world give the edge to the physcial enviroment?

... from that perspective, perhaps so ... but how you look at things can make a difference, yes? ... for example, try this restatement on for size:

"Does not the fact that our biology is a rather fluid manifestation of the physical world give us an edge over the other things in the physical world that are not as fluid?"

... that is, if we embrace that we are an integral part of the physical world rather than pit ourselves as somehow outside and against it, then this spooky omnipotent entity called "the environment" disappears ... yes, I can choose to carve the physical world up into "me" and "not me" - but that in no way implies that "not me" is a singular unified force that pulls my strings like a puppet ... rather, "not me" is a multitudinous jumble of things (some of which bear a striking resemblance to "me"!) each of which I interact with on a more or less individual basis ... when I dance with the inanimate things in this multitude, I am obviously in the lead; when I dance with the things that resemble me, who exactly is in the lead is not as clear ... but on average, I am in the lead Wink

And if the physical world disappears tomorrow, then I disappear too ... but not because the physical world is some "environment" upon which I depend ... but rather because I am an integral part of the physical world!

boagie wrote:
... it is not nice to disagree with me---lol!!

... ack! - is that you, Mother Nature?! ... *ZAP!*

boagie

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 04:18 pm
@paulhanke,
Paulhanke,Smile

Well, you are obviously a communist-------lol! Yes I do see what you mean but, does a part really have more or as much an influence on the whole as the whole does upon a part? You say when I dance with the innamate you lead, not so, the totality is largely innamate, seems somehow through, we both have a bit of the truth, I suppose it would be wise to try and merge the two pieces. Yours does sound wholistic, but at the sacrafice of understaning our relation to the earth. You've made some excellent points, I'll have to chew on what you've said for awhile. Thanks Paulhanke for the post ---excellent!!

kennethamy

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:19 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
paulhanke,Smile

Is this still about free will?

paulhanke

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 10:54 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
... I suppose it would be wise to try and merge the two pieces.

... or maybe it's wise to understand that one single perspective may not be able to tell the whole story ... when I pick up a hammer and saw and build a house, I lead the dance (the "more" part of the phrase "interact with on a more or less individual basis") ... on the other hand, when the earth convulses in a seismic fit, or Gaia defends herself against the human species in a battle of titans, I can easily be swept asunder (the "less" part of the phrase "interact with on a more or less individual basis") ... but in terms of the larger scheme of things, it's interesting to contemplate how many (living?) systems I am or am a part of - I am I; I am part of the human species; I am part of the biosphere; I am part of Gaia ... does my free will in any way contribute to the collective "free will" (whatever that may mean) of these larger systems? ...

Zetherin

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 12:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Nothing I don't understand. What I do understand is that, you are so using terms that it is impossible (by definition) not to make a choice. It is very like the maneuver in the selfishness thread made by Boagie and others. Normally, the way we use those terms, it is a question of fact whether or not people are making choices. But you are making it a matter of definition whether or not people make choices. And you think that because people have to make choices on your definition of "making choices" that in the way that the notion of making choices is ordinarily used, people also are forced to make choices. But that is fallacious. You have not discovered anything new about making choices (that we used to think we did not have to make them, and now we found out that we do). Rather what you have done is invented a different way of talking about making choices by which we must make choices. I have no objection, as long as you don't confuse the two.

I understand the differentiation.

I believe when contemplating all of this, however, I've come to the realization one cannot avoid making choice completely, and that was the initial point of this. Sometimes the abstract realizations I come to seep their way into my more practical writing. I could have articulated this in a different, more understandable manner. I apologize for the confusion as I'm not that well-spoken.

Be well,

Zeth

boagie

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 01:06 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... or maybe it's wise to understand that one single perspective may not be able to tell the whole story ... when I pick up a hammer and saw and build a house, I lead the dance (the "more" part of the phrase "interact with on a more or less individual basis") ... on the other hand, when the earth convulses in a seismic fit, or Gaia defends herself against the human species in a battle of titans, I can easily be swept asunder (the "less" part of the phrase "interact with on a more or less individual basis") ... but in terms of the larger scheme of things, it's interesting to contemplate how many (living?) systems I am or am a part of - I am I; I am part of the human species; I am part of the biosphere; I am part of Gaia ... does my free will in any way contribute to the collective "free will" (whatever that may mean) of these larger systems? ...

paulhanke,Smile

I follow you for the most part, but just the fact that the physcial world is there as object, its content our consciousness, leads me to believe that it demands response, and that response is reaction, consciousness itself is reaction to object. Your taking hammer and saw to build a house can be seen as reaction, both for your need of shelter and the presence of the means. Sorry if I am frustrating you in anyway, you appear to be well versed in complex systems, my own understanding is very limited.

paulhanke

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:28 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
... but just the fact that the physcial world is there as object, its content our consciousness, leads me to believe that it demands response, and that response is reaction, consciousness itself is reaction to object. Your taking hammer and saw to build a house can be seen as reaction, both for your need of shelter and the presence of the means.

... if you want to characterize what consciousness does as "reaction" that works ... but I think we need to make clear that by saying "consciousness reacts" we are in no way implying that "the physical world acts", as this can result in incoherence:

1. Consciousness reacts
2. The physical world acts
3. Consciousness is part of the physical world
4. Therefore, consciousness acts (?)

... and so we're back to the level playing field - there is no action in the universe, only reaction ... nothing can demand response - there is only response in a never-ending cascade ... in which case, the quality of individual reactions makes a difference ... take a bunch of disassociated molecules that are identical in quantity to the molecules of my body, and put them in a jar ... stand me and that jar beside each other in the path of an oncoming train ... which collection of molecules will have the more self-sustaining reaction to the oncoming train? - me or the disembodied jar?

And in this thought experiment, do I have to react? ... certainly, as everything in the physical world has to react every second of every minute of every day (given that we've defined the terms such that there's no such thing as "action" in this universe) ... that's simply inescapable ... but it is the fact that I can choose how to react that sets me apart from an inanimate pool of molecules, yes?

boagie

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:49 am
@paulhanke,
Paulhanke,Smile

You do not disappoint, bloody marvelous!!! Within this concept though, if we cannot say that the physcial world acts, then what does react mean, could not it be said then that the mere presence of the physcial world then is stimulus enough to effect reaction within itself. As far as your ability to chose your reaction, compared to the lack of choice on the part of the innamate world, is that then, how one defines one's freewill by comparison? One still cannot, not chose, or not react.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 01:51:43